Sweeping the 49ers

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Will somewhat salvage a very lackluster season. I’ll still be able to talk a little trash in the offseason :0190l: :49ersmall:
Watch Wilson just ball the eff out on Sunday and put all the trade talk to rest
SWEEEEEP!!!!
GO HAWKS!!!!!

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. A win on Sunday may make Pete, Shane and KNJ look just competent enough to keep their jobs for another year.

Seattle wins, then the whole narrative changes to chatter about the Seahawks are suddenly not as bad as their record suggests, they beat a legit playoff contender, Russ is back to MVP form, and otherwise luring everyone into a false sense of security. Next thing you know, ownership gives the coaching staff, JS, Russ, and probably the entire roster the benefit of the doubt, then nothing changes, and next thing you know, everyone will be back here bitching about how it's same shit, different year, blah blah blah FIRE AND TRADE EVERYBODY, REBUILD NOW ad nauseam.

For all we know, the 49ers may do this on purpose as part of some Lex Luthor-level plot to troll the ever-living **** out of Seattle. I mean, they are keeping their two best playmakers held out of this game out of an abundance of caution, so...

#JustTinFoilHatThings

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't care if this team went 2-15, as long as those 2 were vs the 49ers

RiverDog

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":aw3miwq5 said:
Be careful what you wish for. A win on Sunday may make Pete, Shane and KNJ look just competent enough to keep their jobs for another year.

That's a huge dilemma for me. It's paramount to sacrilege to hope that the Hawks lose. But I desperately want a change, a major shake-up, which means getting rid of Pete Carroll. Getting to a .500ish season might be enough to save his job. A 4-13 train wreck would represent the 2nd worse season in Seahawk football (minus the expansion years), worse even than the Mora year, and a cold slap in the face to our owner.

I'm reminded of Vinnie Testaverde's helmet touchdown back in 1998. Had that play, the last one of the game, been called correctly, we would have won and made the playoffs. It might have been enough for Dennis Erickson to keep his job rather than getting fired and replaced the following season with Mike Holmgren. As it turned out, that horribly blown call was a blessing in disguise.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, they are 16-4 in the last 20 vs. Santa Clara. So it's not out of the question.
Obviously the 39ers are a better team right now. But, it just matters who is the better team on Sunday.

"faithful"
when they are winning. Sums up many of their fans.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
RiverDog":3vrsvb9k said:
A.D.I.D.A.S.":3vrsvb9k said:

That's a huge dilemma for me. It's paramount to sacrilege to hope that the Hawks lose. But I desperately want a change, a major shake-up, which means getting rid of Pete Carroll. Getting to a .500ish season might be enough to save his job. A 4-13 train wreck would represent the 2nd worse season in Seahawk football (minus the expansion years), worse even than the Mora year, and a cold slap in the face to our owner.

I'm reminded of Vinnie Testaverde's helmet touchdown back in 1998. Had that play, the last one of the game, been called correctly, we would have won and made the playoffs. It might have been enough for Dennis Erickson to keep his job rather than getting fired and replaced the following season with Mike Holmgren. As it turned out, that horribly blown call was a blessing in disguise.

See, IMO you get it. Sometimes you gotta take the L in the short term if you want to think of long-term success, even if it means oh boo-hoo, those mean ol' Whiner fans are going to make fun of me twice a year for a year or two. Get a thicker skin and suck it up.

Yeah, it's cool for the Hawks to constantly beat a team you hate personally, but if that ends up potentially delaying the rebuild by another year and keeping the Hawks in the depths of mediocrity for that much longer, then it's suddenly not sounding like such a good idea.

If anything, you'll get congratulated with winning your moral Super Bowl and have yet another year of no deep playoff run while your division rivals pass you by.

Everyone gets a turn in the carousel of suck. Better to deal with it now than to drag it out.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":1akj32ly said:
See, IMO you get it. Sometimes you gotta take the L in the short term if you want to think of long-term success, even if it means oh boo-hoo, those mean ol' Whiner fans are going to make fun of me twice a year for a year or two. Get a thicker skin and suck it up.

Yeah, it's cool for the Hawks to constantly beat a team you hate personally, but if that ends up potentially delaying the rebuild by another year and keeping the Hawks in the depths of mediocrity for that much longer, then it's suddenly not sounding like such a good idea.

