Geno Smith averaged 20.3 points a game Russell 6.5...

Tokadub

Reaction score
Russell averaged 6.5 points per game since his return.

I don't have much more to say other than WTF?

I've always been a Wilson supporter but this is really bad.

Admittedly DK dropped at least 2 passes (kinda hard ones), Dissly dropped an easy catch, and someone else did was it DJ Dallas? I can't remember.

DK really needs to make those catches though. It's hitting him right in the chest with his 2 hands unable to haul it in... those passes did look difficult for a mortal man after fighting off defenders but you would expect a top WR in the NFL to succeed in these types of scenarios more than half the time.

The Cardinals on the other hand were catching all kinds of bad throws... Wilson was hitting Metcalf in the chest and he loses it... disappointing game from Metcalf although why do we have to use him so much for hail marys?

Why can't we just throw high percentage plays to a physical freak BEFORE he is double covered???

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm willing to give Russ a chance to play his way out of this but right now i'm leaning towards firing Pete and trading Wilson. Wilson really needs to show me something in these last 7 games right now he's not remotely worth the 35 million he's getting paid.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Small sample sizes. Yes, Russ has been ass lately, but there is a reason Geno is a career backup.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Geno of course is NOT the answer. What we're seeing from Russell has been there from day 1. This is who he is. It was just hard to diagnose in the earlier versions of the offense. I don't blame them for going that direction. You kind of had to see if it would take with Russell running the show, but we've had a big enough sample size the last few years to see it won't work. This game today is what Russell has looked like for almost every playoff game since '15. It's easy to dismiss it as a bad day or poor coaching when it only happens a few times a year, but it's now more the norm than not over the last 26 games minus Geno's starts.

A supposed HOF QB doesn't have stretches that long of frankly incompetent play due to coaching. Certainly not through 2 OCs. A HOF QB doesn't play like a bottom half of the league QB for a bunch of games in a season. Maybe 1 or 2 games when everything is just off, but not more than that and not for half a season +. All of that evidence leaves only one conclusion, that QB is severely, limited against good nfl competition at best or fatally flawed at worst.

I know it's only conjecture at this point, but until I see Russell show me otherwise on another team or with another coach, that's what I see when I watch him play.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":pf9o206t said:
I'm willing to give Russ a chance to play his way out of this but right now i'm leaning towards firing Pete and trading Wilson. Wilson really needs to show me something in these last 7 games right now he's not remotely worth the 35 million he's getting paid.

Colt McCoy today, and Jimmy G vs the Rams both looked WAYYY better than Wilson has AT ANY POINT OF THIS SEASON.

Jimmy G In particular vs the Rams he was getting rid of the ball so fast, it looked like the Rams had a really nice pass rush on him almost every play but they designed the plays so he could just throw right through it (it was the first time Jimmy G ever impressed me).

We have seen NOTHING even close to what Jimmy G did vs the Rams from Wilson all season long. Sad but true.

If you asked me last season who is the better QB I would have said 99/100 times Wilson is way better than Jimmy G. This season it's debatable...

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Tokadub":pxqfpxlp said:
Northwest Seahawk":pxqfpxlp said:

Colt McCoy today, and Jimmy G vs the Rams both looked WAYYY better than Wilson has AT ANY POINT OF THIS SEASON.

Jimmy G In particular vs the Rams he was getting rid of the ball so fast, it looked like the Rams had a really nice pass rush on him almost every play but they designed the plays so he could just throw right through it (it was the first time Jimmy G ever impressed me).

We have seen NOTHING even close to what Jimmy G did vs the Rams from Wilson all season long. Sad but true.

If you asked me last season who is the better QB I would have said 99/100 times Wilson is way better than Jimmy G. This season it's debatable...
Jimmy Gs problem is he's the exact polar opposite of Russell. He only throws between the hashes and won't push the ball down the field at any cost like Alex Smith. He's horrible outside the hashes. You'd actually have a hell of a signal caller if you combined the he and Russell. They each lack what the other has

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Here came the Russ haters. One day Russ will be gone, and they'll be happy, although left with a decade full of terrible. You think this Is bad? You ain't seen nuthin'. But stick around. It will happen eventually, You'll get your wish...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Russ may be in a funk, I think we all agree there but if any of you think it's going to be rosy without him, good luck with that! He is a once in a lifetime QB who will be enshrined in Canton one day. Let's see how long it takes to get another QB even CLOSE to the player he was.

:snack:

John63

Reaction score
Tusc2000":smlqpt0x said:
Here came the Russ haters. One day Russ will be gone, and they'll be happy, although left with a decade full of terrible. You think this Is bad? You ain't seen nuthin'. But stick around. It will happen eventually, You'll get your wish...

This^^^^

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":3gog8m8v said:
Tusc2000":3gog8m8v said:

This^^^^

It's funny how the Russ lovers never respond to factual tape or actual criticism of xs and os (unless to say that the xs and os have been manipulated to tell a certain story) and instead March on with baseless, disproven, conspiracy theories. Not one single solitary peep about the video critique of Kurt Warner where a HOF Qb says all ofnthe same things Tiqal and others here have in assessing Wilson. Kurt went so far as to say that we won't win again until Russ solves his issues. But I suppose that's just opinion too.

If Russ is gone and we have to go through a bridge QB until we get to the next franchise guy, so be it.
Russ's issues are plain to see but for everyone but the blind. And he will take his issues with him wherever he goes.

But if it's bridge QB until we get some reliable, predictable play from that position again, so be it. What's on the field now and has been in terms of QB play for 12 months now isn't sustainable. It's not his finger. It's garbage and not even diagnosable anymore because the qb play and play selection have now created a self perpetuating house of horrors.

Funny, a lot of Patriots fans were spinning up the same BS about their coach just being a product of their QB. Yet, here they are again, at the top of the division after one down year.

Rip the bandaid off. This experiment is done. Bring on whatevers next. And you all who love Mr Wilson so much can continue his myth on the forums of whatever team he lands on next.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Aros":lvhms5vp said:
Russ may be in a funk, I think we all agree there but if any of you think it's going to be rosy without him, good luck with that! He is a once in a lifetime QB who will be enshrined in Canton one day. Let's see how long it takes to get another QB even CLOSE to the player he was.

:snack:

I mean we could end up in QB purgatory like the Bears for the next 20 years, or we could get lucky and land the next franchise QB like the Patriots did with their 15th pick. And like the Patriots, build a balanced offense around your QB, and a dominate defense.

What does it take to get a top 15 pick? Losing seasons. Or maybe the GM could trade UP for once instead of trading down. That high second round pick is looking better by the day.

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Tokadub....seriously, I find your posts greatly entertaining. I might disagree with your thoughts, but I definitely look forward to your entries. And, have to admit, I also enjoy reading others responses indicating one shouldn't post when high...LOL.

I'll give my take even though no one cares: I'm in the camp that thinks it is just tough for Russ to see over the line. Not his fault...that's what he was born with. But there ARE plays or methods that allow a shorter QB to see lanes, etc. I don't think we are constructing plays to not only work to Russ's strengths, but also mitigate his weaknesses.

One of the most successful type of plays we used to have Russ run was a rollout. Rollouts help with visibility of the field so he can see the open receivers. If he can see, Russ has been deadly effective.

Granted he is not a young buck anymore, but the threat of running when in trouble used to force defenses to put a spy on him. I don't recall seeing any specific special treatment for Russ anymore for this since we have gone so much to pocket passing. The unpredictability of Russ was his and our strength.

So though he is struggling (like the rest of the team), I am one of those who think it is indeed a bit of rust. And I think the majority of the offensive problems, especially with the pass, is not designing plays with Russ's stature in mind. I think we can do it, we just haven't.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson does not have to rush the football, just maintain elusiveness, you don't need speed just agility for that which he has not lost.

BamKam

Reaction score
Tusc2000":td8hio2n said:

Just because someone thinks Russ should be traded doesn't mean that is "hating". Russ has been great, best QB in franchise history, doesn't mean he isn't part of the problem right now with THIS roster. He also isn't 27 he will be turning 34 next season. If you are going to rebuild you typically don't do that with a 35+ year old QB.