Time to throw by notable QBs through Week 6

Scorpion05

Reaction score
These are the time to throw numbers by some notable top QBs according to Next Gen Stats:

Matthew Stafford: 2.7 seconds
Aaron Rodgers: 2.64 seconds
Tom Brady: 2.53 seconds
Josh Allen: 2.91 seconds
Russell Wilson: 2.67 seconds
Lamar Jackson: 3.07 seconds
Kyler Murray: 2.85 seconds
Dak Prescott: 2.68 seconds
Patrick Mahomes: 2.73 seconds
Derek Carr: 2.83 seconds
Kirk Cousins: 2.64 seconds
Mac Jones : 2.64 seconds

Source:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/pass ... /all#yards

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Good info thanks.

I wonder the effect of having long developing pass plays have on that. Much like the RB having a 40 yards run and a bunch of one yard runs giving a good average.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Great thought^^

What stood out to me was Stafford's numbers since we have a similar system. With Goff, the Rams prioritized getting the ball out even quicker because Goff struggles with pressure, and doesn't stretch the field as well.

With Stafford, they're stretching the field more. Plus, they have Desean Watson. It makes sense that with two deep threats in DK and NoE we're doing the same. However, Waldron and Pete are clearly trying to balance it with quicker passes which is why Russ' numbers in time to throw has gone down. We've seen Russ hold the ball a few times this year, but that should further highlight how quickly he's getting it out when he's not holding the ball.

Then you have the Chiefs and Mahomes. They're getting a lot of two high safety looks and they're having a lot of turnovers. Main difference, is Andy Reid is a master at screens and deception so he balances it out more than we were able to. Andy also isn't big on running the ball.

Just interesting overall to see where these QBs are. Brady could probably have an even lower number, but he has AB and takes the necessary shots throughout the game.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Good discussion. So many variables. quick passes, slow passes, RW scrambling, bad offensive line and even down and distance averages.

At times it seems RW and other QBs get hit almost immediately after the snap. Id be curious if there are any stats for percentage of pass plays with less than 1.5 second to throw.

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":38khg8rd said:
These are the time to throw numbers by some notable top QBs according to Next Gen Stats:

Matthew Stafford: 2.7 seconds
Aaron Rodgers: 2.64 seconds
Tom Brady: 2.53 seconds
Josh Allen: 2.91 seconds
Russell Wilson: 2.67 seconds
Lamar Jackson: 3.07 seconds
Kyler Murray: 2.85 seconds
Dak Prescott: 2.68 seconds
Patrick Mahomes: 2.73 seconds
Derek Carr: 2.83 seconds
Kirk Cousins: 2.64 seconds
Mac Jones : 2.64 seconds

Source:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/pass ... /all#yards

wait I thought Wilson held the ball too long according to this he is right where he needs to be.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":k2my1yq4 said:
Good discussion. So many variables. quick passes, slow passes, RW scrambling, bad offensive line and even down and distance averages.

At times it seems RW and other QBs get hit almost immediately after the snap. Id be curious if there are any stats for percentage of pass plays with less than 1.5 second to throw.

I continue to hope that Waldron will figure it out by late season. I just hope by then it's not too late.

John63

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":37z6m4jg said:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00/splits/2021/

This page has almost all the passing splits you could want.

The stats on time in the pocket are at the bottom of the advanced splits
Interestingly he has more sacks under 2.5

Over 71% on both over and under 2.5 sec

8 of Wilson's 13 sacks in under 2.5 seconds. That is not good and a huge oline issue. Of course also nothing new.