There is no reason Geno Can not be good

LTH

Reaction score
He is a vet QB, he knows the system like the back of his hand... he has talent around him. I don't think there will be much of a drop off... I think Geno will use HIS OWN skill set to create some wins might just be what the Hawks need...I for one am intrigued... Looks like Wilson is going to be out 4-6 weeks...

Mean while it sounds like Carroll has a fix for the D. It sounds like it could be fixed by adjusting the scheme. maybe we will see more dime... maybe they will use Jamal more as a linebacker and play Neil at safety ...

all is NOT lost... weve seen this before its just next man up only difference is that it's Wilson this time... no big deal we got this... GO GENO!!!

LTH

Reaction score
I agree. Thinking Waldron will get to work to try to make it easier for Geno. Good chance we'll see some more of that creativity we saw from the offense that we did in the first game against Indy.

Still a lot of football left to be played. If they go around .500 in the games that Wilson misses, I still think they can push for a wildcard spot.

Go Geno and Go Hawks!

diver110

Reaction score
I hope you are right, but doubt it, unless it is a one-game thing. There is too little room for error, given our record. If he could carry the team, he would be a starter.

Jamal’s ex

Reaction score
Geno’s problem in NY, imho, was immaturity and insecurity. He has all the physical ability in the world and I don’t think he’s any sort of dummy, but he just wasn’t grown up emotionally. That first drive of his really impressed me and I thought that maybe with time he had grown into himself, but once he threw his first incomplete you could see his confidence shaken a bit. But it was his reaction after the interception that looked to me like he hadn’t matured at all. The cameras stayed on him for awhile while he basically had a tantrum. Yes, any player is going to be upset there, but he’s the QB of the team now, he has to be the leader, not off by himself brooding.

He’ll be better prepared to start this week getting all the reps, but he looks to me like a guy who’s going to continue to be easy to rattle. He just lets things get to him too much.

xray

Reaction score
Jamal’s ex":3v6kssfl said:
Geno’s problem in NY, imho, was immaturity and insecurity. He has all the physical ability in the world and I don’t think he’s any sort of dummy, but he just wasn’t grown up emotionally. That first drive of his really impressed me and I thought that maybe with time he had grown into himself, but once he threw his first incomplete you could see his confidence shaken a bit. But it was his reaction after the interception that looked to me like he hadn’t matured at all. The cameras stayed on him for awhile while he basically had a tantrum. Yes, any player is going to be upset there, but he’s the QB of the team now, he has to be the leader, not off by himself brooding.

He’ll be better prepared to start this week getting all the reps, but he looks to me like a guy who’s going to continue to be easy to rattle. He just lets things get to him too much.

^
Thanx for the update .

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Jamal’s ex":2wofj4vj said:

I think Geno has matured be hind Wilson for what 3-4 years...that's a really good scenario for him to learn and grow...

I'm telling ya If the steerlers come out with a blitz package because they want to find out if Geno can handle pressure they are going to give up a big play and Geno is going to pick them apart.. this could be fun to watch...

LTH

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Love your optimism. Too bad that Geno needs to be great to overcome this awful defense.

I don't think Geno has greatness in him. Good maybe. Great. That would be a stretch.

xray

Reaction score
He's on the roster of a NFL team , which makes him a good player to start with . Their are hundreds of good players including many QBs in the NFL . There is a wide gape between good and great however .

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2e0popum said:
Love your optimism. Too bad that Geno needs to be great to overcome this awful defense.

I don't think Geno has greatness in him. Good maybe. Great. That would be a stretch.

There might be some newness advantage with scheme and individual player that puts other teams at a disadvantage for one to several games. That could be enough to help him succeed individually, or at least not play badly.

But if the defense plays like it has been the probabilities are not good at all for him or the team.

I'd like to see him do well and the team win, but it's really hard given where the rest of the team is at (especially the defense) with a top QB. Someone with Smith's history? Definitely super optimistic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's an average QB, there's plenty of reason he can't be good. Until I see different, he's average.
I hope to be very wrong. We need him.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2s1nkirl said:
He's an average QB, there's plenty of reason he can't be good. Until I see different, he's average.

Here is the thing... that's what every other person is thinking because he has had an average to below average career so far...

He started out in a dysfunctional organization when he was a rookie, started right away... I mean how many times have you seen this? QB is a very complicated position it takes time to learn to play QB in the NFL.

He has learned behind some good QB's.. Manning, Rivers, Wilson... It's not a matter of physical attributes, he has those, its a matter of mental preparation... Its the mental side of the game that makes or breaks a QB... what better place to pick up that part of the game than in Seattle with Pete Carroll and Russ.

When we see him play is mostly in pre season when he is playing with all the guys who have no chance of making this team... so he looks very average because that's what's around him, average players most of which will not make an NFL roster. So he gets labeled as average...

