This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The New Orlean Saints

IronSaint

Reaction score
Saints Report is my home board and mostly filled with good posters; like any team specific board you'll have your absolute homers that just want to trash talk opposing fans when they show up, but quite a few of us there really do love a good football discussion with fans of any team. One of your own regularly posts (I believe his username is "onanygivensunday" or something similar.

Can't speak on "Black and Gold" but Jesus H. Christ on a pogostick, Tiger Droppings is literally that: a virtual cesspool. Lots of ignorant homers on there with the most asinine thoughts.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
IronSaint":13pnh7st said:
Saints Report is my home board and mostly filled with good posters; like any team specific board you'll have your absolute homers that just want to trash talk opposing fans when they show up, but quite a few of us there really do love a good football discussion with fans of any team. One of your own regularly posts (I believe his username is "onanygivensunday" or something similar.

Can't speak on "Black and Gold" but Jesus H. Christ on a pogostick, Tiger Droppings is literally that: a virtual cesspool. Lots of ignorant homers on there with the most asinine thoughts.

No sarcasm. Real Questions. How’s your QB working out for you? I saw Taysom Hill had a concussion. Is that why his stats are so bad? Last years numbers running and passing were great. Or they just not running things for him? You are coming off a bye but you don’t really need that extra time to game plan Seattle. Beating the Packers soundly and losing to the Giants? Did you survive your salary cap issues somewhat intact? How would RW fit on your team if he wants out?

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
IronSaint":11q1pocq said:

Welcome back, IronSaint. Now, just waiting for our old Saints fan buddy AsylumGuido to show up.

IronSaint

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3a6dtig6 said:
No sarcasm. Real Questions. How’s your QB working out for you? I saw Taysom Hill had a concussion. Is that why his stats are so bad? Last years numbers running and passing were great. Or they just not running things for him? You are coming off a bye but you don’t really need that extra time to game plan Seattle. Beating the Packers soundly and losing to the Giants? Did you survive your salary cap issues somewhat intact? How would RW fit on your team if he wants out?
All good, Mike, no offense taken, haha.

As for our QB situation, it's been rather hot and cold. Winston will have his moments where he makes an amazing throw, immediately followed by a boneheaded one (or turnover) where you're like "WTF were you thinking?" However he has greatly reduced his turnover % since coming to New Orleans, which is what we were expecting by playing in Payton's system. He hasn't been putting up insane passing numbers thus far, but I and many other Saints fans seem to believe that Payton has yet to turn Winston completely loose regarding the playbook. While it can't be proven one way or another it seems to be the case since his pass attempts have increased each game so far this year, largely since I feel Payton is beginning to trust him more since he's actually taking care of the ball much better than the beginning of his career.

As for Hill, he hasn't had many reps at QB (by reps at QB I mean actually throwing the ball) only attempting 4 passes (one of which was an INT on a underthrow deep the play immediately after Winston threw a deep TD that got called back for illegal formation due to Kamara being split out wide and covering the TE). Regarding his rushing and receiving numbers, they have indeed taken a bit of a dip thus far in part due to a few factors: the main one is he shed quite a bit of his muscle in preparation for the QB battle in camp with Winston I assume to be more agile in the pocket (not sure why), playing a part in that, it seems the only play we've been running with him at QB has been a QB draw to the right. Literally every time on 3rd & 2 or 3, regardless if all 11 defenders are right where the play is designed to go and it's been getting stuffed A LOT. I'm not sure if he can physically run left at this point. Take notice during our game in those situations if Hill is at QB where he's going to run; he'll run right and y'all will likely stuff it and I'll be fuming on my friend's couch saying I can call plays better than Payton. :lol:

And yeah, that Giants game was an absolute ****show, we should've put that game away in the 3rd quarter but our offense turtled up and played small ball, keeping the Giants alive until the defense couldn't hold anymore and finally broke,

As for the salary cap, we had a pretty big deficit we had to overcome to get under the cap and then try to retain players. We lost a few players as cap casualties (our CB2 Janoris Jenkins, WR2 Sanders, our P Morstead, TE1 Cook and TE2 Hill) along with a few to free agency (DE Hendrickson to the Bengals and our 3T Rankins to the Jets) and our NT Brown traded to the Jaguars in an attempt to create space. So 6 starters and 2 key depth players, not even counting Brees retiring. Our CB2 situation has been okay for the most part, our rookie Adebo has played very hard but as a rookie (and sitting out the 2020 college season) he's taking his lumps getting tested but I feel he's keeping his head above water. Our WR situation still sucks (with Thomas on the PUP and not really any notable name behind him).

