Does our defense suck because they practice against Russell?

Tokadub

Reaction score
Serious question hear me out...

Let's say every practice our defense has is based on plays for Russell Wilson and his skill set.

93% of teams don't run plays like what we do with Russell Wilson. Maybe Kyler Murray does? I can't think of another QB who would excel in a similar offense.

So we are practicing and preparing for other teams with plays THAT NO OTHER TEAMS RUN AGAINST US???

That would explain why our team has no idea how to cover the middle of the field, Wilson doesn't throw there very often!

Seems like common sense but I've never heard anyone make this conclusion.

We need to start preparing the defense to play well against what other teams do! Not what Russell Wilson does!

If this theory is true, the defense might start improving by practicing with Geno Smith.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
No. They suck because the scheme is broken. If you play 10 yards off of the receivers and have linebackers on receivers, you know something has gone terribly wrong. We don't make teams work for it, all they have to do is throw 5-10 yard passes all day and there is nothing our defense can do about it.

It's a death by 1000 paper cuts. Eventually they get worn out and give up plays over the top, or massive runs for big gains. This is 100% the scheme and likely a lack of talent at CB.

PNW

Reaction score
No they suck because of coaching and scheme.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
What's worse, this question or the "<insert coach here> doesn't prepare for games!" sentiment?

keasley45

Reaction score
I think the way it works is that when they are prepping for an opponent, they'll have the 2nd team offense emulate the offense of the upcoming opponent against the no 1 defense. That's how they get the looks and formations the next opponent will run. That allows our no1 offense to focus on installing their game plan. Could be wrong tbough.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I thought it was because our film room has been closed all year since that part of the VMAC is under construction

cymatica

Reaction score
I thought the practice squad players were supposed to emulate the opponent. Regardless, Wilson was the QB in the LOB days

seabowl

Reaction score
How was the 2012-2015 defense that practiced against Russell?

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":2t3jy6x9 said:
I think the way it works is that when they are prepping for an opponent, they'll have the 2nd team offense emulate the offense of the upcoming opponent against the no 1 defense. That's how they get the looks and formations the next opponent will run. That allows our no1 offense to focus on installing their game plan. Could be wrong tbough.

your not wrong

lth

John63

Reaction score
Tokadub":2sgajh5t said:

Let's say every practice our defense has is based on plays for Russell Wilson and his skill set.

93% of teams don't run plays like what we do with Russell Wilson. Maybe Kyler Murray does? I can't think of another QB who would excel in a similar offense.

So we are practicing and preparing for other teams with plays THAT NO OTHER TEAMS RUN AGAINST US???

That would explain why our team has no idea how to cover the middle of the field, Wilson doesn't throw there very often!

We need to start preparing the defense to play well against what other teams do! Not what Russell Wilson does!

If this theory is true, the defense might start improving by practicing with Geno Smith.

Jesus christ what's next to its Wilson's fault the Fg kicker is missing FGs? Are you going to blame him for the rain too? When preparing fo rth other teams' offense it is not Wilson running it.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
John63":2brtt32w said:
Jesus christ what's next to its Wilson's fault the Fg kicker is missing FGs? Are you going to blame him for the rain too? When preparing fo rth other teams' offense it is not Wilson running it.

Well, Russ hasn't been telling people "Let's be great" this year. I blame him for not being a mental cheerleader this year. I also blame him for slimming down, it's making me look bad in front of my wife.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Tokadub":1yo3ugvr said:

Or...maybe they are getting the defense ready to play against Russ next year when he's playing for SF.
You didnt think this through very well!!!

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
keasley45":2r224yzv said:

I imagine at this level, the practice squad guys get a lot of that duty along with 2/3 deep players. These days I'm not sure how much of that actually happens on the field anymore. Lots of film and maybe some full speed no tackling stuff, then a walk through to finish it off

John63

Reaction score
MyrtleHawk":2o70suoh said:
John63":2o70suoh said:

Well, Russ hasn't been telling people "Let's be great" this year. I blame him for not being a mental cheerleader this year. I also blame him for slimming down, it's making me look bad in front of my wife.

Lol

ZagHawk

Reaction score
As others have said, coaching and the scheme.

You pick a scheme that will work against your opponent and your current team CAN execute. Not the scheme your 2011-2013 team could execute.

balakoth

Reaction score
While not a fan of MOST of your posts

I have felt this way for about 3 years now

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1f1rbk8u said:
No. They suck because the scheme is broken. If you play 10 yards off of the receivers and have linebackers on receivers, you know something has gone terribly wrong. We don't make teams work for it, all they have to do is throw 5-10 yard passes all day and there is nothing our defense can do about it.

It's a death by 1000 paper cuts. Eventually they get worn out and give up plays over the top, or massive runs for big gains. This is 100% the scheme and likely a lack of talent at CB.

Yeah that's kind of my point. They throw 5-10 or even (15-25) yard easy completions. I don't think we "eventually get worn out", it's more like we don't know how to stop what they do for 80% of the game with the 5-10 yard throws over the middle.

I will agree our scheme is broken, but I still think it's very possible our players are performing WAY worst (if you believe we have any talent) due to practicing against Russell Wilson and he doesn't play like 93% of the other QBs in the league.

Our defense is spending all their time and effort on how to defend stuff that ONLY RUSSELL WILSON DOES!!!

This is what you call "tunnel vision" Wilson is so obsessed to get every rep on offense that our defense can't practice adequately! Our coaches should be the ones responsible for that but I don't think they do anything based on our results...

PS:
KJ WRIGHT, Bruce Irvin, and a prime Bobby Wagner would disagree that if you have a linebacker covering a receiver that's a problem. The difference was we had Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor so it worked... now we have Jamal Adams so EVERYTHING DOESN'T WORK!!!