Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was Doug Baldwin that great of a WR ?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Was Doug Baldwin that great of a WR ?
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:15 pm
  • I wish we had D. Baldwin back right now, a long with kease. Thoughs boy were money. :179417:
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3434
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 am
    Location: corner of 30th & plum.


  • My two favorite WRs in Seahawks history are Doug Baldwin and Bobby Engram. Two guys you could count on to go get that third down reception in the middle of traffic.

    Tyler Lockett can definitely come up clutch, but he's not the same type of receiver as Baldwin.
    DarkVictory23
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 114
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 pm


  • Elite WRs make above QB look HOF, was Angry elite? we will never know because he played with a HOF QB.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3677
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


  • I think DB was quite pedestrian :mrgreen:
    Hollandhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 329
    Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 4:53 pm


  • toffee wrote:Elite WRs make above QB look HOF, was Angry elite? we will never know because he played with a HOF QB.

    Maybe Angry made him look like a HOF QB.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6200
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • I'm not sure how serious some of these posts are but Baldwin was a fantastic receiver. Fans get enamored with this idea of size and speed for a "#1 WR" but Baldwin's career yards per target are similar to that of DKs now. Baldwin also had two seasons ('15, '16) with a better than 75% catch rate and caught a fair amount of those intermediate passes that Russ doesn't seem to trust his current receivers with.

    He does unfortunately also have the dumbest TD celebration in NFL history, and a career too short to ever qualify for him career recognition beyond Hawk fans who appreciate his role in getting them a Super Bowl win.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4710
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Was he great? In a word...yes.

    Although he will never be mentioned in the company of Rice, Largent and Moss, he'll be in the pantheon of
    Bad ass Seahawks of all time. He had above average ability, was very versatile and clutch. He was a
    Huge part of our Superbowl winning season ( humbly of course). I wish #14 could focus his anger and
    wrath like our angry Doug used to. It's what made #89 great.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4662
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • DarkVictory23 wrote:My two favorite WRs in Seahawks history are Doug Baldwin and Bobby Engram. Two guys you could count on to go get that third down reception in the middle of traffic.

    Tyler Lockett can definitely come up clutch, but he's not the same type of receiver as Baldwin.


    You are damn close to my sentiments. Lockett is a fantastic receiver but Baldwin and Engram were next level amazing, especially slot, 3rd down heroes. Of course we throw Largent and even Blades in there, but Baldwin and Engram were simply MONEY on 3rd down coverages.

    I would love to see both in the RoH but I doubt it.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 15260
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Was Doug Baldwin that great of a WR ?
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:15 pm
  • The answer to the OP's question is yes.

    Weird anyone should need to ask.

    Pretty crazy that we got both Doug Baldwin and Richard Sherman from that Stanford team.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5517
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Was Doug Baldwin that great of a WR ?
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:29 pm
  • :rumble:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:Elite WRs make above QB look HOF, was Angry elite? we will never know because he played with a HOF QB.

    Maybe Angry made him look like a HOF QB.

    Doug hasn't been shy about his frustrations with Russ.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3201
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • TwistedHusky wrote:The answer to the OP's question is yes.

    Weird anyone should need to ask.

    Pretty crazy that we got both Doug Baldwin and Richard Sherman from that Stanford team.

    And we got the both for just a 5th rounder!
    evergreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 787
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:The answer to the OP's question is yes.

    Weird anyone should need to ask.

    Pretty crazy that we got both Doug Baldwin and Richard Sherman from that Stanford team.


    The trajectory of both our Offense & Defense since both are no longer playing for us, is pretty telling.
    Baldwin was Russ' one constant, that he could count on for moving the sticks, and since his retirement, the number of 3 & outs have gone up...Coincidence?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7745
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:48 pm


  • pinksheets wrote::rumble:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:Elite WRs make above QB look HOF, was Angry elite? we will never know because he played with a HOF QB.

    Maybe Angry made him look like a HOF QB.

    Doug hasn't been shy about his frustrations with Russ.


    Very little doubt that Wilson - Angry made offense work in '14-'17 or so. The remarkable on field connection didn't seem to extend to off field friendship, which is a shame. I would pay to get Angry's opinion on our current struggle and ways to move forward. Anyone got ADB's cell? Both Sherm and Angry were high Football IQ guys, they wouldn't blessed with super human physical abilities, they used their skills and IQ to excel, quite different from Russ.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3677
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


  • Here's a recent interview. Nothing about the current Hawks, but good little insight into ADB post retirement

    https://youtu.be/7Ghi6BN3I9s
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 845
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


  • toffee wrote:
    pinksheets wrote::rumble:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:Elite WRs make above QB look HOF, was Angry elite? we will never know because he played with a HOF QB.

    Maybe Angry made him look like a HOF QB.

    Doug hasn't been shy about his frustrations with Russ.


    Very little doubt that Wilson - Angry made offense work in '14-'17 or so. The remarkable on field connection didn't seem to extend to off field friendship, which is a shame. I would pay to get Angry's opinion on our current struggle and ways to move forward. Anyone got ADB's cell? Both Sherm and Angry were high Football IQ guys, they wouldn't blessed with super human physical abilities, they used their skills and IQ to excel, quite different from Russ.


    I think it's telling that ADB doesn't speak on the subject really. Marvin Harrison was always effusive in his praise for Manning. Rice for Montana, the many wr's that played for Favre all say he was the best...

    The only thing I've ever hear ADB say when asked point blank about Russ was, after a pause and with a measured delivery... 'untapped potential'. He acknowledged Andrew Luck as the best he ever played with. Tate didn't rank Russ in his top 3.

    I think ADB is a class act as human beings go. The dude is selfless and played that way. He was no doubt in my opinion second only to Largent in terms of those to wear Seahawk blue at WR. His hands were incredible, his route running, razor precise. He was quick, wicked smart, and tough as nails. He not only made Russ better, he was the key cog that made the offense go. Had he played elsewhere, I dont think there'd be a question as to how great he was. It's a shame his route running ability within the context of a play is mostly lost due to his making his money as Russ's scramble drill go-to. He was rarely covered well enough to warrant not being given a chance at the ball. Miss the guy.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 789
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 pm
    Location: Cockeysville, Md


  • OOOOh Angry Doug was a fantastic WR but even more than that he was a great locker room guy...I really miss angry Doug...

    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Was Doug Baldwin that great of a WR ?
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:47 pm
  • LTH wrote:OOOOh Angry Doug was a fantastic WR but even more than that he was a great locker room guy...I really miss angry Doug...

    LTH


    He and Richard were team leaders, called the good and the bad out and protected the team, maybe not looked kindly on by Pete at all times because they held them and coaches accountable also.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 37489
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Was Doug Baldwin that great of a WR ?
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:04 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    LTH wrote:OOOOh Angry Doug was a fantastic WR but even more than that he was a great locker room guy...I really miss angry Doug...

    LTH


    He and Richard were team leaders, called the good and the bad out and protected the team, maybe not looked kindly on by Pete at all times because they held them and coaches accountable also.
    And the team ain't quite the same without those Stanford boys.

    Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3677
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm




It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online