Was Doug Baldwin that great of a WR ?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
My two favorite WRs in Seahawks history are Doug Baldwin and Bobby Engram. Two guys you could count on to go get that third down reception in the middle of traffic.

Tyler Lockett can definitely come up clutch, but he's not the same type of receiver as Baldwin.

toffee

Reaction score
Elite WRs make above QB look HOF, was Angry elite? we will never know because he played with a HOF QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
toffee":2rignylv said:
Elite WRs make above QB look HOF, was Angry elite? we will never know because he played with a HOF QB.
Maybe Angry made him look like a HOF QB.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm not sure how serious some of these posts are but Baldwin was a fantastic receiver. Fans get enamored with this idea of size and speed for a "#1 WR" but Baldwin's career yards per target are similar to that of DKs now. Baldwin also had two seasons ('15, '16) with a better than 75% catch rate and caught a fair amount of those intermediate passes that Russ doesn't seem to trust his current receivers with.

He does unfortunately also have the dumbest TD celebration in NFL history, and a career too short to ever qualify for him career recognition beyond Hawk fans who appreciate his role in getting them a Super Bowl win.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Was he great? In a word...yes.

Although he will never be mentioned in the company of Rice, Largent and Moss, he'll be in the pantheon of
Bad ass Seahawks of all time. He had above average ability, was very versatile and clutch. He was a
Huge part of our Superbowl winning season ( humbly of course). I wish #14 could focus his anger and
wrath like our angry Doug used to. It's what made #89 great.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
DarkVictory23":o0s3j7xn said:
My two favorite WRs in Seahawks history are Doug Baldwin and Bobby Engram. Two guys you could count on to go get that third down reception in the middle of traffic.

Tyler Lockett can definitely come up clutch, but he's not the same type of receiver as Baldwin.

You are damn close to my sentiments. Lockett is a fantastic receiver but Baldwin and Engram were next level amazing, especially slot, 3rd down heroes. Of course we throw Largent and even Blades in there, but Baldwin and Engram were simply MONEY on 3rd down coverages.

I would love to see both in the RoH but I doubt it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The answer to the OP's question is yes.

Weird anyone should need to ask.

Pretty crazy that we got both Doug Baldwin and Richard Sherman from that Stanford team.

pinksheets

Reaction score
:rumble:
IndyHawk":7fy075c3 said:
toffee":7fy075c3 said:
Doug hasn't been shy about his frustrations with Russ.

evergreen

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19b8j0od said:

Pretty crazy that we got both Doug Baldwin and Richard Sherman from that Stanford team.
And we got the both for just a 5th rounder!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1uruujh7 said:

The trajectory of both our Offense & Defense since both are no longer playing for us, is pretty telling.
Baldwin was Russ' one constant, that he could count on for moving the sticks, and since his retirement, the number of 3 & outs have gone up...Coincidence?

toffee

Reaction score
pinksheets":vsuajp6m said:
IndyHawk":vsuajp6m said:
toffee":vsuajp6m said:

Very little doubt that Wilson - Angry made offense work in '14-'17 or so. The remarkable on field connection didn't seem to extend to off field friendship, which is a shame. I would pay to get Angry's opinion on our current struggle and ways to move forward. Anyone got ADB's cell? Both Sherm and Angry were high Football IQ guys, they wouldn't blessed with super human physical abilities, they used their skills and IQ to excel, quite different from Russ.

keasley45

Reaction score
toffee":10xv8ooo said:
pinksheets":10xv8ooo said:
IndyHawk":10xv8ooo said:
toffee":10xv8ooo said:

Very little doubt that Wilson - Angry made offense work in '14-'17 or so. The remarkable on field connection didn't seem to extend to off field friendship, which is a shame. I would pay to get Angry's opinion on our current struggle and ways to move forward. Anyone got ADB's cell? Both Sherm and Angry were high Football IQ guys, they wouldn't blessed with super human physical abilities, they used their skills and IQ to excel, quite different from Russ.

I think it's telling that ADB doesn't speak on the subject really. Marvin Harrison was always effusive in his praise for Manning. Rice for Montana, the many wr's that played for Favre all say he was the best...

The only thing I've ever hear ADB say when asked point blank about Russ was, after a pause and with a measured delivery... 'untapped potential'. He acknowledged Andrew Luck as the best he ever played with. Tate didn't rank Russ in his top 3.

I think ADB is a class act as human beings go. The dude is selfless and played that way. He was no doubt in my opinion second only to Largent in terms of those to wear Seahawk blue at WR. His hands were incredible, his route running, razor precise. He was quick, wicked smart, and tough as nails. He not only made Russ better, he was the key cog that made the offense go. Had he played elsewhere, I dont think there'd be a question as to how great he was. It's a shame his route running ability within the context of a play is mostly lost due to his making his money as Russ's scramble drill go-to. He was rarely covered well enough to warrant not being given a chance at the ball. Miss the guy.

LTH

Reaction score
OOOOh Angry Doug was a fantastic WR but even more than that he was a great locker room guy...I really miss angry Doug...

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":3thae5m2 said:
OOOOh Angry Doug was a fantastic WR but even more than that he was a great locker room guy...I really miss angry Doug...

LTH

He and Richard were team leaders, called the good and the bad out and protected the team, maybe not looked kindly on by Pete at all times because they held them and coaches accountable also.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":dg3sp39r said:
LTH":dg3sp39r said:

LTH

He and Richard were team leaders, called the good and the bad out and protected the team, maybe not looked kindly on by Pete at all times because they held them and coaches accountable also.
And the team ain't quite the same without those Stanford boys.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk