Paul Moyer addresses the defensive breakdowns

Jville

Reaction score
I realize many will not be able to follow along all that well. But, that shouldn't negate a link to a good podcast for the rest of us. :2thumbs:

This time Paul goes in-depth on where the defensive breakdowns are happening and explains what has to occur for them to get fixed. >>> [urltargetblank]https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=62983b05-6fec-4b7d-8afc-adc1017b4339&sid=1013&n=Wyman+and+Bob[/urltargetblank]

keasley45

Reaction score
Great post and its a great listen. I've been saying all along that for the defense, it's not that they aren't good in terms of potential. They just arent executing. And that is in part because there are likely too many variables as to what to do on a given route combination. So it's either we practice the 'if, then's...' over and over again (challenging because of the cba) until their legs fall off, or you pair back the complexity. I think Pete is/was hoping that the guys woukd get it a bit quicker, but we had zero preseason, and Adams saw no field time... then Diggs sat. All in all there was little time to get everyone on the same page.

The first half of the Niners game was a big step forward, and that was in part because of the dime sets we deployed, but the base defense played well in the first half despite being drastically out possessed.

The Rams game was similar and that was without the dime package, only allowing 3 in the first half against what should have been 14 or more for us. And the truth is that some of what beats us week in and week out is giving other good defenses in the league problems as well.

I think we are getting better. There are still some maddening plays that seem to work against them over and over but I'm optimistic they'll start to pull things together.

Fade

Reaction score
Players, especially ones that have been in the system for multiple years failing to execute is on the coaching.

What was especially alarming was in Pete's post-game presser he talked about the things they worked on in practice to stop the Rams was ignored in the game.

So are the players ignoring instruction and tuning him out, or is there a breakdown in communication?

Regardless of which, it falls on the coaching.

The players outside of Sidney shouldn't have a problem consistently executing, they've been in the same defense for multiple seasons.

It's not an exotic defense that is multiple, everything is clear and defined and has keys & rules that are simple compared to other schemes. Pete designed it that way to avoid what has been happening week after week, but yet it still does.

The worst defense in NFL history, will have a ton of issues that goes beyond execution. It is structurally and philosophically flawed.

The silver lining is they can point to the turn around last year, and hope to duplicate it, but outside of that I'm finding it hard to point to anything that would indicate a turn around. They can't even stop the run, it's bad.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It's a different defense struggling to gel in 2021.

Bobby Wagner and others, along with coaches, have taken ownership.

Seahawks have had a long week plus to address breakdowns.

This Sunday should feature more adjustments and auditions.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I say if we loose to Pit then we Trade Bobby if that clears cap for next year. Let Jamal take the lead and see if we can have a little more nastiness.

mistaowen

Reaction score
If the Steelers move the ball with ease tomorrow with 1) Big Ben one foot into retirement with no arm 2) missing starting WR 3) one of the worst OL in the NFL, can we finally admit changes need to happen to the coaching staff or do we give the team a 5 loss cushion because Russell is hurt.

BASF

Reaction score
mistaowen":2f0w5c8u said:
If the Steelers move the ball with ease tomorrow with 1) Big Ben one foot into retirement with no arm 2) missing starting WR 3) one of the worst OL in the NFL, can we finally admit changes need to happen to the coaching staff or do we give the team a 5 loss cushion because Russell is hurt.

Please name any poster here that wants to retain any of the defensive coaching staff. I do not think there has been any post that was positive towards Norton since he was hired.