Why would Pete go for it on 4th dn late in4th instead of fg?

seabowl

Reaction score
Up by 7 late in fourth quarter deep in their zone and you go for it on 4th down??? It makes absolutely no sense to do this and almost cost them the game. It was purely for show and not good common sense.

If SF tied it at the end and then won the game this board would have EXPLODED regarding that call!!!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He gave the players a chance to win the game then and there and Everett blew it

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Jerhawk":blth0s0d said:

Kicking the fg there is still giving your players a chance to win the game by going up 10 points.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":rfraxsgr said:
Jerhawk":rfraxsgr said:

Kicking the fg there is still giving your players a chance to win the game by going up 10 points.

It's a good point.
But if we score it puts the game away. The field goal still gives them a chance to kick a field goal and score a TD

cymatica

Reaction score
I swear that was a 3rd down play after 2 stuffed runs. They would have gone for 3 if not for the fumble. Hard to blame Everett, I don't recall ever seeing a TE shovel pass on the goal line stuffed like that. Oline couldn't block.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
cymatica":25h4mwb2 said:
I swear that was a 3rd down play after 2 stuffed runs. They would have gone for 3 if not for the fumble. Hard to blame Everett, I don't recall ever seeing a TE shovel pass on the goal line stuffed like that. Oline couldn't block.

Guess you don't watch KC, SF, LAR, or any number of teams, play much?

getnasty

Reaction score
I thought it was a good call and more about running more clock then anything.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Its a terrible call in the real world, but when your 3-8 you have the freedom to do those things.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pretty sure that was a 3rd down play, at least that's what's on the screen in the highlights reel. It did feel like a 4th down play though, in that we didn't get it and lost the ball at the end.

Pete kicks the FG if we'd gotten to 4th down.

Lawke

Reaction score
seabowl":3a5lb1vt said:
Up by 7 late in fourth quarter deep in their zone and you go for it on 4th down??? It makes absolutely no sense to do this and almost cost them the game. It was purely for show and not good common sense.

If SF tied it at the end and then won the game this board would have EXPLODED regarding that call!!!

You can go and watch the highlights. Im not sure how so many people are misremembering this stuff(plenty of people were losing their minds on reddit and what not as well). It was a 3rd and goal play. it was NOT 4th down. It was following 2 AD runs.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Everett fumble is besides the point because the fourth down happened on the previous set of downs. We went for it on fourth and one at the 4 and picked it up on a three yard run. Despite converting, it does look like a bad decision on paper because the 10 point lead would have made a huge difference in win probability at that point in the game.

However, this is also a great example of the sort of complexity that happens in the real world and isn't found in a textbook. The Hawks were 3-8 with a previously faltering offense that was showing improvement during the game. There are some non-tangible benefits for our offense's confidence to being able to pick up the 4th down and then punch it in for a TD. To whatever degree the Hawks still have a tiny chance of making the playoffs they need the offense to get really hot over the last five weeks, so it could make sense to bank on that chance at the expense of a small percentage in win probability today.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":20tplnmf said:

This. Although up to that moment I told my friend next to me that I was nervous since the Seahawks have had bad history at the 1 half jokingly but whelp this didn’t help.

But yeah they were trying to ice the game which I could somewhat get behind.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
olyfan63":3jrlu9o4 said:
Pretty sure that was a 3rd down play, at least that's what's on the screen in the highlights reel. It did feel like a 4th down play though, in that we didn't get it and lost the ball at the end.

Pete kicks the FG if we'd gotten to 4th down.

He is referring to the set of downs before that. Pete went for it on 4th down to set up the set of downs on which Everett fumbled.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Lawke":2t41jzo8 said:
seabowl":2t41jzo8 said:

You can go and watch the highlights. Im not sure how so many people are misremembering this stuff(plenty of people were losing their minds on reddit and what not as well). It was a 3rd and goal play. it was NOT 4th down. It was following 2 AD runs.

It was the set of downs BEFORE the stuff. Went to 4th down and they luckily picked up the first deep in SF territory.

Lawke

Reaction score
seabowl":3q0yvxrs said:
Lawke":3q0yvxrs said:
seabowl":3q0yvxrs said:

It was the set of downs BEFORE the stuff. Went to 4th down and they luckily picked up the first deep in SF territory.

Yeah, i thought you were talking about the everett one, which is the one i saw a ton of people goin crazy over. The other set of downs tho id agree with you actually, i would have preferred they take the FG myself, unless they werent confident in myers for whatever reason. But i also get wanting to let the players go and win it, as well as giving the offense a chance to close the door on the game to kind of give them a bigger confidence boost, even tho it didnt work out.

Optimus25

Reaction score
cymatica":2pji5w8f said:

Yeah I’ve never seen an interception at the goal line either….

2 stupid play calls.

First, SF has a strong interior D line. They are too quick to read and react for a shovel pass. It was just the stupidest call in the world for that reason alone, but wait there’s more!

Everett had two turnovers already. What in the actual truck Pete/Shane? He already almost lost the game for us so dial him up? Stupid stupid stupid stupid. A play action look for DK would have been the only thing i considered outside of another run attempt. Or maybe have Tyler drag across the secondary with crossing pick action from dk and a TE the other side.

But after you pick up the first down and then get four more downs you just take the three runs and kick. If we lost from that i really thought Pete might have lost his job yesterday on the spot. That kind of failure would have proved he is unable to win the games that are handed to us on a silver platter.

But again. Stupidest playcall since 49.

94Smith

Reaction score
Yeah made no sense to not kick a field goal there and go up by two scores

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The shovel pass to Everett was the right call to the wrong guy. This play works well when you have a Travis Kelce rather than an Everett on the receiving end. That this was done after Stone Hands turned the ball over twice earlier in the day makes it an even more awful call.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It was yet another incorrect Pete "feel" call.

Five minutes left, you kick the FG and go up two scores. So Pete can thump his chest all he wants and say "I knew we were going convert," but it was the wrong call..............and not just because Everett fumbled.

Two scores is two scores with 4-5 minutes left, the analytics say it's not a great enough point differential percentage between 10 and 14 pts with that much time left.

Don't get me wrong, I like this side of Pete. We won the game because he took risks. But it was the wrong call. You kick the FG.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Yeah I puzzled by that play too. With a FG, I am pretty sure that would put the game away.

Hell, SF almost made a comeback to tie the game.