Don't Count 'Em Out Just Yet

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I know, this season is starting to look like hot garbage. I see the same things you all do. Even my perpetual optimism isn't blind to the fact that this ship is taking on serious water. I won't rehash the details that have been debated and discussed excessively in these virtual walls. Pete, Russ, Front Office, coaching/scheme deficiencies, the list goes on and on sad enough.

But I was sitting here thinking if I was forced to put money down on if I thought the Seahawks would start turning this ship around and make a run to the playoffs and hell, even make the playoffs, would I? And the simple answer is yes I would.

I look at yesterday as a bit of an aberration. Clearly Russell was not healthy enough to play and we can debate for days about if he should have or why he did, in fact there's plenty of posts already in here discussing that. The simple fact is that he wasn't, so we would naturally have to assume with more time he will get back to closer to 100%. The defense is showing clear evidence of improvement, mid way through the season just like last year. Dunlap's boneheaded shoe toss aside, I am really liking what I am seeing on that side of the ball.

DK is clearly frustrated, and immature. I don't know of that hair dye is seeping into his brain cells but he needs a Come To Jesus (Lockett?), get back to being humble and work on his fundamentals of catching the damn ball. He is an immense talent but I'm afraid he's been reading his press clippings a bit too much. Take a page out of Lockett's book. Be humble, be quiet, let your talent do the speaking for you on the field, keep your damn hands to yourself and STFU.

Right now I think Pete is the biggest detriment to this team's growth. What a shame, considering he's the most successful Seahawks coach in our history. But as we know, the game has passed him by and he's too stubborn to change with the times. The players are pretty much running the show and that's not good. This is where we could use a serious dose of Holmgren. Shape up or ship out.

The offense seems a mess at the moment but I just have this sneaky feeling they are going to start turning things around. I will be so bold to say as soon as this Sunday against the Cardinals. If we get our asses handed to us you can just write all of this off as silly Monday musings.

In most years 3-6 is already a death sentence but not this year. We are only 1 game out of the final wild card spot with 8 games left to play. Far from over folks. Russ can't possibly be worse than he was yesterday. To me, that's a throw away performance. He can only get better from here.

I think this team finishes strong. Now I won't bother with the "well is the playoffs and a quick exit good enough?" argument. It's not like we can "Suck for Luck" this year with the Jets owning our first round pick in April, so we might as well keep rooting for victories no matter how bleak it looks.

I'm still in. I will always love this team. Team. Always the whole, not the sum of its parts.

Go Hawks!

nutluck

Reaction score
Actually it is 2 games or 1.5 games depending on how you want to count it. Panthers are the current 7th seed with a record of 5-5, so 2 more wins than the hawks have. Currently the hawks sit at 8th in race to the last wild card spot due to head to head tie breakers and conference record tie breaks.

With all that said, I do think the Hawks will turn it around and start doing well. I can see them going 5-3 or 6-2.

Next game against the Cards is a big one, the Hawks I think can lose two more and still make the playoffs.

Of the teams I think that are a real threat to keep the hawks out are.

Panthers looking at their remaining schedule and I think they will get 9-8 at best.
Falcons same thing I think they are 9-8 at best
Vikings I see them going 8-9 honestly but they own the head to head tie breaker. Which is why I think the hawks can lose at most 2 more games to get in, because at least 1 of these three teams is likely to have that record, of course one of them could go on a run and then it is all over. But assuming they finish with that and the hawks can go 6-2 or better they could make it.

But I do agree they will go on a run the rest of the year, the only question is, is it to little to late.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":2est9um4 said:
I know, this season is starting to look like hot garbage. I see the same things you all do. Even my perpetual optimism isn't blind to the fact that this ship is taking on serious water. I won't rehash the details that have been debated and discussed excessively in these virtual walls. Pete, Russ, Front Office, coaching/scheme deficiencies, the list goes on and on sad enough.

But I was sitting here thinking if I was forced to put money down on if I thought the Seahawks would start turning this ship around and make a run to the playoffs and hell, even make the playoffs, would I? And the simple answer is yes I would.

I look at yesterday as a bit of an aberration. Clearly Russell was not healthy enough to play and we can debate for days about if he should have or why he did, in fact there's plenty of posts already in here discussing that. The simple fact is that he wasn't, so we would naturally have to assume with more time he will get back to closer to 100%. The defense is showing clear evidence of improvement, mid way through the season just like last year. Dunlap's boneheaded shoe toss aside, I am really liking what I am seeing on that side of the ball.

DK is clearly frustrated, and immature. I don't know of that hair dye is seeping into his brain cells but he needs a Come To Jesus (Lockett?), get back to being humble and work on his fundamentals of catching the damn ball. He is an immense talent but I'm afraid he's been reading his press clippings a bit too much. Take a page out of Lockett's book. Be humble, be quiet, let your talent do the speaking for you on the field, keep your damn hands to yourself and STFU.

Right now I think Pete is the biggest detriment to this team's growth. What a shame, considering he's the most successful Seahawks coach in our history. But as we know, the game has passed him by and he's too stubborn to change with the times. The players are pretty much running the show and that's not good. This is where we could use a serious dose of Holmgren. Shape up or ship out.

