Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carson out for the season!

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Carson out for the season!
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Re: Carson out for the season!
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:09 pm
  • I really like Carson. I love the physicality he runs with. Sadly though, I think it is time to find his replacement (it's not anyone currently on the roster imo).
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:47 pm
  • Carson hasn't been good for a while now and never available. Hopefully it isn't career ending but he needs to contemplate retirement
    ArlosSpecial
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:52 pm
  • Neck injuries are something you don't want to mess with. If I'm Chris Carson, I'd be thinking long and hard about calling it a career and walk away with my health.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:25 pm
  • Its ok, Penny 'bout to ball out!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:38 pm
  • And the first person who claims Carson isn't tough should just stop watching football. I think he will retire, this has been a problem for a long while. If so, they got a hell of a lot of production out of a 7th round pick.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:05 pm
  • He may be tough but he is another injury waiting to happen. Time to move on from our entire RB room. Let’s draft 2 more RB busts.
    zchurch74
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:07 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:And the first person who claims Carson isn't tough should just stop watching football. I think he will retire, this has been a problem for a long while. If so, they got a hell of a lot of production out of a 7th round pick.

Agreed. Anyone who's playing pro football has to be tough. Only a small percentage even get the privilege of doing so. Sorry to hear about Carson. I hope he makes full a recovery.

Looking ahead. There are a number of good backs in this year's draft. A few names that may be on the Seahawks radar may be -

Kenneth Walker, Mich St (most likely is the best rb in NCAA currently)
    Breece Hall, Iowa St
    Tyler Allegaier, BYU
    Zonovan Knight, NC State
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:08 pm
  • The guy runs to contact we love it, however, it will always limit the number of games he can play.

People were always frustrated with Alexander and how he ran, but the dude was available for every game.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:24 pm

• Asked how much confidence he had that Carson will be able to play next year, Carroll said, "Every bit of it that he will. That's the whole reason that we're doing it now, and he's all for it. He just couldn't shake it. He tried like crazy to get it done, and this is so he can play next year."

Carroll said the injury isn't a long-term one that carried over from past seasons, saying, "There's just a little spot in one of his (vertebrae), he's got a rough spot in there that's irritating a nerve. … It's a wear and tear type of thing that developed. He has not had signs of it from the past."

Carroll reiterated a point he made earlier in the season that Carson's injury is not the same as the neck injuries that ended the careers of Seahawks Legends Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril, hence the optimism Carson will play next season.

Link to source >>>> https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-rb-chris-carson-to-have-season-ending-neck-surgery
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:31 pm
  • James in PA wrote:Its ok, Penny 'bout to ball out!!!!!!!

UR sooooo lucky I can't slap U from here .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:29 pm
  • Free Penny!
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:39 pm
  • xray wrote:
    James in PA wrote:Its ok, Penny 'bout to ball out!!!!!!!

UR sooooo lucky I can't slap U from here .

:lol:
    RastaHawk12!
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:25 pm
  • Big fan of Chris Carson, but i's time for him to call it a career.
    Keyhawk
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:49 pm
  • Does anyone know exactly what kind of neck injury?
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 pm
  • I’m starting to think his NFL career might be over? I wish him luck.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Does anyone know exactly what kind of neck injury?

Based on what Pete said it sounds like one of his vertebrae has a bulging disk or some kind of damage and is pinching a nerve, if I was him I would just retire, neck injuries are nothing to play around with, especially with his type of physical running style.
    PNW
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:01 am
  • They have amazing technology now, but fusing or trying to puts some kind of spacer in the neck area to act as a disc? Not a good thing when you make a living headbutting 3 hundred pounders many times.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:23 am
  • RiverDog wrote:Neck injuries are something you don't want to mess with. If I'm Chris Carson, I'd be thinking long and hard about calling it a career and walk away with my health.

I agree, sadly.
    Vesuve
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:00 am
  • While Carson is a hard runner it is just because of that reality that he has been only available for 45 of 64 regular season games up until this year. The team’s preferred running style uses up running backs.

By the end of this season with him for sure now being out for the rest of the season he will have only played in 48 of 81 regular season games. He is hardly a player who fairly can be regarded as reliable in terms of availability with that 59% availability record.

The neck injury is clearly worrisome and often signals the end of the player’s career. I am a fan of Carson b/c you have to respect his tough running style but I suspect he’s very close to being done. I would not give him a big 3rd contract as he has been used up which is sad and unfortunate but a reality.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:14 am
  • I hope these free Penny, time for Penny statements are intended as jokes.
    GemCity
    NET Rookie

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:28 am
  • PeteBall needs a great running back, and an elite game manager. PeteBall hasn't been the same since Marshawn retired, consequent effort to find that great running back all end in failure except Carson. Lacy, Penny etc., none truly worked out. Any can't miss RBs available in next year's draft? Once we trade Russ to a team with great offense minded HC and established OL, we can use the draft picks from his trade to overhaul our OL, RB and find that manager.

With trade of Russ, retirement of Brown, and releasing Penny, we will have cap, won't we?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:31 pm
  • I would like to see them take a flyer on this guy.

TYRION DAVIS-PRICE RB LSU

Has size to hold up and enough to work with to maybe be a guy that is a bell cow back.

BREECE HALL, IOWA STATE

Looks the part but Price is more rounded, Hall isn't going to fool anyone as a pass catcher and not great at blocking.

CHRIS RODRIGUEZ JR., KENTUCKY 5-foot-11, 224-pounder

BRIAN ROBINSON, ALABAMA 6-foot-1 and 228 pounds,

I am looking at running style and size to hold up for a long season, we have backs that are situational.

