Seattle can still make the playoffs!

W

Welshers

538 gives them a 4% chance! We're still alive folks! Run the table!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Time for your posts to stop puffing and start passing.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I realize that's mostly tongue-in-cheek meant as a joke and I am by no means optimistic about advancing to the post season, but our chances are likely a little better than 4%.

Those odds are calculated on historical results, in other words, how often does a team with a 3-7 record with 6 games (or now 7 games) left make the playoffs?

This is an extremely unusual year in that there are so many teams that are hovering at or just below the .500 mark. If you eliminate the 4 division leaders in our conference, ie Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Arizona, and Dallas, the remaining records for the 3 wild cards are as follows:

Rams 7-3, Eagles 5-6, Saints 5-5, Vikings 5-5, WFT 4-6, Panthers 5-6, Falcons 4-6, Niners 5-5.

The Rams are the only team with a lock on a playoff spot. We're only 2 games off the pace with 7 games left to play for one of the two remaining seeds. I would say that's a little better than a 1 in 20 chance.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I agree with above.

We all know the hawks are criminally under performing and can do a whole lot better. I'm sure that is why most of us are upset and frustrated.

I myself expected to lock in and start winning when russ came back. I was wrong, but no one here can say we have performed to our peak potential. If we did the record would look drastically different.

I still believe. Plus, alot of these teams are criminally overrated. That's why a majority of the nfc is barely 500 or below.

RiverDog

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":pban2jkw said:
Plus, alot of these teams are criminally overrated. That's why a majority of the nfc is barely 500 or below.

I'm not sure which teams are more over rated, the ones hanging around .500 or the Bills, Cowboys, Titans, Packers, et al division leaders that are not only getting beat, but getting trashed by sub .500 teams.

toffee

Reaction score
If we win the rest of scheduled games, yes we are in.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Mizak

Reaction score
RiverDog":3btlbvv7 said:
I realize that's mostly tongue-in-cheek meant as a joke and I am by no means optimistic about advancing to the post season, but our chances are likely a little better than 4%.

Those odds are calculated on historical results, in other words, how often does a team with a 3-7 record with 6 games (or now 7 games) left make the playoffs?

This is an extremely unusual year in that there are so many teams that are hovering at or just below the .500 mark. If you eliminate the 4 division leaders in our conference, ie Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Arizona, and Dallas, the remaining records for the 3 wild cards are as follows:

Rams 7-3, Eagles 5-6, Saints 5-5, Vikings 5-5, WFT 4-6, Panthers 5-6, Falcons 4-6, Niners 5-5.

The Rams are the only team with a lock on a playoff spot. We're only 2 games off the pace with 7 games left to play for one of the two remaining seeds. I would say that's a little better than a 1 in 20 chance.

Out of those 7 teams besides the Rams, the Eagles, Vikings, and WFT look more competent. The Vikings wins and losses are by like 7 or less points except the Seahawks game. Eagles have won 3 out of their last 4 games, and WFT is on a mini 2 game winning streak having beat the GOAT Brady and the Panthers. Saints on a 3 game losing streak ever since they beat Seahawks, Falcons blown on back to back games by *owboys and Patriots, and Panthers hovering over .500. Niners need to show more cuz they looking more like Jekyll and Hyde.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Mizak":wuwnpei0 said:
RiverDog":wuwnpei0 said:

Out of those 7 teams besides the Rams, the Eagles, Vikings, and WFT look more competent. The Vikings wins and losses are by like 7 or less points except the Seahawks game. Eagles have won 3 out of their last 4 games, and WFT is on a mini 2 game winning streak having beat the GOAT Brady and the Panthers. Saints on a 3 game losing streak ever since they beat Seahawks, Falcons blown on back to back games by *owboys and Patriots, and Panthers hovering over .500. Niners need to show more cuz they looking more like Jekyll and Hyde.

That's certainly how it looks now, but it's been such a roller coaster season that I'm not counting anyone in or out. It's too damn bad that we couldn't have won a couple of those close games, like the Titans and Steelers games, or we'd be right in that mix.

