Do you think Pete regrets not trading for Sam Darnold?

Mizak

Reaction score
I mean, look what hes doing in Carolina. He would be the perfect fit for how Pete wants to run this offense. Short passes, RB screens, jet sweeps, TOP, patience.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Mizak":xfq1gk2b said:
I mean, look what hes doing in Carolina. He would be the perfect fit for how Pete wants to run this offense. Short passes, RB screens, jet sweeps, TOP, patience.
I’m so sick of Carroll and his trades.

I wish Jody Allen would trade Carroll.

JPatera76

Reaction score
No Pete hates short passes and screens.

RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN LONG BALL RUN RUN RUN with that old crusty turd

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete hates short passes and screens?

2015 called, it wants its narrative back.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The only QB that can win with this defense is Wilson.

Darnold would not make much difference because he isn't going to score 4 TDs a game.

Because we would still have Norton.

You need a QB that can score you 28 pts a game, there are not that many of those.

pmedic920

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":30ucz091 said:
The only QB that can win with this defense is Wilson.

Darnold would not make much difference because he isn't going to score 4 TDs a game.

Because we would still have Norton.

You need a QB that can score you 28 pts a game, there are not that many of those.
But if we TRADE for all of them eventually one might work, right?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3ex6kjxl said:
Pete hates short passes and screens?

2015 called, it wants its narrative back.

Well he did have Lynch and Baldwin that season.

flv

Reaction score
I was surprised that any team would gave up 2nd & 4th round picks for Darnold and then pay him $23.6M over 2 years. It's certainly not something a team that already had a better QB than Darnold should have considered.

LTH

Reaction score
Mizak":2pijxqgl said:

No I don't think Carroll regrets not signing Donald. I think he has complete confidence in Wilson and Geno. I think he has confidence that the rest of the team will rise to the occasion... we will see..

LTH

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
No.

Darnold would get killed in this offense.

Don’t get where the Darnold worship comes from, unless you’re a USC alum.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Everything about the QB situation feeds back into one thing: there are very few good ones and any one you draft will probably suck.

If you're the kind of person who wants to take the low probability gamble of dumping Wilson for pick and cap space just to watch this team wallow in QB hell for years or decades for a moonshot, that's one thing. You're a gambler: high risk, high reward.

But to everybody else: people talking about Darnold like he's even an average NFL QB (and the average still sucks) because he had a good start to the season on the back of a seemingly brutal defense are delusional. People who talk about trading Wilson away and getting some picks, building a great team and somehow finding

The Bears haven't had a good consistent QB since Sid Luckman like 70 years ago. The Broncos (outside of the Manning rental) and the Dolphins have been QB crapholes since Elway and Marino left. We all have love for Zorn and Krieg, but those weren't even good QBs. Krieg had a couple good years and other than that he was as streaky and unreliable as they come. This team existed for over two decades before somebody steady came along. Hasselbeck was good, Wilson is great. Some of the people who post here aren't that young. If it takes another 30 years to get another QB as great as Wilson has been, a lot of the posters here probably won't be alive to see it.

Geno Smith is going to have to unlock something in his head that wasn't there before. It's possible but it is insanely unlikely. Dude's not even an NFL starter, and that's not a good thing given how bad 10-15 of the starters are on other teams. He might have a few okay to good games (maybe even a great one), but when a team gameplans against him and he has to play with this defense, it doesn't bode well.

QBs that doesn't suck eat up a ton of cap space. A bunch of QBs that suck are eating up a ton of cap space too. Kirk Cousins is a $31 million cap hit this year, Jimmy G is almost $27 million, Rothlesburger is $26 million, Derek Carr is $22 million.

I've said this a bunch of times before: if we don't have Wilson we likely either have a crappy young dude like Drew Lock who is cheap and sucks or we have some veteran who saves us a whole $10 million against the cap. That's it. $10 million. Sure, you can draft the next great rookie, but this is such a huge gamble versus knowing you have one of the big ones even though you have to pay.

If you think Wilson can go out the door and any GM could find a great QB to draft with any certainty, you are absolutely delusional.

LTH

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3dva12tk said:
Everything about the QB situation feeds back into one thing: there are very few good ones and any one you draft will probably suck.