Unless we change our O line to a more Rams like agility type scheme we need a power break tackles type for most downs. Now if one of these guys or another can be had and is a angry inflict pain guy we may get going again.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:25 pm
  • If he never plays again, he
    has gave 100 % since being in Seattle . If playing too hard is a bad thing than I quit watching or caring about the NFL .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:44 pm
  • xray wrote:If he never plays again, he
    has gave 100 % since being in Seattle . If playing too hard is a bad thing than I quit watching or caring about the NFL .

He should retire, the compression issue and nerve problem is not something I would mess with given he can be hit or run into someone at the wrong angle any given time and re injure or injure another location where they repair this and be worse off.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:15 pm

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 pm
  • PNW wrote:Yikes! From Pete today “he's got a disc issue that needs to be fused.” He should definitely 100% retire, keep your body as healthy as possible CC

https://www.seahawks.com/news/surgery-f ... ry-updates

Fuse less flexibility no cushion between vertebrae, he gets a neck jammed he could be done walking and using his hands if those fragments hit his spinal cord.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:22 pm
  • What Happens During a Single-Level Cervical Fusion?

When a patient undergoes a single-level cervical fusion surgery, it is typically a two-part process:

Decompression. Surgeon removes the intervertebral disc between adjacent vertebrae, as well as any other structures that might be irritating a spinal nerve or the spinal cord, such as bony overgrowths (bone spurs).

See Bone Spurs (Osteophytes) and Back Pain
    Fusion. After the decompression part of the surgery, that spinal level needs to be stabilized. The surgeon instruments the two adjacent vertebrae and adds bone graft to promote bone growth and ultimately a solid fusion between the two vertebrae.

See Obtaining a Solid Spine Fusion

The surgery is termed an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, or ACDF for shor

How Single-Level Fusion Affects Overall Neck Mobility

After the period of 6 to 12 months following ACDF surgery, during which the fusion sets up, a single-level cervical fusion does not significantly affect a patient’s overall cervical range of motion. While motion is lost at the vertebral level that is fused, adjacent levels (one above and below) tend to gain mobility, which mitigates at least some of the loss from the single-level fusion.

See ACDF Surgery Postoperative Care

Furthermore, some patients have even reported more neck mobility compared to before having the single-level fusion.1 This could be due to the fact that prior to having cervical fusion surgery, neck pain has already caused many patients to experience a reduction in active range of motion. If that pain is relieved by the surgery, much of the previously-lost range of motion can be regained.

Also, it should be noted that if a cervical fusion involves one of the top two cervical levels (where the base of the skull—called the occiput—connects to C1 and where C1 connects to C2 below), a significant loss of cervical range of motion will be noticed. Some estimates state that about one-third of the neck’s flexion/extension and half of rotation occurs at these top levels.2 However, it is rare for either of the top levels of the cervical spine to need a fusion.

Source to above quotes >>> https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/neck-mobility-after-single-level-cervical-fusion

Link to video depicting procedure >>> https://www.spine-health.com/video/anterior-cervical-discectomy-and-fusion-acdf-video
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:40 am
  • Jville wrote:
    What Happens During a Single-Level Cervical Fusion?

When a patient undergoes a single-level cervical fusion surgery, it is typically a two-part process:

Decompression. Surgeon removes the intervertebral disc between adjacent vertebrae, as well as any other structures that might be irritating a spinal nerve or the spinal cord, such as bony overgrowths (bone spurs).

See Bone Spurs (Osteophytes) and Back Pain
    Fusion. After the decompression part of the surgery, that spinal level needs to be stabilized. The surgeon instruments the two adjacent vertebrae and adds bone graft to promote bone growth and ultimately a solid fusion between the two vertebrae.

See Obtaining a Solid Spine Fusion

The surgery is termed an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, or ACDF for shor

How Single-Level Fusion Affects Overall Neck Mobility

After the period of 6 to 12 months following ACDF surgery, during which the fusion sets up, a single-level cervical fusion does not significantly affect a patient’s overall cervical range of motion. While motion is lost at the vertebral level that is fused, adjacent levels (one above and below) tend to gain mobility, which mitigates at least some of the loss from the single-level fusion.

See ACDF Surgery Postoperative Care

Furthermore, some patients have even reported more neck mobility compared to before having the single-level fusion.1 This could be due to the fact that prior to having cervical fusion surgery, neck pain has already caused many patients to experience a reduction in active range of motion. If that pain is relieved by the surgery, much of the previously-lost range of motion can be regained.

Also, it should be noted that if a cervical fusion involves one of the top two cervical levels (where the base of the skull—called the occiput—connects to C1 and where C1 connects to C2 below), a significant loss of cervical range of motion will be noticed. Some estimates state that about one-third of the neck’s flexion/extension and half of rotation occurs at these top levels.2 However, it is rare for either of the top levels of the cervical spine to need a fusion.

Source to above quotes >>> https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/neck-mobility-after-single-level-cervical-fusion

Link to video depicting procedure >>> https://www.spine-health.com/video/anterior-cervical-discectomy-and-fusion-acdf-video

Thats normal people not people running into 300 pound men and having missiles try to take their head off even if inadvertent.

I would hate to see the game he is carted off the field and there is no thumbs up.

Thanks Mr Carson you gave us everything, please take a bow and enjoy your life.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:44 am
  • chris98251 wrote:They have amazing technology now, but fusing or trying to puts some kind of spacer in the neck area to act as a disc? Not a good thing when you make a living headbutting 3 hundred pounders many times.

From Pete's description, rough spot on 1 of his vertebrae, it sounds like a bone spur that's irritating a nerve. Might not be too bad of a procedure if that's the case. The problem is potential nerve damage from cutting into that area
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information