How is the o line playing?

LTH

Reaction score
Ok so in an effort to bring the conversation away from Carroll and Russ I think a very important crew on the seahawks offense is the O-line. how good are these guys really playing?

How come the media isn't talking about Mike Solari's role in what's happening from his perspective on how the O line is performing and why? what do you think?

It really feels like the Hawks are giving up some sacks this year (stat guys your on) are the giving the QB enough time to throw the ball ? does anyone have some thoughts on what they need to do to get better?

here is an interesting article about the Seahawks guards Damion Lewis and Gabe jackson. in the article they claim the guards had there worst game of the season in GB... are they right? what do you think?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ar ... d=msedgntp

Myself II think this unit is going to be ok... I think there have been some injuries and the unit just needs to keep working and create some good continuity with the same guys... the depth is ok they seem to fuill in nicely

I think the run blocking has been ok I think they can do better they have been up against some pretty darn good D fronts GB, the Steelers, the Rams, the Titians, the Saints so they have seen great competition and they are going to be better.

What are your thoughts?

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
The article you reference is a Field Gulls article by Frank T Raines [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/11/18/22736075/are-seattle-seahawks-playing-offensive-guards-on-wrong-side-of-line-mike-solari-jackson-lewis[/urltargetblank]

In my eyes the stats presented suggest that guards who are starting because of their run blocking ability are placed at a distinct disadvantage by in unbalanced pass heavy game.

With regards to Damion Lewis, I think fans and media over hyped his first year a bit while in search of draft bragging rights. Opponents had a full off season to study Damion and make adjustments as to how and where they would attack blocking. Never the less, I think Lewis is going to refine his game and see a second contract. The center is going to lend the left guard a helping hand as a priority over the right guard in pass blocking. So moving him to left guard makes some sense to me as he works to improve his lateral quickness and soaks up all the lessons to be learned in his second year.

I like Gabe Jackson at right guard. No reason to upset that spot.

Ethan Pocic has brought order to the offensive line. I think he has had a positive impact on improving communication and coordination of blocking assignments.

The starting tackles are competitive.

I like how this offensive line is working together. Although health will be the determining governor as to how well they can play the rest of the way.

kf3339

Reaction score
The O-line is below average right now, but it's not their fault. I don't think Solari has really been given a strong hand to make a quality line.

Brown while willing is pretty much done. You won't see him next year with us and probably retires.

Lewis to me is playing out of position. I think he's far better on the right side and could become a pro bowl player. Jackson should be the LG as he has a lot more experience going against penetrating DT's. He would at least hold his own.

Our Center position is a mess, but that isn't a shock to anyone I assume on this board. A third WR wasn't the right choice in the draft. But too late to matter now.

Our RT position may have a long term answer in Curhan! I think he may start late in this season and be the starter next year. Shell had been okay when healthy, but he is just very short term answer. Solari knows Curhan well and I bet is grooming him for that starter spot much sooner than some may realize.

My line would be the rest of this year..

LT. Brown
LG. Jackson
C. The best available
RG. Lewis
RT. Shell

When we are eliminated from playoff contention..

LT. Forsythe
LG. Jackson
C. The best available
RG. Lewis
RT. Curhan

Let them learn on the job with a few vets to help their learning curve.

toffee

Reaction score
kf3339":2ct17x5e said:
LT. Forsythe
LG. Jackson
C. The best available
RG. Lewis
RT. Curhan

You want Russ to get injured again? It's all about trade value, an injured QB won't get you full price.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm sure not going to complain about the Eskridge choice as I believe that guy has game changing talent. However, I feel center position was and still is one of our most urgent offensive needs, along with RB. I do not agree with the notion that the center position has gained any progress over last year, which was abysmal. Also agree that our guards need to flip sides back to where they belong.

kf3339

Reaction score
toffee":3g4vqvkv said:
kf3339":3g4vqvkv said:
LT. Forsythe
LG. Jackson
C. The best available
RG. Lewis
RT. Curhan

You want Russ to get injured again? It's all about trade value, an injured QB won't get you full price.

First, a lot I hear on this board is about keeping RW and getting a new HC. RW was already injured with the current lineup. So his trade value with last weeks return is already hurting his trade value. Of course I want him to be healthy, but I also want to start the process of building a future line that can grow together. That isn't happening with Brown and Shell hanging on for the last 4-5 games. So yes, let the young guys get 1st team snaps. If so worried about injury say RW needs to sit and fully heal and start Geno for the last 4-5 games. This thread is about the line performance and not QB issues.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Brown is struggling and looks as old as he is, the guards are playing out of position for some unbelievable reason so they are set up for failure, the center position is a mess like it always is, and Shell is a JAG. So yeah, it isnt great.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3aqtpqha said:
Brown is struggling and looks as old as he is, the guards are playing out of position for some unbelievable reason so they are set up for failure, the center position is a mess like it always is, and Shell is a JAG. So yeah, it isnt great.

All true. But the O-line has been below average for many years. And blaming Solari for this has some merit, but, it's also like blaming a chef for a bad meal -- because his ingredients were too old and of below-average quality,

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2s3dojpm said:
pittpnthrs":2s3dojpm said:

All true. But the O-line has been below average for many years. And blaming Solari for this has some merit, but, it's also like blaming a chef for a bad meal -- because his ingredients were too old and of below-average quality,

Yeah i'm not blaming Solari (maybe for the position swap at the guard position as I still dont understand that) he's only playing with the hand he was dealt with.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
One thing that's not being discussed, is how the O-Line graded out for the three games that Geno Smith played in.
Seems to me like the differences in the way Russ & Geno play the position, would show some differences in blocking schemes for each, no?

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
scutterhawk":31a3yj8m said:
One thing that's not being discussed, is how the O-Line graded out for the three games that Geno Smith played in.
Seems to me like the differences in the way Russ & Geno play the position, would show some differences in blocking schemes for each, no?

yes that is a interesting question.. I'm not a stat guy so I'm WAITING on all of the stat guys to come to life and bless us with that info.... stat guys you are on GO FOR IT LOL

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The position swap at Guard just makes no sense.

I really would like someone to explain the rationale behind it. Not being sarcastic.

Why move a player that looks perfectly capable to a position to they struggle?

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1saea1ua said:
The position swap at Guard just makes no sense.

I really would like someone to explain the rationale behind it. Not being sarcastic.

Why move a player that looks perfectly capable to a position to they struggle?

I touched on a little of that in an earlier post. The coaching staff addressed it earlier in the year. :229031_shrug: But clearly none of that has resonated.

I do think the offensive line has played better together as the season has progressed. But, that view apparently also resonates with a minority of this forum's posters

Jville

Reaction score
Post Script .................

Looking back on the Packers film, I thought the Packers had excellent success attacking the lateral quickness of both guards. A key part, even if generally overlooked, of an excellent Packers defensive game plan.

To me, it’s the fact that both of Seattle’s guards had their worst game of the season last Sunday at Lambeau Field.

Through the first 8 games, Gabe Jackson had given up 11 total pressures. Against the Packers, he surrendered 7.

And Damien Lewis ... poor, poor Damien Lewis ...

Before Sunday, Lewis had allowed 1 sack, 4 hits, 5 hurries, and 10 total pressures. On the frozen tundra, he surrendered 1 hit, 5 hurries, and 6 total pressures.

.................. it's all on film. Excellent execution by Packer players and coaches. Good film depicting how to use an opponents size against them. Excellent.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The OL is a mess again. Brown was a perennial pro bowl/all-pro before he was traded to the Seahawks. I don't believe age is the only factor why seems to be struggling this year. As for Lewis, I didn't like the idea of moving him to LG. He played RG superbly last season. He should have stayed there or kept him at center (he was decent there too).

My preference for the OL would be -

RT - Shell/Jones
RG - Lewis
C - Pocic/Lewis*
LG - Jackson
LT - Brown

* I'd like to see Lewis at C when they are playing teams such as Rams, who have a prolific inerior DL. Donald eats Pocic/Fuller. When Lewis played that spot last season, he fared well against Aaron Donald.

I think some of the problems with OL is that Andy Dickerson is also involved here. He and Solari are working together for the first time. While Solari is the OL coach, Dickerson is the run game coordinator. The run game has been subpar. The Rams lost their #1 back too. Plus they have Andrew Whitworth who's pushing 70...j/k...but he will be 40 in Dec, as their starting LT.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/2...ely-means-seattle-seahawks-mike-solari-o-line

I pull up stats for the Seahawks rushing offense per game for the past 3 1/2 seasons -

2018 - 160 yds per game, 1st in the NFL
2019 - 137.5 yds per game, 4th in the NFL
2020 - 123.2 yds per game, 12th in the NFL
2021 - 99.8 yds per game, 22nd in the NFL

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/stat/rushing/season/2021/seasontype/2

Not sure why they felt they need to hire a run game coordinator, they were a top 15 rushing offense prior to this season.

toffee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2pwdkd4m said:
For the GB game, our center Pocic was graded by PFF as elite. 85 overall, 91.3 run block and 74.1 pass block.

By far the best offense player of the game.

Both guards run block well, pass block poorly. Shell had a good game but Brown was substandard. Overall, put OL did an admirable job run blocking.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":1dd2d6ya said:
pittpnthrs":1dd2d6ya said:
For the GB game, our center Pocic was graded by PFF as elite. 85 overall, 91.3 run block and 74.1 pass block.

Both guards run block well, pass block poorly. Shell had a good game but Brown was substandard. Overall, put OL did an admirable job run blocking.

Cool that Pocic had a good game but the guards and Brown got abused.

toffee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3k16fpq7 said:
toffee":3k16fpq7 said:
pittpnthrs":3k16fpq7 said:

Cool that Pocic had a good game but the guards and Brown got abused.
Guards and Brown supposed to be our OL's strength coming into this season, sigh.

TreeRon

Reaction score
An old beat up Iupati was light years better than either guard we have now. He was a true run blocking road grader. If we are going to be a run first offense we need guys that can win a run blocking. It's obvious we don't have anyone that can do that. First thing we need is a run blocking center, then at least one guard, then a left tackle to replace Brown and so on and so forth.

Jville

Reaction score
Given that injuries affect performance, being cognizant of who played hurt or took a seat is relevant.

Duane Brown played with a hip injury and didn't finish the game. Limited to 40 snaps for 66%.

Jamarco Jones, with a bad back, picked up the remaining 21 snaps. And this week, Jones is listed as doubtful for this Sunday.

I have no doubt that Damien Lewis's pass blocking has deteriorated in part because of health issues at left tackle.