We've had a lot of injury issues so far this year (our C McCoy has been out since Week 1 leading our RG Ruiz to playing center, LT Armstead went down a few weeks ago and has missed time, WR1 Thomas and WR2 Smith both haven't played a game this year, WR3/PR1 Harris is banged up, DE2 Davenport and WLB Alexander both played one game and got hurt again, CB1 Lattimore broke his hand and is playing with a cast, K Lutz hasn't played a game yet, DT1 Onyemata is suspended) so we're very fortunate to be 3-2 honestly.

A few of our injured players are almost ready to start practicing and a few are close to returning, McCoy is slated to return this week so 4 of our 5 OL are supposed to suit up against you guys, not sure about the status of Armstead yet though. Onyemata will miss this game though as he serves the last game of his suspension and will be fresh to face the Buccaneers next week which will be a much welcomed appearance because our run defense has been rather soft up the middle in his absence compared to previous years, although not having a quality NT also is contributing to that.

As for Wilson, man I'd love to have him honestly. I think he'd excel with Payton creating gameplans to Wilson's skill set and calling the plays. Our OL (when healthy) would consistently be able to provide him with a relatively clean pocket and when there is pressure, he's agile enough to elude and can make stuff happen on the move. That's one thing that I think is a knock on Jameis is he can't navigate the pocket well enough like Wilson or Brees could to avoid a pressure that might be leaking through and continue his reads and get rid of the ball whether it be downfield or throwing it away. He can do it in spots, but not as consistently as I'd like. On top of that, defenders wouldn't be able to show Wilson that much attention with Kamara being next to him in the backfield and I think Wilson would feel comfortable with having Michael Thomas and Deonte Harris to push the ball to after throwing to Metcalf and Lockett in Seattle (provided that Thomas isn't nearly the athletic freak Metcalf is but still a big body possession type and Harris is still pretty green compared to Lockett, but still an absolute speed demon downfield and can create separation).

I know this is long winded but hope I answered all of your questions. :D

BlueThunder":3a6dtig6 said:
Welcome back, IronSaint. Now, just waiting for our old Saints fan buddy AsylumGuido to show up.
Nice to be back, friend! I'm sure Guido will be around shortly. :)

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
IronSaint":2kxja3o0 said:
JayhawkMike":2kxja3o0 said:
All good, Mike, no offense taken, haha.

As for our QB situation, it's been rather hot and cold. Winston will have his moments where he makes an amazing throw, immediately followed by a boneheaded one (or turnover) where you're like "WTF were you thinking?" However he has greatly reduced his turnover % since coming to New Orleans, which is what we were expecting by playing in Payton's system. He hasn't been putting up insane passing numbers thus far, but I and many other Saints fans seem to believe that Payton has yet to turn Winston completely loose regarding the playbook. While it can't be proven one way or another it seems to be the case since his pass attempts have increased each game so far this year, largely since I feel Payton is beginning to trust him more since he's actually taking care of the ball much better than the beginning of his career.

