Russell Wilson’s “Jesus to come” moment

Mizak

Reaction score
Remember when Wilson was complaining in the offseason that he needed better pass protection? And how they got Gabe Jackson and that was it? Fast forward to the Rams game and BAM, Donald injures Wilson’s finger. That was his “Jesus to come” moment right there. 1st time missing multiple games, 1st time watching another Seahawk QB run the plays while you are on the sidelines. All of the offseason moves that the FO did that tried to appease to you, all the insight that you tried to tell the FO what to do and it just went out the drain because of that injury. I think that was when Wilson, well I wouldn’t say give up, more like majorly questioned himself, “why am I still here?” Hence the way he’s been playing after the bye week.

The FO/Pete failed him and now he is just going through the motions now.

balakoth

Reaction score
A few linemen aren't going to fix the multitude of bad decisions, terrible audibles and unwillingness to manage the game when its required. RW needs to fix himself

rjdriver

Reaction score
He's in a funk. No doubt. It happens. I'm a legacy airline pilot with over 15,000 flight hours. Last month I flew a four day trip and I couldn't buy a decent landing. No rhyme or reason. It happens. Had a few days off, went back to work, and all is normal.

RW is the Greatest QB in Hawks history by a longshot. I'm not a fan of his branding strategy per se (let other people tell you how awesome you are, don't call yourself "lionheart" after surgery), but it's been so aweome watching him during his peak when he had a supporting staff that accentuated his abilities and skillset.

That said, I just don't think he's as cerebral of a QB as some of the other top tier QB's in the league. He portrays himself as this "no sleep", "prepare and outwork more than anyone", kind of guy. It plays well on social media, but I'm not sure his play reflects this unparalled preparation. Everyone works hard in the NFL. I'm not saying he's not a smart man, he clearly is, but I just don't think he has command of the in game O, progressions, and reads like some of the truly elite guys.

I do think he will get back to playing great ball soon though. Maybe this funk will serve as a catalyst to settle down, refocus and go back to the basics that allowed him to become a top 5 QB for the last 10ish years.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
But that is the point. RW does not need to fix anything now.

It is in his best interest to stay healthy and go elsewhere. It sure looks like those are priorities now.

RW does not need to 'fix himself' yet.

Actually the opposite. The less the team he goes to has to give up, the better off he is in the future with that team.

Now is he callous enough to disregard the now? Not sure, but doubt it.

But is he more aware of the risk>?

I saw a lot of balls chucked into open space and a complete lack of follow-through when near the line or opposing players - so maybe.

He still gets to shoulder blame, but certainly looks like getting rid of the ball, whether the pass will be complete or not, is a priority.

toffee

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":366hi68s said:
But that is the point. RW does not need to fix anything now.

It is in his best interest to stay healthy and go elsewhere. It sure looks like those are priorities now.

RW does not need to 'fix himself' yet.

Actually the opposite. The less the team he goes to has to give up, the better off he is in the future with that team.

Now is he callous enough to disregard the now? Not sure, but doubt it.

But is he more aware of the risk>?

I saw a lot of balls chucked into open space and a complete lack of follow-through when near the line or opposing players - so maybe.

He still gets to shoulder blame, but certainly looks like getting rid of the ball, whether the pass will be complete or not, is a priority.

Which team is most deserving our Russ and got what it takes to elevate our Russ's plays? ie Where should Russ cook next season?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
If he's trying to avoid injury, why is he still holding onto the ball for long bombs and not just taking what short passes are available due to a bad o line?

CASeahawk

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I love what Russell has done for the city and this team, but I think one of the problems started when they tried to appease Russell by giving him so much input into picking of the next offensive coordinator. I have no problem with that, but I think he chose him based on the player offensively that the "let Russ Cook" player that he thinks he is, rather than the player he truely is. It was easy to get sucked into the dynamic playmaking that was happening during the Russ MVP chatter of early last year, but once defenses got adjusted to the shortened training camps and no pre-season, he relied too much on the hero plays and not on sustaining drives. He is a PR dream, because he always says and does everything you want from your head guy, but once he started talking about legacy and being MVP his mentality and vision of success changed. He brought a championship to Seattle, being dynamic and a playmaker, but he was a game manager first. Game Manager has been such a derogatory term, but in my eyes that is what he needed to be to cement his legacy. He will go down as the greatest Seahawk QB of all time, but his ego and will cause this to end badly. I won't go into Pete and his RAH RAH crap and his ultimate culpability right now.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wilson is at a crossroads in his career. Previously he defined his game by being the "mad scrambler" 2.0. He thrived on improv and playing outside of the constraints of the offense. Wilson was the type of player that thrived in chaos. He used his mobility to get away with some absurd things. Wilson's ability to escape and throw on the run caused defenses a lot of headaches and it became the defining factor of his play. On addition to his improv skills he wasn't dumb when it came to where he put the football.

