Travis Homer, his potential

toffee

Reaction score
We didn't play him much, when we did, he was mostly a pass blocker? In three seasons he enjoyed PFF rating of 63.1 average 6.3 yards per carry in this rook season. 58 with 3.5 ypc last season, and this season: 64.8 and 6.2 ypc on only ten carries. And yes he earned the highest pass blocking grade among all offense players in last week's green bay game, 84 I think.

Sounded like he was in mostly on pass plays, almost a give away to opposing team that a pass play is coming when Homer was on the field.

What's his potential as an everydown back?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
On obvious passing plays, Homer is absolutely your best option - because he is 2x the blocker that any of our other backs are.

He has a knack for stoning free rushers or shutting the blitz down. He doesn't just chip guys, he stops them.

He can also leak out and catch the pass.

I would have him in on every 3rd and long regardless of telegraphing the pass - they know you are passing in long to go scenarios.

As for every down? No. He doesn't have exceptional vision or power, and he might be fast but his acceleration/quickness doesn't stand out either.

His strength is the RB in your passing sets, and for that he is fantastic.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If the sole purpose was for him to be a pass blocker on must pass situations. Why not just send an extra lineman or TE?

nwHawk

Reaction score
How about we mix him in a little more and stop being so predictable? A fresh homer is far better than a rusty Penny.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":280p8cds said:
On obvious passing plays, Homer is absolutely your best option - because he is 2x the blocker that any of our other backs are.

He has a knack for stoning free rushers or shutting the blitz down. He doesn't just chip guys, he stops them.

He can also leak out and catch the pass.

I would have him in on every 3rd and long regardless of telegraphing the pass - they know you are passing in long to go scenarios.

As for every down? No. He doesn't have exceptional vision or power, and he might be fast but his acceleration/quickness doesn't stand out either.

His strength is the RB in your passing sets, and for that he is fantastic.

I agree that he is an excellent pass blocker and that he has a great ability to catch the pass and the fact it looks so predictable for the pass on 3rd down just sets them up for a nice running play for a first down.

LTH

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
For the GB game, PFF rated Homer's pass blocking at 84.8, totally elite. I think we have to run him some to keep other teams guessing.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
With Carson out i expect his carries will go up Penny is just dead weight at this point time to cut him lose.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
His pass blocking is fun to watch. It was one of the highlights last week for sure. He needs to get more carries and pass looks.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The "telegraphing" and "tell" stuff is overblown. Third down backs have been an established position in the NFL for quite some time. They are nothing new.

Homer has potential to be one of the best 3rd down backs in the NFL. He already is in the conversation for the best pass blocking back in the league. He mixes in decently as a supplemental rusher.

All in all, he fills a role and does it well, but should probably not be viewed as a solution in regards to purely rushing the ball.

Jville

Reaction score
If snap counts are any indication, it's now the Homer / Collins show at running back. Last Sunday, Travis ended up with one more snap than Alex.

So looks like it might be Collins and Homer the rest of the way.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me he’s JAG, nothing more than a 3rd string backup level and/or a ST player. Lots of guys around who are the same or even potentially better if you looked at other rosters. Sorry to be negative but when he’s been asked to be the guy he hasn’t been up to it.

Only reason he’s here is his guaranteed money or pure positional need.. I doubt that he’d be a player getting any thing more than a minimum 2nd contract.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't think anyone thought he'd ever be "the guy", but he has shown value as a role-player type back who when used effectively can contribute. You need lunch-pail guys like Homer to fill out the roster and make those valuable contributions between the #1's touches and on special teams. Is he replaceable? Absolutely. Personally, I like him, and given the talent (?) above him and the overall situation of the team I'd say he deserves more touches as a COP back.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Homer has had some nice plays this season, but what would be good is a downhill, short-yardage back who is not afraid of contact.

Collins is pretty good but he's not really that. And Penny is definitely not. Dallas? Maybe.

Jville

Reaction score
hoxrox":1jg5h756 said:
Homer has had some nice plays this season, but what would be good is a downhill, short-yardage back who is not afraid of contact.

Collins is pretty good but he's not really that. And Penny is definitely not. Dallas? Maybe.

Given that they really can't afford a repeat of last weekend, I would expect better balance tomorrow. One that will inspire blockers to go on the attack and dictate to the opposing defense much more. One that will allow fans to better access and enjoy the run blocking and ball carriers.

Maybe ..... just maybe ...... we will get to see that unfold tomorrow.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
He has no potential.

I've read on this very board that he has no business being on an NFL field for any reason or under any circumstances.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1tbt79y3 said:
He has no potential.

I've read on this very board that he has no business being on an NFL field for any reason or under any circumstances.

73 yards touch down run against a good 9ers defense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Homer broke a tackle on at least one run this season that I can recall. He looks bigger and stronger than in past seasons also.

I don't ever recall seeing Homer break a tackle on any previous play. Not saying he hasn't, just saying I wasn't watching when it happened.

Homer is a valuable part of the team as a role player. Excellent on special teams, good for trick plays, can fill in at RB whenever needed, good out of passing sets, always does his job. Maybe he'll continue to develop as a runner. Worth keeping around.

Sure, give him a few more carries. IMO his ceiling is Robert Turbin, though does some things better than Turbin.

As I write this, Homer just recovered the SF fumble on the kickoff. Yup, difference-maker on special teams.