The offense seems a mess at the moment but I just have this sneaky feeling they are going to start turning things around. I will be so bold to say as soon as this Sunday against the Cardinals. If we get our asses handed to us you can just write all of this off as silly Monday musings.

In most years 3-6 is already a death sentence but not this year. We are only 1 game out of the final wild card spot with 8 games left to play. Far from over folks. Russ can't possibly be worse than he was yesterday. To me, that's a throw away performance. He can only get better from here.

I think this team finishes strong. Now I won't bother with the "well is the playoffs and a quick exit good enough?" argument. It's not like we can "Suck for Luck" this year with the Jets owning our first round pick in April, so we might as well keep rooting for victories no matter how bleak it looks.

I'm still in. I will always love this team. Team. Always the whole, not the sum of its parts.

Go Hawks!

There are layers here we are feeling, the would have should have layer, we should have had more Trophy's with the team that was on the field in 2014, 2015, especially.

The decline many had called out in years of posts.

The noticeable dysfunction between our players, the Game Plans, and mentality of Pete.

The realization that a change has to happen going forward, and it's not just signing one more guy.

The fact the lights are now turned up and last call has been announced for this composition of what we know is the Seattle Seahawks and our run of control of the NFC West and the pill we are trying to swallow with that after a long long run.

We can pull out one more miracle maybe, but few will mortgage their houses on it this year.

I will always support the Seahawks as a fan, they are my team, that doesn't mean I won't be critical of what they put on the field when we have pieces that can do better, it's because I am a invested fan I do, otherwise like many who no longer frequent the forum, and moved to Dallas, Tampa's or Arizona Forums to jump on the rising tides there it is just a social nuance of wanting to be where the light is shining brighter.

I may have to listen to the old Sea Chicken name again, or that team in South Alaska and or Egypt, but I will still be here waiting for the rise once again. We have been fortunate, spoiled even. It was a good feeling for a long time.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":1jz5wn4j said:

Go Hawks!

I see it a lot differently than you do. This team is so Close to being really good they are just way late I'm unsure if they can overcome the the hole they put them self in.

They Have worked out the D and now they are just getting Russ back from injury... Yeah he went into GB and he really tried to hard. He forced some balls into double coverage when he should have checked down or thrown the ball away.
It was a great defensive performance from GB lets not forget that part.

What needs to happen is they need to get the offensive continuity back. Russ just needs to be more PATIENT and TAKE WHAT THE D GIVES HIM as the league has adjusted to him since LAST YEAR... Now he needs to adjust his game. They need to establish the run game and take what the D gives them in the passing game creating longer drives and controlling TOP, make the D adjust to them.. then take the shots down field when they have single coverage or a receiver has beat double coverage. when this happens (I'm sure it will because I think Russ was embarrassed) this team is going to roll...If it doesn't happen then the Hawks are done. and I think its as SIMPLE as that.

the other thing that's killing the Hawk's is timely stupid penalty's that is on Carroll he needs to put a stop to that but the thing is the Hawks have ALWAYS had an issue with penalties. this is nothing new.

i don't think the game has passed Carroll by... There is nothing wrong with his scheme. There are only so many things you can do on offense and its all ready been done. no coach is going to reinvent the wheel here, its about purely picking a scheme and matching up with Defenses and adjusting. the problem is the Hawks have not had a great run game since Marshawn Lynch and that is the common denominator. Carson has been good but he can not stay healthy and Penny looks like he is a bust. Collins remains to be seen...

They need this game in AZ. if they lose they will not be mathematically out of it and stranger things have happened but that's where i start to lose my optimism...

If Russ can't make the adjustment there is a clear issue between him and Carroll... not sure how that's going to work out but every great QB has to find the Balance between the confidence to know when to thread the needle and to check down . in Russell's case his wanting to be great and superior confidence is clouding his judgement...This is an area that Mike Holmgren was really good at... Brett Favre is a perfect example of this so is Hasselbeck and even to their own admission.

edit; I say establish the run because that is the way the team is built..

Thats the way I see it.

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They're done. They just arent very good in any aspect of the game.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
So does the team have to be 3-8 or 3-12 before the, "Hey there's still a slight chance they can pull this off" posts stop? I really, really appreciate the optimism but the fact of the matter is that this team is not a very good team. They're not even an okay team. There are some serious communication problems (among other things) with this team and how it's translating into play and everyone in the league sees that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If this team was the Titanic, we would be roughly around here.

Captain Smith is a perfect reprentation of Pete Carroll. Iceburg warnings have been coming in for years, and he continues to ignore them and go full steam ahead.
The 12s are jumping ship. The humanity. This is awful.

[youtube]uffHb6JgoiQ[/youtube]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It will be rough.

Right now we are worse than the Falcons and Eagles.

We are in line with the Bears, Giants, and MAYBE WFT.

In fact, the only teams we are better than are :

Jets

Jags

Lions

Texans

That means we wish we were as good as the disappointing Browns or the Panthers.