If anything, you'll get congratulated with winning your moral Super Bowl and have yet another year of no deep playoff run while your division rivals pass you by.

Everyone gets a turn in the carousel of suck. Better to deal with it now than to drag it out.

Yeah, but it's tough. Growing up, I got made into a better man by getting beat up in a fist fight, but do I want to see my kid get the chit kicked out of him even if I know that it's going to make a man out of him? My daughter got dumped by a sleaze bag boyfriend, and even though I didn't want her with him anyway, it still broke my heart to see her crying.

Plus you NEVER, for any reason, want a losing attitude to become acceptable within an organization. That's why no matter how many times the Lions or Jets change coaches, they'll always suck. If I had my druthers, I'd like to see us win out and for Pete to get fired anyway.

OP
OP
H

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":2ckmhhrj said:
RiverDog":2ckmhhrj said:
A.D.I.D.A.S.":2ckmhhrj said:

By winning one freaking game it delays us for another year? I don't think so. Take a seat. You play every game to win unless you clinched the one seed Karen :rumble: :49ersmall: :rumble:

We're packing their fudge and there's nothing you can do or say to change that guy!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Stud

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a rivalry game, anything can happen. Throw records out the window. As a 49ers fan, Jimmy G has gotten hurt against Seattle the last 2 times he's played. I thought that was interesting.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
RiverDog":36e6zm11 said:
Yeah, but it's tough. Growing up, I got made into a better man by getting beat up in a fist fight, but do I want to see my kid get the chit kicked out of him even if I know that it's going to make a man out of him? My daughter got dumped by a sleaze bag boyfriend, and even though I didn't want her with him anyway, it still broke my heart to see her crying.

Plus you NEVER, for any reason, want a losing attitude to become acceptable within an organization. That's why no matter how many times the Lions or Jets change coaches, they'll always suck. If I had my druthers, I'd like to see us win out and for Pete to get fired anyway.

No, I hear ya, and that's a good example. It's shitty to endure the tough times, but on the other hand, that doesn't mean that it has to last forever, IF you're willing to do something about it. Now if you don't do something about it, that's another story. Almost kind of like what you hear about people that stay in and deal with abusive relationships; they'd rather accept being continually hurt, but in their eyes, at least there's consistency in their lives, instead of dealing with the fear of the unknown that comes from breaking free of it, and all the uncertainty that comes along with it.

But I digress...

That doesn't mean that the whole time between the time you first get hurt, and the time you become strong / smart enough to not let it happen to you again is going to be painless though. There's going to be some rough stretches, but if you stay committed to improving, then you'll eventually get there. IMO it's not realistic to think that there will never be any kind of pain in life. It's a great ideal to strive for if you can pull it off, but rarely does it happen in reality.

But that's the key though IMO...deal with the suckage now, but at the same time, commit to working on making things better long-term, instead of just trying to band-aid everything and continuing to sweep the core problems under the rug. That's what I feel the issue is with Russ having to bail everybody out at the last minute. Sure, hero ball makes for great TV, but it's ultimately an unsustainable strategy against legitimate contenders that will have a good enough eye to figure out the team's weaknesses and exploit them.

I'm just thinking that if ownership doesn't embrace the fact that life has to change, and that positive, long-term change will involve some short-term pain, it'll provide ammo for the argument that the Seahawks now have "clueless ownership," and will be tossed into the same category as the Jaguars, Falcons, Giants, and Chargers. Not quite Detroit or NYJ, but one step above them...and that's not exactly a good thing.

Everyone and their grandma knows that year after year, those teams are pretenders. They make noise in the beginning to generate hype and hope, but right on schedule, they end up shitting the bed, but somehow end up winning just enough so that their ownership doesn't question the coaching staff and FO's already questionable decisions in the name of not rocking the boat...or they just flat out don't care and figure they can make money off of the die-hard fans that fill the seats, and their share of lucrative TV deals, so they can make a ton of money without even putting out any effort to win.

And year after year, the same story continues.

NINEster

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3ni92xqd said:
I wouldn't care if this team went 2-15, as long as those 2 were vs the 49ers

I would have a hard time deciding between the 49ers winning against Seattle this weekend 59-0, versus losing by 3 points and winning the Super Bowl this year.

Sounds ridiculous, but the hate is real here too, and I know I'm not alone. :irishdrinkers: :mrgreen:

toffee

Reaction score
We shall win this game, I have no doubt in my mind that we will win.

