Defense is legit

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Sure it was the Heinke led WFT, but the defense played a hell of a game seeing as they had to pretty much play the entire game due to being abandoned by the offense. They aren't that far off from being the real deal. Next year they should cut Dunlap and "maybe" move Wagner if they can get the right comp. Bring in some more pass rush help, as well as the 3 tech and CB positions and they should be good to go.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Think how they would be if they didn't have to play a double header every week.

Seattle_Tsunami

Reaction score
rjdriver":1q96w7bd said:

Good point. So many yards given up in the 2nd half because of how gassed they were. They really are playing the equivalent of two games in one.

getnasty

Reaction score
Considering the offense can't stay on the field and the refs screwed them at the end of the half i thought they played well and have for quite some time now.

massari

Reaction score
Seattle_Tsunami":380hpnlj said:
rjdriver":380hpnlj said:

Good point. So many yards given up in the 2nd half because of how gassed they were. They really are playing the equivalent of two games in one.
Let's wait to see the snap counts. Last week fans were saying the same thing, except::

Dunlap 17 snaps
Robinson 19
Mone 27
Neal 11
Barton 9

If starters were truly gassed, these guys would've had a lot more snaps than they did.

seabowl

Reaction score
massari":3afb3668 said:
Seattle_Tsunami":3afb3668 said:
rjdriver":3afb3668 said:

Let's wait to see the snap counts. Last week fans were saying the same thing, except::

Dunlap 17 snaps
Robinson 19
Mone 27
Neal 11
Barton 9

If starters were truly gassed, these guys would've had a lot more snaps than they did.

Dunlap changing his name to Done-lap. Has he made even 1 impact play this year?

keasley45

Reaction score
massari":3kh3gjtr said:
Seattle_Tsunami":3kh3gjtr said:
rjdriver":3kh3gjtr said:

Dunlap 17 snaps
Robinson 19
Mone 27
Neal 11
Barton 9

Washington ran almost 80 play. You need to see the snap count?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
They really are. Have we ever really been 'out' of any games before the fourth quarter? Maybe one (though I can't think of it off the top of my head)?

We keep getting pissed because we see little things here or there that frustrate us, but the fact is, we see our D on the field for twice as long as our offense right now. Of course there's going to be more frustrating moments. But they kept us in a game where we literally scored ZERO point for the entire game right up until the fourth quarter.

And they did it again.

I think the running theme you see sometimes on this board about how Ken Norton is our 'worst' coordinator or our defense is bad needs to be seriously reevaluated.

massari

Reaction score
keasley45":34usw93h said:
Identical to last week, the game with all the low snap counts. So yes, keasley45, let's see the snap counts before jumping to conclusions.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our defense has been good enough in a Store Brand Value sort of way. Guys like Green, Mone, Woods, Hyder, Ford, Dunlap, Brooks, and Mayowa are perfectly adequate to win games with an inexpensive defense and strong offense. We have a bunch of cheap players who are playing decently, and the defense is definitely not our problem. The few calling it the worst defense in NFL history should feel appropriately silly about their takes.

That being said, if we can't get this thing on offense figured out then I don't think we have the building blocks for an elite defense either. None of our front seven and depth seem particularly good besides Bobby. With Bobby getting older I think we'd need a complete rebuild of our DT, DE and LBs to really have a chance at being elite on defense again.

keasley45

Reaction score
massari":2frlmc0u said:
keasley45":2frlmc0u said:
Identical to last week, the game with all the low snap counts. So yes, keasley45, let's see the snap counts before jumping to conclusions.

80 plays is 80 plays. Greater than 2x TOP deficit is what it is. There are no conclusions to jump to.

keasley45

Reaction score
AgentDib":1pk0gy2k said:
Our defense has been good enough in a Store Brand Value sort of way. Guys like Green, Mone, Woods, Hyder, Ford, Dunlap, Brooks, and Mayowa are perfectly adequate to win games with an inexpensive defense and strong offense. We have a bunch of cheap players who are playing decently, and the defense is definitely not our problem. The few calling it the worst defense in NFL history should feel appropriately silly about their takes.

That being said, if we can't get this thing on offense figured out then I don't think we have the building blocks for an elite defense either. None of our front seven and depth seem particularly good besides Bobby. With Bobby getting older I think we'd need a complete rebuild of our DT, DE and LBs to really have a chance at being elite on defense again.

I think we need interior DL help... run stuffer and somebody with some push. If we had that, the edge play would be better. I think Dunlap has disappeared because Reed is no longer inside forcing the OL to pay attention there. If they can single up our guys inside... It seriously cripples your outside rush.

The rest? Brooks (solid and spectacular at times and only getting better), Bobby is Bobby, i dont think theres a better safety duo out there, Taylor is a star in the making, and reed and Brown at CB are solid and potentially a strength.

Agree though that i dont see us doing anything this year with them but wearing them out if we dont get better O play.

Its obvious though that that side of the ball has a ton of pride and little quit. I think they're pissed. Granted, the long drives in the first half this week and against AZ were self inflicted wounds, but last week they were down 2 CBs with no time to scheme to cover the weakness.

This week i think they tightened up well in the 2nd half.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The defenses is nowhere close to being legit. They are awful. They can’t get off the field. They can’t tackle. They can’t get near enough pressure on the QB. Etc,,, How are people still defending that unit? Another no name running back goes for over 100 yet again. They are as much to blame for the lopsided TOP as the offense.

toffee

Reaction score
this defense, if the boys keep at current level or improving a bit, will be the vehicle that save Pete's job. Make no mistake, Pete's on borrowed time, I shan't be surprised that Jody's boys let Pete know if he couldn't fix the defense, he's gone.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":q7mkjiwv said:
The defenses is nowhere close to being legit. They are awful. They can’t get off the field. They can’t tackle. They can’t get near enough pressure on the QB. Etc,,, How are people still defending that unit? Another no name running back goes for over 100 yet again. They are as much to blame for the lopsided TOP as the offense.

First reply I've agreed with you on. Good job!!!

Chapow

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":fqbt2zgu said:

Maybe people are defending that unit because they are giving up the 6th fewest points per game of any defense in the league.

Meanwhile, the offense is going 3 and out over and over and over again, until they finallly get 1 first down before punting again. Our offense is straight up dysfunctional. They are a steaming pile of dog shit that can't even execute the simplest of play calls. It is honestly some of the worst football I've ever seen in my life.

The defense is absolutely not the problem. There are only 5 teams in the league giving up fewer points per game than we are. If we had even a remotely competent offense, this team would have a winning record right now.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Chapow":2g0yu0a9 said:
pittpnthrs":2g0yu0a9 said:

Maybe people are defending that unit because they are giving up the 6th fewest points per game of any defense in the league.

Meanwhile, the offense is going 3 and out over and over and over again, until they finallly get 1 first down before punting again. Our offense is straight up dysfunctional. They are a steaming pile of dog $h!t that can't even execute the simplest of play calls. It is honestly some of the worst football I've ever seen in my life.

The defense is absolutely not the problem. There are only 5 teams in the league giving up fewer points per game than we are. If we had even a remotely competent offense, this team would have a winning record right now.

The defense is absolutely part of the problem. 6th in the league for points scored? That’s because teams have numerous 7 to 8 minute drives on them. Other teams don’t score more on them because they run out of time, not because they can’t.

James in PA

Reaction score
Our offense and our defense both suck. Can't wait for Pete, Shane, and KNJ to all return next year for more of the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":z56wgkfm said:
They refuse to admit the house is on fire…. And a water hose ain’t putting it out

hawker84

Reaction score
keasley45":382hw5b0 said:
AgentDib":382hw5b0 said:

I think we need interior DL help... run stuffer and somebody with some push. If we had that, the edge play would be better. I think Dunlap has disappeared because Reed is no longer inside forcing the OL to pay attention there. If they can single up our guys inside... It seriously cripples your outside rush.

The rest? Brooks (solid and spectacular at times and only getting better), Bobby is Bobby, i dont think theres a better safety duo out there, Taylor is a star in the making, and reed and Brown at CB are solid and potentially a strength.

Agree though that i dont see us doing anything this year with them but wearing them out if we dont get better O play.

Its obvious though that that side of the ball has a ton of pride and little quit. I think they're pissed. Granted, the long drives in the first half this week and against AZ were self inflicted wounds, but last week they were down 2 CBs with no time to scheme to cover the weakness.

This week i think they tightened up well in the 2nd half.

Yep....100... especially interior d line. Must improve there...