Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russ and what the announcer said.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Russ and what the announcer said.
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:15 pm
  • The announcer said that Russ is not reading the defense.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4247
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:20 pm
  • Yea - i heard that -

    It was actually worse than that - the guy actually said (he's a former player - forget his name) - that this should 'concern' all seahawks fans.

    He was right.
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:24 pm
  • As I posted in a previous post, "Russ's head is not right".
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm
  • And then a few players later he said that Wilson read the defense and made the right throw.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5479
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:32 pm
  • Nonono... no concern. It's Pete. it's Waldron.

    Seriously though. He's absolutley right and you have to be blind to not understand that Russs play is really bad. But the announcer gave him a pass and said he was rusty... but that play is the same play he put on the field before the injury and last year.

    Its not just him, Kurt Warner can break down his game until the cows come home. And if you know anything at all about football, you can see tye same things he did on Kurts crit sessions play out every week.

    Kurts summary - the Seahawks won't win again until Russel improves - ie learns to read defenses.

    That's a checkmate type statement that took into account protection, the playcall, and the play design.

    There's literally nothing else to see. If you don't have a QB that can execute the plays, everything after is a crapshoot, unless you take the ball put of his hands.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 788
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 pm
    Location: Cockeysville, Md


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:39 pm
  • He was pretty awful as a color commentator making several observations that suggest he rarely ever watches the Seahawks play and this one wasn't too different.

    He was right, Russ was NOT reading the defense. The issue is that this isn't new and it wasn't due to him coming back from his finger injury like he suggested. He's been playing like that for a season and a half.

    When defenses didn't sit two safeties deep on him every play or when he's got Lockett out there playing school yard ball, he looks great. Otherwise, he throws into virtually the exact same double coverage every third or fourth pass attempt looking for his money play.
    DarkVictory23
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 114
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:53 pm
  • Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

    Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

    Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 19907
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:54 pm
  • DarkVictory23 wrote:He was pretty awful as a color commentator making several observations that suggest he rarely ever watches the Seahawks play and this one wasn't too different.

    He was right, Russ was NOT reading the defense. The issue is that this isn't new and it wasn't due to him coming back from his finger injury like he suggested. He's been playing like that for a season and a half.

    When defenses didn't sit two safeties deep on him every play or when he's got Lockett out there playing school yard ball, he looks great. Otherwise, he throws into virtually the exact same double coverage every third or fourth pass attempt looking for his money play.


    Agreed.
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:02 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

    Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

    Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.

    Russ has always been a “backyard” football player.

    He has never been great at reading and dissect the defense.

    That isn’t who he is and who he will ever be.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 2050
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:12 pm
    Location: Westcoastin’


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:04 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

    Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

    Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.

    Russ has always been a “backyard” football player.

    He has never been great at reading and dissect the defense.

    That isn’t who he is and who he will ever be.


    I agree, and that's why I think Russell's play will only continue to deteriorate as he ages and loses more and more escapability.

    If he hasn't at least become average to above average at reading defenses and making the correct protection and line checks by year 11? It's not happening.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 19907
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:22 pm
  • DarkVictory23 wrote:He was pretty awful as a color commentator making several observations that suggest he rarely ever watches the Seahawks play and this one wasn't too different.

    He was right, Russ was NOT reading the defense. The issue is that this isn't new and it wasn't due to him coming back from his finger injury like he suggested. He's been playing like that for a season and a half.

    When defenses didn't sit two safeties deep on him every play or when he's got Lockett out there playing school yard ball, he looks great. Otherwise, he throws into virtually the exact same double coverage every third or fourth pass attempt looking for his money play.



    Got to love it when people take 1 or 2 things and act like it happens all the time, too bad the facts show your wrong. IN fact, just this last game he read the defense well and changed plays made the right throws. The problem is he did miss some, and we had some drops. But to say he does not and has not is well false.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5479
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:31 pm
  • Vilma was right he was missing guys all over, no between the hash throws, John63 will fall on a sword say but but he throws short routes but doesn't have a clue about what are bail outs and what are productive ones, Wilsons inability to read and react quick cost two Touchdowns yesterday let alone time of possession and 1st downs.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37489
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:35 pm
  • Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

    Also, the play he said it, was the screen to dallas that he dropped. That is call russ isn't going to change. He is just going to run it. The fact that dallas dropped it is on dallas. That's all.

    Your guys fault for feeding into BS.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1004
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:43 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

    Also, the play he said it, was the screen to dallas that he dropped. That is call russ isn't going to change. He is just going to run it. The fact that dallas dropped it is on dallas. That's all.

    Your guys fault for feeding into BS.


