What If, Total Hypothetical Question / Thought

hawkpride

Reaction score
Pete resigns / fired, and Russ becomes player / coach?
There have been a few in the NFL, last big name was Mike Ditka (SP?) of Da Bears. Look it up.

I personally think Russ could do it and most very likely be (very) better than what the s**t show is now.

Fade

Reaction score
hawkpride":m4cmxg06 said:
Pete resigns / fired, and Russ becomes player / coach?
There have been a few in the NFL, last big name was Mike Ditka (SP?) of Da Bears. Look it up.

I personally think Russ could do it and most very likely be (very) better than what the s**t show is now.

The thought crossed my mind last night as well. But, the league just doesn't operate like that anymore. It won't happen.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to give Wilson the keys. For one, I don't think he has the same football savvy as guys like Tom Brady do. Guys like Brady and Manning made a living at the LOS, dictating the game pre-snap. They acted as the defacto offensive coordinators later in their career. I haven't seen Wilson demonstrating that ability yet. Often times his last minute changes at the LOS are suspect. He has been defined by his ability to go off script and improvise. I wouldn't call him a field general yet. To be fair, a lot of that are probably limits put on Wilson by Pete Carroll. That being said, he just hasn't shown me enough to say "yes you can be player and coach at the same time."

Even for guys like Manning and Brady, could run a team in addition to fulfill their player duties. It's just too much to take on. Scouting, defensive/offensive game planning, player grievances, staff hiring, general management of underling coaches, etc is enough on its own. Wilson also hasn't really been brought up in a modern NFL offense either. I don't think he'd have a grounded philosophy to build on and he has no previous NFL coaching experience.

If Pete were fired tomorrow I'd just assume hand the keys to Shane Waldron for the rest of the year, fire KNJ, promote a assistant/positional coach. Have Wilson and Shane split some of the duties on offense.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2byzbv23 said:
I wouldn't want to give Wilson the keys. For one, I don't think he has the same football savvy as guys like Tom Brady do. Guys like Brady and Manning made a living at the LOS, dictating the game pre-snap. They acted as the defacto offensive coordinators later in their career. I haven't seen Wilson demonstrating that ability yet. Often times his last minute changes at the LOS are suspect. He has been defined by his ability to go off script and improvise. I wouldn't call him a field general yet. To be fair, a lot of that are probably limits put on Wilson by Pete Carroll. That being said, he just hasn't shown me enough to say "yes you can be player and coach at the same time."

Even for guys like Manning and Brady, could run a team in addition to fulfill their player duties. It's just too much to take on. Scouting, defensive/offensive game planning, player grievances, staff hiring, general management of underling coaches, etc is enough on its own. Wilson also hasn't really been brought up in a modern NFL offense either. I don't think he'd have a grounded philosophy to build on and he has no previous NFL coaching experience.

If Pete were fired tomorrow I'd just assume hand the keys to Shane Waldron for the rest of the year, fire KNJ, promote a assistant/positional coach. Have Wilson and Shane split some of the duties on offense.

Not saying he should be made coach, I think that is a bad idea, but do you remember his interviews during and just after the draft. I think the perception that he lacks football savvy has more to do with Pete's constraints than anything else.

I agree the move should be Waldron in the hypothetical and not at all likely (yet happy) scenario that Pete leaves in the middle of the season. Give him a chance to sink or swim so you know if he is a part of the organization going forward. What the offense was doing week 1 looked different than what we had seen before, I am assuming that is Waldron and then Pete decided he didn't like it and put his stubborn foot down.

chris98251

Reaction score
For all that is good in the world absolutely positively in no way shape or form.

He can play the game, he has not shown the discipline and patience to be a coach based on his field actions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There's simply too much he would have to delegate. Game management, substitutions, roster decisions, any and all defensive and special teams calls.

By the time he got done delegating, he'd be a quarterback with increased audible power. Just doesn't work.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JustTheTip":iwwddud4 said:
Spin Doctor":iwwddud4 said:

Not saying he should be made coach, I think that is a bad idea, but do you remember his interviews during and just after the draft. I think the perception that he lacks football savvy has more to do with Pete's constraints than anything else.

I agree the move should be Waldron in the hypothetical and not at all likely (yet happy) scenario that Pete leaves in the middle of the season. Give him a chance to sink or swim so you know if he is a part of the organization going forward. What the offense was doing week 1 looked different than what we had seen before, I am assuming that is Waldron and then Pete decided he didn't like it and put his stubborn foot down.

I think it's got more to do with his mental processing. His preparation is obviously world-class, but he just doesn't have the savant-like mental game that guys like Brady and Manning do, where they could lose almost all of their physical prowess and be absolutely no worse off for it.

I'm not saying he's dumb or anything - just that I don't see anything so amazing as to think he'd work at all as a player-coach, much less have it be an optimal arrangement.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2f9wtjav said:

you guys say that, but also fail to realize all those 4th quarter comebacks came from wilson.

russell wilson knows his offense, carroll doesn't give him the control to show it.

if wilson didn't know offense how could he have save carroll all these years?

chris98251

Reaction score
Tinamedina":368sjwzh said:
Spin Doctor":368sjwzh said:

you guys say that, but also fail to realize all those 4th quarter comebacks came from wilson.

russell wilson knows his offense, carroll doesn't give him the control to show it.

if wilson didn't know offense how could he have save carroll all these years?

You do know that there are special teams, defense, personal, practice regimens, coaches meetings, position meetings, offense and defense special team meetings, off season player evaluations weekly evaluations and so much more. Just because he can run an offense does not mean he can coach.

George Halas, maybe all the way back to Jim Thorpe was the last people to do it.