Wilson lowest QB performance when expected to pass in NFL?!

Tokadub

Reaction score
[youtube]otzlgdUq8AE[/youtube]

Go to 14:10 into that youtube video and see the startling data proving Wilson is the worst QB in the league in a statistical category known as "How Quarterbacks have performed when expected to pass in 2021".

Wilson is DEAD LAST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE FOR PLAYS WHEN THE QB IS EXPECTED TO PASS IN 2021!

That would sum up why we suck so bad. Don't need to say much more...

RiverDog

Reaction score
And as noted in the HOF thread, Russell is also dead last amongst starting quarterbacks on 3rd down completion percentage, connecting on just 35.1% of his passes:

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/n ... rt=passpct

A lack of a running game, particularly short yardage running, pass protection, and play calling/scheme are all contributing factors.

Although it's based on 3+ games, Geno Smith has a very good 3rd down completion percentage, checking in at 68%, 2nd best for QB's with 10+ attempts.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
RiverDog":6y1hsjss said:
Although it's based on 3+ games, Geno Smith has a very good 3rd down completion percentage, checking in at 68%, 2nd best for QB's with 10+ attempts.

As they say, statistics don't lie but, well, you know the rest of that gem. And anyone who thinks Geno is an improvement over Russ is either not playing with a full deck, or has not watched much football in their lives.

PNW

Reaction score
Tusc2000":ji2l57ev said:
RiverDog":ji2l57ev said:

As they say, statistics don't lie but, well, you know the rest of that gem. And anyone who thinks Geno is an improvement over Russ is either not playing with a full deck, or has not watched much football in their lives.
I’m certainly not disagreeing with your point, just playing devils advocate....one QB makes 35 million a year the other makes 1,075,000 this year. Could it be possible the supporting cast around the cheaper one could be much stronger and potentially create a much better overall team? Maybe....but who really knows what this front office would do with extra money in reality. Not that I would have any faith that Geno could take us deep into the playoffs but my point is it’s not necessarily just comparing Russ to Geno.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":1lubpf6u said:

Tusc2000":1lubpf6u said:

As my professor in my first quantative analysis class in college said in his introductory remarks:

"There's liars, damn liars, and then there are statisticians."

And no, I did not say that Geno was an improvement over Russell. I only look stupid. I posted the information as food for thought, to add to the discussion. Despite his otherwise very good statistical numbers, Russell isn't playing well, and the stats posted in this thread speaks to that narrative.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":cx9cp5f0 said:

Tusc2000":cx9cp5f0 said:

PNW":cx9cp5f0 said:
I’m certainly not disagreeing with your point, just playing devils advocate....one QB makes 35 million a year the other makes 1,075,000 this year. Could it be possible the supporting cast around the cheaper one could be much stronger and potentially create a much better overall team? Maybe....but who really knows what this front office would do with extra money in reality. Not that I would have any faith that Geno could take us deep into the playoffs but my point is it’s not necessarily just comparing Russ to Geno.

If our team and Russell both continue on the trajectory that we've set for ourselves and we end the season at something like 5-12, that discussion is going to become more and more serious.

Polk738

Reaction score
IMO Russ's ego and mindset is killing the offense along with no reliable running game. I saw a small article that showed a chart where it had Russ's pass attempts in regards to locations on the field-the entire middle of the field was red to where the outsides were green-basically saying that Russ practically refuses to throw into the middle of the field-which given the eye test I would definitely agree with-this of course severely limits the plays that Waldron can call. Yeah those big crossing routes the Rams were famous for, Forget about it, not with Wilson. Russ can't get out of his own head that all he needs is one big special moon ball to save the day and fix several shitty drives during the game, it's what he's famous for, he knows his accuracy is top notch in the league- he'll throw into double coverage like it's no big deal and get picked off in the end zone. He refuses to just take what the defense gives him and would just rather hold onto the ball for 5 mins in hoping that either DK or Lockett get open 30 yards down the field. With no reliable running game, defenses will just stay in 2 high because they know our running game sucks and then just blitz the shit out of Russ on 3rd down because they know how much he sucks on 3rd down.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":2pr2do26 said:
RiverDog":2pr2do26 said:

Tusc2000":2pr2do26 said:

As my professor in my first quantative analysis class in college said in his introductory remarks:

"There's liars, damn liars, and then there are statisticians."

And no, I did not say that Geno was an improvement over Russell. I only look stupid. I posted the information as food for thought, to add to the discussion. Despite his otherwise very good statistical numbers, Russell isn't playing well, and the stats posted in this thread speaks to that narrative.
Like I've said before, it took Geno a couple games to START finding some consistency, and likewise, for Waldren & the Offensive Line to readjust to Genos' play style.
I think because he was playing against the Jags., Geno looked better than he actually is, but I will say that for the most part, it appeared that Geno learned not to run himself out of protection, and took what the Jags Defense gave him, so that can't be ignored, or dismissed.
Now I love me some Russ, and I'm not saying that he wouldn't have likely beaten them as well, but with the funk that he's been in lately? who can say for a fact that he would have.
Russ looked atrocious playing against the Packers, & much better in the loss against the Cards, but let's be honest here, He still isn't close to playing @ 100%, & the last two Defenses he's faced, are head & shoulders better than what Geno had to face, so there is that.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
PNW":2ymxtaif said:
Tusc2000":2ymxtaif said:
RiverDog":2ymxtaif said:

Russ has never taken us deep in the playoffs

nutluck

Reaction score
Personally I think the reasons Wilson's stats are that bad on 3rd down and when expected to pass has nothing to do with talent and more to do with mindset. Right now Wilson all to often is going for the big play when a checkdown would be far more likely to work and get the yards needed and keep the drive alive.