But on the other hand, losing those games could end up being a blessing in disguise, not too unlike having that Vinnie Testeverde helmet touchdown go against us.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Mizak":xfofphxw said:
RiverDog":xfofphxw said:

Ok so we are all saying the same thing. Some teams aren't that bad and some are. Independent of their records. Cuz om any given day they have proven they either aren't or are contenders. Seahawks are doing the same thing. We've played tight ones with better teams. Then lost to teams we shouldn't have. I still think we have a chance. I know because they pack barely beat us and so did the cards. Both of those teams really pulling it out in the end of the game. Which is traditionally more of a seahawks thing.

nutluck

Reaction score
RiverDog":35ad6r6s said:

Not completely true because the Saints and Vikings have head to head tie breakers over the Hawks, which puts the hawks 2.5 games behind them. So they would need a tie instead of a win and the hawks get 2 more wins or the hawks get 3 more wins over at least one of them, to over take the last slot.

I said in a thread after the packers game the Hawks could only lose 2 more games and have any real chance at all to get into the playoffs. Based on the other teams likely final results based on their current record. Which means the hawks now can only afford to lose 1 more game and the saints and vikings need to only win 3 more and lose at least 4 more if the hawks only lose one more to get in.

One team can do better than what I posted above and still let the Hawks get the 7th slot.

So mathematically the hawks are still alive but odds are really against it. Not even taking into account the rest ahead of the Hawks. right now only the Lions are behind the hawks in the playoff race based on current tie breakers and records.

RiverDog

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":18t3dw1k said:
Ok so we are all saying the same thing. Some teams aren't that bad and some are. Independent of their records. Cuz om any given day they have proven they either aren't or are contenders. Seahawks are doing the same thing. We've played tight ones with better teams. Then lost to teams we shouldn't have. I still think we have a chance. I know because they pack barely beat us and so did the cards. Both of those teams really pulling it out in the end of the game. Which is traditionally more of a seahawks thing.

The Packers barely beat us? They shut us out 17-0. They had 185 more yards than we had, controlled the ball for 39 minutes to our 21, and missed a very makable FG. Similar story with the Cards, nearly identical TOP, same skewed stats, missed FG's made the game look closer than it was. We were beaten decisively in both games.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
RiverDog":x73yf6ru said:
jamescasey1124":x73yf6ru said:

The Packers barely beat us? They shut us out 17-0. They had 185 more yards than we had, controlled the ball for 39 minutes to our 21, and missed a very makable FG. Similar story with the Cards, nearly identical TOP, same skewed stats, missed FG's made the game look closer than it was. We were beaten decisively in both games.

Negative. Pack barely scored until late 3rd then beat us down with a big ass back. When our d was done for...then they scored. It wasnt a straight up ass whooping. Plus we had opportunities to score and in red zone. Offense made mistakes.

Same with cards game. Game didn't get out of hand until 3rd late. Arguably the 4th. Field goals made it closer with misses, but they hardly whooped our asses again.

It was more of a beat your self then the opposing team imposing their will. Very winnable games. Both of them.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
RiverDog":16r6lups said:
jamescasey1124":16r6lups said:

Negative. Pack barely scored until late 3rd then beat us down with a big ass back. When our d was done for...then they scored. It wasnt a straight up ass whooping. Plus we had opportunities to score and in red zone. Offense made mistakes.

Same with cards game. Game didn't get out of hand until 3rd late. Arguably the 4th. Field goals made it closer with misses, but they hardly whooped our asses again.

It was more of a beat your self then the opposing team imposing their will. Very winnable games. Both of them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks are 1-5 in conference games. This is the mark that is hurting them. They have 3 wins but only 1 of those is against an NFC opponent. That puts them behind in tiebreaking situations. This is another factor in why they have 4% chance of making the playoffs. Hopefully they win on Monday night (against a NFC opponent) to start their turn around. If they lose, you pretty much can count them out.

What sucks even more is they are on their way to a top 10 pick in the 2022 NFL draft which they could desperately use and have gifted it to the Jets.

nutluck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":foibj2yg said:
What sucks even more is they are on their way to a top 10 pick in the 2022 NFL draft which they could desperately use and have gifted it to the Jets.

Currently with tie breakers etc I believe the hawks would have the 5th pick... i mean the jets would.

xray

Reaction score
nutluck":j38587ar said:
hawkfan68":j38587ar said:

Currently with tie breakers etc I believe the hawks would have the 5th pick... i mean the jets would.

Etc. ?

nutluck

Reaction score
xray":5taom6ev said:
nutluck":5taom6ev said:
hawkfan68":5taom6ev said:

Etc. ?
tie breakers and team records

RiverDog

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2shethpn said:

You can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig. We got beat by two scores in one game, three scores in the other, dominated in the statistical department in both. But if you want to put your "positive" spin on it, then be my guest. But no amount of positive spin is going to change our record, and as Bill Parcells once said, you are what your record says you are.