Our defense

toffee

Reaction score
Team stats on defense:

1. #8 in points allowed (167), behind only Bills - Cardinals - Bronco - Saints - Patriots - Steelers.
2. #11 in Points allowed per game
3. #31 in Yards per game
4. #28 in Passing yards per game
5. #25 in Rushing yards per game
6. #30 in Sacks

Basing purely on the above, our pass rush sux, we allow lots of yards but not points. If we could improve on pass rush, and Flowers-less CBs, we may even improve to top ten in points allowed.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/seattle-s ... ry=defense

LTH

Reaction score
i'm not going to look it up interesting to see what the numbers look like the last 3 games vs the year...

LTH

John63

Reaction score
LTH":3fuu5g5v said:
i'm not going to look it up interesting to see what the numbers look like the last 3 games vs the year...

LTH

well her is what I can tell you

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

there avg ranking of scoring is 22nd. in yards 25th. So in other words our defense feasted don bad offenses.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":3145zvri said:

LTH
Last three games helped, reconfigerated CBs helped. Time for our DL to improve their rush defense and pass rush.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
You guys forgot to consider their respectable low missed tackle ranking. A strong point, by the way, of the much maligned Trey Flowers.

Feel free to chase down the low missed tackle ranking if you wish for a more complete representation .... or not. :229031_shrug:

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":1wwxlor7 said:
LTH":1wwxlor7 said:

LTH

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

there avg ranking of scoring is 22nd. in yards 25th. So in other words our defense feasted don bad offenses.

Our offense feasts on bad teams too. This year and last. Don't recall the constant reminder though. Only how prolific we could be if... if...

We got fat off of wins during the heralded 'let Russ cook' 2020 start on teams that ranked 22, 27, and 28th defensively. The other defenses who ended up finishing in the top half of the league by seasons end, over the first 5 weeks were each giving up 24ppg.

You play who's in front of you. And regardless of the opponent, there has been significant improvement in communication and maintaining assignments, particularly on the back end. Thats what we should be focusing on, and that's pretty obvious looking at the tape..

The rest of the season hinges on pass rush.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
keasley45":2o4q1z3g said:
John63":2o4q1z3g said:
LTH":2o4q1z3g said:

LTH

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

Our offense feasts on bad teams too. This year and last. Don't recall the constant reminder though. Only how prolific we could be if... if...

We got fat off of wins during the heralded 'let Russ cook' 2020 start on teams that ranked 22, 27, and 28th defensively. The other defenses who ended up finishing in the top half of the league by seasons end, over the first 5 weeks were each giving up 24ppg.

You play who's in front of you. And regardless of the opponent, there has been significant improvement in communication and maintaining assignments, particularly on the back end. Thats what we should be focusing on, and that's pretty obvious looking at the tape..

The trending narrative on dot net is Pete must go, if you buy into that, then our defense needs to suck. Improved defense will lead to winning. Winning makes firing Pete unlikely.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":3kfm7qn5 said:
keasley45":3kfm7qn5 said:
John63":3kfm7qn5 said:
LTH":3kfm7qn5 said:

LTH

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

The trending narrative on dot net is Pete must go, if you buy into that, then our defense needs to suck. Improved defense will lead to winning. Winning makes firing Pete unlikely.

on any normal team, you are right, but this is the Hawks where PC has all the power and the owner shows little interest in anything.

Chapow

Reaction score
John63":2matedqw said:
LTH":2matedqw said:

LTH

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

Buffalo has the #1 defense in the league by points per game.

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

So does that mean that their defense isn't actually good, and only appears good because of the teams they've played? Or is it possible that even though they've played a bunch of bad teams, they also have a good defense? Both can be true, and both can be true for the Seahawks as well.

LTH

Reaction score
John63":37t9tinb said:
toffee":37t9tinb said:
keasley45":37t9tinb said:
John63":37t9tinb said:

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

on any normal team, you are right, but this is the Hawks where PC has all the power and the owner shows little interest in anything.

Oh please.... Where you come up with this stuff is absolutely epic... I mean dude... you got to give credit where credit is due. This D is improving and to say it's not is not being honest...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
With Geno under center, they lost 3 STRAIGHT games that they had the ball w/a chance to win.
Yes, the Defense has been bad much of the year, but the offense with a backup QB didn't get the job done either.