If you're the kind of person who wants to take the low probability gamble of dumping Wilson for pick and cap space just to watch this team wallow in QB hell for years or decades for a moonshot, that's one thing. You're a gambler: high risk, high reward.

But to everybody else: people talking about Darnold like he's even an average NFL QB (and the average still sucks) because he had a good start to the season on the back of a seemingly brutal defense are delusional. People who talk about trading Wilson away and getting some picks, building a great team and somehow finding

The Bears haven't had a good consistent QB since Sid Luckman like 70 years ago. The Broncos (outside of the Manning rental) and the Dolphins have been QB crapholes since Elway and Marino left. We all have love for Zorn and Krieg, but those weren't even good QBs. Krieg had a couple good years and other than that he was as streaky and unreliable as they come. This team existed for over two decades before somebody steady came along. Hasselbeck was good, Wilson is great. Some of the people who post here aren't that young. If it takes another 30 years to get another QB as great as Wilson has been, a lot of the posters here probably won't be alive to see it.

Geno Smith is going to have to unlock something in his head that wasn't there before. It's possible but it is insanely unlikely. Dude's not even an NFL starter, and that's not a good thing given how bad 10-15 of the starters are on other teams. He might have a few okay to good games (maybe even a great one), but when a team gameplans against him and he has to play with this defense, it doesn't bode well.

QBs that doesn't suck eat up a ton of cap space. A bunch of QBs that suck are eating up a ton of cap space too. Kirk Cousins is a $31 million cap hit this year, Jimmy G is almost $27 million, Rothlesburger is $26 million, Derek Carr is $22 million.

I've said this a bunch of times before: if we don't have Wilson we likely either have a crappy young dude like Drew Lock who is cheap and sucks or we have some veteran who saves us a whole $10 million against the cap. That's it. $10 million. Sure, you can draft the next great rookie, but this is such a huge gamble versus knowing you have one of the big ones even though you have to pay.

If you think Wilson can go out the door and any GM could find a great QB to draft with any certainty, you are absolutely delusional.
I don't think you have to have a great QB to be a good football team. you have to have a QB that doesn't turn the ball over... that is capable of making all the throws and some one who makes good decisions... I don't think matt Hasselbeck was a great QB he was a very good , solid QB... but the flip side his if you have a QB that is just good they players around him have to be really good the D has to be very good and IMO that is obtainable if a team doesn't have a contract like Wilson's...

Just my take

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
LTH,

You might want to check the rankings.

You pretty much have to have a good QB or even great QB to have a good football team.

There are very few good teams with average or below average QBs. There are a few bad teams with above average QBs. But almost the entire top 10 of the league, has top QBs.

Yes, in today's NFL, you have to have a good QB. There is very little success without one.

toffee

Reaction score
I speculate Wilson stop the Jet talk by naming 4 acceptable teams, I further speculate that John and Jets talked about something in the line of Wilson + XXX (say Flowers lol) for Darnold, this year's first, next year's first (Hawks') , and a second round pick from 2023. I guess in John's mind, he could trade that first into multiple of picks.

NY is a huge media market but Jets sucked, it could be bad for Wilson's career. Would such a move good for the Hawks? Hard to say, but I will speculate Hawks will suck with a record like 2-3 under Darnold with fans calling for Pete's head.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2k2yp43g said:
LTH,

You might want to check the rankings.

You pretty much have to have a good QB or even great QB to have a good football team.

There are very few good teams with average or below average QBs. There are a few bad teams with above average QBs. But almost the entire top 10 of the league, has top QBs.

Yes, in today's NFL, you have to have a good QB. There is very little success without one.

It just depends on what QB you could get to replace him... some times teams make ridiculous trades for great players and its completely obvious to me that the Hawks need a top ten draft... they need an infusion of great young talent... what QB? I don't know.. what the deal would look like I don't know... but for the right deal it should be a consideration that's my point.

I might be wrong thats just the way I see it...

LTH

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sam darnold has 6 touchdown passes and 6 picks as a QB.

I know he has run for TDs but you want that for your QB?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bmorepunk":n582zi4i said:

Bingo! Well stated! :2thumbs: