This is the problem!!

John63

Reaction score
"“Honestly, all of these teams are not playing what they play on film," Lockett remarked. "They are literally not, so it’s hard to be able to get ready. Every time you get ready to go against a team, they might play man-to-man their whole entire 7-8 games, and then they play us, and they don’t play man once.""

"As emphasized by Carroll, Lockett, and several players on Sunday, the Seahawks have been happy with what they've accomplished on the practice field leading up to games in recent weeks. But that hasn't translated to game action and Lockett's comments suggest part of that may be due to game planning complications with other teams changing things up when they play them."

This spells a lack of adjustments and that is coaching

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...g-assessment-of-seahawks-third-down-struggles

OF course, there is more. But the point is its a huge issue and only coaching can solve it problem is, it has existed for some time and is only now costing them big.

Tical21

Reaction score
Except Russ and Pete came out and said the Cards did what was expected and they didn't know what Tyler was referring to.

LTH

Reaction score
John63":3glx3v39 said:
"“Honestly, all of these teams are not playing what they play on film," Lockett remarked. "They are literally not, so it’s hard to be able to get ready. Every time you get ready to go against a team, they might play man-to-man their whole entire 7-8 games, and then they play us, and they don’t play man once.""

"As emphasized by Carroll, Lockett, and several players on Sunday, the Seahawks have been happy with what they've accomplished on the practice field leading up to games in recent weeks. But that hasn't translated to game action and Lockett's comments suggest part of that may be due to game planning complications with other teams changing things up when they play them."

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...g-assessment-of-seahawks-third-down-struggles

OF course, there is more. But the point is its a huge issue and only coaching can solve it problem is, it has existed for some time and is only now costing them big.

Again I ask the question why do you think Carroll is running the O? what information do you have that I don't?

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
If there is a legit criticism I'm all on it... I just don't see this as being all on Carroll.. yes he is ultimately responsible for what happens and yeah at the end of the season I will judge him on what happened during this season and if it turns out that this team quit on him I will be on board with him being fired I just don't see where people are getting thier info from guys like Colin Cowered or what ever his name is... where is he getting his info from?

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
John63":3p00biuf said:

FINALLY, a half page rebuttals instead of a one word cameo. J63 is almost back!

hawks85

Reaction score
LTH":3tr3w7ei said:
If there is a legit criticism I'm all on it... I just don't see this as being all on Carroll.. yes he is ultimately responsible for what happens and yeah at the end of the season I will judge him on what happened during this season and if it turns out that this team quit on him I will be on board with him being fired I just don't see where people are getting thier info from guys like Colin Cowered or what ever his name is... where is he getting his info from?

LTH

I've been asked this to many times and here is my opinion. It's not Waldron and people need to stop blaming Waldron. It's a little bit of the O-Line but the main problem people keep avoiding is Wilson. This dude needs to start playing like a west coast QB and man that god damn pocket like a man and stop playing like a backyard QB. Wilson needs to learn how to pick a defense apart and construct an actual drive to eat up clock time. Wilson is the complete opposite of that. I think Wilson has always been awful and don't understand why people have a hard on for this guy. He's a terrible QB and no one will convince me otherwise. Take away that deep ball and you are left with a below average QB who can't read or pick a defense apart. I don't give a damn what people say about this, it's facts 100 percent. Just sit and watch Wilson play really focus on Wilson. He looks like he has no clue what the hell is going on half of the time.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem is there are so many problems.

That is the nature of a losing team, every facet ends up wanting.

There is nothing to fix.

We chose to ignore problems when they first manifested. We made excuses instead of self assessed and addressed.

Now we have issues all over the place, and who knows how that is playing in the locker room.

We know the fanbase is breaking into factions, sure that their guy is the only redeemable part of this plan and the only pathway forward.

So it probably isn't one thing.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":1ub9s3hg said:

You're outright disagreeing with Russell Wilson by agreeing with Tyler Lockett here.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1dxlo28l said:
John63":1dxlo28l said:

You're outright disagreeing with Russell Wilson by agreeing with Tyler Lockett here.

If John turned his back on Russ, then Russ's days in Seattle is done. Although John hasn't quite been his usual 1000 word stats filled rebuttal machine, he has been allowing the LHL of the world picking Russ's games apart.

keasley45

Reaction score
It's impossible to diagnose a car thats running badly without first starting with the most simple, fundamental of things.

