Why is Russ getting so much praise for "coming back early"?

BamKam

Reaction score
Especially if it ultimately hurt the team? Seems like he is still in this weird "I have to prove to people i'm tough and resilient" phase. Almost as if it was more important that he came back than how he would actually effect the game. He gets the weirdest excuses for playing so poorlu sometimes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone praising Russell after the game Sunday, it was all before the game.

I think the general consensus is that Russell's finger recovery timeline was indeed 6-8 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep out of the local or national media praising Russell.

We just got shut out, and it was obvious Russell's finger still wasn't right.........so no one can say it was the right thing to do.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because we obviously need yet another Russ thread.
He came back too early, Pete shouldn't have allowed to happen. He had a crap game, we know it, he knows it. He is trying to help his team win. Only in Seattle would a guy get blasted and called selfish. Geezus man, dude can't win with some of you, ever.
On to Sunday.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is what I, and many others have a problem with. Russell is so concerned about his "brand" and "legacy" his ego is driving his common sense. Yes he worked his ass off to come back sooner than the average timeline. I'm not trying to undermine his incredible commitment and work ethic which has been legendary since he came into the league. But this is not the same man who came into the league. It's not just X's and O's anymore. It's all about how he can strengthen his brand, his legacy...I won't fall for the trap of saying Ciara is the problem. However, you can't tell me she helps either.

She too wants to strengthen her brand...I would imagine nothing would make them both happier than if they left for a larger market like LA or NY. Russell's motivation to come back so soon against Green Bay was hoping for that story line of "Russell's incredible comeback as he puts the team on his back to victory in Green Bay" to add to his "legacy". His ego in essence placed his interests over the team's. I don't fault him for wanting to compete and see if he could help the team win but he should have done the right thing and taken himself out of the game when it was clear he didn't have it.

I miss the Russell that never slept. That was the one who was up all night going over game film and prepping and studying. No distractions about what fur coat he's going to wear while straddling a horse on some magazine shoot. Or sniffing perfumes or colognes to see which ones he prefers to add to his line.

I miss 2012-2016 Russell. We all do.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Because it was time.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1457762869072719874[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Again, he is getting blasted for coming back. Pete is the damn head coach, he should have known to hold him out another week. As usual, he has zero control over the team. Players come back too early from injuries all the time. Somehow, it's not ok for Russ. And for the record, I was screaming at Pete during the game to get him out of there.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I haven't seen any praise about it anywhere. The opposite actually. My gut tells m that he was going to probably have an off game whenever he came back. Rusty from not playing is a real thing. The finger is better. He's had his chance to shake off the rust. This Sunday its time to see him play well. I believe he will.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":7uyb5ycw said:
Again, he is getting blasted for coming back. Pete is the damn head coach, he should have known to hold him out another week. As usual, he has zero control over the team. Players come back too early from injuries all the time. Somehow, it's not ok for Russ. And for the record, I was screaming at Pete during the game to get him out of there.

You are correct, it's on Pete to determine whether any of his players are ready to play, that includes his franchise QB.

This entire situation is a dysfunctional glimpse into what's going on right now with the Seahawk's organization right now, which is Pete's desperation to win and keep his job, and that's exposed the fact that he's allowing Russell to dictate his own health status...........which was obviously wrong and ego driven.

toffee

Reaction score
Aros":3oli1ye8 said:
This is what I, and many others have a problem with. Russell is so concerned about his "brand" and "legacy" his ego is driving his common sense. Yes he worked his ass off to come back sooner than the average timeline. I'm not trying to undermine his incredible commitment and work ethic which has been legendary since he came into the league. But this is not the same man who came into the league. It's not just X's and O's anymore. It's all about how he can strengthen his brand, his legacy...I won't fall for the trap of saying Ciara is the problem. However, you can't tell me she helps either.

She too wants to strengthen her brand...I would imagine nothing would make them both happier than if they left for a larger market like LA or NY. Russell's motivation to come back so soon against Green Bay was hoping for that story line of "Russell's incredible comeback as he puts the team on his back to victory in Green Bay" to add to his "legacy". His ego in essence placed his interests over the team's. I don't fault him for wanting to compete and see if he could help the team win but he should have done the right thing and taken himself out of the game when it was clear he didn't have it.

I miss the Russell that never slept. That was the one who was up all night going over game film and prepping and studying. No distractions about what fur coat he's going to wear while straddling a horse on some magazine shoot. Or sniffing perfumes or colognes to see which ones he prefers to add to his line.

Totally nailed it.

One thing to add: The magazine shots, the perfumes, etc will INSTANTLY dry up the minute Wilson couldn't play QB like the 2012-2016 Russell Wilson. It's a cruel world.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Do you guys honestly think than any of the other top QB's would have just come out and said they were not ready? That's not how they are build. Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes etc. Any of these come back early, they get praise and excuses.

OP
OP
B

BamKam

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2igfov30 said:

If Russ wants to start, he is going to start. Pete is not going to overrule him unless he actually can't physically run or throw a football. It is clear over the past few years that they are tailoring almost everything to him.

hoxrox

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":hgn7ze9e said:
As usual, he has zero control over the team.

Zero control over the team? I thought he was a meddling, micro-managing, control freak?

Pete is not above criticism, but at least be consistent with it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":notkq8rj said:
Players come back too early from injuries all the time. Somehow, it's not ok for Russ.
You say that, but do you have a single example? One superstar who was cleared medically and wanted to play and their coach benched them anyway in an important game. Coaches err on the side of playing their key players.

It does happen to mediocre players but you can't have it both ways. If Russ is a HOF Superstar QB then he's going to get treated like one. Posts that want the coaching staff to treat him like a replacement level player just come across as naïve.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BamKam":3vtrl326 said:
SoulfishHawk":3vtrl326 said:

If Russ wants to start, he is going to start. Pete is not going to overrule him unless he actually can't physically run or throw a football. It is clear over the past few years that they are tailoring almost everything to him.

I'm OK with a 60-70% healthy Russ starting, but only if HE understands that he's only 60-70% and doesn't just keep chucking the ball downfield like we saw Sunday throwing wobbly ducks resulting in desperate picks.

It's one thing for your franchise QB to come back early from injury, it's another if he himself doesn't understand his limitations and adjust his game accordingly.

THAT'S the part we're not really talking about, Russ needs to play more conservatively..............and the playcalls also need to take that into consideration, and not just act like he's 100%.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Aros":1d987us2 said:

This. 1000 times this. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You honestly think Pete hasn't lost this team? He absolutely has. He might be a control freak, but he clearly doesn't know HOW to control his players.

I'm gonna' go ahead and retire from the Russ talk. It's not even worth it. See it how you want, I'll see it how I want.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Aros":3lhwn6rm said:

This is why you are a God

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Why is he getting praise for coming back early? Our society (and by that I mean Western American) love feel good stories, triumphs over diversity, and of course he's the face of the franchise. Need him healthy for butts in seats.

toffee

Reaction score
Because we love our franchise QB, we appreciate his rehap effort, we admire his indomitable spirit.

Russ is the best QB our team ever have, a generational talent, and all around good guy. Frankly he earned our praises.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
ddores":3m3h4v93 said:
Aros":3m3h4v93 said:

This. 1000 times this. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

ahh then good thing you still have him it is well documented he is still the first in and the last out, they still had all the receivers down to California during the off-season, he is still giving the entire teams presentations on the next opponent, He is still doing all those things, the only difference is some like you choose to ignore it and focus on others things that every QB in the league does.