Interesting perspective from Gregg Bell

John63

Reaction score
LTH":2ba35vuq said:
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article256027292.html

Thoughts,

LTH

Okay so I will tell you. First some of the problems is Wilson, also the oline. What Greg said about wr with their backs echoes alot of what Holmgren said on the radio. It'd alot of simple things causing problem. Holmgren mentioned 1 play were Swain was suppose to run toward the sideline to take the CB away from DK. Instead he cut in and the back our the problem is he brought the CB to DK. Its little things that both the offense and defense are doing that are causing problems. It's also things I think they can work through. Last week was awful, this week while we still lost was better. Next week I suspect will be even better.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":3er9ee9w said:
LTH":3er9ee9w said:
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article256027292.html

Thoughts,

LTH

Okay so I will tell you. First some of the problems is Wilson, also the oline. What Greg said about wr with their backs echoes alot of what Holmgren said on the radio. It'd alot of simple things causing problem. Holmgren mentioned 1 play were Swain was suppose to run toward the sideline to take the CB away from DK. Instead he cut in and the back our the problem is he brought the CB to DK. Its little things that both the offense and defense are doing that are causing problems. It's also things I think they can work through. Last week was awful, this week while we still lost was better. Next week I suspect will be even better.

And when asked about what he thought the issue is, Lockett said not adjusting to what the defense is doing '

And when asked about taking the short plays
and approach his top wr suggested, Russel references 3 passes out of 27 that were ones he decided to deliberately exploit the defense with...

And then went on to say again, paraphrasing... but you've got to take the deep shots in contrast to Lockett's perspective.

As to the rush coming with wr's back turned. Who likes the deep routes by his own admission? Russel.

With a strong pass rush coming again and again and your best WR saying you need to adjust, what are the pass routes doing??? Going deep. Who defends it over and over again.? Yup.

This is why all the clamoring for a better line is noise.

Who's preference is it to throw the deep ball?
Who defends doing so everytime he's asked?

And what's the result of waiting for long developing routes when you know the rush is coming and the defense is looking for you to go long? The BS that Russ prefers. Last in 3rd down conversion and TOP.

LOCKETT SAYS TO CHANGE

PETE HAS SAID HE WANTS RUSS TOBTAKE WHATS THERE.

RUSS CONSTANTLY DEFENDS IT.

WHY? BECAUSE THATS HIS GAME.

keasley45

Reaction score
What did he not say say?

Yeah, we have to do a better job at attacking the weak spots... there was stuff that was there and we just didn't hit it.

We've got to stay with the run longer because that was working

We have to get the RBs involved more because those plays were there

We could have done a better job moving thr pocket...

He says none of that even though it's obvious, because what's being run is what he wants to run.

Wake up.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":vl36mbo5 said:
What did he not say say?

Yeah, we have to do a better job at attacking the weak spots... there was stuff that was there and we just didn't hit it.

He says none of that even though it's obvious, because what's being run is what he wants to run.

Wake up.

I don't see where people connect Carroll as controlling the O? I see no evidence that suggests Carroll is controlling the O. Maybe thats what the problem is, maybe he should be taking a more active role? I don't know because I really see things from what I read and from My perspective... I see NOTHING that suggests Carroll is controlling the O.. Do you see anything that suggests different?

LTH

keasley45

Reaction score
LTH":1jrc5mef said:
keasley45":1jrc5mef said:
What did he not say say?

Wake up.

I don't see where people connect Carroll as controlling the O? I see no evidence that suggests Carroll is controlling the O. Maybe thats what the problem is, maybe he should be taking a more active role? I don't know because I really see things from what I read and from My perspective... I see NOTHING that suggests Carroll is controlling the O.. Do you see anything that suggests different?

LTH

Nope .

Carrol is on record in plain disgust with the offense and has made it a point quite a few times to say Russ shouldn't go long all the time, to take what's there.

Lockett has said the same - that they aren't adjusting to what the defenses are doing ... taking what's there

WALDRON, what last week said his offense is predicated on getting the ball out - the QB HAS TO GET THE BALL OUT.

and only one person is saying that he is taking the available stuff .... 3 out if 27 times. THREE, when the available stuff is there all the time.

Only one person is defending going long all the time

Only one person apparently is ok with holding the ball too long (not Waldron) waiting for the deep ball routes to uncover.

One person has defended specifically seeking out a throw for the spectacular catch over the simple one for a first down.

And then there are HOF players who offer the same critique of Russ. Wanting the hard throw over the easy one, the long ball over the attacking (non reset) short throws, and not being ablento diagnose plays correctly, which again results in him holding the ball too long.

