I Still Believe in Pete Carroll

W

Welshers

Immediately following the game yesterday, I thought for the first time that it was time for Pete to go. But then I saw his post game presser. It's obvious how much the guy cares. He was devastated and couldn't even talk about it, and then later came back and apologized like a man. He is all into this team. He can't be fired after one losing season after such a track record of sustained success. Brllicheck had a bad season last year too. I think they should trade Russ and rebuild the team around Pete's vision. Good d and a running game. Just look at Tennessee. Pete can still win.

The guy is pure class. Just last year we were 12-4 division Champs. He has earned our trust for one more year.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Welshers":zpadjc9x said:
Immediately following the game yesterday, I thought for the first time that it was time for Pete to go. But then I saw his post game presser. It's obvious how much the guy cares. He was devastated and couldn't even talk about it, and then later came back and apologized like a man. He is all into this team. He can't be fired after one losing season after such a track record of sustained success. Brllicheck had a bad season last year too. I think they should trade Russ and rebuild the team around Pete's vision. Good d and a running game. Just look at Tennessee. Pete can still win.

The guy is pure class. Just last year we were 12-4 division Champs. He has earned our trust for one more year.

God bless you Welshers. You are a softy like me. But my man, it's time.

John63

Reaction score
Welshers":3dnwe49j said:

Just last year you were 12-4 With Wilson who is also pure class but you are all for getting rid of him. Again PC as an HC in the NFL without Wilson sub 500. With Wilson over 600.

BamKam

Reaction score
Pete's "next man up" approach just does not work anymore on this team with a fraction of the talent it had when he came in and started to slowly rebuild it. It has nowhere it can go either with how AWFUL Schneider has been with his trades and draft picks (the few that he has had) and a QB getting paid $35 million making the cap space hard to do anything in free agency either.

John63

Reaction score
BamKam":2huk1wa6 said:
Pete's "next man up" approach just does not work anymore on this team with a fraction of the talent it had when he came in and started to slowly rebuild it. It has nowhere it can go either with how AWFUL Schneider has been with his trades and draft picks (the few that he has had) and a QB getting paid $35 million making the cap space hard to do anything in free agency either.

The hard-to-do anything in Fa because of Wilson is crap. we have over 12 mil right now and have done nothing with it. Wilson has offered to restructure. The problem is we could have 80 mil and PC and JC would get crap. Name the last impact FA that was not just a one-year wonder? been a while hasn't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Welshers":a8vxf07g said:

This was the "one more year" for me.

chris98251

Reaction score
Welshers":13uqrq5c said:

Pete has done a lot of wonderful things for Seattle and many Young men in his programs and his volunteer work, he is a classy man.

However, sometimes you need to step away, Pete has a ton of things on his plate just with the Seahawks let alone his other interests. 10 or so years is a really good run for a Coach.

Also sometimes stepping away will not only recharge but give you perspective, I think Pete is at that point and trending there for a few years. The screw up in 49 changed everything and he has been fighting to get that level of play and buy in ever since.

sdog1981

Reaction score
When Pete got this thing going I was really excited. He seemed to be the perfect coach with the perfect philosophy for the NFL which forces teams to get rid of players to stay under the salary cap. It was the perfect mantra, just keep bringing in the players that are young and hungry to keep the team feeling fresh and competitive. This would also give the team cap flexibility.

This was the same Pete that just kept bringing in players to see who could play and who couldn't.

Then they just kind of stopped, they kept trading away draft picks, they kept bringing in fewer UDFAs, they just stopped churning the roster to keep that competitive edge.

Pete stopped believing in Pete. So I have to stop believing in him too.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
sdog1981":2pba5c6n said:
When Pete got this thing going I was really excited. He seemed to be the perfect coach with the perfect philosophy for the NFL which forces teams to get rid of players to stay under the salary cap. It was the perfect mantra, just keep bringing in the players that are young and hungry to keep the team feeling fresh and competitive. This would also give the team cap flexibility.

This was the same Pete that just kept bringing in players to see who could play and who couldn't.

Then they just kind of stopped, they kept trading away draft picks, they kept bringing in fewer UDFAs, they just stopped churning the roster to keep that competitive edge.

:ditto: Rather sad, isn't it.