    Yeah a guy who's job it was to call a defense as a MLB doesn't know what a QB is looking at.

    Need to lay off the Bong hits and Mixing Alcohol, not a good look for you.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37489
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:55 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

    Also, the play he said it, was the screen to dallas that he dropped. That is call russ isn't going to change. He is just going to run it. The fact that dallas dropped it is on dallas. That's all.

    Your guys fault for feeding into BS.


    Yeah a guy who's job it was to call a defense as a MLB doesn't know what a QB is looking at.

    Need to lay off the Bong hits and Mixing Alcohol, not a good look for you.


    Nope he didn't and that's why he isn't there anymore...

    Haven't smoked in 15 years, but you right. Coming from a guy with a dumb ass monkey as his avatar.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1004
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:59 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

    Also, the play he said it, was the screen to dallas that he dropped. That is call russ isn't going to change. He is just going to run it. The fact that dallas dropped it is on dallas. That's all.

    Your guys fault for feeding into BS.


    Yeah a guy who's job it was to call a defense as a MLB doesn't know what a QB is looking at.

    Need to lay off the Bong hits and Mixing Alcohol, not a good look for you.


    Nope he didn't and that's why he isn't there anymore...

    Haven't smoked in 15 years, but you right. Coming from a guy with a dumb ass monkey as his avatar.


    Actually he had injuries knees mostly.

    NFL AP Defensive Rookie of the Year
    2004 NFL All-Rookie Team
    2011 NFL Top 100 (#37)
    2012 NFL Top 100 (#58)

    Yep he was nothing.

    At least I can figure out how to have one
    Last edited by chris98251 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37489
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:04 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

    Also, the play he said it, was the screen to dallas that he dropped. That is call russ isn't going to change. He is just going to run it. The fact that dallas dropped it is on dallas. That's all.

    Your guys fault for feeding into BS.



    This^^^
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5479
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:55 pm
  • John63 wrote:And then a few players later he said that Wilson read the defense and made the right throw.



    Who? The same player who whispered to you? Russ is not right bro. Its ok to say rn.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4247
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:56 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

    Also, the play he said it, was the screen to dallas that he dropped. That is call russ isn't going to change. He is just going to run it. The fact that dallas dropped it is on dallas. That's all.

    Your guys fault for feeding into BS.


    Yeah a guy who's job it was to call a defense as a MLB doesn't know what a QB is looking at.

    Need to lay off the Bong hits and Mixing Alcohol, not a good look for you.


    Nope he didn't and that's why he isn't there anymore...

    Haven't smoked in 15 years, but you right. Coming from a guy with a dumb ass monkey as his avatar.


    Actually he had injuries knees mostly.

    NFL AP Defensive Rookie of the Year
    2004 NFL All-Rookie Team
    2011 NFL Top 100 (#37)
    2012 NFL Top 100 (#58)

    Yep he was nothing.

    At least I can figure out how to have one


    Haha. None those accolades for Vilma ever mattered.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1004
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:13 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.


    A QB has entered the chat...




    This is not just some one-off. Unless you just choose to not see it.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2003
    Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:41 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Yeah a guy who's job it was to call a defense as a MLB doesn't know what a QB is looking at.

    Need to lay off the Bong hits and Mixing Alcohol, not a good look for you.


    Nope he didn't and that's why he isn't there anymore...

    Haven't smoked in 15 years, but you right. Coming from a guy with a dumb ass monkey as his avatar.


    Actually he had injuries knees mostly.

    NFL AP Defensive Rookie of the Year
    2004 NFL All-Rookie Team
    2011 NFL Top 100 (#37)
    2012 NFL Top 100 (#58)

    Yep he was nothing.

    At least I can figure out how to have one


    Haha. None those accolades for Vilma ever mattered.


    Of course they don't, they do not support your narrative and that of just about every other person that covers the NFL, played the position or has as a defender studied offenses and know the routes and check downs.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37489
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:48 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.


    A QB has entered the chat...




    This is not just some one-off. Unless you just choose to not see it.



    seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking or never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

    AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.

    Holmgren was just ono 710 earlier explaining how part of the problem is receivers not doing what they are supposed to do, like breaking in when they should break out, etc. To me, the problem with the offense is not just one thing it's all things they are not clicking. Wilson is part of that. The issue for me is his history of steller play buys him a few games. I mean if OPC can get a pass because he got us an SB 7 years ago Wilson should get a pass for a few bad games that all QBs have a season.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5479
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:55 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.


    A QB has entered the chat...




    This is not just some one-off. Unless you just choose to not see it.



    seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

    AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.


    And decreasing every year now
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37489
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:09 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

    Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

    Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.

    Russ has always been a “backyard” football player.

    He has never been great at reading and dissect the defense.

    That isn’t who he is and who he will ever be.


    I agree, and that's why I think Russell's play will only continue to deteriorate as he ages and loses more and more escapability.

    If he hasn't at least become average to above average at reading defenses and making the correct protection and line checks by year 11? It's not happening.



    Completely agree.
    Wilson is all about improv. Teams have figured this out.
    We all hoped and wished for Wilson to actually go through his progressions and make the right decision. Instead, he's always been a one read and run quarterback. Relying on the play breaking down to make the defense pay. That ship has sailed.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4315
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:37 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.


    A QB has entered the chat...




    This is not just some one-off. Unless you just choose to not see it.



    seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

    AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.


    And decreasing every year now


    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 949
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:26 pm
    Location: Newberg, Oregon


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:44 pm
  • JGreen79 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    A QB has entered the chat...




    This is not just some one-off. Unless you just choose to not see it.



    seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

    AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.


    And decreasing every year now


    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)


    You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5479
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:50 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

    Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

    Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.

    Russ has always been a “backyard” football player.

    He has never been great at reading and dissect the defense.

    That isn’t who he is and who he will ever be.


    I agree, and that's why I think Russell's play will only continue to deteriorate as he ages and loses more and more escapability.

    If he hasn't at least become average to above average at reading defenses and making the correct protection and line checks by year 11? It's not happening.



    If I am going to be critical of Pete Carroll it's going to be because he is allowing these issues to happen with Russ. I think Russ needs Mike Holmgren tough love scenario. That's not Pete... I don't know how its going to play out but it's clear listening to Pete that he thinks It's a rust issue... I can't say exactly what it is because it's over my pay grade and I'm NOT going to pretend that I have all the answers because I don't... I just know there is an issue with Russ NO CLUE how to solve it...but what we saw last night was the same old same old stuff its got to change!


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:10 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    JGreen79 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

    seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

    AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.


    And decreasing every year now


    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)


    You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.


    You don't like it because it currently isn't a favorable stat for RW
    BamKam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 495
    Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:50 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:13 pm
  • BamKam wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    JGreen79 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    And decreasing every year now


    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)


    You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.


    You don't like it because it currently isn't a favorable stat for RW


    I guess you missed this part "even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective." as usually only reading what u want to. Or how last game I said his passer rating for that game was bad.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5479
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:21 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.


    A QB has entered the chat...




    This is not just some one-off. Unless you just choose to not see it.

    That's so hard to watch. The guy is just a bad QB IN system. Way below average
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 845
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:27 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    JGreen79 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

    seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

    AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.


    And decreasing every year now


    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)


    You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.

    Do you like EPA per drop back? In the season's worth of games, so basically since about week 8 last season, he's 28th out of 36 qualifying QBs in one place and 21st from another outlet.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 845
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:09 pm
  • keasley45 wrote:Nonono... no concern. It's Pete. it's Waldron.

    Seriously though. He's absolutley right and you have to be blind to not understand that Russs play is really bad. But the announcer gave him a pass and said he was rusty... but that play is the same play he put on the field before the injury and last year.

    Its not just him, Kurt Warner can break down his game until the cows come home. And if you know anything at all about football, you can see tye same things he did on Kurts crit sessions play out every week.

    Kurts summary - the Seahawks won't win again until Russel improves - ie learns to read defenses.

    That's a checkmate type statement that took into account protection, the playcall, and the play design.

    There's literally nothing else to see. If you don't have a QB that can execute the plays, everything after is a crapshoot, unless you take the ball put of his hands.



    Kurt is 100 percent correct. Wilson is a backyard QB. This guy drops back 50 fricking yards and chucks it up and hope someone catches it. Wilson will never ever be a genuine west coast QB ever.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 729
    Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 pm
    Location: Seattle, Washington


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:27 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    JGreen79 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

    seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

    AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.


    And decreasing every year now


    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)


    You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.


    A QB can only throw to receivers with a 10 yard separation, and fall down and take a sack if they don't and still have an all-time great passer rating. There is so much more a QB has to be able to do in the league to be good, it really has made the passer rating nearly obsolete.

    QBR while still not great, but is by far a better gauge of how good a QB is.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 949
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:26 pm
    Location: Newberg, Oregon


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:20 pm
  • JGreen79 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    JGreen79 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    And decreasing every year now


    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)


    You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.


    A QB can only throw to receivers with a 10 yard separation, and fall down and take a sack if they don't and still have an all-time great passer rating. There is so much more a QB has to be able to do in the league to be good, it really has made the passer rating nearly obsolete.

    QBR while still not great, but is by far a better gauge of how good a QB is.