Our defense may not be perfect, but they have been improving and no reason why they suddenly regress. Our offense has no doubt struggled, mostly due to three reasons: 1. Team is learning a new system, 2. Wilson's finger affecting his throws, ie lack of accuracy 3. no RB opponent need to Respect.

1 and 2 have been improving game by game, I think they will make that jump this week, 3. Still suck, oh well.

Go Hawks!!!!

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
NINEster":1rafin4j said:
I would have a hard time deciding between the 49ers winning against Seattle this weekend 59-0, versus losing by 3 points and winning the Super Bowl this year.

Sounds ridiculous, but the hate is real here too, and I know I'm not alone. :irishdrinkers: :mrgreen:

No I get it, I mean the Seahawks split the series in 2013 and won the Super Bowl, but swept SF in 2014, and then XLIX happened, so...

I mean, if it came down to a pick your poison thing, me personally I would gladly split the series or get swept by a rival, if it meant that my favorite team won the big one in the end, and a third option just wasn't available. But that's just me playing the long game.

My way of thinking about that stems from Scottie Pippen's famous quote..."(It) don't mean a thing without the ring."

RiverDog

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":h923o2hl said:
No, I hear ya, and that's a good example. It's $h!t to endure the tough times, but on the other hand, that doesn't mean that it has to last forever, IF you're willing to do something about it. Now if you don't do something about it, that's another story. Almost kind of like what you hear about people that stay in and deal with abusive relationships; they'd rather accept being continually hurt, but in their eyes, at least there's consistency in their lives, instead of dealing with the fear of the unknown that comes from breaking free of it, and all the uncertainty that comes along with it.

But I digress...

That doesn't mean that the whole time between the time you first get hurt, and the time you become strong / smart enough to not let it happen to you again is going to be painless though. There's going to be some rough stretches, but if you stay committed to improving, then you'll eventually get there. IMO it's not realistic to think that there will never be any kind of pain in life. It's a great ideal to strive for if you can pull it off, but rarely does it happen in reality.

But that's the key though IMO...deal with the suckage now, but at the same time, commit to working on making things better long-term, instead of just trying to band-aid everything and continuing to sweep the core problems under the rug. That's what I feel the issue is with Russ having to bail everybody out at the last minute. Sure, hero ball makes for great TV, but it's ultimately an unsustainable strategy against legitimate contenders that will have a good enough eye to figure out the team's weaknesses and exploit them.

I'm just thinking that if ownership doesn't embrace the fact that life has to change, and that positive, long-term change will involve some short-term pain, it'll provide ammo for the argument that the Seahawks now have "clueless ownership," and will be tossed into the same category as the Jaguars, Falcons, Giants, and Chargers. Not quite Detroit or NYJ, but one step above them...and that's not exactly a good thing.

Everyone and their grandma knows that year after year, those teams are pretenders. They make noise in the beginning to generate hype and hope, but right on schedule, they end up $h!t the bed, but somehow end up winning just enough so that their ownership doesn't question the coaching staff and FO's already questionable decisions in the name of not rocking the boat...or they just flat out don't care and figure they can make money off of the die-hard fans that fill the seats, and their share of lucrative TV deals, so they can make a ton of money without even putting out any effort to win.

And year after year, the same story continues.

That's why over the past 3-4 games, since the Rams game where Russell got hurt, I've been progressively more dispassionate about our games. I'm not scaring the dog when we score by screaming TOUCHDOWN! like I've done so many times in past years. I'm not nearly as emotionally connected with the games as I have been in previous seasons.

So we'll see. I'm not going to be hoping that we lose and I'll still watch every snap, but I'm not going to be all broke up about it if we lose, either.

xray

Reaction score
This would be a damn good time for SF to get payback wouldn't it ? They would love to put a nail in the Hawks coffin . Every team left on the schedule want to put a nail in the Hawks coffin . The league is dog eat dog ; as it should be .

OP
OP
H

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
xray":gvuk9icr said:
This would be a damn good time for SF to get payback wouldn't it ? They would love to put a nail in the Hawks coffin . Every team left on the schedule want to put a nail in the Hawks coffin . The league is dog eat dog ; as it should be .
More like taking a piss on our graves. The nails in the coffin are rusty already :sarcasm_on: