Pete Carroll covering up and taking the blame for Russ

seabowl

Reaction score
During these unprecedented times, Pete Carroll is doing what many coaches do in these circumstances by covering up for his players issues when speaking to the media.The fact is he and many witnessing what is happening know that Russ right now is the main issue. It’s interesting because for a number of years it was the opposite where Russ was covering up (by his incredible play on the field) for poor coaching and an insufficient offensive line.

Whatever the case, Pete is protecting Russ as he should but I know it’s eating at him.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":1x525sk2 said:
During these unprecedented times, Pete Carroll is doing what many coaches do in these circumstances by covering up for his players issues when speaking to the media.The fact is he and many witnessing what is happening know that Russ right now is the main issue. It’s interesting because for a number of years it was the opposite where Russ was covering up (by his incredible play on the field) for poor coaching and an insufficient offensive line.

Whatever the case, Pete is protecting Russ as he should but I know it’s eating at him.

Proof? I will wait

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
John63":3ryds611 said:
seabowl":3ryds611 said:

Proof? I will wait

Listen to his press conference. Pete saying it’s on him.

Russ is missing wide open looks and throwing into constant double covers. Pete and the rest know Russ isn’t right especially mentally right now.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":3ke2uk73 said:
John63":3ke2uk73 said:
seabowl":3ke2uk73 said:

Proof? I will wait

Russ is missing wide open looks and throwing into constant double covers. Pete and the rest know Russ isn’t right especially mentally right now.

That's not proof that is your opinion of why he is saying that. Wilson also took responsibility. In my opinion PC is saying that because he knows he PC is the biggest problem. But that is my opinion

toffee

Reaction score
seabowl":1qvxypv5 said:

Pete is right to take the blame, he didn't have the balls to pull Russ or sit Russ. Yes, it's on Pete

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
John63":f6b4y9l4 said:
seabowl":f6b4y9l4 said:
John63":f6b4y9l4 said:
seabowl":f6b4y9l4 said:

Proof? I will wait

That's not proof that is your opinion of why he is saying that. Wilson also took responsibility. In my opinion PC is saying that because he knows he PC is the biggest problem. But that is my opinion

What in the world are you talking about? It has nothing to do with opinion. Pete is saying he (himself) has to do better.

That is fact. Russ has struggled mightily much of the year.

That is fact.

Russ has been in the league 10 years and is paid as an elite qb so he needs to do better.

FACT

Pete is covering for his highly compensated qb who is struggling. Not opinion.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The reason to get rid of Pete is to see if someone else can win with Wilson and do a better job of it.

If Wilson isn't good and won't be for a while - which looks to be the case, not sure the case for getting rid of Pete.

The sad thing is with the falloff of Wilson, the best player on our team is now Metcalf.

And Metcalf is basically a home run hitter with a terrible batting average.

balakoth

Reaction score
RW has not .... OWNED UP to anything.. I love Wilson just clealry not as much as John

He admits to ..CLEAR mistakes.. but ignores the average crap he cannot cover up and does not admit to.

Missing open routes while staring down other receivers, audible out of basic plays on basic downs into things completely unworkable (this week and last). Not being able to adjust to defensive scheme.

Everyone talks about short to deep passes, yet never takes into account the constant sacks, or bootlegs because of seeking long shots constantly only to have to dump it off to a safety blanket.

Ignoring these issues is just... asinine ... no matter how much you like the guy.

Literally everyone but you at this point sees the problems.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2q7hwbrn said:
The reason to get rid of Pete is to see if someone else can win with Wilson and do a better job of it.

If Wilson isn't good and won't be for a while - which looks to be the case, not sure the case for getting rid of Pete.

The sad thing is with the falloff of Wilson, the best player on our team is now Metcalf.

Well I would argue the best player after Wilson is Lockett. That said still think Wilson will be okay. Its his 2nd game back after missing over a month, and played better today than last week.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":3fm8ya7h said:
TwistedHusky":3fm8ya7h said:

Well I would argue the best player after Wilson is Lockett. That said still think Wilson will be okay. Its his 2nd game back after missing over a month, and played better today than last week.

And how long has McCoy been warming a bench to come in and dissect our defense and play well, Wilson was also out every day shadow playing and doing reps, he was also involved in pre game, meetings, film study.

In fact you had a big post about how fantastic it was he was doing all these things.

So Rust? BULLSHIT. He had 4 quarters last week to knock that off failing there also for about the same reasons.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Love Russ but he is playing like crap. I'm sure he's aware of it.

pinksheets

Reaction score
He has coddled Russ his whole career. I think it has been to Russ's detriment, as his defects have really never been addressed. It's also something the LoB seemed to dislike in those last seasons.

Pete does what a good leader does and take responsibility publicly, but I don't see any indication he demands accountability from Russ, in any significant way, behind closed doors. Or Russ is so in his own bubble he's unreachable, which doesn't seem impossible or even mutually exclusive from the rest of it.

Seymour

Reaction score
John63":3a3loxlg said:
TwistedHusky":3a3loxlg said:

Right now, today?.....Russ is not our best player IMO. After 3 more drops, it's not DK. Hell. I'd have a hard time picking one....guess Wagner wins by default. Something is up with Russ, and it's not his finger. Last I checked, that's not connected to his head. Watching the game with my GF today she even commented that he looks defeated and she is spot on there.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Seymour":imrbfvhq said:
John63":imrbfvhq said:
TwistedHusky":imrbfvhq said:

Right now, today?.....Russ is not our best player IMO. After 3 more drops, it's not DK. Hell. I'd have a hard time picking one....guess Wagner wins by default. Something is up with Russ, and it's not his finger. Last I checked, that's not connected to his head. Watching the game with my GF today she even commented that he looks defeated and she is spot on there.
It's the zombie glazed look from last season. Looks like a kid who's parents took his favorite new toy away and he's reluctantly playing with the old toys.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
seabowl":3hlzbz9e said:
John63":3hlzbz9e said:
seabowl":3hlzbz9e said:
John63":3hlzbz9e said:
Proof? I will wait

What in the world are you talking about? It has nothing to do with opinion. Pete is saying he (himself) has to do better.

That is fact. Russ has struggled mightily much of the year.

That is fact.

Russ has been in the league 10 years and is paid as an elite qb so he needs to do better.

FACT

Pete is covering for his highly compensated qb who is struggling. Not opinion.

I guess the real Question is who hires the coaches whomever that is needs to go I think we're all tired of the same excuses we hear every year. This year is a little different we stink on both sides of the ball early on.

Cut Pete loose start out fresh it would be more exciting.

evergreen

Reaction score
Pete cares about people more than winning. It’s part of his program. It usually pays off in deep loyalty from players and coaches. Of course it hurts when they aren’t up to the task. Russ isn’t the same anymore. If you watch the games you must notice the drop off it didn’t just start. I’d say last year’s start was the aboration. So Pete takes the heat. Russ is a hollow shell of his former greatness. How could anyone not see it? You really think Pete tells him to not hit open receivers??! We got nine years from him. Be happy. Now sit his ass before we lose more trade value. And yes I am totally ready to face the future without him . I know there are stats that make him look good. But do they make the video look good? Cuz what I see isn’t looking good and hasn’t since the colts or three beginning of last year. Yes he was awesome. Absolutely. HOG material for sure. But this year or the 2nd half of last year? No. You can do a log with $35,000,000 to help a team please sit him and play Geno. We could still get some I. And players for him but if he keeps stinking it up, what then?

AgentDib

Reaction score
John63":1dqlgen1 said:
In my opinion PC is saying that because he knows he PC is the biggest problem. But that is my opinion
In my opinion it's a mistake to frame this as Russ vs. Pete. I know you are trying to protect Russ, but Pete has a history of doing that longer than you do, and has erred on that side if anything over the years. Wherever the blame lies, Schotty drew up routes in the middle of the field last season that Russ wasn't comfortable hitting. Pete protected Russ on that issue by replacing the OC.

Right now, the debate you should be considering is Waldron vs. Russ vs. OL. You're not going to convince anybody that we're watching 'Peteball' when Pete hired an OC to attack the middle of the field and now we are erring on the side of passing too much and yet also not hitting those shorter routes quickly enough.

If you listened to Lockett's press conference then you heard him say the problem was them trying to work out how to respond to the Cardinals adjustments. If you saw the sidelines during the game then you saw Russ, Shane, and Andy trying to work that out together on their Surfaces(TM) while Pete was busy trying to coach the defense.

Pete bears responsibility for the OL quality, and the quality of offensive coaching after making the off-season change, and even how Russ plays after deciding to make him the highest paid player in the NFL. However, the narrative about him meddling with the play calls itself makes posters sound like they haven't watched a single thing in 2021.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
AgentDib":b65k58y7 said:
John63":b65k58y7 said:
In my opinion PC is saying that because he knows he PC is the biggest problem. But that is my opinion
In my opinion it's a mistake to frame this as Russ vs. Pete. I know you are trying to protect Russ, but Pete has a history of doing that longer than you do, and has erred on that side if anything over the years. Wherever the blame lies, Schotty drew up routes in the middle of the field last season that Russ wasn't comfortable hitting. Pete protected Russ on that issue by replacing the OC.

Right now, the debate you should be considering is Waldron vs. Russ vs. OL. You're not going to convince anybody that we're watching 'Peteball' when Pete hired an OC to attack the middle of the field and now we are erring on the side of passing too much and yet also not hitting those shorter routes quickly enough.

If you listened to Lockett's press conference then you heard him say the problem was them trying to work out how to respond to the Cardinals adjustments. If you saw the sidelines during the game then you saw Russ, Shane, and Andy trying to work that out together on their Surfaces(TM) while Pete was busy trying to coach the defense.

Pete bears responsibility for the OL quality, and the quality of offensive coaching after making the off-season change, and even how Russ plays after deciding to make him the highest paid player in the NFL. However, the narrative about him meddling with the play calls itself makes posters sound like they haven't watched a single thing in 2021.
That narrative is tiresome.
The other bailout excuse is the o-line is bad. Almost nobody has a 'good' o-line. This line is serviceable. Its right in line with everyone else's, in the middle of the pack. If we committed to run the ball I expect it would look much better as well.

John63

Reaction score
Seymour":18n3wit7 said:
John63":18n3wit7 said:
TwistedHusky":18n3wit7 said:

Yeah sorry missed type.i meant our best player with Wilson still not 100% is Lockett.