    Again disagree it is subjective. Allows human error and bias. But u can use what u want. Fyi before the injury his QBr was right up there like like always is.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5479
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:55 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

    Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

    Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.

    Russ has always been a “backyard” football player.

    He has never been great at reading and dissect the defense.

    That isn’t who he is and who he will ever be.

    This kinda plays into Pete's style of coaching and what he looks for in players. For Pete's systems and schemes to work he needs players with tremendous talent. When LOB was at its peak we had players at defensive skill positions that were some of the best in the league. It was talent vs talent and 9/10 Seahawk talent won out. However when the talent dried up, retired, or went elsewhere, Pete kept the system but didn't have the talent and we see the results of that.

    It goes without saying that Russell is very, very talented and he's relaying on those raw skills to get by it seems rather than Pete, or him, break things down with the X's and O's.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1272
    Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 am
    Location: Bremerton, WA


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:34 am
  • kurt warner hasn't had an once of russell wilson's success.

    it says more about kurt warner that a quarterback who isn't as quote unquote smart as him, has been more successful.
    Tinamedina
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 122
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:49 am
  • Tinamedina wrote:kurt warner hasn't had an once of russell wilson's success.

    it says more about kurt warner that a quarterback who isn't as quote unquote smart as him, has been more successful.


    What?

    2 time MVP, Superbowl champion, Superbowl MVP, one of 4 players in NFL history to QB 2 different teams in the Superbowl Kurt Warner (two of them - Brady & Manning - did it after him too)?

    By what measure has Wilson been more successful other than the ones that most people consider that matter?
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3647
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:13 am
  • Tinamedina wrote:kurt warner hasn't had an once of russell wilson's success.

    it says more about kurt warner that a quarterback who isn't as quote unquote smart as him, has been more successful.


    Do you actually know who Kurt Warner is ?
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5618
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:47 am
  • xray wrote:
    Tinamedina wrote:kurt warner hasn't had an once of russell wilson's success.

    it says more about kurt warner that a quarterback who isn't as quote unquote smart as him, has been more successful.


    Do you actually know who Kurt Warner is ?


    He is a Seahawks Hater, but he is right in this, take him with a grain of salt many times.

    He could have bagged my Grocery's I guess, Tina if she doesn't know who he is/was watch the Movie about him that is coming out I think this weekend....................
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37489
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:04 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:The announcer said that Russ is not reading the defense.


    That's one thing I quickly noticed about Geno was he seemed much better at reading the D and changing plays than Russ is. That doesn't mean I'm saying he's anywhere close to Russ in overall skill.
    If you watch guys like brady or rodgers you can tell they can see everything before the play snaps most of the time, Wilson doesn't seem to have that skill.

    I'm starting to wonder if he's stubborn and not teachable, like he's uninterested in learning a new system and just does what's worked for him in the past. It would explain why the first game the plays looked creative and ever since then its been the same old vanilla crap.

    I'm worried he's just taken too many hits over the years, he gets that glossed over look to his eyes and that's when the bad Russ appears. I don't want him to go anywhere, I want to see him win more subpar blows with Seattle and go into the hall of fame as one of the best qb's of all time but I am worried about some things I've seen.
    Msfann
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2104
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:37 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 am
  • Msfann wrote:
    That's one thing I quickly noticed about Geno was he seemed much better at reading the D and changing plays than Russ is.


    Idk if Geno's better at reading the D, I think he's better at just going with whatever the playcall is, and getting the ball out quickly on time.

    That's really what's going on here. What percentage of time would you say Russell gets the ball out on time to the correct receiver? 20%? 30%?

    I don't know the answer, but it's sure not very often. He looks and then holds onto the ball trying to buy more time to take shots downfield. So either he doesn't think the primary receiver is open, or he can't see his progressions.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 19907
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 am
  • John63 wrote:
    BamKam wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    JGreen79 wrote:
    As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

    He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

    That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)


    You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.


    You don't like it because it currently isn't a favorable stat for RW


    I guess you missed this part "even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective." as usually only reading what u want to. Or how last game I said his passer rating for that game was bad.


    Lol. Oh ok that completely validates everything you said. Haha.
    BamKam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 495
    Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:50 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:15 pm
  • Tinamedina wrote:kurt warner hasn't had an once of russell wilson's success.

    it says more about kurt warner that a quarterback who isn't as quote unquote smart as him, has been more successful.


    Kurt Warner is this guy wearing the gold jacket.

    Image

    If he's saying Russ needs to learn to take the "lay-ups" instead of the threes from half-court, I would tend to agree.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2003
    Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm


Re: Russ and what the announcer said.
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:23 pm
  • Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3518
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray




It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online