As for Hill, he hasn't had many reps at QB (by reps at QB I mean actually throwing the ball) only attempting 4 passes (one of which was an INT on a underthrow deep the play immediately after Winston threw a deep TD that got called back for illegal formation due to Kamara being split out wide and covering the TE). Regarding his rushing and receiving numbers, they have indeed taken a bit of a dip thus far in part due to a few factors: the main one is he shed quite a bit of his muscle in preparation for the QB battle in camp with Winston I assume to be more agile in the pocket (not sure why), playing a part in that, it seems the only play we've been running with him at QB has been a QB draw to the right. Literally every time on 3rd & 2 or 3, regardless if all 11 defenders are right where the play is designed to go and it's been getting stuffed A LOT. I'm not sure if he can physically run left at this point. Take notice during our game in those situations if Hill is at QB where he's going to run; he'll run right and y'all will likely stuff it and I'll be fuming on my friend's couch saying I can call plays better than Payton. :lol:

And yeah, that Giants game was an absolute ****show, we should've put that game away in the 3rd quarter but our offense turtled up and played small ball, keeping the Giants alive until the defense couldn't hold anymore and finally broke,

As for the salary cap, we had a pretty big deficit we had to overcome to get under the cap and then try to retain players. We lost a few players as cap casualties (our CB2 Janoris Jenkins, WR2 Sanders, our P Morstead, TE1 Cook and TE2 Hill) along with a few to free agency (DE Hendrickson to the Bengals and our 3T Rankins to the Jets) and our NT Brown traded to the Jaguars in an attempt to create space. So 6 starters and 2 key depth players, not even counting Brees retiring. Our CB2 situation has been okay for the most part, our rookie Adebo has played very hard but as a rookie (and sitting out the 2020 college season) he's taking his lumps getting tested but I feel he's keeping his head above water. Our WR situation still sucks (with Thomas on the PUP and not really any notable name behind him).

We've had a lot of injury issues so far this year (our C McCoy has been out since Week 1 leading our RG Ruiz to playing center, LT Armstead went down a few weeks ago and has missed time, WR1 Thomas and WR2 Smith both haven't played a game this year, WR3/PR1 Harris is banged up, DE2 Davenport and WLB Alexander both played one game and got hurt again, CB1 Lattimore broke his hand and is playing with a cast, K Lutz hasn't played a game yet, DT1 Onyemata is suspended) so we're very fortunate to be 3-2 honestly.

A few of our injured players are almost ready to start practicing and a few are close to returning, McCoy is slated to return this week so 4 of our 5 OL are supposed to suit up against you guys, not sure about the status of Armstead yet though. Onyemata will miss this game though as he serves the last game of his suspension and will be fresh to face the Buccaneers next week which will be a much welcomed appearance because our run defense has been rather soft up the middle in his absence compared to previous years, although not having a quality NT also is contributing to that.

As for Wilson, man I'd love to have him honestly. I think he'd excel with Payton creating gameplans to Wilson's skill set and calling the plays. Our OL (when healthy) would consistently be able to provide him with a relatively clean pocket and when there is pressure, he's agile enough to elude and can make stuff happen on the move. That's one thing that I think is a knock on Jameis is he can't navigate the pocket well enough like Wilson or Brees could to avoid a pressure that might be leaking through and continue his reads and get rid of the ball whether it be downfield or throwing it away. He can do it in spots, but not as consistently as I'd like. On top of that, defenders wouldn't be able to show Wilson that much attention with Kamara being next to him in the backfield and I think Wilson would feel comfortable with having Michael Thomas and Deonte Harris to push the ball to after throwing to Metcalf and Lockett in Seattle (provided that Thomas isn't nearly the athletic freak Metcalf is but still a big body possession type and Harris is still pretty green compared to Lockett, but still an absolute speed demon downfield and can create separation).

I know this is long winded but hope I answered all of your questions. :D

BlueThunder":2kxja3o0 said:
Nice to be back, friend! I'm sure Guido will be around shortly. :)

Great post. Thanks for the effort. Besides tomorrow good luck the rest of the season. :irishdrinkers:

IronSaint

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2iqauhnb said:
Great post. Thanks for the effort. Besides tomorrow good luck the rest of the season. :irishdrinkers:
Much appreciated, good sir and likewise!

And as a Lockett owner, here's to hoping Wilson returns soon. :irishdrinkers:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Great post. Nice seeing you back here buddy.

Good luck tomorrow and the rest of the year.