Fuel
Air
Spark.

If you don't confirm that's working correctly, you'll be chasing your tail forever and throwing good money after bad. A failure in those three areas can manifest in a dozen other different ways and cause more issues if not corrected.

Football is similar in that sense, except on offense those three elements are embodied in qb play to degree. There was a quote tonight on MNF by one of the broadcasters that, 'average qb play gets people fired'.. The qb play on this team is average at best, save for the impossible throws down field. And when that play is off, the decision making is bad, the line can look horrid, receivers can look bad because 'they aren't open', the running game can look stale because it's never given a chance to get in rhythm, etc, etc etc. Sometimes those things are causes for the offense to look bad, other times they are symptoms of bad qb play. At times we've experienced both. But there is no doubt that for better than a year now, the sub-par qb play is Gumming everything up.

As to Lockett saying what he did. That's exactly the same thing many here have been saying. What offense did we run against the Titans? Same one we ran the following week, and the week after and the week after and the week after. He's not letting Russ off the hook. Russ is scripting the gamelan with Waldron and even Waldron has been critical of the QB play.

And adjusting to man looks from zone looks don't require redoing the game plan. It's a simple change of play. TAKING WHATS THERE. Russ is playing it the same way every week and defending it.

Kurt Warner called out the same thing... distinguishing between how Russ should know how to attack zone vs man and he plays it the same way.

So what's the hypothesis here, that Waldron, who was never associated with the Russball, heave and a prayer offense thats Russ defends nonstop actually goes into weekly game planning thinking that THATS going to be the thing that wins the day?

I think the signs of Waldron in the playcalling are plays to Everett... some of the only on schedule plays that worked. Everett came here with him. He knows him and is getting him the ball in the few instances Russ isn't just dictating what he wants to run.

No news here but more of what's obvious. Russ is doing Russ.

toffee

Reaction score
keasley45":3v261r18 said:
It's impossible to diagnose a car thats running badly without first starting with the most simple, fundamental of things.

Fuel
Air
Spark.

If you don't confirm that's working correctly, you'll be chasing your tail forever and throwing good money after bad. A failure in those three areas can manifest in a dozen other different ways and cause more issues if not corrected.

Football is similar in that sense, except on offense those three elements are embodied in qb play to degree. There was a quote tonight on MNF by one of the broadcasters that, 'average qb play gets people fired'.. The qb play on this team is average at best, save for the impossible throws down field. And when that play is off, the decision making is bad, the line can look horrid, receivers can look bad because 'they aren't open', the running game can look stale because it's never given a chance to get in rhythm, etc, etc etc. Sometimes those things are causes for the offense to look bad, other times they are symptoms of bad qb play. At times we've experienced both. But there is no doubt that for better than a year now, the sub-par qb play is Gumming everything up.

As to Lockett saying what he did. That's exactly the same thing many here have been saying. What offense did we run against the Titans? Same one we ran the following week, and the week after and the week after and the week after. He's not letting Russ off the hook. Russ is scripting the gamelan with Waldron and even Waldron has been critical of the QB play.

And adjusting to man looks from zone looks don't require redoing the game plan. It's a simple change of play. TAKING WHATS THERE. Russ is playing it the same way every week and defending it.

Kurt Warner called out the same thing... distinguishing between how Russ should know how to attack zone vs man and he plays it the same way.

So what's the hypothesis here, that Waldron, who was never associated with the Russball, heave and a prayer offense thats Russ defends nonstop actually goes into weekly game planning thinking that THATS going to be the thing that wins the day?

I think the signs of Waldron in the playcalling are plays to Everett... some of the only on schedule plays that worked. Everett came here with him. He knows him and is getting him the ball in the few instances Russ isn't just dictating what he wants to run.

I have been on this train for a long time, that Pete has been weak and let Russ had his ways with offense. That, however, was and is my speculation. You and I were not in the locker room, on the sideline, or in the huddle, we can speculate all we want, it still just speculation. I did find it unusual that two of Russ's most productive WRs, Angry and Lockett turned on him.

Oh John63 has direct access on all conversations on the sideline, may be he can help.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Like I said huge problem coaching issue.

toffee

Reaction score
John63":2tih4ydv said:
Like I said huge problem coaching issue.

