No play, no pay

MO Hawk

Reaction score
This notion that as a RB you get paid whether you play or not has to stop. Most recently, Rashad Penny and other RB's have exploited the Seahawks. Why should he get paid the same as the guy who plays week in and week out?

It's common knowledge in Seattle that you can "be injured" most if not all of the season and still get a pay check. In any other business, if you don't perform, you don't get paid.

The NFL needs to incentivize playing and have a league wide system that doesn't reward constantly injured players. Maybe if that system were in place, sissies like Rashad Penny would go do something else.

Year in and year out, you don't have to play to get paid in Seattle and they will keep you on the payroll indefinitely. You just have to fake playing a down or two occasionally during the season and cha Ching, pay me.

The other thing the NFL needs to do is count the years on a contract as the years you played or performed. In Penny's case, he has about 1/4 of one year (if that) of his 4 year contract completed. We can talk about Russ all day, the facts are being thin at RB has hindered Seattle most of the last 10 years.

This constantly injured RB's in Seattle has to stop.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm sure the players union will be all over that.

seabowl

Reaction score
Never ever going to happen. Now having a low base salary with incentive clauses I would like to see but very subjective as players on O would be complaining every week that they don’t get the ball enough.

Sorry but injuries are a nature of the game

PNW

Reaction score
MO Hawk":2agptkhw said:
This notion that as a RB you get paid whether you play or not has to stop. Most recently, Rashad Penny and other RB's have exploited the Seahawks. Why should he get paid the same as the guy who plays week in and week out?

It's common knowledge in Seattle that you can "be injured" most if not all of the season and still get a pay check. In any other business, if you don't perform, you don't get paid.

The NFL needs to incentivize playing and have a league wide system that doesn't reward constantly injured players. Maybe if that system were in place, sissies like Rashad Penny would go do something else.

Year in and year out, you don't have to play to get paid in Seattle and they will keep you on the payroll indefinitely. You just have to fake playing a down or two occasionally during the season and cha Ching, pay me.

The other thing the NFL needs to do is count the years on a contract as the years you played or performed. In Penny's case, he has about 1/4 of one year (if that) of his 4 year contract completed. We can talk about Russ all day, the facts are being thin at RB has hindered Seattle most of the last 10 years.

The NFL should have nothing to do with that, it should be up to the teams discretion to cut the player if they don’t play/perform to the level they’re being paid.

rjdriver

Reaction score
You don't get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate.

In football and in life.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
My true wish is that fine...pay in the injured players (they gotta take care of their families for the rest of their lives with their salaries..and not everyone is making RW salaries).

BUT I do wish it could bet set up in a way where any money paid to an injured player did not effect the cap, or was returned back to the team's salary cap or something. I know there could be perhaps other exploitative issues with that could come with it, but i dunno feels fair in another way.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Good news for you then I guess, because Penny is on an expiring contract. He's losing millions of dollars off his next contract by missing games this season.

LTH

Reaction score
MO Hawk":3mh2c9hg said:

I'm glad you brought this subject up...because I want to talk about this... First of all Penny had no injury problems in college. So no one can say the Hawks screwed the pooch there.

Secondly, Penny was progressing very well before his knee injury... His numbers were Good (stat guys GO!!)

Thirdly it's not Penny's fault he had a major knee Injury. Players heal differently and react differently to rehab... for all we know he still might be having issues because of his surgery, (Dr's and Nurses Your on)

the forth point I would like to make is that Carroll seems to think he still has a chance. so I think we need to be patient and see what happens... Maybe he is done maybe not.

His rookie contract is almost up and if he is a bust they won't sign him back

But I'm not going to trash the guy... I'm just NOT because I know that coming back from the surgery this guy is coming back from is NOT easy... Rashad is a really nice guy and he deserves the chances Carroll is giving him..

Lets see what happens

LTH

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
LTH,

Good thoughts. It's not only Penny, it seems like RB in general with Seattle over the years face a lot of injuries. I don't have the states to see how we compare to other teams, but we seem worse off. I've often wondered if it is something in our training? How could a guy like Penny be so healthy in college and constantly injured in the NFL?

I don't begrudge a man to be paid something as they do have families. I do wish there was an incentive or lesser amount of pay when not performing. It is like that in any other business. Maybe we could pay injured players the NFL minimum? I get that he will not get paid well, if at all, on his next contract, however, Seattle has a habit of re-signing constantly injured players hoping their day will come, but it seldom does.

We seem to get near the end of the season each year and run out of running backs.

LTH

Reaction score
MO Hawk":mml422ge said:
LTH,

Good thoughts. It's not only Penny, it seems like RB in general with Seattle over the years face a lot of injuries. I don't have the states to see how we compare to other teams, but we seem worse off. I've often wondered if it is something in our training? How could a guy like Penny be so healthy in college and constantly injured in the NFL?

I don't begrudge a man to be paid something as they do have families. I do wish there was an incentive or lesser amount of pay when not performing. It is like that in any other business. Maybe we could pay injured players the NFL minimum? I get that he will not get paid well, if at all, on his next contract, however, Seattle has a habit of re-signing constantly injured players hoping their day will come, but it seldom does.

We seem to get near the end of the season each year and run out of running backs.

Maybe it's just bad luck.

I don't worry about how much they are paying him they have plenty of money.

Fade made a good point about the salary cap and how it's really not a factor anymore because they have learned to work around it... that just kind of stuck with me...

Must be very frustrating for Carroll and even more frustrating for Penny. Let's hope Penny finds a way to get back and resume where he left off because Penny is a good kid, I REALLY am PULLING for HIM to succeed! Go baby!! work hard!!!

the run is an issue that the Seahawks have to address... the run game is vital to the success of Carroll's O.

Have you seen pics of Carson working out? My goodness, talk about a physical specimen... the guy is a rock... He must take some viscous hits.

Thoughts?

LTH

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/U_e6bAe4tog/maxresdefault.jpg

Chapow

Reaction score
MO Hawk":1jizmh4w said:
LTH,

NFL RB's get injured a lot. A LOT.

Ever play fantasy football? I haven't for several years now, but I did for years before that. It's a constant battle trying to find good RB's to fill out your roster because they're constantly getting injured and missing games.

It's not just Seattle. It's the entire NFL.

Elemas

Reaction score
Let us not forget he’s a first round pick who’s about to light the league on fire!!

Just wait and see.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MO Hawk":1kvuy9bi said:
In any other business, if you don't perform, you don't get paid.

In any other business, there would be no draft. No salary cap. Probably no college football either, as it would simply be a risk to future earnings. So it'd be kids coming straight from high school and being groomed/trained on practice squads. Which would be unfettered and would likely number in the hundreds for most teams.

Anyone/Everyone could sign to the highest bidder. Anyone could quit any time during the season and get hired anywhere else. There is no law saying one has to give 2 weeks either. They could quit on monday and be playing for another team that same day.

Every player would be paid for showing up to the complex. Practices would be paid. Meetings -- paid. Travel time -- paid.

It'd be like MLB, but without the concept of club control. You'd essentially have a small handful of super high payroll teams and 20 KC Royals type clubs with little ability to compete or inject hope for parity. Poorer teams would simply be the farm systems for wealthy clubs willing to spend more to feed their vanity. And make no mistake, there are owners who would love to just Steinbrenner the league into oblivion and have the means to do it. It would be more grossly imbalanced than college football is at the current state.

It'd be much more cut throat and weird than the way soccer does it. No contracts to sell. No control. How would a team be able to develop talent knowing they could just go elsewhere the moment they become capable of playing?

One can't just pick and choose the real world analogy and conveniently omit all the other implications.