Meh. One Of Those Seasons

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I am going through some sort of existential crisis in my life. Maybe I am just old enough to have perspective of the ebb and flow of my favorite team being good and then not very good.

Whatever it is, I just refuse to get too worked up about it. This season stinks. 3-7. We can all agree there. Playoffs are laughable at this stage. So I guess we relax, watch the remainder of the games without the emotional toil, and see how next year pans out.

Almost every team has a clunker season. Apparently it's our turn. Suck it up buttercups. Chin high. Hopefully next year is the elixer.

stang233

Reaction score
Although we have no future either. No picks, old coaching and and ours studs are past their prime. There is no young talent on this team to be excited about. Bad drafting over and over again

Reaction score
I felt the same. Any time something didn't go our way (there was no shortage of that), I felt nothing. Pretty much the same way I used to feel watching a game in the 90s or late 2000s.

Problem is I don't see next year being much better at this point. The team is broken in so many ways that it'll probably take a few years to be relevant again.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Aros":2rhrzd9r said:
Maybe it's because I am going through some sort of existential crisis in my life. Maybe I am just old enough to have perspective of the ebb and flow of my favorite team being good and then not very good.

Whatever it is, I just refuse to get too worked up about it. This season stinks. 3-7. We can all agree there. Playoffs are laughable at this stage. So I guess we relax, watch the remainder of the games without the emotional toil, and see how next year pans out.

Almost every team has a clunker season. Apparently it's our turn. Suck it up buttercups. Chin high. Hopefully next year is the elixer.
For some reason I've been enjoying the season in that frame of mind from day 1. I think the offseason nonsense removed any expectations or rather carried with it expectations of something similar to what we've seen so far. It is a welcomed break from a runaway heart rate every Sunday though. That is something

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I guess if there is a silver lining, losing doesnt hurt anymore. Its the new norm.

PNW

Reaction score
Fortunately I’ve been watching since the Rams game with this mindset, the Hawks games are more like noise in the background, my Sunday’s are too precious to waste all stressed out.

xray

Reaction score
As an old timer fan, this reminds me of times decades ago when I didn't expect the Hawks to compete for championships . It was more fun to be a fan then . When they would upset a better team or when they would put Elway flat on his back looking out his ear hole . I don't remember being obsessed about standings as much back then . The pressure is off this season . Maybe the Hawks can play spoiler the rest of the season . That would be fun . IMO

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aros":1dazzsm4 said:

It's more than just "one of those seasons". At least to this point, it's one of the worst seasons in franchise history.

If you eliminate the expansion years, ie the Jack Patera era, our winning percentage of .300 after 10 games is worse than all other Seahawk teams except two: Our 1992 squad that went 2-14 (.125) and our 2008 team, Holmgren's last season, that finished with a 4-12 mark, or a .25 winning percentage. What's even more sobering is that we are on track to exceed that miserable Mora year which ended with a 5-11 record.

So yeah, it's "one of those seasons" alright. Third worst in 40 years.

Tokadub

Reaction score
RiverDog":ozirz6us said:
It's more than just "one of those seasons"

I agree, this is WAYYYY more than "one of those seasons".

We just traded 2 first round picks + a 4th round pick for Jamal Adams (+ Mcdougal).

We have NO FIRST ROUND PICK NEXT DRAFT. We also owe Jamal Adams over $28,000,000 in dead money STARTING NEXT SEASON???????????????????????????????????????

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

The dead money with Wilson is I think 26 million this off season? So that would explain why we didn't spend any money we will STILL OWE $13 million if we cut him (including our saving 13 million).

We are stuck with a defense that allows practically the worst in the league in yards allowed this season. We are paying Jamal Adams as if our defense wasn't bottom 1-3 in yards allowed... (+ draft picks + dead money)...

IT is REALLY hard to justify ANYTHING this team has done since the Jamal Adams trade, they are total garbage in every way in my opinion.

BUT NOW WE HAVE A YEAR WHERE WE GAVE UP EVERYTHING FOR JAMAL ADAMS BUT YET WE ARE SITTING ON $13,000,000 + OVER $10,000,000 (IF WE RESTRUCTURED WILSON'S CONTRACT)...

THE FACT WE WENT ALL IN ON JAMAL ADAMS AND WE HAD A CHANGE OF HEART... GAME OVER MAN.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The only thing I'm nervous and worked up about now is our ownership.

We know better than any fanbase that if you have a bad owner, you'll never turn things around. I'm not saying Jody Allen's a bad owner, but she is an silent absentee owner.

She's not at games, she's not on the sidelines, she's not taking interviews and easing our minds as fans that she's 100% fully engaged in doing whatever it takes to win like Paul was.

That's the concerning part of this equation for me, not that we suck now and the wheels are coming off. It's that we literally have no idea if we have the ownership in place to fix it. That's a scary prospect.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
stang233":xuga2zez said:
Although we have no future either. No picks, old coaching and and ours studs are past their prime. There is no young talent on this team to be excited about. Bad drafting over and over again

The future is a long time. Its always darkest before the dawn. It will eventually get better. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Aros":xwajwsrj said:

Just not our season, is it? Regardless, had a great time at the game with you yesterday. We managed to gulp down a pretty impressive amount of wine. Close to three bottles in total. My head feels every bit of it today. hahaha

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Aros":10coir5n said:

Long time lurker.
Don't post much as it is much more fun reading the different perspectives on things we commonly watch or hear.
But I had to comment on this post because I can really appreciate the OP's point of view. Kudos to you Aros.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I mean you're right in the sense...what the hell can any of us fans really do about how this team is coached/managed/executed. Other than no longer attending games, watching the games, buying merch which effect the bottomline and is the biggest voice to an ownership once the bottomline is effected.

That being said fan stands for fanatic. Fanatic - "a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause." or in this case a sports team. You're telling fans/fanatics of this sports team to not be so excessive with zeal over this team, especially fans that are so fanatic...that we opt to read/write on a dying medium that is a sports forum dedicated to this single team.

Your mindset is definitely healthy, but it's not going to be found among the majority of the posters here (posters not lurkers) as that now is the mindset of a more casual/healthy fan?

That being said the way this team continues, I am headed that direction myself. If Pete AND RW stay next year (which will lead to more of the same) and if Pete stays (which isn't too far off). I think I'm swapping to casual fan like a lot of my college friends and coworkers. I'm going to view the Seahawks the way I've viewed the Mariners for the last 2 decades. Oh it's a product I can go take the family to once a year, I'll check the score once in a while, but I'm not invested.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2azqg9ay said:
Just not our season, is it? Regardless, had a great time at the game with you yesterday. We managed to gulp down a pretty impressive amount of wine. Close to three bottles in total. My head feels every bit of it today. hahaha

Only three bottles? I am slipping in my old age!! LOL!! Man Grant you made my day. I had a blast. You make for great company, thank you for accompanying me to the game. Even though it was a sh*t show on the field, we didn't mind. Wine does wonders, haha! We will have to do it again if not this season, next. Cheers!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Mjolnir":1zu1afsv said:
Long time lurker. Don't post much as it is much more fun reading the different perspectives on things we commonly watch or hear. But I had to comment on this post because I can really appreciate the OP's point of view. Kudos to you Aros.

Thank you Mjolnir! Don't be a stranger! Post more! :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Aros":39iv79sb said:
SmokinHawk":39iv79sb said:

Only three bottles? I am slipping in my old age!! LOL!! Man Grant you made my day. I had a blast. You make for great company, thank you for accompanying me to the game. Even though it was a sh*t show on the field, we didn't mind. Wine does wonders, haha! We will have to do it again if not this season, next. Cheers!

Anytime!

It's funny, I only vaguely remember the walk from Temple to the gate as I was three sheets to the wind. Drunken autopilot, for the win.

Maybe next time they'll get that W.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
stang233":3ipuu3x4 said:

I keep seeing people say this - "no picks". Not true.

In the 2022 draft, we have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th. Not to mention potential compensatory picks. 2022 is also the last draft with the Jamal Adams landslide hanging over us, too.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16907b6n said:
The only thing I'm nervous and worked up about now is our ownership.

We know better than any fanbase that if you have a bad owner, you'll never turn things around. I'm not saying Jody Allen's a bad owner, but she is an silent absentee owner.

She's not at games, she's not on the sidelines, she's not taking interviews and easing our minds as fans that she's 100% fully engaged in doing whatever it takes to win like Paul was.

That's the concerning part of this equation for me, not that we suck now and the wheels are coming off. It's that we literally have no idea if we have the ownership in place to fix it. That's a scary prospect.

Actually a lot of that isn't true.

She definitely comes to games. Paul didn't hang around on the sidelines, either. There is an owner's suite and at home games that's where she'd be. She's attended several away games in the last 18 months as well.

Paul was involved in some great things and I have massive respect for the man, but honestly, as a owner, he did the best possible things -- he got some good football people, and he let them run the organization. When he made a mistake (Jim Mora) he acted quickly to rectify it. He was never a Jerry Jones or a Dan Snyder thankfully.

Jody is smart -- Paul thought Jody was smarter than him, which is kind of funny to think about, but it's a good realization, as a fan. Also good to know that Jody was involved with Vulcan for years before Paul passed.

In short, this is all media garbage. I don't see Jody making a lot of changes quickly, and I know she has every resource at her disposal. I know she cares, and I know she's smart. That's enough for me.

(Many owners are money grubbing, and/or dumb, and/or meddle... with Jody I don't have to worry about any of that.)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I've been pretty busy this season (even more than last). Not a bad time to miss stuff, and not be around for message boards and Reddit. But looking through this forum we have the entire spectrum of hate and discontent.

From an internet and even real life fan perspective there is some upside to sucking. People complaining and having a hard time having any fun when a team sucks makes more sense. Watching fans exaggerate them down to being worse than they are is kind of weird (example: saying they are repeatedly "one and done" when that event happened twice in 15 years) and boring. Watching fans fight over absurd things when a team sucks is at least kind of funny.

So even if things just go really sideways for the next 20 years there's some upside in entertainment of watching people getting worked up over some second year QB who is totally gonna pan out but doesn't pan out.