Where's the old John and his essays when we need him to make conversation go back and forth?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Tical21":r4mo0lp6 said:
Except Russ and Pete came out and said the Cards did what was expected and they didn't know what Tyler was referring to.

Tyler was referring to the players, not the coaches. Here's a direct quote from his presser.

That is the biggest thing with us being able to convert 3rd downs and being able to move the ball forward. It's just being able to see what they are playing and what we need to do to be able to beat it. If we can learn that as players faster in the first or second quarter, then the whole entire game will be different.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/what-the- ... -cardinals

Jville

Reaction score
hoxrox":2sq6x3wx said:
Tical21":2sq6x3wx said:

Tyler was referring to the players, not the coaches. Here's a direct quote from his presser.

That is the biggest thing with us being able to convert 3rd downs and being able to move the ball forward. It's just being able to see what they are playing and what we need to do to be able to beat it. If we can learn that as players faster in the first or second quarter, then the whole entire game will be different.

^^^ That's right.

An additional quote from the OP's link follows ..............
When asked about Lockett's remarks during his Monday press conference, Carroll didn't concur, initially responding, "You're assuming that he's right."

After pausing for a second, Carroll took a step back to avoid calling out his own player, saying opponents do tend to play the Seahawks using a different defensive strategy than they would against other teams based on Wilson's mobility and their personnel. But as far as being prepared is concerned, he didn't agree with Lockett's premise that the Cardinals threw wrinkles at them they weren't ready for.

"That's nothing new for us at all. We didn't have any problem knowing what they were doing," Carroll added.

Interestingly, when asked for his opinion on the Seahawks' third down issues, Wilson also seemed to disagree with Lockett's take and shot it down. While the Cardinals may have presented a few different coverages from what they game planned for, he didn't see anything from them that surprised him, telling reporters they played Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 4, Cover 6, and a "good amount" of match-man coverage.
................ so Tyler's view is that it's players that need to see and learn faster what what opponents are throwing at them earlier on in a game.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
toffee":3qjdr1kr said:
keasley45":3qjdr1kr said:

Fuel
Air
Spark.

I have been on this train for a long time, that Pete has been weak and let Russ had his ways with offense. That, however, was and is my speculation. You and I were not in the locker room, on the sideline, or in the huddle, we can speculate all we want, it still just speculation. I did find it unusual that two of Russ's most productive WRs, Angry and Lockett turned on him.

Oh John63 has direct access on all conversations on the sideline, may be he can help.
Doug was that slot guy open underneath over the middle that Russell doesn't see when drives stall out. He never said it plainly in public, but he got in Russell's ass about it on the sidelines and I'm sure in the film room. That scenario turned Doug into ADB. That is what we're missing on this offense. They're missing that person who will hold Russell accountable on the field during the game. Tyler is too nice. DK still too green, but he has the personality to eventually do it if they played together long enough.

toffee

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3vzixp0e said:
toffee":3vzixp0e said:
keasley45":3vzixp0e said:

Fuel
Air
Spark.

Doug was that slot guy open underneath over the middle that Russell doesn't see when drives stall out. He never said it plainly in public, but he got in Russell's ass about it on the sidelines and I'm sure in the film room. That scenario turned Doug into ADB. That is what we're missing on this offense. They're missing that person who will hold Russell accountable on the field during the game. Tyler is too nice. DK still too green, but he has the personality to eventually do it if they played together long enough.

Elite WRs often make their QB look good, Angry's an elite slot receiver, if you watch enough film, he did make Russ looked good. Or you can say Russ made him look good. Lockett no doubt made Russ looked good by making adjustments when Russ was doing his escape routine, if Tyler couldn't make himself open, Russ's running around buying would be just running around.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":3pqyhfrc said:
Tical21":3pqyhfrc said:

It's a combination of both the players and the coaches.

chris98251

Reaction score
If this is truly a Rams consept offense the WR have read options depending on the way a defender plays them and adjusts the route accordingly, the QB has to also read that and know where the WR is going to go as well, maybe this is what Lockett is referring to. Previously Schotty and Bevel had simple route trees and then the scramble drill.

Reading and adjustment on the fly is new to our receivers here and certainly new to Russell here.

The disconnect could be there in some cases, that still does not excuse missing wide open guys Wilson clearly see's and decides not to throw too.