Is part of Russ’s struggles due to death of Trevor Moawad?

seabowl

Reaction score
Wondering if Russ is struggling mentally with the loss of his life coach Trevor Moawad back in September. He seems lost right now and it could be partially if not a lot to do with this.

One thing (seriously) comes to mind with this situation. It’s when in the movie Rocky he loses Mickey and he became mentally messed up fir a while.

Russ’s issue IMO are more mental and this may be a key reason why. Can’t think of anything else.

PNW

Reaction score
It could be that along with him still being injured

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Last 4 games of his passing yards:

149 (taken out hurt)

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
seabowl":1ufmmaek said:
Wondering if Russ is struggling mentally with the loss of his life coach Trevor Moawad back in September. He seems lost right now and it could be partially if not a lot to do with this.

One thing (seriously) comes to mind with this situation. It’s when in the movie Rocky he loses Mickey and he became mentally messed up fir a while.

Russ’s issue IMO are more mental and this may be a key reason why. Can’t think of anything else.

It doesn't explain the falling out last offseason - BUT - it does explain a few things. Interesting point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No, Russell's struggles are due to a serious finger injury and the fact that as he ages all his glaring weaknesses and shortcomings as a QB are being magnified.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, shouldn't we wait to try judging the guy when we know he is healthy?

We do know that he doesn't look completely 100%.

We also know that if anyone would think they could will themselves to playing despite a nagging injury - it would be Wilson.

So we can probably assume that he is to some extent impacted if not limited.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":28bcr775 said:
Just for the heck of it, shouldn't we wait to try judging the guy when we know he is healthy?

We also know that if anyone would think they could will themselves to playing despite a nagging injury - it would be Wilson.

Russell's accuracy was much better yesterday than it was last week, so no feel free to judge. Accuracy and his finger was not the issue yesterday.

Decision making, hesitancy, inability to check to the right play, etc.............all issues Russell's had a hard time with for almost a full season now if you go back to when he had his six turnovers in four games mid season last year until now.

Not all his fault, protection was again terrible and receivers like DK, RB's and Dissly not making plays.

But no one can say Russell's played well, and if you're being REALLY honest, he hasn't played well consistently in a long time going back to last year.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3bwczekb said:

This^^^

chris98251

Reaction score
seabowl":2dwnx0ko said:

Thats a valid observation, losing a close mentor could mess with his mentality and give him for lack of a better term some brain fog, just isn't really all there, closest I could think would be losing a parent or going thru a divorce you didn't want to happen.

It effects you, not tangible really but it does and you have to get snapped out of it or fight out of it.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that this doesn't explain his falloff last season, or the offseason drama; BUT;

Just because his mentor died this fall - he could have been diagnosed/dying for quite some time. It's not just the 'death' part that can affect someone - the run up to it also could have.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I definitely do believe it's a factor, but I also believe he simply isn't near 100%. And his stubbornness and drive to compete is overriding his common sense of letting Geno play until he really is at 100%. Yes he can throw the ball, yes some of those balls looked on point but you can't convince me he's even close to 100%.

Let Geno cook, lol.

chris98251

Reaction score
It is part of the whole bigger problem, he doesn't have this guy to help him thru a difficult time after his first real injury missing games, then you have the thinking of I wish he was here to help me thru this, add to that and I say this because he is a high level competitor trying to do too much to right the ship also and prove people he is ok, not taking what's there but trying to make a bigger play happen. Pretty soon you have a hot mess and nothing works, bad habits start to develop, teams see tendencies and take away things you have been using but his head is messed up and he isn't seeing stuff now.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'm sure it is a factor and people grieve differently with different timelines. That being said I'm sure many of us here have also suffered loss probably loss of someone (or a pet/fur family) that one would argue would have a deeper relationship than a decade long life coach and I don't know 2 days/weeks after the fact is one thing, 2 months later one should expect that its kind of behind you (mostly) by that time. At least in my own personal experience with loss, I know I was a wreck for about 2 days with my fur baby and out of it for about a week before returning to normal life. My wife lost her Dad a few years back and she was a wreck for about 2 weeks, out of it for a month but returning to normal after. And hat was her Dad that raised her, I might be insensitive because again everyone grieves differently, but this is at least how I've seen people grieve in my personal circle. Friends and Co-Workers I feel like I've seen similar timelines.

I think we're making up excuses and this is really what is going on:

1 - team is frustrated and playing even harder and thus worse
2 - coaching is not stepping in (or butting out) where necessary
3 - RW is stubborn and trying to force things he and or the team is not capable of anymore (or right now)

You know that LEGO movie song, everything is awesome? This is antithesis to that song right now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Actually, it sounds like it could MAYBE be a culmination of things, things like the injury of Chris Carson last season, and yet another SERIOUS season ending injury this season.
Going through yet another OC changeup.
I believe the unraveling has been going on for several years now, what with Doug Baldwin * bowing out, the Oline not being MORE of a priority, + being hit, hurried & sacked more than most of his counterparts, has to be weighing on his mind....* Anybody else remember a while back, when Russ was on the sidelines addressing his O-linemen, and Tom Cable being held off by Doug Baldwin? I believe Wilson was trying to communicate to them what protections he needed from them.
He was disgruntled after last season, (talks of trades) and I believe there could still be some unsettled issues going on behind the scenes there.
Obviously, the Offense this year, still has some unsolved matters going on, and now an injury?
Also, I do believe that the death of Trevor Moawad would absolutely bother him, but I'm thinking it's just another problem that Wilson is having to work his way through.

xray

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b0ew6tn said:
No, Russell's struggles are due to a serious finger injury and the fact that as he ages all his glaring weaknesses and shortcomings as a QB are being magnified.

100%

IndyHawk

Reaction score
xray":24db8rlm said:
Sgt. Largent":24db8rlm said:

100%
That's the fact(s) But the rest of you can dig up another excuse for Russ :roll:

evergreen

Reaction score
Probably above. It he’s been less since Buffalo last year. Bad decision making.

Fade

Reaction score
Get him an O-Line and a strong offensive head coach and his "struggles" {The last 17 games: 67%, 31 Total TDs, 10 INTs} would clear right up. Bear in mind his last 2 games have been terrible and really tanked his numbers, despite this they're still good, especially given the circumstances.

He will be getting an upgrade at HC & O-Line soon, regardless. Whether, here or somewhere else.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet when Mahomes lead the league in interceptions and had 17 in 17 games, excuses came out.
It will never end. Not even worth the effort to point out facts. People literally make stuff up to support their hate for Russ. Yeah, he has "struggled" so much in his career. Only took 10 years and 2 bad games on a really bad finger for them to look "right"

And for the record, I am fully aware that he came back too soon. But people equating the last 2 games to Russ being washed up? You're just making this fanbase look as dumb as people outside Seattle think of Seattle Fans. If not worse. When I talk to fans of other teams and tell them about how much people can't stand Russ and/or don't appreciate him, they pretty much just laugh. Or say "cry me a river, we would take Russ in a heartbeat"

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Russell is in a funk, no question. Part due to injury, part due to being rusty from having weeks off, the first time in his career in fact. And yes he has tendencies that gets him in trouble. But my goodness, some of the commentary I've been reading as of late is pure comic gold. He is still by far and away the most talented QB we have ever had, and if you don't think he will be enshrined in Canton someday you are being delusional. I'm too lazy to research and compile the list but if you could read every single NFL record he has broken, and his stats in general in 10 years you would be hard pressed to think anything other than what will his bust look like?