The end of an Era, and that's okay.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
It may be hard to admit for some, but the Seattle Seahawks Pete Carroll era is done. Maybe even the Wilson era, but that could still yet to be determine. At the very least Carroll is more than likely done after the end of this season.

The Seahawks have accomplished a lot since 2009 when Pete came onboard. A team of scrappy no-names trying to find an identity, to becoming one of the most feared teams in the NFL from 2012-2015 thanks in part to the blossoming of the Legion of Boom, a stagnant but marginally successful period and then since around 2018-2019 a decline and now the bottom gave out in 2021.

There's a lot to be happy and proud of the last 12 (nice) years for the Seahawks team and fans, but I think it's time to rip the band-aid off.

Seattle is not a good team in 2021. They're not even okay. The team is having one of its worst seasons in recent memory and it's not a surprise nor is it a one-off bad season. The chinks in the armor one can say started to appear after a certain pass in a certain game back in 2014. For others it was 2017 after the soft reboot of the roster and the dismantling of the LOB. At the very least for the last 3-4 years there has been noticeable decline of every facet of the team from coaching, scheming, players, and identity. Certain positions have been ignored only to be patched at the last second, expensive contracts to players, signing of no-name Free Agents on the cheap, spending draft picks to fill stop gap players like a fresh face kid out of bootcamp dropping bills at a strip club, a lot of draft misses, coaching nepotism, or what I think is one of the most egregious is the 2021 Draft and only walking in with 3 picks (because you used the rest of your capital on rental players). That alone is unacceptable.

Look I don't want to bash Pete or Schneider or Wilson here, who does deserve a lot of criticism for his piss poor play, but there are plenty of other threads to do that. My thing here for this post is, in the last decade the Seahawks have been a lot of fun to watch. A lot of plays, players, and games will be remembered not just by fans but by the NFL as a whole because of the impact the team made in that time.

The truth now is that the team must start fresh. There is no going back. The memories of past Super Bowl wins, losses, 10+ seasons is irrelevant in the here and now and every coaching regime eventually hits their expiration date (unless you're Belicheck, but he's immortal). We can’t keep dragging our feet and think that for some reason we’re so different that Pete or whoever is so infallible when every team has to change at some point or another.

Many years ago, I had a dvd collection of all Super Bowls 1-40 and the collection highlighted the seasons and the SB themselves, there is a line that described the 49ers in the late 90's early 00's, "The sun finally set on the San Francisco 49ers Dynasty", to me that line is relevant to the Seahawks now. The sun set on the team, but night doesn't last forever and even though it can be cold and scary in the dark the sun rises again.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":1elt2653 said:
It may be hard to admit for some, but the Seattle Seahawks Pete Carroll era is done. Maybe even the Wilson era, but that could still yet to be determine. At the very least Carroll is more than likely done after the end of this season.

The Seahawks have accomplished a lot since 2009 when Pete came onboard. A team of scrappy no-names trying to find an identity, to becoming one of the most feared teams in the NFL from 2012-2015 thanks in part to the blossoming of the Legion of Boom, a stagnant but marginally successful period and then since around 2018-2019 a decline and now the bottom gave out in 2021.

There's a lot to be happy and proud of the last 12 (nice) years for the Seahawks team and fans, but I think it's time to rip the band-aid off.

Seattle is not a good team in 2021. They're not even okay. The team is having one of its worst seasons in recent memory and it's not a surprise nor is it a one-off bad season. The chinks in the armor one can stay started to appear after a certain pass in a certain game back in 2014. For others it was 2017 after the soft reboot of the roster and the dismantling of the LOB. At the very least for the last 3-4 years there has been noticeable decline of every facet of the team from coaching, scheming, players, and identity. Certain positions have been ignored only to be patched at the last second, expensive contracts to players, signing of no-name Free Agents on the cheap, spending draft picks to fill stop gap players like a fresh face kid out of bootcamp dropping bills at a strip club, a lot of draft misses, coaching nepotism, or what I think is one of the most egregious is the 2021 Draft and only walking in with 3 picks (because you used the rest of your capital on rental players). That alone is unacceptable.

Look I don't want to bash Pete or Schneider or Wilson here, who does deserve a lot of criticism for his piss poor play, but there are plenty of other threads to do that. My thing here for this post is, in the last decade the Seahawks have been a lot of fun to watch. A lot of plays, players, and games will be remembered not just by fans but by the NFL as a whole because of the impact the team made in that time.

The truth now is that the team must start fresh. There is no going back. The memories of past Super Bowl wins, losses, 10+ seasons is irrelevant in the here and now and every coaching regime eventually hits their expiration date (unless you're Belicheck, but he's immortal). We can’t keep dragging our feet and think that for some reason we’re so different that Pete or whoever is so infallible when every team has to change at some point or another.

Many years ago, I had a dvd collection of all Super Bowls 1-40 and the collection highlighted the seasons and the SB themselves, there is a line that described the 49ers in the late 90's early 00's, "The sun finally set on the San Francisco 49ers Dynasty", to me that line is relevant to the Seahawks now. The sun set on the team, but night doesn't last forever and even though it can be cold and scary in the dark the sun rises again.

And, reluctantly, I agree.

Dammit, I miss 2013.

wazzuwilly

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":n8e4vt6d said:

Seattle is not a good team in 2021. They're not even okay. The team is having one of its worst seasons in recent memory and it's not a surprise nor is it a one-off bad season. The chinks in the armor one can stay started to appear after a certain pass in a certain game back in 2014. For others it was 2017 after the soft reboot of the roster and the dismantling of the LOB. At the very least for the last 3-4 years there has been noticeable decline of every facet of the team from coaching, scheming, players, and identity. Certain positions have been ignored only to be patched at the last second, expensive contracts to players, signing of no-name Free Agents on the cheap, spending draft picks to fill stop gap players like a fresh face kid out of bootcamp dropping bills at a strip club, a lot of draft misses, coaching nepotism, or what I think is one of the most egregious is the 2021 Draft and only walking in with 3 picks (because you used the rest of your capital on rental players). That alone is unacceptable.

Well said, for the first time I feel the same way. It has been a great run but the party is over.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree, well said OP. Let's not spend our energy in anger and frustration but look back and appreciate the immense success we have all enjoyed for the past near decade. Outside of the Patriots the Seahawks were the most successful team during that era. All good things come to an end eventually.

It was a hell of a ride. I will always have such fond memories of the LOB, of Marshawn, NFC Championships, the orgasmic SB48, and yes, even SB49 up until that fateful play. Inches from back-to-back Super Bowl victories. Wow.

I have no idea if Russ remains a Seahawk or not. Or if Pete or John are still around after this year.

All I know is that I am grateful for the memories of what they all gave us. I will cherish them for the rest of my days.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I agree, it's been a wonderful time to be a Seahawk fan. I've marveled in a few threads at my fortuitousness as a fan of an NFL team, as I really got serious into my 'Hawk fandom about twenty years ago. In that time, how many other franchise fans can say they've seen their team play in 3 Super Bowls, a bunch of division championships, and who knows how many playoff games? Not many.

In the last decade, watching our guys go to the playoff has been borderline a given. We've taken it for granted. That's pretty amazing for an NFL franchise (though that's going to get cheapened with the new format, which I still hate).

But yeah, this season most likely does mark the end of this era of the franchise. Looking at the offseason we had last year there were some who were predicting (hoping?) that last season would have been the end, and, in retrospect, maybe it should have been.

The issues we have this year are not new. They are the cracks in the franchise armor we've seen the last few seasons. Some have been issues we've had even when we were blowing out the Broncos in New Jersey. It is what it is.

But it's been a great time to be a Seahawk fan.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
Well said and it's about time somebody said it and didn't get backlash from saying it. So many people on this forum think that RW and PC will be here forever.

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Man, you (OP) and Aros have put out some good stuff here around the same theme.
Excellent.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well for a New Era to start the old must end, we now are on what's next Train for the New Era whatever it is going to be and whomever is going to be in it.

James in PA

Reaction score
Well said, OP. It was one hell of a ride with many more good times than bad. But my SB48 Champs bumper sticker is now badly faded, as it should be. It was nearly 8 years ago. Time to move on. A complete housecleaning with some painful down years is the only way to get back to the top of the mountain someday, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boycie

Reaction score
chris98251":33bvapys said:
Well for a New Era to start the old must end, we now are on what's next Train for the New Era whatever it is going to be and whomever is going to be in it.

This is ok. Nothing lasts forever and change is good. I know when PC and JS took charge, that it was some really exciting times for us as fans. The way they churned the roster over, and made so many transactions. It was fun to be a fan with the optimism around this team. The current team has jumped the shark, and I am looking forward to the changes.

Seymour

Reaction score
It's not ending anytime soon IMO. Pete is not walking away from a new 11MPY 5 year deal and leaving that kind of $$ on the table, and there is nobody to stop him from collecting it the way it looks to me.

If Russ demands a trade then maybe Carroll wakes up and resigns, but where is Russ going to go? He likely wants a team on the rise that is need of a 35M QB?? LOL, not many of those. Possibly New Orleans may be one of the very few, but that deal would be a longshot to make IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":2ddk1fr7 said:
It's not ending anytime soon IMO. Pete is not walking away from a new 11MPY 5 year deal and leaving that kind of $$ on the table, and there is nobody to stop him from collecting it the way it looks to me.

If Russ demands a trade then maybe Carroll wakes up and resigns, but where is Russ going to go? He likely wants a team on the rise that is need of a 35M QB?? LOL, not many of those. Possibly New Orleans may be one of the very few, but that deal would be a longshot to make IMO.

His list of go to places may change at the end of the season, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Washington, New Orleans, Denver come to mind.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seymour":2e10oh44 said:

You're not the only fan to feel like the Hawks are in a "no win" situation .....that's both figuratively and literally.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I agree with the OP except I see nothing suggesting PC is done after this year. Until then the era is not over, for better or worse.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Odd, it really is bittersweet. Arousing pleasure tinged with sadness or pain.

Since it all began, for me, it was always more about getting together with family and friends to cheer on our struggling team regardless of the outcome, drink a few and play a little street ball but this 2005 team finally took us to the big dance.

I loved that team, good role models and team players. There was no doubt in my mind, we were not only statistically better than Pittsburgh in every way, we were the good guys and we were going to win a super bowl. They didn't stand a chance.

After the SB loss, I had to become less invested, the anger and frustration about the cheating just wasn't healthy. It destroyed my plans to pass on my love of the hawks and what it meant to be a 12th man to my 3 year old son. I still followed the team but from a distance.

When PC was hired I could no longer stay away, I started following the drafts and trades again. When ET was picked I was all in.

But with the new make up of the team I never got my son into the game. It's been a awesome ride and I'll be a fan until I die but sadly, it's just a game.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1983, when the Seahawks played the Raiders in the AFC Championship.

I've followed this team religiously, including in the pre-internet days when you got boxscores on Monday morning. I remember a lot of drafts, and draftees. Brian Bosworth, Lamar King, Dan Macguire, Rick Mirer. Jesus, this team stepped on a lot of landmines over the years. I remember Holmgren's first year when they got off to a hot start with Jon Kitna, and backed their way into the playoffs. I remember when I was recruited by Todd to come check out the site, he found me on the old AOL Boards talking smack, must've been 1998 or so.

Yesterday, this team looked nothing like the teams of the early Pete Carroll era. The offense was flat. Russ wasn't invested. The defense tried, but looked a step behind at every turn, to a back-up quarterback, no less. Thats become too familiar a trend. It was much more reminiscent of the 90s Seahawks....in fact, you could say that about most of this season.

I'm not going to disagree with any of the sentiments here, it is probably time to blow it all up and rebuild, but i have to wonder where we would be if we'd just decided to invest a 1st or 2nd rounder into solid road graders the last few years. Ethan Pocic, the guy that does the best imitation of a subway turn-style I've ever seen on an NFL field, has been the only lineman drafted in the first two rounds since 2017, and none in the post-Cable era. You have a QB that is on pace for a HOF career, and he's been asking for a decent O-line for years, and Ethan Freakin' Pocic is the only guy you bothered to devote high draft capital to for 5 years.

It's not John, it's Pete. We all know it. And when Russ is somewhere else, and we are staring at another decade or two or mediocrity, we'll look back at the LJ Collier, Rashaad Penny, and Ethan Freakin' Pocics, and wonder what could've been if we just decided to not be so freaking cute and draft some decent Dirtbags.

Mizak

Reaction score
Or we could just trade Wilson to Green Bay for Aaron Rodgers(who may be still disgruntled) and be back to the promised land in no time.

BamKam

Reaction score
Mizak":9cowl354 said:
Or we could just trade Wilson to Green Bay for Aaron Rodgers(who may be still disgruntled) and be back to the promised land in no time.

We need a full reboot. Bringing in another expensive QB wouldn't make any sense. Get a placeholder QB in here until you draft the next guy you think is the Franchise QB while building a team around what you want to do with young talent.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
BamKam":dcmj0qrm said:
Mizak":dcmj0qrm said:

We need a full reboot. Bringing in another expensive QB wouldn't make any sense. Get a placeholder QB in here until you draft the next guy you think is the Franchise QB while building a team around what you want to do with young talent.
I don't necessarily think we need a reboot. We have a few good pieces that we can still use. We have good TE's in Everett and Dissly, our WR's DK Metcalf and Lockett are objectively one of the best starting WRs in the NFL.

If we could get Rodgers I think he'd be able to do some disgusting things with DK Metcalf and Lockett. As good as Wilson is, Rodgers has a more complete skill set than Wilson does. Lockett and DK Metcalf on quick timing routes would be deadly. Metcalf on a slant route with the ball thrown in stride would be scary.

Our number one issue would be the offensive line. Duane Brown is done, and our center position isn't the best. I really want to see what happens when Gabe Jackson is back at LG and Lewis is back at RG. Shell is doing decently.

On defense we have a few good young pieces in Darrell Taylor, Poona Ford, Brooks, Tre Brown, and our safety duo. A few select free agents and a guy like Rodgers could make us a playoff team again with the right OC and retooling.