All I Saw Tonight...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Russell Wilson is clearly not healthy. You cannot tell me all those overthrows are anything other than his finger affecting his trajectory and ability to throw the ball accurately. Sure he can get some decent balls out here and there but anyone who can't see he is not able to throw accurately and effectively due to his finger injury which is NOT FULLY HEALED is a damn fool.

But what ANGERS me to no end is that our head coach, Pete Carroll, is too afraid to do the right thing and sit Russell in favor of a healthy Geno Smith. He is so afraid of the aftermath of doing that, whether it's from Russ, the media, or fans, or hell, even ownership...He cowers and does nothing.

Feels like a lame duck to me.

This is a game we would have won 10 out of 10 times in the past 10 years.

The season is lost. And what an utter shame. With such talent. With better coaching and scheming we are still in the hunt for the division.

The fat lady has sung.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Feels like de ja vu. Pete will ride with his qb to the detriment of his team. They will eventually grow tired of it and turn on him. Seen this movie before.

massari

Reaction score
He probably still feels this shell of Wilson gives them a better chance to win than Geno Smith, which may be true.

Hopefully now at 3-8, they just rest him for the remainder of the season.

James in PA

Reaction score
"ALWAYS COMPETE ..... unless it pertains to Russell Wilson."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
James in PA":3lqv6509 said:

This must be the name of Pete’s new book :lol:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thanks for the analysis, Aros. Once again, one of Carroll's biggest flaws is excessive loyalty to underperforming assistant coaches, and in this case, extended to Russell. One could also argue Carroll has a flaw of not fixing issues and dysfunction quickly enough. That one is debatable, because Carroll & assistants have fixed many things, so it could be argued the issue is doing too many rash, ill-advised things in the first place that create a need for fixing. For example, the Harvin trade.

Anyway, it feels like Carroll is being excessively loyal to/influenced by his star QB, to the point where it hurts the team. Russell's accuracy is one of his biggest assets, and lately it's not been a strength for him.

The 3rd down struggles are positively baffling. The role of Shane Waldron is baffling. Is it Pete, Russell, or Waldron who is primarily responsible? Does Pete hamstring Waldron? Hard to know, with the limited data we have.

hawker84

Reaction score
James in PA":2928vi0v said:

So you're saying Geno Smith, the "human turnover machine" is better than Wilson right now? Gives us a better chance to win over Wilson right now? That what you're saying?

There's a reason why a former 1st rounder was reduced to beung a career back up... he sucks...

nwHawk

Reaction score
Russ is not healthy and he should be sitting. But any way you slice it the Hawks are 2-6 this season in games he has started. Not good.

Optimus25

Reaction score
hawker84":g3qyxvyf said:
James in PA":g3qyxvyf said:

So you're saying Geno Smith, the "human turnover machine" is better than Wilson right now? Gives us a better chance to win over Wilson right now? That what you're saying?

There's a reason why a former 1st rounder was reduced to beung a career back up... he sucks...

Have you been under a rock the past three weeks?

Rick Mirer would give us a better chance of winning than Russell Wilson.

And I’m not talking 1994 Rick. I’m talking 51 year old off the street Rick.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
hawker84":23vvkh1n said:
James in PA":23vvkh1n said:

Totally agree. Russ at 50% is better than Geno at 100%. Russ at least gave us a shot at the end. Geno was more likely to have been strip-sacked on the 3rd play. If everything is calm and perfect (playing the Jaguars, getting into a rhythm), Geno can be okay, but things are rarely perfect, and he chokes under pressure. That's why he's a career backup.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawker84":33keihk2 said:
James in PA":33keihk2 said:

Geno really isn't that turnover prone. Not in this offense.

He played a good stretch in relief.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1ngelbvu said:
hawker84":1ngelbvu said:
James in PA":1ngelbvu said:

Yes he is turnover prone.

No, he did not play at all good.

Whenever things go 100% right and he gets into a rhythm, and he plays a D like the Jags, Geno looks like a good QB.

Whenever things are not 100%, Geno does not look like a good QB.

It is hard to find a quality backup QB these days. Best you can hope for, is if he needs to fill in, in the middle of a game where we're ahead, he can manage the offense in a way that protects the lead. Aside from that, don't expect much.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Why are we trashing Geno? Nobody's suggested he should be a long-term replacement for Russ.

Geno has a sub 1m cap hit and has had fewer reps in a new scheme than the rest of the offense which is also struggling with it. When called on with limited preparation he was respectable with an 8.0 AY/A that was driven down to 5.93 ANY/A by 13 sacks. Some of those sacks were his fault and some weren't, but he's one of like six players on offense who have played up to their cap hit this year.

Our few bargains on offense
Collins (0.8m), Geno (1m), Dissly (1m), Metcalf (1.2m), Everett (4m), Lockett (8m)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maybe Pete should go with Geno but I don't believe they would have had any better results than what we're seeing now. Not trashing Geno, but that's just what he is. They Seahawks couldn't beat the Saints or the Steelers with him at QB. Both teams are on the downslide. The Lions almost beat the Steelers.

What I saw last night was an Oline (specifically Pocic and Fuller) who looked like they have given up on the season. When there are 3-4 guys in your face right at the snap, it becomes very difficult. Russ is lucky he didn't get sacked more than twice. Geno Smith wouldn't have fared any better under the circumstances. While Russ could have been better, he was not the main reason in the loss. It was that they were decimated by WFT in the trenches - DL/OL. That even after WFT was down to their 3rd string center.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2veundm3 said:
Maelstrom787":2veundm3 said:
hawker84":2veundm3 said:
James in PA":2veundm3 said:

Yes he is turnover prone.

No, he did not play at all good.

Whenever things go 100% right and he gets into a rhythm, and he plays a D like the Jags, Geno looks like a good QB.

Whenever things are not 100%, Geno does not look like a good QB.

It is hard to find a quality backup QB these days. Best you can hope for, is if he needs to fill in, in the middle of a game where we're ahead, he can manage the offense in a way that protects the lead. Aside from that, don't expect much.

According to absolutely nothing recent is Geno turnover prone. He had two of them in 4 games, one of which was caused by Tyler Lockett falling on his face.

Regardless, this isn't me advocating for Geno as a long term answer - but we really don't need to keep making shit up. He played fine relative to how he's expected to play, and he did not show a predisposition for turning the ball over.

Optimus25

Reaction score
hawkfan68":198wiaup said:
Maybe Pete should go with Geno but I don't believe they would have had any better results than what we're seeing now. Not trashing Geno, but that's just what he is. They Seahawks couldn't beat the Saints or the Steelers with him at QB. Both teams are on the downslide. The Lions almost beat the Steelers.

What I saw last night was an Oline (specifically Pocic and Fuller) who looked like they have given up on the season. When there are 3-4 guys in your face right at the snap, it becomes very difficult. Russ is lucky he didn't get sacked more than twice. Geno Smith wouldn't have fared any better under the circumstances. While Russ could have been better, he was not the main reason in the loss. It was that they were decimated by WFT in the trenches - DL/OL. That even after WFT was down to their 3rd string center.

Here we go. The too much pressure excuses…

He didn’t have too much pressure when he missed a read deep middle and instead chucked it to a not open DK.

One of the sacks he didn’t have to take also. Just held the ball forever and then inexplicably took the sack that no other QB in the league would have. This is the time of year you see more interior pressure and elite QBs are supposed to get the ball out to the correct read.

Between Shane and Russ we just flat out sucked and there is no way on earth Geno would have done worse. It’s just not even possible unless he took every snap and threw it in the stands.

Boycie

Reaction score
Might be a good idea to shut RW down for the year so as not to hurt his trade value more? Spin it as the season was lost, and we want him to heal up.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":17o18wjy said:
Might be a good idea to shut RW down for the year so as not to hurt his trade value more? Spin it as the season was lost, and we want him to heal up.

Yeah, seems like Russell being "figured out" by the rest of the league could already be killing his trade value, magnified by his recent ineffective play. Ever since the Cards overtime loss during the failed "Let Russ cook" campaign, the game where the Cards figured out in 4Q & OT that 2 deep safeties was the way to perplex and confuse Russell, the rest of the league seems to have had his number.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
olyfan63":2skqhj9u said:
Ace_Rimmer":2skqhj9u said:

Yeah, seems like Russell being "figured out" by the rest of the league could already be killing his trade value, magnified by his recent ineffective play. Ever since the Cards overtime loss during the failed "Let Russ cook" campaign, the game where the Cards figured out in 4Q & OT that 2 deep safeties was the way to perplex and confuse Russell, the rest of the league seems to have had his number.

How does shutting Russell down help his trade value?

You'd be shutting him down at the bottom of his trade value, injured and playing terribly. You have to keep running him out there and hope he improves. That's it, that's your trade value.........because benching Russell now tells the rest of the league he's done.

Elemas

Reaction score
One of these guys will be gone (PC or Russ). I’d rather it be the former.

3-7…4th and 1…and Pete goes back to the old draw em offsides trick. Playing for PC on O has to be demotivating…

Russ doesn’t look right…at all. I believe he’s tired of being under Pete’s reigns and let’s be honest…there’s little chance that his finger is NOT affecting him.

I’m all for cleaning house. As much as I like RW and think he has years left in the tank, we’d be doing him justice by sending him to a good team while hopefully reaping multiple 1st round picks.