Poll: What is Russ's trade value this offseason?

How much draft capital will teams give up to trade for Russ?

• Less than 2 first round picks

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • 2 first round picks

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • 2 first round picks and more picks

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • 3 first round picks

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • 3 first round picks and more picks

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • More than 3 first round picks/more picks

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
IF Russ is traded this offseason what will teams be willing to give up for him?

Remember he's a:

SB winning QB
All-time competitor
Winner
33 years old
Coming off of injury
Not playing great ball recently

The poll should go on the assumption that he continues his lackluster play the rest of the year as he has been not good since his injury (and even before at times this year). Yes it certainly depends on where teams are at this point positioned to pick in the 22 draft but hard to look at every option.

BamKam

Reaction score
It really depends if there is a team that is desperate for a QB because they have a lot of young talent and have a 2-3 year window to win. I think he will still be worth at least a 1st round even after this season if that is the case.

nwHawk

Reaction score
2 - 1st and possibly more to the right team. He still has value to a franchise.

iigakusei

Reaction score
We are going to trade Wilson for less than Jamal Adams. Absolute joke.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
iigakusei":1i153b8x said:
We are going to trade Wilson for less than Jamal Adams. Absolute joke.

Well, now that Obrien's out in Houston, who else are you going to get to bite on those kind of deals?

Says more about how much we overpaid for Adams than RW's value, imho.

hoxrox

Reaction score
This past offseason: 3 first round picks and maybe more

Currently: 2 first round picks and maybe more

If his play continues to deteriorate in the next 6 games: a bag of peanuts

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Less than 2 first rounders is crackheadery. A broken Wentz just went for a first, and a team was about to pull the trigger on Watson for value of over 3 firsts.

I think you can get three firsts for him from a sad team solely based on resume. Its a quarterback league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even if Russell continues to not play well the rest of the season, there should be plenty of desperate teams willing to trade AT LEAST two first rounders, if not three....or some player/ pick package for Russell.

As long as he doesn't sustain another serious injury that'd cause teams to pause on trading for him, his trade value will remain high.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
The knee jerk reaction is to say less than 2 first round picks however this is where John Schneider can shine like he did with the Frank Clark trade. If it nets us another guy like Taylor I'd consider it a win in and of itself

ZagHawk

Reaction score
His trade value has definitely dropped. That being said since coming back one could actually say he is showing improvement through each game. So if he does play out the remainder of the season and continues to improve on what he is currently to look somewhat like what he used to be, his trade value will return.

Things that do hurt his trade value, his massive contract, its highly dependent on how he looks the remainder of this season (if he doesn't get benched), the fact that he already wants out and has a limited set of teams he's willing to play for (If I'm a GM trying to get RW, I know he wants out, and I know I only need to battle 4 teams vs 20 teams for him...I can offer much much less).

jammerhawk

Reaction score
until he can show he still has the "it" his value iOS decreasing.

toffee

Reaction score
One thing for sure, Russ's trade value will be low this off season than last off season. Very reason why I advocated in trading him at that time to get maximum return. It's a matter of how much lower, we just have to figure out a way to protect his trade value at this point, sitting him based on injury could be a good start.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If I was an NFL GM evaluating whether to trade for Russell, right now I would be looking at his huge drop-off in play and in W/L results (2-6 W-L this year), and would consider it a very risky option. It's hard to tell which factor is leading to Russell getting crap for results. Is it because...

* The talent around him is crap
* Is the new Waldron scheme (thus far) crap, and/or not a fit for Wilson?
* Has Russell has lost that "it" factor due to
a) aging/loss of athletic ability
b) Loss of focus & desire, or
c) the league-wide "book" on how to play Russell has neutralized his strengths such that he'll never be a top QB again unless he makes massive adjustments, or
d) Some combination of, or all of, the above.

As a GM, for sure, I'd have to have my coaches and coordinators explain exactly why Russell sucking isn't his fault, and exactly why things would be different in our scheme and with our talent. Then I'd look at our cap situation and figure out how many talented players we'd have to get rid of (preferably trades for younger, cheaper players with upside) to fit Russell's contract under the cap.