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2sei83vq said:
With Geno under center, they lost 3 STRAIGHT games that they had the ball w/a chance to win.
Yes, the Defense has been bad much of the year, but the offense with a backup QB didn't get the job done either.

Actually, To Give Geno some Credit he lost 2 1/4 games by a total of a FG in each game one game in OT... So IMO Geno did his job he kept the Hawks competitive...

I just dislike it when people don't give credit where credit is due, the Hawks D may give up some yards but they are really tough in the red zone, and there not giving up an unreasonable number of points that's what matters the most...

Edit: the most important thing is they are making the big stop when they need to...

LTH

A-Dog

Reaction score
The defense has had to compensate for terrible play at corner. That means playing the safeties deep and having a bend but don't break philosophy. The stats back that up - yards and TOP look bad but points allowed looks solid.

Now that the corner play has improved, and coverage as a whole is having fewer missed assignments / busted coverages, it will be interesting to see if the defense starts to be a little more aggressive by stacking the line of scrimmage, blitzing a bit more, and leaving the corners in man coverage from time to time.

This, combined with an improved pass rush (Dunlap seems to be coming on, Nkemdiche is emerging, Taylor seems to be back healthy, and we should give more snaps to Robinson), could make the defense very interesting going forward, especially if the offense can sustain drives better.

LTH

Reaction score
I totally agree with u..

My goodness its been a long bye week I'm ready for some seahawk football

LTH

John63

Reaction score
Chapow":3q879692 said:
John63":3q879692 said:
LTH":3q879692 said:

LTH

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

So does that mean that their defense isn't actually good, and only appears good because of the teams they've played? Or is it possible that even though they've played a bunch of bad teams, they also have a good defense? Both can be true, and both can be true for the Seahawks as well.

It could be that Bill's defense is not as good as it appears. we will know soon enough.

The reality is our defense is not good. yes they are god at points, but not yards. This matters because if they are giving up a lot of yards they are also giving up TOP and that means the offense is not on the field.

LTH

Reaction score
John63":2ish1gt5 said:
Chapow":2ish1gt5 said:
John63":2ish1gt5 said:
LTH":2ish1gt5 said:

LTH

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

It could be that Bill's defense is not as good as it appears. we will know soon enough.

The reality is our defense is not good. yes they are god at points, but not yards. This matters because if they are giving up a lot of yards they are also giving up TOP and that means the offense is not on the field.

You see it that way because they are just turning with in the last 3 games... they are working through adversity and getting things figured out..

a D with deep issues would not have kept the games close all year... this D kept the Hawks competitive that's the difference... if they were getting blown out, that's one thing but they are not...that's what told me they are going to make a comebac, Let's see how they open up the pass rush against the pack... this should be interesting.

LTH

John63

Reaction score
LTH":39w7ljas said:
John63":39w7ljas said:
Chapow":39w7ljas said:
John63":39w7ljas said:

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

You see it that way because they are just turning with in the last 3 games... they are working through adversity and getting things figured out..

a D with deep issues would not have kept the games close all year... this D kept the Hawks competitive that's the difference... if they were getting blown out, that's one thing but they are not...that's what told me they are going to make a comebac, Let's see how they open up the pass rush against the pack... this should be interesting.

LTH

and you don't see how playing bad offense might give a false sense of them getting better? We will know when we play Az, and the rams again as they are the only above avg offenses we will face. To a lesser extent GB

LTH

Reaction score
ok we will see... but the D has to take small steps before you take big steps... it's all about building continuity and confidence... you can't say the D isn't getting better because they haven't beat the best team in the league...

LTH

John63

Reaction score
LTH":n6ex4ma7 said:
ok we will see... but the D has to take small steps before you take big steps... it's all about building continuity and confidence... you can't say the D isn't getting better because they haven't beat the best team in the league...

LTH

No, but I can say given they have played some of the worst they have not proven anything. I am hopeful they are better or getting better but I am not convinced at all

LTH

Reaction score
John63":1g6vbb5n said:
LTH":1g6vbb5n said:

LTH

No, but I can say given they have played some of the worst they have not proven anything. I am hopeful they are better or getting better but I am not convinced at all

I think what they have proven is that they are getting better... Now the question is how good is this D really? Can't answer that till Sunday...

LTH