Does John Schneider get a Pass ?

justafan

Reaction score
I think he has more freedom than most people here thinks he has. He and the scouting dept have failed too many times drafting lineman on both sides of the trenches. Even players with marginal success havent been keepers to build the team around. Im not saying fire him but that has been a huge weak spot.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. Not saying you are wrong though.

I just don't think any of us know how much true consensus exists between John and Pete. John can't publicy disagree with decisions when he is overridden, so it's just impossible to know how many of the personnel faux pas' could be attributed to John with the way our hierachy is set up.

My vote is keep him, and at least let him have a say in the next QB to follow Russ. He clearly has a decent track record at that with his scouting and interest in Russell, Mahomes, and Josh Allen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You asking this on dot negative? According to many, he's the worst GM in the league.
And yes, I know that's an exaggeration, but it pretty much sums it up.
He hasn't been good in the 1st round for a long while. I still would love to see how he does as a GM with a different coach.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hard to say. John Schneider doesn't have the final say in any decisions. I will say this, if Wilson forced his way out and we decided to move on from Carroll, i'd want him selecting our next QB. Given who he has looked at, it is clear that John Schneider knows a thing or two about QB's. He's put significant scouting resources into Tannehill, Josh Allen, and Mahommes when they were coming out. Russell Wilson was also his favorite QB in the 2012 draft. Really good track record on QB's he's been interested in.

As far as John Schneider personally, it's really hard to separate him from Pete Carroll as far as his other moves. I'm not sure what sort of consensus they have, or how involved he is in the final say at draft day. Ultimately Pete Carroll has the final say over everything. I'm curious as to what he'd look like outside of Pete Carroll's influence if we did move on or Carroll decided to retire.

I do find it interesting that he's scouted so many high profile QB prospects over the years.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We are certainly getting a lot of good picks in the later rounds that are turning into some of our better players.

I don't think that is a coincidence.

Is it John?

Or someone on his team?

No idea but it is more likely that Pete is not digging as deep into the 4th-7th rounders.

Pete is a notorious control freak. So at least seeing what John can do without him seems in order, good GMs are hard to find - even more so than coaches.

No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21n6yktx said:
You asking this on dot negative? According to many, he's the worst GM in the league.
And yes, I know that's an exaggeration, but it pretty much sums it up.
He hasn't been good in the 1st round for a long while. I still would love to see how he does as a GM with a different coach.

dot net: Pete needs to go, like ASAP. Russ should be 'consulted' to hire a new HC that he approves, John could stay if he accepts reporting to Russ.

Then comes the tough nut, Jody, there's no doubt in Russ's and dot net's mind that Russ deserve to own the hawks more than Jody. What has Jody done for the hawks other than renewing Pete's contract????? How to have Jody sell the team, and only to Russ is the difficult part. But hey, the commissioner sat with the Wilsons at superbowl, not with Jody.

Toffee, the #1 Russell Homer is chanting Wilson for president, although we might have to wait a few years for that, after Russ become the only owner player to win a super bowl.

Go Russ, and alter ego Unlimited!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He's an effective executive and rebuilder. He consistently finds value in the mid and late rounds, and he has an eye for quarterbacks.

Yes. He stays.

justafan

Reaction score
There is a good interview JS has on the Rich Eisen show. Pete didnt even know about the trade up with NE or the fact he planned on drafting Metcalf. JS wants Pete to agree with him and I believe Pete trust and respects his judgement and area of expertise.

When Pete and John first got hired Tod Leiweke said his job was to ensure collaborations between the 3. Pete just doesnt push JS around and gets whatever he wants, otherwise I believe JS would have taken the Packers job.

toffee

Reaction score
justafan":265f9lu7 said:
There is a good interview JS has on the Rich Eisen show. Pete didnt even know about the trade up with NE or the fact he planned on drafting Metcalf. JS wants Pete to agree with him and I believe Pete trust and respects his judgement and area of expertise.

When Pete and John first got hired Tod Leiweke said his job was to ensure collaborations between the 3. Pete just doesnt push JS around and gets whatever he wants, otherwise I believe JS would have taken the Packers job.

Will John agrees to reporting to Russ after Pete is gone?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Really depends who has been making the decisions for things like the Graham and Jamal trade or constantly drafting these RBs who didn't pan out. Or Malik..list goes on and on and on.

justafan

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3kpgbekt said:
Really depends who has been making the decisions for things like the Graham and Jamal trade or constantly drafting these RBs who didn't pan out. Or Malik..list goes on and on and on.

AgentDibs,who I think is one of the best and most logical posters here, wrote a post on his opinions about the trades and why they made them. Nobody agrees with most of these trades but he hit it on the head IMO.

toffee

Reaction score
justafan":17eh6490 said:
ZagHawk":17eh6490 said:

AgentDibs,who I think is one of the best and most logical posters here, wrote a post on his opinions about the trades and why they made them. Nobody agrees with most of these trades but he hit it on the head IMO.

Got link? love to read it, thx

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm pretty neutral with Schneider as I dont think he's responsible for a lot of the misses. He was ready to bolt once already until they dangled all that cabbage in front of him. I'm impartial if he leaves or stays.