And not throwing the ball or preferring the long ball in the face of a blitz results in sacks, and upset rhythm, poor 3rd down conversion, etc.

This isn't speculation, or opinion. These are words straight from the mouths of the people involved.

Give you a guess who the guy defending doing what we are seeing on the field is.

It ain't Pete. It aint Waldron. It ain't Jody Allen or John Schneider.

But they all have the power to do something about it, and should, in about 16 weeks.

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":xnkcznps said:
keasley45":xnkcznps said:
What did he not say say?

Wake up.

LTH

From my armchair, Pete's directions and preferences, heck orders were being ignored or vetoed. Pete knew it, and he is too timid to call out Russ, the OC is the poor guy caught in between. Pete dare not go deep on why Russ has so much influence on the offense play calling, that would show the world that he hasn't been in charge of the offense for years. or in Toffee's words: Pete sold his soul,

Pete should have pulled the trade last off season, he is now paying for it, and we 12s are along for the ride.

keasley45

Reaction score
Well, you have to look at what Russ's image was. This is a business and there wasn't a hotter 5 names in the league than #3. And I think Pete honestly completely underestimated the way Russ has handled the last two years. It's borderline unchecked narcissism. He's not just ignoring Pete, it's obvious he's also ignoring Waldron. I gurantee that there's no way any even in the front office saw Russ pulling what he had.

But when you look at it from the other business side... Russ's side, what else is there to do? I think he knew last year that Pete was pissed and Schotty couldn't have been happy because his job was on the line because of the poor QB execution. So they were no doubt going to try and put him back in a place where the errant play we see now was kept in check by keeping Russ in a managerial role... so no MVP, no all time great talk... those accolades don't go to game managers and Russ had already heard enough of the good, not great talk early in his career.

So what card does he play? The only one he has. Turn the focus to his stats, his completion percentage ( partially due to the conservative role he played early on and the fact that he rarely throws traditional timing routes).

Spin the narrative to one where he's being held back be Pete and that the offense is stale, not because he doesn't execute it, but because the calls suck. And he knows it will work because the media machine talks soundbites, not necessarily facts (kind of like this forum)

And why do that? Because he knows that he needs to buy a year and put off as long as he can the truth that he struggles doing simple things like reading defenses because his 2022 plans don't include Seattle. Why wait? Because he has DK and Tyler setting records for him. It's saleable material to leverage his next deal.

For Russ this is a calculated business play gone wrong. He's overestimated his own ability to continue the magic he convinced himself was squashed last year not by his own inability to execute, but by Pete taking control away. I think he's been stubborn about the truth a long time, especially this offseason and in the most remarkable way right now. He is completely denying the fact that his play is killing the offense.

It makes me wonder if he isn't himself going to plan his own exit here soon (Blame it on his finger) if things don't turn. He's going to have to if he wants to secure his legacy. That, or he gives up trying to play Russ ball and plays within the offense ... which essentially means running more because it's not as though he can shift gears and all of a sudden see and do the things he hadn't been able to. But it might mean he can find space to maximize what he can do and what the offense is by doing something other than going boom or bust.

toffee

Reaction score
keasley45":1v1fi29a said:
Well, you have to look at what Russ's image was. This is a business and there wasn't a hotter 5 names in the league than #3. And I think Pete honestly completely underestimated the way Russ has handled the last two years. It's borderline unchecked narcissism. He's not just ignoring Pete, it's obvious he's also ignoring Waldron. I gurantee that there's no way any even in the front office saw Russ pulling what he had.

But when you look at it from the other business side... Russ's side, what else is there to do? I think he knew last year that Pete was pissed and Schotty couldn't have been happy because his job was on the line because of the poor QB execution. So they were no doubt going to try and put him back in a place where the errant play we see now was kept in check by keeping Russ in a managerial role... so no MVP, no all time great talk... those accolades don't go to game managers and Russ had already heard enough of the good, not great talk early in his career.

So what card does he play? The only one he has. Turn the focus to his stats, his completion percentage ( partially due to the conservative role he played early on and the fact that he rarely throws traditional timing routes).

Spin the narrative to one where he's being held back be Pete and that the offense is stale, not because he doesn't execute it, but because the calls suck. And he knows it will work because the media machine talks soundbites, not necessarily facts (kind of like this forum)

And why do that? Because he knows that he needs to buy a year and put off as long as he can the truth that he struggles doing simple things like reading defenses because his 2022 plans don't include Seattle. Why wait? Because he has DK and Tyler setting records for him. It's saleable material to leverage his next deal.