I think he is above average and just hasn't had a reasonable chance to show what he 's got in a functional organization willing to bring him along properly...until now

I'm my opinion a QB should sit on the bench and learn like Aaron Rodgers did...

That's the way I see it and I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at what he brings...

LTH

keasley45

Reaction score
LTH":h9vdn7rx said:
SoulfishHawk":h9vdn7rx said:

Here is the thing... that's what every other person is thinking because he has had an average to below average career so far...

He started out in a dysfunctional organization when he was a rookie, started right away... I mean how many times have you seen this? QB is a very complicated position it takes time to learn to play QB in the NFL.

He has learned behind some good QB's.. Manning, Rivers, Wilson... It's not a matter of physical attributes, he has those, its a matter of mental preparation... Its the mental side of the game that makes or breaks a QB... what better place to pick up that part of the game than in Seattle with Pete Carroll and Russ.

When we see him play is mostly in pre season when he is playing with all the guys who have no chance of making this team... so he looks very average because that's what's around him, average players most of which will not make an NFL roster. So he gets labeled as average...

I think he is above average and just hasn't had a reasonable chance to show what he 's got in a functional organization willing to bring him along properly...until now

I'm my opinion a QB should sit on the bench and learn like Aaron Rodgers did...

That's the way I see it and I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at what he brings...

LTH

Agree with this. Rex Ryan was his coach and was a defensive minded blowhard that never wanted Geno in the first place. When all the talk was going around this offseason about who to bring in 'for Russ' as an OC, there was almost unanimous agreement that it should be someone with whom he could connect and get the best out of him. So the idea that you can be in a situation where those around you, particularly your coaches and coordinators can either hold you back or elevate you shoukd transfer to Geno as well.

He was literally on a team that is NFL purgatory if not hell, playing for a coach that should have never held the position. So to now go out and hang a forecast for who Geno might be based on who he was in that scenario... particularly by those on this forum who so adamantly claimed Russ was being wasted by his coaches, and would be so much more under better leadership, is kind of cherry picking a bit, no? I mean, if RW was being held back in SEATTLE, why couldn't Geno's average performance have been a product of the dumpster fire of an organization and staff he had in NY. We're talking about the Jets, folks. They haven't had a decent qb since Sanchez and pre-injury Chad Pennington. And decent is as good as they could ever possibly be characterized. Other than that? Brett Favre for the wink of an eye and Kenny O'Brian. That's how effective the Jets are at growing that position.

Look what Sam Darnold has done since escaping NY...

It's not a stretch.

And Geno doesn't have to carry the defense anymore than he has to carry the offense. He just needs to play cleanly within the system and maximize drives and the plays Waldron gives him. And isn't that what Waldron was literally brought here to do? Create a qb/ pass friendly system that makes things easy for a QB?

chris98251

Reaction score
Geno from what I read over thinks or did anyway, he was a preparation fanatic and if he didn't exactly see things the way he needed he would not pull the trigger and then lose opportunity, (Sound Familiar) was not patient in doing this on the field, unlike Wilson did not have a Lynch and a top all time defense to get him thru stuff.

Now seasoned he still prepares but said and seems more patient. We seen that in relief, now we have to see if it carries over.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
How he mentally performs in the next few games might make a difference in where he sees himself in the next few years.
It might very well be on his mind, that IF he performs above average in this stretch, that he could wind up being a starter instead of a backup somewhere in the League.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
scutterhawk":yrfintre said:
How he mentally performs in the next few games might make a difference in where he sees himself in the next few years.
It might very well be on his mind, that IF he performs above average in this stretch, that he could wind up being a starter instead of a backup somewhere in the League.

This is Geno's moment of truth for sure...I don't think there is a better scenario for the health of this team at least for the offense than Geno's complete success... He needs to push Wilson...

LTH

Fade

Reaction score
Can the Seahawks block TJ Watt?

If the answer is... yes, I think he can have an admiral performance.

Have to take it week by week, don't have enough data to make any bold proclamations.

John63

Reaction score
LTH":3vlbitzv said:
scutterhawk":3vlbitzv said:

This is Geno's moment of truth for sure...I don't think there is a better scenario for the health of this team at least for the offense than Geno's complete success... He needs to push Wilson...

LTH

I agree the qb with the best passwr rating in the league, and amongst the tops in intd/int ratio, ypa, tds, complt% while being 27rh in attemts needs to be pushed..
Not

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Fade":i62hyxgo said:

Have to take it week by week, don't have enough data to make any bold proclamations.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen enough of Geno Smith during his entire career to know he’s a mediocre backup. Sometimes you just know when someone has that it factor and when they don’t.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":15e9m8v9 said:

No they can't Jones whiffed badly on what should have been the game winning drive Geno gets sacked we lose.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
2 turn overs with the game on the line 2weeks in a row? He is costing us wins.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Latest posts