Russ this Pete that

BamKam

Reaction score
Yet John Schneider gets maybe 1/10th of the posts about his role in this mess and in my opinion he has been the worst of them all over the past 5 years. This roster has decayed so badly due to terrible drafts and roster moves.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I think it is because everyone thinks Pete controls everything, which may be true. For example I am 100% convinced Pete wanted Jamal Adams so bad he told Schneider to make it happen no matter the cost. That being said, all three of them are responsible. The Seahawks need a fresh start and I wouldn't be opposed to all three being gone.

OP
OP
B

BamKam

Reaction score
iigakusei":2eylk2ov said:
I think it is because everyone thinks Pete controls everything, which may be true. For example I am 100% convinced Pete wanted Jamal Adams so bad he told Schneider to make it happen no matter the cost. That being said, all three of them are responsible. The Seahawks need a fresh start and I wouldn't be opposed to all three being gone.

Agreed they all need to be gone, it is time to turn the page. Greatest run in Seahawk history but all things must come to an end and the longer we try and hang on we will just suffer from mediocre to bad seasons. The window has been closed for awhile.

LTH

Reaction score
BamKam":2eivnpj6 said:
Yet John Schneider gets maybe 1/10th of the posts about his role in this mess and in my opinion he has been the worst of them all over the past 5 years. This roster has decayed so badly due to terrible drafts and roster moves.

I think people don't understand how this works. The Hawks have been picking in the bottom of the draft for ten years or better. what does that mean? well... that means that most of the NFL gets the chance to pick better players than the Hawks do. so that puts the Hawks in position to have to take chances in the draft to remain competitive.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm liking what I'm seeing from Ugo Amadi, Tre Brown, Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson, from Jordyn Brooks even Jamal Adams (not a draft pick) I'm liking what I'm seeing from Metcalf and Lewis. So as some of the picks have not worked out this team has the talent to be competitive. as the D has Showen this...

I'm really liking this Defense ... the Hawks have played some of the best teams in the NFL and nobody is blowing them out they are competitive in every game...

So as you can point out some players that didn't work out, I'm unsure that the roster has decayed so badly because of terrible drafts and roster moves... as this year has not worked out the good news is the hawks are going to get a better draft order this year yeah they don't have a first round pick but they are going to get a good second round pick and who knows what JS will do to get that first pick back. it will be an interesting draft.

LTH

Tusc2000

Reaction score
BamKam":3q03a5d7 said:

Very true. In the last 6 years of draft picks, John's picked only 2 players who you could even remotely call "stars." That's DK Metcalf and Shaquille Griffin, and even those two are a bit of a stretch. And one isn;t even on the roster any more.

There have been some decent players drafted, but most were wash outs. At some point, John has to take responsibility for this poor performance. Pete may be the CEO, but that doesn;t mean he does everyone's job for them.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Drafting poorly for multiple years in a row makes it hard for any franchise to field a winning team. Russel's "miracles" and Pete's "diamonds" aside, the 2013-2019 drafts are rearing their ugly heads with the current situation of this team.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Reasonable POV's on both ends. I'm in the "let him stay" to see what he can do unbridled and I'd like him around for his abilty to pick QB's when the time comes. No one knows to what extent he's Pete's gimp from Pulp Fiction

We actually need two GM's at draft time.
John to draft in rounds 3-7
Anyone else to draft in rounds 1-2

classicaaron

Reaction score
id get rid of pete and john immediately. id keep russ for another year and let him finish his contract out and see how he plays under a new regime. if he stinks or doesnt get it then dont renew the contract. could that cost you possible picks from a trade, absolutely. but i think the downside of getting rid of a still possibly elite player that is hindered by an ancient delusional coach far outweighs it.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I’d like to see what Jon can do without the .. what VP or President of football operations Pete Carroll .. so basically Jon’s boss?

Tical21

Reaction score
Any of the drafting, trades or FA acquisitions should have gotten any GM fired.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The reason Schneider doesn't get as much criticism is because Pete has the ultimate authority. Several teams tried drawing Pete away from USC over the years. Carroll declined each offer, he said the main reason was lack of control that the teams offered. He believed that the only way to execute his vision in the NFL was to have control, and he attributed some of his failings in the NFL to a lack of control.

During the collapse of the Mora years, Leiweke fired both Tim Ruskell and Mora at the same time leaving the team GMless and HCless. Leiweke thought it would be a good opportunity to try and wrangle Pete Carroll out of USC. Leiweke did something that was very unorthodox and hired the HC before the GM. He lured Pete Carroll over here with the promise of having control over player acquisition.

The compromise Pete Carroll had to make was that Carroll had to pick from a list of GM candidates that Leiweke drew up. Carroll was able to interview and choose from the short list that Leiweke prepared. Carroll ended up interviewing each of these candidates and ultimately hiring John Schneider. It was also stipulated by Leiweke himself that Carroll had the final authority to make decisions on player acquisition and all football related matters.

So to recap, Carroll was hired before our GM, he got to interview several GMs and make the final call on who his partner in crime was going to be. Leiweke then stated that Carroll had the final say in the terms of football related matters including player acquisition.

You fire Schneider and you're still stuck with the same problem. Pete is the guy at the top of the pyramid, John Schneider is just a rank and file guy. If you look at Pete's official title on Seahawks.com he's even listed as "Head Coach/Executive VP of Football Operations". Only two other coaches have that designation in the NFL, those two being Bill Billichick and Ron Riveria. One of which, Billichick just succeeded some of his power to the GM.

Criticism of John Schneider ultimately has to fall back onto Pete as well.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Schneider hits well past the first round. Darrell Taylor is a freak. Metcalf, Brooks Brown Jr, Dissly, Robinson if he's used right to name a few. Swain and Big Dick have been stellar. Jamal has been a superb acquisition. If I'm rebuilding this is a good core to build around. We need to spend heavily next year in free agency