Is this because his ego has gotten so big he thinks he can always do it? I don't know

Is he doing it on purpose as a way to force his way out of the hawks? Maybe if he refuses to play how the coaches want or whats best for the team and makes it clear behind closed doors he will keep playing it "his way" until he is traded it could be, I honestly don't know and no one but Russel would know.

Or could it be any other number of reasons? yes

Sadly we won't and likely never will know. All we do know is he all to often throws deep into double coverage over taking the short easy pass on obvious passing down which is often 3rd downs, which is why these two stats are showing the same thing.

John63

Reaction score
nutluck":1c4lljmh said:
Personally I think the reasons Wilson's stats are that bad on 3rd down and when expected to pass has nothing to do with talent and more to do with mindset. Right now Wilson all to often is going for the big play when a checkdown would be far more likely to work and get the yards needed and keep the drive alive.

Is this because his ego has gotten so big he thinks he can always do it? I don't know

Is he doing it on purpose as a way to force his way out of the hawks? Maybe if he refuses to play how the coaches want or whats best for the team and makes it clear behind closed doors he will keep playing it "his way" until he is traded it could be, I honestly don't know and no one but Russel would know.

Or could it be any other number of reasons? yes

Sadly we won't and likely never will know. All we do know is he all to often throws deep into double coverage over taking the short easy pass on obvious passing down which is often 3rd downs, which is why these two stats are showing the same thing.

That's all great but is this year. What about past years? The reality is no one on offense except maybe Lockett is having a great season.

nutluck

Reaction score
John63":3bzhkzvh said:
That's all great but is this year. What about past years? The reality is no one on offense except maybe Lockett is having a great season.

At least to a point it has always been true, Wilson has a tendancy to go deep more than most QB's or it seems that way. Would have to do a deep dive into seasons and stats to know if that is true or not. As for why things are worse this season more than past ones, I think it has to do with age is catching up to his ability to scramble. I mean he was well known for the ability to run around the backfield until someone got open to throw to in the past. He has been doing that a bit less and less and especially this seasons I have seen a lot less of it. Which suggests his speed to evade is going down leading to sacks of forcing him to throw sooner. Again just speculation.

rcaido

Reaction score
You guys do know that Wilson had an injury right? Before the injury, Wilson was one of the top QBs statistically. Greenbay game really ruined his stats...

He had the best TD to Int ratio and was leader in Passer Rating. Also had 70% completion.

John63

Reaction score
rcaido":2ld6t687 said:
You guys do know that Wilson had an injury right? Before the injury, Wilson was one of the top QBs statistically. Greenbay game really ruined his stats...

He had the best TD to Int ratio and was leader in Passer Rating. Also had 70% completion.

They know that why u heard nothing till now. Also notice no note of how we are top 5 in drupped passes. Or how we lead in hits, sacks, and pressures in under 2.5 seconds and under 2 seconds and under 1.5 seconds. Or how Wilson is the best QB in the league in play action but the Hwks are bottom 5 in doing it. Or the fact every team.we have faced has said they new what was cimming on 80+ % of our plays. See most of what they show is only based on the last 2 games. Compare that to KC fans when Mahomes while.100% healthy had a stretch of 5 games were he played like crap. There reaction, it happens and it's more then just him he will get it back. Our fans reaction he sucks get rid of him. Of course we have fans that would gladly give up the SB if we could not have Wilson. Just shows u why we are considered one of the worst fan bases.

toffee

Reaction score
John63":1odqh2xs said:
rcaido":1odqh2xs said:

They know that why u heard nothing till now. Also notice no note of how we are top 5 in drupped passes. Or how we lead in hits, sacks, and pressures in under 2.5 seconds and under 2 seconds and under 1.5 seconds. Or how Wilson is the best QB in the league in play action but the Hwks are bottom 5 in doing it. Or the fact every team.we have faced has said they new what was cimming on 80+ % of our plays. See most of what they show is only based on the last 2 games. Compare that to KC fans when Mahomes while.100% healthy had a stretch of 5 games were he played like crap. There reaction, it happens and it's more then just him he will get it back. Our fans reaction he sucks get rid of him. Of course we have fans that would gladly give up the SB if we could not have Wilson. Just shows u why we are considered one of the worst fan bases.

Now, name that OC and HC worthy of our Mr. Unlimited, Russell Wilson? Certainly they won't be Pete Carroll and Shane Waldron! Either Russ will go to those worthy coaches or they will come to Hawks for the honor of coaching Russ.

Free Wilson.