We need to talk about Bobby...

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
$20m cap hit next season. I cant see how we eat that and whilst I love BWagz it seems Father Time is catching up with him a little.

So a restructure, trade or is he a cap casualty cut?

I fear it maybe the latter.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think he's back but obviously not at 20 million. Although i wonder if they perhaps are thinking of moving Brooks to MLB. If that's the case i don't see him back.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He leads the league in tackles. He looks terrible because the pass rush and secondary have been inconsistent - average to below average this season. Wagner is still playing at a high level. Plus the defense has been on the field for around 70% of the time in the games. That would wear anyone out, even sprung 22 year olds. The Seahawks have two guys on the team that are among the top 5 in tackles - Wagner and Brooks. I believe jettisoning Wagner would be a move in the wrong direction. What the Seahawks need to do is upgrade their DL around Ford, Wood, Taylor, Green and Dunlap (since he is signed for 2 yrs).

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":kgmkg0l5 said:
I believe jettisoning Wagner would be a move in the wrong direction.

I completely agree, the elephant in the room is that cap hit though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3oo8h2f8 said:
hawkfan68":3oo8h2f8 said:

Sportrac predicts them to have about $53M in cap space next season. That is including RW and Bobby on the team. Keeping him isn't hurting anyone especially if he's playing a top 5 level. Which he certainly is.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/2022/

Add to that, I have zero confidence in any other LB on the team not named Wagner or Brooks. The last thing I want to see is Barton getting any extended playing time. BBK is hurt, but I don't believe he is built to be an every down LB.

For me, the benefit of having him on the team outweigh any savings in money if they would release him. He's the leader of the defense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3oj4pheq said:
UK_Seahawk":3oj4pheq said:
hawkfan68":3oj4pheq said:

Sportrac predicts them to have about $53M in cap space next season. That is including RW and Bobby on the team. Keeping him isn't hurting anyone especially if he's playing a top 5 level. Which he certainly is.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/2022/

Add to that, I have zero confidence in any other LB on the team not named Wagner or Brooks. The last thing I want to see is Barton getting any extended playing time. BBK is hurt, but I don't believe he is built to be an every down LB.

For me, the benefit of having him on the team outweigh any savings in money if they would release him. He's the leader of the defense.
Have to go along with this take. Restructure if possible, draft an heir apparent if possible, put better DL in front of him, but Bobby is the glue for this defense.

sutz

Reaction score
Would love to see a re-structure for 3-4 years that would reduce his cap hit but keep him happy.

justafan

Reaction score
Everyone loves him but you cant pay 9% of your salary cap to an aging ml. We need to invest that money in the DL.We are a horrible D when it comes to making big plays. Very few sacks,fumbles or interception. As far as leadership sometimes you have to clear the older leaders out and give the younger guys a chance to grow.
The Lob was built with a bunch of young and hungry guys in the back 7 and hired playmakers at DEs.

xray

Reaction score
If Wilson goes , so will Bobby . it's all gonna be about business in the end ; and you or me can't do chit about it . Which is a good thing actually .

KinesProf

Reaction score
10 years in and didn't miss a snap this year while leading the league in tackles. Absolute stud.

Tough to say, but I can't help but wonder if he would be best served at this stage of his career playing meaningful football for a contender.

LTH

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3nit0jz7 said:
hawkfan68":3nit0jz7 said:

If your trade him u could maybe get a third? Not worth it

restructure his contract? maybe

Cut him... I think not

But you never know because of what happened to KJ

LTH

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
What happens to Bobby probably depends on what happens with Wilson.

If they want a clean slate, both will be gone but that depends on what they do with Carroll as well.

toffee

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1t9hvfgw said:
What happens to Bobby probably depends on what happens with Wilson.

If they want a clean slate, both will be gone but that depends on what they do with Carroll as well.

Or, if Russ leaves, they might just restructure and keep Bobby. I would like to have Bobby retire here, seeing that Russ probably won't.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
He's great.. but stop with the leading the league in tackles.. he's playing soft zone... Dude gets a 5 yard dump off in front of him..... He tackles .. he's slower, missed way more tackles then usual and made very few impact plays.... He's not close to playing like a dude worth 20 mil.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":25pheqz0 said:
He's great.. but stop with the leading the league in tackles.. he's playing soft zone... Dude gets a 5 yard dump off in front of him..... He tackles .. he's slower, missed way more tackles then usual and made very few impact plays.... He's not close to playing like a dude worth 20 mil.

He's making lots of tackles, but making them yards later. Kinda how KJ did. I doubt he will agree to less money in Seattle, so if we can trade him (and get a bonus pick), I say let's go for it for the future.

toffee

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":n44qkr2d said:
Ambrose83":n44qkr2d said:

He's making lots of tackles, but making them yards later. Kinda how KJ did. I doubt he will agree to less money in Seattle, so if we can trade him (and get a bonus pick), I say let's go for it for the future.

You got a point, not all tackles are the same, those few additional yards could be a 4th or a 1st down? Don't think Bobby would like to take a cut on his salary, his last big contract and all. If there's a team willing to pay him, for his future, family and all, he should go. But like him to come back for a season just so he could retire as a Hawks.

When both Russ and Bobby retires, one wonders if Bobby could be placed higher than Russ in their respective positions, although both will be one of the all time greats.

CPHawk

Reaction score
We need draft picks. Trade Him, Adams and Russ. Get a bunch of picks, re sign Diggs.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Seems like the same people who bitch about how our draft picks don't work out are the same folks calling for trading our top level, known quantity players for a roll of the dice. I see most of our issues being scheme and coaching. The league has changed. Our 1st ranked defense has went down every year since then to now having a 31 ranked defense, and our offense has never been top 10 consistently. Until we have coaching that is willing to adapt, no draft pick or top ten player (which you folks want to trade away) will make a difference.

Keep our good players, keep our good rookies and free agents, build around them. As it looks like Carroll is probably staying, get rid of Waldron as he is horrible at in game adaptation and strategy, and get rid of Norton as he has never cut it on any team.

Bring in young blood coaches. Give them half of next season to show something. If they don't, get rid of them and get new for second half of the season. We have garbage draft picks next year, so use that time to experiment with free agency and coaching. Get back to form by 2023.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Love me some Bwagz. Always have.

Look, dude's earned his stripes with me. Absolute ******* leader in the locker room.

He can stay as long as he wants. I don't care if he's a little softer in his 'old' age. I don't care if he's got a 5 yard buffer. I've even posted a couple 'has he lost a step' remarks myself. I don't care what we'd get on a trade. I don't care if his stats are soft-tackle biased.

He's earned the right to stay as long as he wants IMHO.

Never complains. Shows up every week and puts his heart into it.

I'll miss Bobby 10 times more than Russ if and when it all goes down.

Bwagz for Prez as far as I'm concerned ;)

You want a hole in leadership big enough to drive the James Webb Telescope through? Watch when Bobby isn't here. Dude is a stud, and a quiet capable one at that. Always been my guy.

Go ahead. Throw all kinda of stats and X and O's at me. I just don't care.

:0190l: