What should the Seahawks do with Penny (poll)

What should the Seahawks do with Rashaad Penny

• Sign him to a contract extension

Votes: 76 62.8%
  • Transition or Franchise tag him

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Let him walk in free agency

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters

Jerhawk

Reaction score
After the last few games, Rashaad Penny is finally showing the Seahawks why they spent a 1st round draft pick on him in 2018, passing on other players such as Nick Chubb.

Is this recent stretch by Penny a sign of things to come? Is he a late bloomer like Marshawn Lynch's career began in Buffalo?

Or, is it time to let him go, as we don't want to be burned by a player trying to get big numbers in a contract year? Especially considering the Seahawks waived the 5th year option on him

Share your thoughts!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1x8uam83 said:
After the last few games, Rashaad Penny is finally showing the Seahawks why they spent a 1st round draft pick on him in 2018, passing on other players such as Nick Chubb.

Is this recent stretch by Penny a sign of things to come? Is he a late bloomer like Marshawn Lynch's career began in Buffalo?

Or, is it time to let him go, as we don't want to be burned by a player trying to get big numbers in a contract year? Especially considering the Seahawks waived the 5th year option on him

Share your thoughts!
I wouldn’t want to extend a player that rarely plays and plays well on his terms.

Where was all this during his time here?

Very seldom, on again and off again.

And Penny ran well against a bottom five team.

I’d rather take my chances on a guy that plays more than he is injured/is not active, than Penny who is only good a handful of games during his Seahawks career.

Can’t count on a player like that.

justafan

Reaction score
I hate to see him go but we need a LT and C. I think the last few games will price us out of the market.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Extend him for two years with heavy emphasis on production and games played incentives.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I have no issues with re-signing him but I don't want to overpay him, and with his injury history, he's a high risk player, but with his performance of late, some team will probably overpay him. If we can get him on a reasonable deal, keep him around, if not, then I'd wish him the best of luck wherever he may land

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Just depends on price for me. league minimum? Sure why not. He has hardly played in 4 years and right at the tail end he shows off some real talent. Not sure a team could count on that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Two year deal with around 5-6M guaranteed, rest incentives.

That's as far as I'm willing to go with Penny. The good news IMO the rest of the league will feel the same, so I doubt he's going to get bum rushed with big contracts in free agency. RB's just aren't valued like that anymore, especially ones with his injury history.

Jville

Reaction score
He should be a lot healthier and productive now that he has become better at picking up his feet and keeping them moving.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think you attempt to re-sign him to a very attractive deal that is majority incentive-based, contingent on performance and active roster bonuses.

Pay him like a top-15 back if he hits his marks, and pay him as little as possible if he has a scrub relapse.

Can't let game-breaking talent get away, though. What a tragedy that Seattle drafted two extremely talented players that couldn't see the field in McDowell and Penny.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":179s4de9 said:

That's as far as I'm willing to go with Penny. The good news IMO the rest of the league will feel the same, so I doubt he's going to get bum rushed with big contracts in free agency. RB's just aren't valued like that anymore, especially ones with his injury history.

This is right where I'm thinking too. Very well said

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3hpmk0gl said:
I think you attempt to re-sign him to a very attractive deal that is majority incentive-based, contingent on performance and active roster bonuses.

Pay him like a top-15 back if he hits his marks, and pay him as little as possible if he has a scrub relapse.

Can't let game-breaking talent get away, though. What a tragedy that Seattle drafted two extremely talented players that couldn't see the field in McDowell and Penny.
My thought exactly, Penny displayed motivation and drive issues in the past, an incentive laden deal works wonders. He does have top talent when he motivated and fit.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Why in the world would any team guarantee him 5 or 6 mill? If thats the price then I would definitely not want them to sign him. The guy has hardly played in 4 years. That does not warrant guaranteed money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":wz1ntnyw said:
Why in the world would any team guarantee him 5 or 6 mill? If thats the price then I would definitely not want them to sign him. The guy has hardly played in 4 years. That does not warrant guaranteed money.

2.5 or 3M per year of guaranteed money?

That's not even a backup O-lineman salary. More than fair enough as part of a RB group to compete and hopefully see if Penny could turn into the RB most people thought he would coming out of college.

nutluck

Reaction score
If the price is right keep him. But if he wants 5 mil or more a year. I say let him walk because there is a big question if he can be depended on for a full year.

justafan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2t6eh3qe said:
Natethegreat":2t6eh3qe said:

That's not even a backup O-lineman salary. More than fair enough as part of a RB group to compete and hopefully see if Penny could turn into the RB most people thought he would coming out of college.

I imagined it being higher than that. Im not saying he would be worth it but I figure some team would gamble and overpay.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
justafan":2pqzuand said:
Sgt. Largent":2pqzuand said:
Natethegreat":2pqzuand said:

I imagined it being higher than that. Im not saying he would be worth it but I figure some team would gamble and overpay.

Very possible. Look what happened with Shaq Griffin last year, Jacksonville made a ridiculous offer he couldn't refuse.

But that's the risk you take when you let your players get to free agency, dumb teams overpaying. Not that our FO made a mistake with not exercising Penny's 5th year, it made no sense last off season.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Shaq Griffin played almost every game and was a pro bowl corner. There is really no comparison between the two.
Not to mention the fact that Griffin plays a premium position and Penny does not. I would be stunned if the Seahawks offered him a guaranteed salary anywhere near 5 mill. I doubt they offer him any guaranteed money.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2v7yrao1 said:

I'd probably go to 3 years, or at least I'm willing to. As for guaranteed money, I would put it in terms of roster bonuses and various player incentives. I'm for extending him, but I certainly want the team to protect itself. Say 3 years, $12 mill or so with 3-4 mill signing the first year and additional roster bonuses in years 2 and 3. There are ways to structure deals that would work.

I agree on not getting into a bidding war with other teams, but we'll probably look like we're paying more than most folks around here will like. :)

I find that most fans approach salary discussion being 2-3 years behind the curve on what's really going on around the league. ;)

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
For those that think it’s just a 3 game sample so far for Penny are probably clouded in judgement based on availability. When he’s healthy and plays, he’s dynamic and a home run threat every time he touches the ball. The problem is that he hasn’t been healthy in the NFL. He was healthy in college so perhaps the injuries he’s had as a Seahawk are more of an anomaly and we are finally seeing the real Penny.

It’s really not a 3 game sample size. So far in the 9 games he’s played this season, he has 96 Carrie’s for 559 yards. That equates to 5.8 yards per carry. Raise your hand if at the beginning of the season you would be disappointed with those numbers from Penny. My guess is that nearly to a person, everyone would have taken that and been pleased.

His career numbers are pretty close to this season’s numbers. His career numbers are 257 Carrys for 1382 yards for a 5.4 yard per carry average. When he plays, he is a very very good RB. With the number of holes on this team, not resigning him just digs another hole that needs to be filled. If I’m management, I’m looking at his production and feeling pretty good about the RB room. At least this year showed quality depth among the RBs. Give him a 1-2 year prove it deal and bring back Collins, Dallas, and Homer. I think Carson is done. Neck injuries are scary. Focus attention on the other areas of need instead of creating an additional need.

Latest posts