For Russ this is a calculated business play gone wrong. He's overestimated his own ability to continue the magic he convinced himself was squashed last year not by his own inability to execute, but by Pete taking control away. I think he's been stubborn about the truth a long time, especially this offseason and in the most remarkable way right now. He is completely denying the fact that his play is killing the offense.

It makes me wonder if he isn't himself going to plan his own exit here soon (Blame it on his finger) if things don't turn. He's going to have to if he wants to secure his legacy. That, or he gives up trying to play Russ ball and plays within the offense ... which essentially means running more because it's not as though he can shift gears and all of a sudden see and do the things he hadn't been able to. But it might mean he can find space to maximize what he can do and what the offense is by doing something other than going boom or bust.

Or Pete can bench him, as he should have in the second half of GB game.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":2d4i52vr said:
LTH":2d4i52vr said:
keasley45":2d4i52vr said:
What did he not say say?

Wake up.

LTH

Nope .

Carrol is on record in plain disgust with the offense and has made it a point quite a few times to say Russ shouldn't go long all the time, to take what's there.

Lockett has said the same - that they aren't adjusting to what the defenses are doing ... taking what's there

WALDRON, what last week said his offense is predicated on getting the ball out - the QB HAS TO GET THE BALL OUT.

and only one person is saying that he is taking the available stuff .... 3 out if 27 times. THREE, when the available stuff is there all the time.

Only one person apparently is ok with holding the ball too long (not Waldron) waiting for the deep ball routes to uncover.

One person has defended specifically seeking out a throw for the spectacular catch over the simple one for a first down.

And then there are HOF players who offer the same critique of Russ. Wanting the hard throw over the easy one, the long ball over the attacking (non reset) short throws, and not being ablento diagnose plays correctly, which again results in him holding the ball too long.

And not throwing the ball or preferring the long ball in the face of a blitz results in sacks, and upset rhythm, poor 3rd down conversion, etc.

This isn't speculation, or opinion. These are words straight from the mouths of the people involved.

Give you a guess who the guy defending doing what we are seeing on the field is.

But they all have the power to do something about it, and should, in about 16 weeks.

And yet Pete says his relationship with Russ is the best it's ever been

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status ... 59138?s=20

I find this to be very interesting...

We can see that Russ is having a problem with his reads...we are speculating that Russ might have an ego problem and that he needs some tough LOVE...we are speculating that Russ is taking control over the Hawks O and changing plays at the line to the detriment of the run game...

You would think if everything we are talking about is true there would be some issues between Russ and Carroll. Clearly Carroll is frustrated beyond belief..one would have to believe that Russ is frustrated as well...

There is clearly an issue on the offensive side of the ball.. the Hawks are asking Wilson to do what he is not used to doing and it very much feels like he is struggling to execute the passing game in a new offense...

As well, the run game has NOT been effective when it needs to be... which puts Waldron in the position to pass the ball when he would actually like to run the ball... at least that's what I understand from Carroll and Waldron.

The Hawks really don't have that big strong back like Marshawn to get those tough 3rd down yards... Collins is doing an ok job but not so much on third down.

When you throw injury into the mix, Carson, and Russ... It feels very much Like an offense coming back that is having trouble capturing the rhythm they need to get going. When you throw in the last two games against two of the best teams in football against a team that is out of offensive balance what outcome would one expect? One can see how and why the season is going the way it is... What happens if Carson and Russ don't get hurt? I think this is an interesting question.

The flip side of it is that Carroll and Russ are not going to air their issues to the media... we know that to be a fact. so in actuality we don't really know what is happening between the two..

Maybe that is the fault of the media from guys like Joe Fann and Colin Cowherd.. guys that are blowing stuff out of proportion for ratings taking advantage of the emotions of fans after hard losses. Maybe if we had a media that is just reporting the facts and not pushing a narrative that is geared around opinionated theory's driven to propel their own success, maybe we would have a better and complete understanding of what's really going on...

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
The following tweet is interesting ................... [tweet]https://twitter.com/PaulCalvisi/status/1463241494253346819[/tweet]
........................................................... Oh my

AgentDib

Reaction score
I realize that Bell is just doing his job, but Duane Brown said exactly what he should say in the middle of an active season and no more. "One game at a time", "Next man up", and "1-0 every week" are essential mindsets for athletes to hold where it doesn't matter how things could have gone, it only matters how it is.

The Hawks have a road game on MNF against a Washington team that road a strong defensive line to consecutive wins against the Panthers and the Bucs. Monday is all that Brown should be focused on. Speculating about last week, two weeks from now, one year in the past, and one year in the future is not helpful whatsoever towards him playing the best football that he can in a couple of days from now. Throwing shade at anybody is similarly unhelpful.

