Alex Collins, A Potential #1 RB?

Alex Collins, A Potential #1 RB?

• Yes. He shows he's capable of being our #1 if CC can't go.

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • No. He shows moments of promise but not enough sample size.

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been infatuated by AC for a long time. 20 carries for over 100 on SNF. I love how fiesty he is. He runs downhill, shows great effort. Can he be our #1 if CC can't be due to injury history?

LTH

Reaction score
The question is does he have the durability? Clearly Carson does not... Interesting to see what Penny does. Most think he is a bust... we will see..

LTH

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was ecstatic when the Hawks drafted him. I thought he could be a beast mode 2.0. But it didn’t work out the first go-round. Glad he’s back and taking advantage of the opportunity in front of him. He has been a #1 back for the Ravens. He can do it here too.

chris98251

Reaction score
17 game season I doubt any backs not going to be hurt at some point, you need two or more.

That isn't even including the playoffs which can be another 4 games maybe 5.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My neighbor who I have always admitted is a pretty astute NFL fan, seems to think he is nothing more than a backup. I have pressed the issue lately with him and even he admits he doesn't have a solid reason for that mind set. I personally think he could be our #1 easily (again assumming CC is out of the picture).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I actually think Collins running style suits this offense and offensive line better than Carson. Hits the hold faster, a little quicker in the screen game, etc.

Having said this, you need 2-3 good RB's on your roster in the modern NFL.....and no team is more aware of that since Lynch left than us. Save for Henry, what bell cow RB has stayed healthy for 16 games (now 17) and the playoffs taking 90% of the snaps?

So potential #1? Sure, but I'm just fine with him being #2 or #3. Because as I said, you need multiple good RB's to get through an NFL schedule now.

Does Pete agree? I don't think so, he's old school and still wants a bell cow back to run 75%+ of the time. When in reality maybe Carson wouldn't wear down ever year if he was limited to 30-40% of the snaps.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":2yfz8vtq said:
My neighbor who I have always admitted is a pretty astute NFL fan, seems to think he is nothing more than a backup. I have pressed the issue lately with him and even he admits he doesn't have a solid reason for that mind set. I personally think he could be our #1 easily (again assumming CC is out of the picture).

Collins like Lynch is decisive, he doesn't dance to find a crease he hits the hole with purpose, Lynch did both, his crab walk step without losing speed (reminds me of Floyd Little) could still slide along the line and get yards. With the size of our line and Collins drive when he runs it works.

Scary thought of the day, Penny comes off IR today and Pete is already saying he will help our run game, I really hope it isn't at the cost of touches to Collins, he needs touches to get rolling and not one a quarter stuff.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm generally in favor of two or three guys splitting carries, even if the top guy gets 60-70% of them.

I'd be more confident in Collins if he'd made it through the game on Sunday night. But I like him as a player. I think he can be a 15-touch-per-game sort of guy. Does that count?

I also really like Homer, and I'm stoked he's getting some chances.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Collin's is a decent RB. I think the biggest issue with him is sometimes his vision isn't the greatest. I've seen him miss some open holes. That being said, Collin's doesn't have bad vision per-say.

What he does bring is he has a nice cutback and he can create yards after contact, which is more than I can say about our other backs other than Carson. I think he has the potential to be a bell cow back for us this season.

Msfann

Reaction score
If we make him our #1 he'll get hurt. call him #3 and start him.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I personally think Collins is better than Carson. I'm all in for Collins being the #1.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I like that Collins moves his feet well, runs with confidence, above average vision and a bit of power.

Starter, sure why not. Carson is always hurt, runs with good power but needs a bit of a crease. A little slow to a hole, and may not run to darkness like he should.

Fade

Reaction score
On the current roster he is the #1 Back. He is better than Carson at this juncture.

I question his ability to stay healthy and be the bell cow. And like clockwork he got injured in the Steelers game.

I think he is best paired in a 2 back system, like most runningbacks in today's NFL, where he doesn't have to be the guy game in game out.

He has very nice feet for a big back, very crafty, maneuvering in the briar patch with good lean. He's a solid receiver, and blocker to boot. He is an every down back. Unfortunately for him he is already 27. He has peaked. He has 2 more years before he falls off a cliff. But he will be cheap and the Seahawks can get great value in retaining his services.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Yep, he's looked better and fits better in the SW offense, ideally he and CC would be 1a 1b and split carries accordingly, would have been and I guess still has the chance to be a real nasty combo to deal with by the fourth quarter.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Y'all remember that RB that came in for Beast Mode and was running several consecutive 200 yard games? and we were all like yup we can let Marshawn go... I don't even remember his name anymore. Anyway, too small a sample size for me.

classicaaron

Reaction score
best ability is availability so as long as he stays healthy he can certainly play. but the fact they waste a roster spot on Penny year after year is amazing. the guy just cant last. ill make the over under 3.5 in games played with this latest comeback.
i can already hear Pete at the press conferences. Penny gets limited carries week 1 due to getting back in football shape, week 2 he gets a little knicked with slightly more carries and Pete claims its just part of the process of coming back. That wednesday Pete announces hes out 6-8 weeks with a tweaked leg injury despite just saying he was basically fine. history has often repeated this scenario.

Rat

Reaction score
ZagHawk":286uas7v said:
Y'all remember that RB that came in for Beast Mode and was running several consecutive 200 yard games? and we were all like yup we can let Marshawn go... I don't even remember his name anymore. Anyway, too small a sample size for me.

Thomas Rawls? I don't recall people wanting Marshawn gone at any point though.

Rat

Reaction score
LTH":2zbhttvj said:
Interesting to see what Penny does. Most think he is a bust... we will see..

They only say he's a bust because he's a huge bust.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I voted no just because I don't think he's durable enough at this stage of his career. He was injured or tired or whatever you wanna call it late in the game vs the Stealers and he was unavailable.

We might of lost such a close game because he IS NOT a true #1. But I'd rather blame Jamal Adams for letting an easy interception (maybe pick 6?) bounce off his fricken face!!!

I think Alex Collins as a #1 RB is kind of a philosophical concept. He has the skills to do it no doubt but he can't take that many reps.

It's similar to when our team was ACTUALLY GOOD... Golden Tate AND Doug Baldwin were BOTH essentially our #1 recievers!

I think Alex Collins and Cris Carson together can both play like #1 RB's but Collins has shown no sign he can do it alone.

Part of that is I think the coaches haven't given him enough chances from my point of view, but maybe there's something too that. I don't think we are ever gonna see another Marshawn Lynch who can play so many reps every season no problem with physicality.