Holmgren in the ring of honor

LTH

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcRNxk87T0c

I kind of miss Mike. I used to listen to everyone of his PC's. The whole family would come into my den and we would listen to Mike talk the ends and outs football. He had a way about him that just captured my attention..

Big differences between Pete and Mike.

It's like Mike would not have stood for the way Russ handled things in the off season... It was definitely Mike's way no compromise at all...I guarantee that Mike would not let Russ dictate the way the O was run... It just wouldn't happen...I'm not saying one approach was better than the other I just think it's interesting how much more liberal the NFL has become from when Mike coached... I guarantee that Mike would have lost his friggen mind because of those penalties last game...

But listening to this PC posted above I find it interesting that he said In Green bay when the packers lost a game it would affect the whole state... He said his wife was a social worker and that if the pack lost a game domestic violence went up... he said that that was one of the reasons he left was that he didn't want to be under that kind of pressure...

So what are your guys memories about Mike Holmgren"

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":j23ay657 said:

I kind of miss Mike. I used to listen to everyone of his PC's. The whole family would come into my den and we would listen to Mike talk the ends and outs football. He had a way about him that just captured my attention..

It's like Mike would not have stood for the way Russ handled things in the off season... It was definitely Mike's way no compromise at all...I guarantee that Mike would not let Russ dictate the way the O was run... It just wouldn't happen...I'm not saying one approach was better than the other I just think it's interesting how much more liberal the NFL has become from when Mike coached... I guarantee that Mike would have lost his friggen mind because of those penalties last game...

But listening to this PC posted above I find it interesting that he said In Green bay when the packers lost a game it would affect the whole state... He said his wife was a social worker and that if the pack lost a game domestic violence went up... he said that that was one of the reasons he left was that he didn't want to be under that kind of pressure...

LTH

Wilson could not handle Mike Coaching him, it almost broke Hass, and Farve, Wilson is circumstance aggressive, but I don't think he could handle the perfection Mike demanded, no excuses. Why Dilfer ended up here, Mike would not tolerate push back which Hass did for a while till he broke through.

WCO needed to use slants and the middle of the field to work, if Wilson wouldn't throw it he would have been benched.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":362mfxxk said:
LTH":362mfxxk said:

LTH

Wilson could not handle Mike Coaching him, it almost broke Hass, and Farve, Wilson is circumstance aggressive, but I don't think he could handle the perfection Mike demanded, no excuses. Why Dilfer ended up here, Mike would not tolerate push back which Hass did for a while till he broke through.

WCO needed to use slants and the middle of the field to work, if Wilson wouldn't throw it he would have been benched.

Mike is old school... thats why he is not coaching because todays players can't handle it... Thats why I think its so funny when people talk about Carroll being out of touch with his players... hell Holmgren would just eat these guys for breakfast,....

LTH

Fade

Reaction score
Congrats to the greatest coach in Seahawks history, Mike Holmgren.

Holmy didn't have a problem starting Seneca Wallace at QB, Wilson would've been fine. Wilson also ran the WCO @ NC State for 4 years btw. Mike probably would've been hesitant at first to play Wilson and view him as a backup starting out, just like Seneca, but once Wilson got his shot it would've been no turning back.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":2tr2j0b4 said:

Holmy didn't have a problem starting Seneca Wallace at QB, Wilson would've been fine. Wilson also ran the WCO @ NC State for 4 years btw. Mike probably would've been hesitant at first to play Wilson and view him as a backup starting out, just like Seneca, but once Wilson got his shot it would've been no turning back.

Yeah, Seneca turned out to be a great Franchise QB now didn't he. He was suppose to be the next slash and didn't do that either on any team he played for.

Also if Russell was so dominating then why did the coach at NC State go with Glennon over him, something was not quite right about that also.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":1lxa2u42 said:

BS

Mike would have let Wilson dictate the offense in the way that Mike would scheme to play to Wilsons strengths. Thats the difference between Holmgren and Carroll.

Your right that Mike would have lost his mind over the penalties, but the difference is he would have fixed it. Pete never does.

I've always said that Holmgren did more with less and i'm still convinced of that. I never worried about Holmgren on gameday with his game plans while Carroll has been a disaster for years now. Thats what I remember about Mike Holmgren.

One other note - there is no coach in the history of the NFL that could have beaten Bill Leavy and the Steelers in that 2005 Super Bowl so I dont even hold that loss against him and you get bet your bottom dollar Holmgren would have handed the ball to Lynch.

As Fade said, congrats to the Seahawks greatest coach ever.

seabowl

Reaction score
LTH":13aoi4r3 said:
chris98251":13aoi4r3 said:
LTH":13aoi4r3 said:

LTH

Mike is old school... thats why he is not coaching because todays players can't handle it... Thats why I think its so funny when people talk about Carroll being out of touch with his players... hell Holmgren would just eat these guys for breakfast,....

LTH

Have to disagree on this. Belicheck is old school too and the players do what he says. It’s about getting respect from your players and having them know you know what you’re doing. Pete unfortunately IMO has lost respect from many on the team and that is why you are seeing players being vocal about what is happening with the team. Hard to play for a coach who’s game plan you don’t believe in.

Frankly I would love to see a Holmgren type coach come in.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":q9fj5vh3 said:

LTH

Holmgen was a lot different personality, more moody, less likable, kept his distance from players. There were times that Hass was afraid to approach him. He had no tolerance for mistakes, wouldn't bat an eye at shipping off a running back if they fumbled, bench a lineman that got caught holding. His pressers were more matter of fact, more down to Earth.

Pete, on the other hand, is everybody's friend, a bubbly, optimistic personality, his teams are generally less disciplined, his pressers filled with more hyperbole, talks in cliches. Mike was more of a manager that demanded perfection, Pete more of a politician that motivated players by his powers of persuasion. Both wanted to run their own show.

Each style has its plusses and minuses.

What I remember most about Holmgren are the headphones and Denny's menu covering his face. They once had a look alike contest that had some very good resemblances.

Vesuve

Reaction score
SB40

[youtube]ZyQ2QLiZ4vU[/youtube]

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Dennys menu? Your talking about his play sheet?

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2s2jbj2l said:
LTH":2s2jbj2l said:

BS

Mike would have let Wilson dictate the offense in the way that Mike would scheme to play to Wilsons strengths. Thats the difference between Holmgren and Carroll.

Your right that Mike would have lost his mind over the penalties, but the difference is he would have fixed it. Pete never does.

I've always said that Holmgren did more with less and i'm still convinced of that. I never worried about Holmgren on gameday with his game plans while Carroll has been a disaster for years now. Thats what I remember about Mike Holmgren.

One other note - there is no coach in the history of the NFL that could have beaten Bill Leavy and the Steelers in that 2005 Super Bowl so I dont even hold that loss against him and you get bet your bottom dollar Holmgren would have handed the ball to Lynch.

As Fade said, congrats to the Seahawks greatest coach ever.

Obviously you don't know Holmgren very well...you don't know Carroll at all...

I'm trying to think what you do know... oooh yeah you know that it's really easy to be negative and look like you know what your talking about being that the odds are against the Seahawks or any other NFL team for making the SB... this is a fact so for you to take the position you take about the Seahawks or Carroll your going to look like your right more often than not even if you pick ANY team...your so backed up against the wall over the last 11 years that your position is if the Seahawks don't make the SB its a bust...Geeze...nobody can live up to your expectations not even Santa Claus,,,

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":2s8nu1rb said:
Obviously you don't know Holmgren very well...you don't know Carroll at all...

I'm trying to think what you do know...

I know that most people are finally starting to see what i've been talking about for the last 6 years and I also know that your one of about 4 people left on this board that still cant see whats right in front of you due to being blinded by your fandom. Thats ok though as some people are just slow learners.

Jville

Reaction score
LTH":3jzannb7 said:

LTH

I still remember the great stories he used to tell. He was particularly enjoyable on Radio Shows. Sincere, humorous, honest, informative and entertaining. He was a comfortable listen.

I do think Mike Holmgren was fortunate to enjoy a warm Seattle Community prior to it going so far down hill. IMO, the make up of the fan base of that era was head and shoulders above what Seahawk fans and players and staff are saddled with today.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Jville":3km8xwi4 said:
LTH":3km8xwi4 said:

LTH

I still remember the great stories he used to tell. He was particularly enjoyable on Radio Shows. Sincere, humorous, honest, informative and entertaining. He was a comfortable listen.

I do think Mike Holmgren was fortunate to enjoy a warm Seattle Community prior to it going so far down hill. IMO, the make up of the fan base of that era was head and shoulders above what Seahawk fans and players and staff are saddled with today.

Holmgren took his shots but your right the negativity was no where near as bad as it is today...

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":245tsqcb said:
Fade":245tsqcb said:

Yeah, Seneca turned out to be a great Franchise QB now didn't he. He was suppose to be the next slash and didn't do that either on any team he played for.

Also if Russell was so dominating then why did the coach at NC State go with Glennon over him, something was not quite right about that also.

If short QBs didn't fit Holmy's system, Seneca would've never been drafted is the point.

Whatever happened to the coach that chased off Russell Wilson because he wanted to play baseball in the spring?

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]8AEe1f74vC0[/youtube]
In the spirit of Halloween, this is funny if you haven't seen it.

Jville

Reaction score
Mike ...... mic'd up ....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1454487762174840837[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah, too bad we can't get unfiltered, I would bet it would be twice as good, that had to be edited from 30 minutes down to the few we seen.

Notice when, Mike gave orders there was no questions, but he did take ownership of making a mistake and giving away the play chart.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":2anpke4p said:
Dennys menu? Your talking about his play sheet?

Yes.

I was critical of Holmgren calling his own offensive plays. I know that a lot of other head coaches do it and have been successful, but at least in his case, I thought it caused him to ignore the defense, made him appear distant and aloof to his players, that he was too close to the trees to see the forest. It also caused him to miss some opportunities regarding clock management.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
and all these years I thought he was ordering lunch LOL