Of course fans can have those kind of discussions as much as we'd like, because us talking about how things could have gone on a Thursday evening doesn't distract from the zero game preparation that we need to be doing as fans for Monday's game.

hawks85

Reaction score
I'm not even going to read all these comments. Wilson sucks and I don't care what people say on the subject. Dude is a f'ing bakyard QB and I've said this a trillion times. Wilson in his mind thinks he's the best at what he does and that's his fantasy. People can speculate all they want on what the issues are. The real issue is Wilson and his backyard QB style that's f'ing up everything. His foot speed is garbage, can't read a defense if his life depended on it and he runs around to much...why....because he's to god damn short that's why. Thank you and good night.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
keasley45":3lzdamot said:
LTH":3lzdamot said:
keasley45":3lzdamot said:
What did he not say say?

Wake up.

LTH

Nope .

THIS. ^^^. My goodness, THIS ^^^^

John63

Reaction score
ddores":1q68ouoa said:
keasley45":1q68ouoa said:
LTH":1q68ouoa said:
keasley45":1q68ouoa said:
What did he not say say?

Wake up.

LTH

Nope .

wow that a lot with no links or anything sounds like more BS to me. but what's new. Oh convenient you forgot where Greg bell says Wr not turning around etc etc.

You see the issue I have is not that Wilson is part of the issue right now, he is. He is not healthy and not seeing things right, That said he is only one of many issues. You got Rb who miss blocks, wr not turning around, not running right routes, bad locking, drops etc etc. You can complain all you want but other than this 2 game stretch Wilson has been great, Yes a game here and there like all QBs even the great ones but you don't have the 2nd highest lifetime Passer rating doing or not doing all the crap you talk about.

how but her is one for you

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-west/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-make-change-to-offense-amid-slump

“Often simplifying is the way we go to make sure we’re getting enough turns and enough reps at stuff,” Carroll said. “We have trimmed some things a little bit in the last couple weeks. We’re hoping that we’ll reap the benefits of that.”

YeaH PC has no impact on the offense at all.....NOT He has total 100% control of it.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1463668887178731525[/tweet]

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
John63":3gwdxpo5 said:
ddores":3gwdxpo5 said:
keasley45":3gwdxpo5 said:
LTH":3gwdxpo5 said:

LTH

Nope .

wow that a lot with no links or anything sounds like more BS to me. but what's new. Oh convenient you forgot where Greg bell says Wr not turning around etc etc.

You see the issue I have is not that Wilson is part of the issue right now, he is. He is not healthy and not seeing things right, That said he is only one of many issues. You got Rb who miss blocks, wr not turning around, not running right routes, bad locking, drops etc etc. You can complain all you want but other than this 2 game stretch Wilson has been great, Yes a game here and there like all QBs even the great ones but you don't have the 2nd highest lifetime Passer rating doing or not doing all the crap you talk about.

how but her is one for you

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-west/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-make-change-to-offense-amid-slump

“Often simplifying is the way we go to make sure we’re getting enough turns and enough reps at stuff,” Carroll said. “We have trimmed some things a little bit in the last couple weeks. We’re hoping that we’ll reap the benefits of that.”

YeaH PC has no impact on the offense at all.....NOT He has total 100% control of it.

Well GOOD for PETE!!! Thats EXACTLY what he should do!!!! It's his football team he is the one who's ass is going to get chopped I say make the adjustment ... THATS CARROLLS JOB!! He is the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks and now he is acting like it... make the damn adjustment Pete!

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":yomv37se said:

I think this is a very interesting post...I agree with most of it.

I think one aspect that everybody is overlooking is that Pete being the great football coach that he is, finds a way to work things out with Russ, Waldron and with the offense. It might be that they don't make the play offs this year but the adversity of the year might turn out to be the biggest blessing... maybe they figure it out and make the best out of a down year take that momentum and have a great year next year. sometimes the greatest seasons in growth are not the most successful .. i'm hoping they figure it out and grow stronger that's what happens with strong relationships...

Just my observation

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":27f367co said:
keasley45":27f367co said:

I think this is a very interesting post...I agree with most of it.

I think one aspect that everybody is overlooking is that Pete being the great football coach that he is, finds a way to work things out with Russ, Waldron and with the offense. It might be that they don't make the play offs this year but the adversity of the year might turn out to be the biggest blessing... maybe they figure it out and make the best out of a down year take that momentum and have a great year next year. sometimes the greatest seasons in growth are not the most successful .. i'm hoping they figure it out and grow stronger that's what happens with strong relationships...

Just my observation

LTH

Firing underperforming coaches and players works also, or actually being a Coach on the Field and not a Buddy.

We don't want to compound things either.