John63

Reaction score
sdog1981":1ldghqep said:

This^^^

Optimus25

Reaction score
The guy is 70 years old lol. He’s done. Take what you got (a SB title) and evolve or die.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Welshers":u4n0exq0 said:

Bellichick recognized that he had too many things on his plate and relinquished power to concentrate on the coaching aspect and now has probably the best team in the AFC (again). When Carroll can do that, i'll consider your opinion with an open mind.

LTH

Reaction score
Welshers":2naw9km2 said:

How many teams can over come their starting QB missing 3-4 weeks what ever he missed and come back strong ? I just don't see that many coaches can over come that. If the team gives up and quits playing for Pete that's one thing but they are not giving up...they are still playing for Pete.

AZ did the right thing in letting Murry rest... maybe that's what the Hawks should have done but then again, maybe Pete thought that the team being in a hole, Russ was the best chance of this team winning... what would have happened if he had played Geno and they would have lost?

I know I'm in the minority and that people think I'm delusional.... that's fine... I don't care... I'm not going to change the way I feel about it because the majority of the people on this board don't agree with me or see it differently...I just think we have to wait till it all plays out before making a decision about firing the coach...They are NOT going to fire Pete mid season and the truth is we don't know what is going to happen...

Like I've said many times before when asked what it would take for me to fire Pete... I would fire Pete if and when the team stops playing for him... I would fire Pete when it becomes a situation to where the team has more than one losing season..or if I thought Pete was in effective. I think at the end of this season if the Hawks don't turn it around then that's when the discussion should happen definitely not after an emotional loss... If I have learned one thing in my life is a big decision should never be made off of strong emotion...

That's my take and I know people are going to say I'm delusional but I don't care...

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
May be he will regain his confidence, but at this point, Pete does not have faith in Pete.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Love the guy. Hated the initial hire but then got a chance to see him in action and hear the message. Empowering.

Even with all that, I think the trades come back and cement his future.

He’s consistently dominated at all levels which speaks much louder than some random .net with a collegiate handle or you know who.

LTH

Reaction score
toffee":1is89sr3 said:
May be he will regain his confidence, but at this point, Pete does not have faith in Pete.
I'm not sure thats true... He walked off the podium frustrated as hell because he didn't have answers to the questions. Holmgren used to avoid those questions by saying I don't know I have to look at the film...

Clearly Pete is in un familiar territory and we are going to see what he does about it and this will define for me if he is still capable to be the Seahawks coach...

It's not how you perform when your winning that defines a great coach it's what you do when your losing that defines greatness I have always thought that and we are about to see how great Carroll is...

LTH

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Carroll is done and he's been done for awhile now. It was a great run while it happened, but we've been running on borrowed time for a long time now.

If you want proof just look at how we've done in the playoffs since 2015. We're well below .500, our wins were against backup QBs, injured QBs and journeymen. Our ability to hang with the better teams has been in question for awhile now. Our inability to play 4 quarters of football has been a major question mark for a long time now. That lies squarely on the head coach and his philosophy.

Teams have also found out how to game Russell Wilson. They're gaming him in the pre-snap really hard and running really controlled pass rushes against him. The result here is a team that can no longer rely on crazy 4th quarter heroics in order to come out on top.

I love what Carroll has done for the Seahawks but it seriously time to move on. This is something that happens to every coach, even the greatest. I keep hearing 90s this, 90s that -- well currently Carroll is running a program that will lead us into those very pits of despair. Many of our losses this season can be squarely placed on his coaching decisions in game.

LTH

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":zuufksyj said:
[youtube]uChlDYxjmUs[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/uChlDYxjmUs

I'm truly unsure If Pete is the one who is controlling things the way he is saying... Now if what he is saying is true then I think he has a point but Nobody really knows what the truth is... all of it is just opinion...Pete from my knowledge runs things by comity I don't see him as someone who throws down the gauntlet and says it's my way or the highway or we would be seeing the Hawks run the ball 40 times a game...because its clear to me that Pete wants to run the ball... It really feels to me like he has backed out of controlling the O... So I'm unsure that Colin is seeing things correctly..

It's not how you perform when your winning that defines a great coach it's what you do when your losing that defines greatness

LTH