I'd also only be interested if my team already had a good defense, and a solid running game. Russell did have one year (2015) where his passing carried the team, but last season's "Let Russ Cook" disaster suggests that I shouldn't plan on 2015-like offensive fireworks. If my team had some up-and-coming QB talent on a rookie contract, I'd pass.

After considering the cap issues, offensive coaches input, and whether solid "game manager" QB talent was already on the team... if the resulting scenario was any less than "Division Champs and legit SB contender", I'd pass on trading for Russell, almost regardless of price.

The Indy trade for Carson Wentz is roughly comparable, except that Wentz is quite a bit younger than Russell. The trade of Alex Smith from KC to Washington is also another potential comparable.

We might be lucky to get a single 1st for Russell at this point.

toffee

Reaction score
olyfan63":2rynwsij said:
If I was an NFL GM evaluating whether to trade for Russell, right now I would be looking at his huge drop-off in play and in W/L results (2-6 W-L this year), and would consider it a very risky option. It's hard to tell which factor is leading to Russell getting crap for results. Is it because...

* The talent around him is crap
* Is the new Waldron scheme (thus far) crap, and/or not a fit for Wilson?
* Has Russell has lost that "it" factor due to
a) aging/loss of athletic ability
b) Loss of focus & desire, or
c) the league-wide "book" on how to play Russell has neutralized his strengths such that he'll never be a top QB again unless he makes massive adjustments, or
d) Some combination of, or all of, the above.

As a GM, for sure, I'd have to have my coaches and coordinators explain exactly why Russell sucking isn't his fault, and exactly why things would be different in our scheme and with our talent. Then I'd look at our cap situation and figure out how many talented players we'd have to get rid of (preferably trades for younger, cheaper players with upside) to fit Russell's contract under the cap.

I'd also only be interested if my team already had a good defense, and a solid running game. Russell did have one year (2015) where his passing carried the team, but last season's "Let Russ Cook" disaster suggests that I shouldn't plan on 2015-like offensive fireworks. If my team had some up-and-coming QB talent on a rookie contract, I'd pass.

After considering the cap issues, offensive coaches input, and whether solid "game manager" QB talent was already on the team... if the resulting scenario was any less than "Division Champs and legit SB contender", I'd pass on trading for Russell, almost regardless of price.

The Indy trade for Carson Wentz is roughly comparable, except that Wentz is quite a bit younger than Russell. The trade of Alex Smith from KC to Washington is also another potential comparable.

We might be lucky to get a single 1st for Russell at this point.

Not trading Russ last off season ought to be reason enough to fire Pete and John. These two were behaving like fans, like Russ's homers than cold hearted professionals. Shame on them.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Next season, Russ will have a cap hit for the Hawks of $37 million. However, if we trade him we will incur $26m in dead money (remaining signing bonus) and the team that acquires him will get him for cap hits of just $24m ('22) and then $27m ('23).

Will Russ be worth $24 million to a QB needy team that has been able to stock up on young talent due to a run of bad seasons? Definitely. A young team that thinks they can run the ball would love to get a relatively cheap QB that opposing defenses will want to play deep against. The reason why McVay gave up two firsts and a third for Stafford was so that he could stretch the field and open up the Rams running game.

That being said, I don't see us trading Russ for picks for the same reason we didn't trade him last off-season. Taking a huge dead money hit in 2022 would likely lead it to being a tank year, and Pete and John have never been inclined to tank a season particularly if we are coming off a bad season already. If we do trade Russ I think it may be for another QB who they think would be a better fit for Waldron's scheme and any picks would be a secondary part of it.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
One first-round pick plus some other picks. He goes to a team that is invested in or will invest in the O line.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think there are so few teams that would be willing to pay the price for Russell, now that the league has him "figured out". We'd be lucky to get a mid-first-rounder for him now.

Despite having been "figured out", Russell can still be highly effective in the right situation.

When Russell also had Marshawn and the Read Option threat, it made him more dangerous all around. These days, the primary QBs that cause problems for defenses with their legs include Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Kyler Murray, but not so much Russell anymore.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Trade him to Detroit for Goff, and two 1s. Grab Thibs either top pick.

While we are at it, send Adams to Detroit also for a 3-4th rounder.