Of course we have some more wins coming, we cannot dip much worse.

But even with a healthy Wilson, Pete is going to lose us a few more games we should win.

The wildcard would be an amazing accomplishment but unlikely.

We will be better because you cannot get much worse. But there isn't much upside with Pete, just lots more downside.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
There’s no consistency on either side of the ball to feel any kind of optimism for the remainder of the season.

When the offense rolls, the defense isn’t there.

When the defense rolls, the offense isn’t there.

You can’t have much promise when neither of these is consistent.

I would say Seattle can beat half the teams they play each year but they also struggle when they win games and the games they win are a last play kind of thing.

A betting man wouldn’t want to play those odds cause they are not a recipe for long term success.

You may win here and there but winning in playoffs, that just doesn’t work at all.

I would not be surprise if the locker room is lost and the defensive players don’t get along with the offensive players.

Going to have some lean years to come with the way this team is built.

And that’s from ownership down.

Gonna be alot more of frustrating games to come.

chris98251

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1linvc0m said:
There’s no consistency on either side of the ball to feel any kind of optimism for the remainder of the season.

When the offense rolls, the defense isn’t there.

When the defense rolls, the offense isn’t there.

You can’t have much promise when neither of these is consistent.

I would say Seattle can beat half the teams they play each year but they also struggle when they win games and the games they win are a last play kind of thing.

A betting man wouldn’t want to play those odds cause they are not a recipe for long term success.

You may win here and there but winning in playoffs, that just doesn’t work at all.

I would not be surprise if the locker room is lost and the defensive players don’t get along with the offensive players.

Going to have some lean years to come with the way this team is built.

And that’s from ownership down.

Gonna be alot more of frustrating games to come.

So tell me what about the ownership is bad? Assuming you want Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, Mark Cuban, Stephen Ross, Woody Johnson, style ownership then, or maybe an owner that is more like York with S.F. I see people criticizing Jody who basically runs the team like Paul did initially, she just didn't buy it and build a stadium out of the gate. She isn't firing people midseason to satisfy fans, few teams do that they try to put a plan in place behind the scenes first then act.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
chris98251":3460hoq9 said:
So tell me what about the ownership is bad?

Besides being an absentee owner, when she signed a 70 year old coach to a 5 year extension and handed over the keys in which he has absolute power, thats when I decided it wasnt going to end well.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Aros":169rfxlq said:

Go Hawks!

Nice post.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not over until it's over, even if it's a slim chance. Still gotta' lace em up. I'll stick with them no matter what, always have always will. I just have very low expectations right now. Win on Sunday and I'll start to believe a little more.
I've been called a homer thousands of times, but my confidence hasn't been this low since the Mora year. The difference is that this team has a LOT of talent that is being wasted by crap coaching and a lack of discipline. Just my opinion.
That being said, they have lost 4 games they should have won imo. So, they are certainly not the Jets.
Oh well, on to Sunday.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The only saving grace of this season is the NFC is a complete wash right now outside of the Packers and Cards missing Kyler. So many mediocre teams all with roughly the same records. Seahawks need to figure out how to play a consistent game on both sides of the ball and shockingly at this point it's the offense who needs to get it together. Defense seems to really have taken a step forward. Jamal is looking like the guy they traded the farm for and Tre Brown has completely rejuvenated the scheme.

If the offense can start putting up AVERAGE TOP instead of dead last, control the game a bit more, and give the defense a lead, things should turn around. There's too much talent on that side of the ball to look so lost for 2/3 of every game. I do think if they come out and look like garbage this weekend, falling to 3-7, the season is likely over and we will be hearing a lot more rumblings over Russell wanting out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. I think I saw last night where 10 teams in the AFC have a .500 or better record. NFC, not so much.
In fact, I was laughing last night watching the new media darlings get SMOKED by a 3 win team.

But....but.....ODB! But.....Stafford! But.....Von Miller!!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":bbqyvsmo said:
No doubt. I think I saw last night where 10 teams in the AFC have a .500 or better record. NFC, not so much.
In fact, I was laughing last night watching the new media darlings get SMOKED by a 3 win team.

But....but.....ODB! But.....Stafford! But.....Von Miller!!

Yea - that was fun to watch. Loved the announcers softly talking about the game plan against the Rams. Monster pass rush? No problem. Run the ball.

I did like that game. SF playing like it's their Owl! Jeez - it's like they were playing us!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And I hate to admit it, out of pure hate for them, but the Niners looked impressive last night. Very well coached team imo.

xray

Reaction score
With 14 teams allowed in post season , and teams having 7 or 8 games left to play ; most teams can't be counted out yet . So what ? 43.75 % of the leagues teams are playoff bound , some of which actually suck .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like the Parity in the league. You can't honestly even point to one team in the league and say that's the best team. Every team has had a clunker game, and every team has some weaknesses.
Should make playoffs pretty fun this year. I don't think the Hawks get in the playoffs this year, but you never know.

xray

Reaction score
12 play-off teams were plenty . Adding 2 more was really only about $$$$ , basically quantity over quality . IMO

Latest posts