Unfortunately though, as defenses have adapted to Russell Wilson and he's gotten slower and less agile, Wilson has been able to get away with less and less. He's had to rely on playing a more clearly defined game. He's at the phase of his career where he needs to adapt or face fading into obscurity.

This isn't uncommon, players such as Randall Cunningham and Fran Tarkenton had similar talents and needed to redefine themselves later in their careers. Wilson is at that juncture. If Wilson is going to proceed, he's not only going to need the right coaching, he's also going to need to humble himself as a player.

Schottenheimer attempted to fix his pocket passing, but Wilson reverted into old habits. In 2018 and parts of 2019/20 I thought he was making some progress in that regard. Wilson does many things well -- but he struggles with some of the more basic elements of playing QB's. If he doesn't fix these tendencies, he may have a shorter career than we may have thought.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":33d6zx4a said:
Wilson is at a crossroads in his career. Previously he defined his game by being the "mad scrambler" 2.0. He thrived on improv and playing outside of the constraints of the offense. Wilson was the type of player that thrived in chaos. He used his mobility to get away with some absurd things. Wilson's ability to escape and throw on the run caused defenses a lot of headaches and it became the defining factor of his play. On addition to his improv skills he wasn't dumb when it came to where he put the football.

Unfortunately though, as defenses have adapted to Russell Wilson and he's gotten slower and less agile, Wilson has been able to get away with less and less. He's had to rely on playing a more clearly defined game. He's at the phase of his career where he needs to adapt or face fading into obscurity.

This isn't uncommon, players such as Randall Cunningham and Fran Tarkenton had similar talents and needed to redefine themselves later in their careers. Wilson is at that juncture. If Wilson is going to proceed, he's not only going to need the right coaching, he's also going to need to humble himself as a player.

Schottenheimer attempted to fix his pocket passing, but Wilson reverted into old habits. In 2018 and parts of 2019/20 I thought he was making some progress in that regard. Wilson does many things well -- but he struggles with some of the more basic elements of playing QB's. If he doesn't fix these tendencies, he may have a shorter career than we may have thought.
Great post.
Kurt Warner lays it out here. Short version: Russell, take the open layups and move the chains. Stop trying to be "special" every play. Using the Rams playoff game as an example, Warner shows exactly where Russell has difficulty making reads and knowing where to go with the ball quickly. I honestly have no idea if this is something Russell can fix. He would really have to rewire his head and his whole approach to the game.

[youtube]E6BUU_FZAPE[/youtube]

K

K.J WRIGHT

Mizak":o3zgtdnm said:
Remember when Wilson was complaining in the offseason that he needed better pass protection? And how they got Gabe Jackson and that was it? Fast forward to the Rams game and BAM, Donald injures Wilson’s finger. That was his “Jesus to come” moment right there. 1st time missing multiple games, 1st time watching another Seahawk QB run the plays while you are on the sidelines. All of the offseason moves that the FO did that tried to appease to you, all the insight that you tried to tell the FO what to do and it just went out the drain because of that injury. I think that was when Wilson, well I wouldn’t say give up, more like majorly questioned himself, “why am I still here?” Hence the way he’s been playing after the bye week.

He should have shut his mouth during the off season...now he looks like a fool.

Chapow

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":ogyhi493 said:
Mizak":ogyhi493 said:

He should have shut his mouth during the off season...now he looks like a fool.

How does what he said in the off season make him look like a fool?

This is what Russ said,

I’ve definitely been hit, I’ve been sacked almost 400 times. We’ve got to find ways to get better. I’ve got to find ways to get better, too.

That's all true. He has been sacked a lot. His pass protection has been poor for most of his career and needs to be better. He also needs to be better.

What part of that makes him look like a fool? Especially since, yet again, his pass protection has generally been pretty poor this season.

ryank24

Reaction score
This topic doesn't make any sense at all. If Wilson was questioning why he's still here and just going through the motions at this point because of that injury...why would he rush himself back from that injury so early. The initial timelines for recovery were like 6-8 weeks, and he could have easily taken every bit of that time off.

But your argument is that he rushed himself back as quick as possible, probably playing through pain, possibly risking re-injuring it, just so that he can play well below his normal standard and go through the motions? Not buying it.

Maybe he really did want out last off season and maybe he ends up pushing his way out after this off season, who knows. We'll find out in a few months.

But right now, he wouldn't be on the field if he didn't want to be, and there's really no way to argue against that.