Louis Riddiuck calling out D scheme

seabowl

Reaction score
Interesting that yet another announcer is calling out the Seattle coaching staff for perplexing schemes and play calls. Tonight Louis Riddiuck called out the zone scheme on D that leaves wr’s and backs wide open play after play after play. Said something to the effect that they need to go back to man.

Many of us have said this for at least two years now as the zone D is a joke. All you need to do is look at the stats of the QB’s from our opponents to see their completion percentage to know that scheme of used most of the game sucks.

Could you imagine if this D were schemed correctly and I’d we had even just an average O how much better they would be?

Disappointing to say the least.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
It was clear from the very first series that we were getting out-schemed.
In what defensive scheme does it make sense to have Al Woods covering guys?

getnasty

Reaction score
Defense not the problem and outside of Wagner, Diggs and Adams nobody on that defense is above average.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
getnasty":3p9up6nv said:
Defense not the problem and outside of Wagner, Diggs and Adams nobody on that defense is above average.

Brooks and Taylor are

getnasty

Reaction score
seabowl":1etbiyj0 said:
getnasty":1etbiyj0 said:

Brooks and Taylor are

I said above average.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Gave up 17 in a Prime time game, on the road. Defense is not why we lost this game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
seabowl":18yu121d said:
getnasty":18yu121d said:
Brooks and Taylor are
This team has at least two more wins this season with KJ Wright playing instead of Brooks. I get that they wanted to play their draft pick, but for every big play he's made Brooks has been a liability on another.

Taylor shows some promise, but he's far from above average in 2021. I hope he'll be good next year.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
getnasty":w8s9ptj7 said:
seabowl":w8s9ptj7 said:
getnasty":w8s9ptj7 said:

Brooks and Taylor are

I said above average.

In 11 games Brooks has 98 tackles. Had 14 tonight. Who’s above average for you? Butkus?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
nwHawk":2qtbybxh said:
Gave up 17 in a Prime time game, on the road. Defense is not why we lost this game.

Wrong.

Offense can take more time of possession and maybe slow down opposing offenses, but it is up to the d to stop multiple 9 play scoring drives. Only so many screens and passes to the rb before we should proceed to stop them. Teams are running similar offensive concepts on us. Every team does the same thing. Throw under or over are lbs. Screen screen screen. Occasional middle deep wr. The defense can play better.

Not even looking at stats...I bet are d is on par with the worst of teams allowing pass yards a game. And it doesn't come from deep passes. It's all short. Which means the completion percentage against us is extremely high.

keasley45

Reaction score
seabowl":f3pctziq said:
getnasty":f3pctziq said:
seabowl":f3pctziq said:
getnasty":f3pctziq said:

Brooks and Taylor are

I said above average.

In 11 games Brooks has 98 tackles. Had 14 tonight. Who’s above average for you? Butkus?

Brooks is legit. So is Taylor, Brown at CB looks special, and Reed opposite him makes plays regularly.

We just have no push inside, nor enough beef there to clog things up without selling out and over-pursuing.

PNW

Reaction score
Taylor needs some work on setting the edge for run defense, I cant count how many times he ran up the field as the RB ran right past his gap. He needs to watch some Chris Clemons film.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
seabowl":17au4vuz said:
getnasty":17au4vuz said:
seabowl":17au4vuz said:
getnasty":17au4vuz said:

Brooks and Taylor are

I said above average.

Looking at just tackles is a reductionist way at looking at things. If you key in on him you'll see a player that is very hot and cold. He can absolutely dominate games, but there are also times where he's a huge liability in games.

Brooks is good at setting the edge and blowing up run plays but his coverage skills are well below average. On passing downs, often times he gets taken to task. He gets exploited a lot by opposing offensive coordinators and he just looks lost out there at times in passing situations.

On run D he also can be inconsistent. Sometimes he will over pursue himself out of the play, though he's been getting more disciplined here. KJ Wright was a better player, but Brooks is still young.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Linebackers are killing us in the passing game. They're either too far out of position or too slow, in Wagners case to close on underneath stuff. It's why they struggle at times to get off the field. A dump off that used to 3/4 yards is turning into 7-10 yards too often. That and pash rush not finishing plays when they get home

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1q7as7ok said:
Linebackers are killing us in the passing game. They're either too far out of position or too slow, in Wagners case to close on underneath stuff. It's why they struggle at times to get off the field. A dump off that used to 3/4 yards is turning into 7-10 yards too often. That and pash rush not finishing plays when they get home

Hmm...some one gets it

Tusc2000

Reaction score
nwHawk":krqaziit said:

Correct. And when the D was on the field as much as they were last night, holding them to 17 points was not bad at all. If the O can't score 17 points, you're typically going to lose in this league.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
This D cannot play the zone scheme. How many more games or seasons do we need proof of this?

rjdriver

Reaction score
To digress a little bit....

.NET can be pretty hard on writers and commentators ...

But I really enjoy listening to Riddiuck. He seems overly prepared, keen to the nuances of the game, incredibly articulate and knowledgeable, all while lacking some of the quirks that drive me crazy about other color commentators in the league.

I can see him in managing a team someday if he can handle the paycut. (maybe he has already...don't know his history)

ZagHawk

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of folks who blame TOP disparity on the offense only, but they fail to recognize the defensive scheme is also a key contributor to that disparity which allows other teams to dink and dunk small chunk plays all the way up the field until the defense finally clamps down in the red zone. This has been an issue even with the LOB, but the difference is the LOB had D-Lineman that midway through the series would get to the QB or punch the ball out or ball hawking secondary that got those picks to negate the entire drive vs give up 3 points.

The point is, there is a lot of blame to go around for why the team is the way it is and the D certainly deserves its fair share of it at least not for this game IMO. For the Packers game however, where it was 0-3 all the way to the 4th quarter, yeah i'll give the defense a pass for that one.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
AgentDib":2uxvb9it said:
seabowl":2uxvb9it said:
getnasty":2uxvb9it said:
Brooks and Taylor are
This team has at least two more wins this season with KJ Wright playing instead of Brooks. I get that they wanted to play their draft pick, but for every big play he's made Brooks has been a liability on another.

Taylor shows some promise, but he's far from above average in 2021. I hope he'll be good next year.

That's nonsense, Brooks is playing great. He's a much better cover guy than KJ.

If the offense could do ANYTHING right we'd have at least 2 more wins.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The defence has been in need of a significant scheme change for a few seasons now, their record in defending 3rd down plays is laughable and a sad commentary on on how out of ideas the defensive coaching staff presently appears to be.