RW says he wants to stay in Seattle

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Wilson ended his Thursday availability by reiterating he wants to stay in Seattle.

“We’ve always thought I would be here,” Wilson said. “That’s been always my goal — to win multiple Super Bowls, and my plan is to be here and do that. You take every day and you just enjoy the moment.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... n-seattle/

I don't see Jody firing Pete and JS any more than I saw Kraft firing Belichick. If Russ truly wants to stay here, it will be with those guys, which means PC still runs the show.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
What is he supposed to say?He has his brand to protect SCH.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So, I am hoping he is really wanting to come back though I’m not sure why because without PC leaving nothings is going to change. One playoff win in SIX years after next year.

That said if he wanted to leave he would never say it. His agent would. Why would he jeopardize his local off field money flow by saying anything else?

For the record I want one more year of RW and PC gone with JS next Monday.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
And here we go........
Here's a thought, maybe he actually DOES want to stay. Whoa........
R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED....
Mind Blown!TM: RW WORLDWIDE INC

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Whatever you say. No matter what the guy says, people just immediately act like he's lying, or he's fake etc.
Again, NOBODY knows what's going to happen. NONE of us.
If Pete stays, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wants to leave. But until I see him actually traded, I'm not buying him leaving and/or forcing himself out.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":q81f8mkg said:
And here we go........

Good one!!!

Jville

Reaction score
Anyone want to start a forum pool as to how many iterations of that same recycled story will appear in 2021?

And speaking of recycled stories, how about this link for a trip down memory lane? >>> [urltargetblank]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/03/eagles-radio-crew-skipped-trip-to-fedex-field-because-its-a-dump/[/urltargetblank]

Jville

Reaction score
I see Russell Wilson isn't the only one subjected to trashy recycled noise from the same trashy network >>> [urltargetblank]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/06/baker-mayfield-takes-issue-with-report-that-he-may-ask-to-be-traded/[/urltargetblank]

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1r6w10d7 said:
Whatever you say. No matter what the guy says, people just immediately act like he's lying, or he's fake etc.
If Pete stays, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wants to leave. But until I see him actually traded, I'm not buying him leaving and/or forcing himself out.
That is because of actions Wilson has taken. Wilson is like a politician, he's filled with double speak and his words don't always match his actions.

Just last week we got this quote: “I know for me personally, I hope it’s not my last game (in Seattle), but at the same time I know it won’t be my last game in the NFL”

This is a rather odd thing to say for a guy that has a contract that stipulates a no-trade clause. Dissect this for a minute, he says "I hope it's not my last game in Seattle" as if he has no control over what the FO does. Is this just Wilson misspeaking? No, Wilson has always been very measured with his words in press conferences, almost robot like at times. He also has a contract that has an enormous amount of dead money if he were to be cut.

Then last season he went on a media blitz. Out of one side of his mouth he was saying "i want to stay in Seattle, and the other he was saying BUUUT if I were to be traded here are the teams I'd like to go to".

It all seems extremely disingenuous to me and many other fans. This is why people are not trusting a word that comes out of his mouth.

Jville

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2rogmmtf said:
SoulfishHawk":2rogmmtf said:
That is because of actions Wilson has taken. Wilson is like a politician, he's filled with double speak and his words don't always match his actions.

Just last week we got this quote: “I know for me personally, I hope it’s not my last game (in Seattle), but at the same time I know it won’t be my last game in the NFL”

This is a rather odd thing to say for a guy that has a contract that stipulates a no-trade clause. Dissect this for a minute, he says "I hope it's not my last game in Seattle" as if he has no control over what the FO does. Is this just Wilson misspeaking? No, Wilson has always been very measured with his words in press conferences, almost robot like at times. He also has a contract that has an enormous amount of dead money if he were to be cut.

Then last season he went on a media blitz. Out of one side of his mouth he was saying "i want to stay in Seattle, and the other he was saying BUUUT if I were to be traded here are the teams I'd like to go to".

It all seems extremely disingenuous to me and many other fans. This is why people are not trusting a word that comes out of his mouth.

Given the state of the media, everybody is advised to measure their words.

If the NFL didn't mandate press conferences, I'm inclined to think we would like hear a lot less from coaches and players alike. As a corollary to what is socially unfolding, the media instills zero trust in what it says and prints.

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":g54lxy5v said:
And here we go........
True, let's add Seattle to his approved destinations.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Jville":1wj5pmky said:
Spin Doctor":1wj5pmky said:
SoulfishHawk":1wj5pmky said:

Given the state of the media, everybody is advised to measure their words.

If the NFL didn't mandate press conferences, I'm inclined to think we would like hear a lot less from coaches and players alike. As a corollary to what is socially unfolding, the media instills zero trust in what it says and prints.
See, this is what I was getting at. Wilson is more polished and spends more time on his brand image than most NFL players. To him, he's not just a player, Wilson is a brand, a company. He conducts himself more like a CEO than a football player. Everything he says is weighed, measured and carefully thought out, one might even say crafted.

That is why when Wilson says words such as "I hope it's not my last game in Seattle", it's enough to give me pause given the way he's contract is structured. It's a seemingly innocuous statement that doesn't seem too out of place until you peel back the layers a little bit. He's playing with the media right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to make the same play he did last season if he views Carroll as stepping too far out of line or not hearing him.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure exactly what his end game is -- but I think we're going to see him and his agent pulling the same garbage that they pulled last offseason whether he stays or goes.

xray

Reaction score
There is only one person who loves the rumors and speculations and ultimately the spotlight more than Wilson's jock sniffing groupies ; and that is Wilson himself . He weally weally wuvs himself .

justafan

Reaction score
xray":1ie3ct3q said:
There is only one person who loves the rumors and speculations and ultimately the spotlight more than Wilson's jock sniffing groupies ; and that is Wilson himself . He weally weally wuvs himself .

There are a lot of people who care more, all the websites spreading them trying to get your eyes on all the ads. None of them care what the truth is and claim all sorts of stupid crap. They know what gets peoples panties in a bunch so we click on them and pretty soon an ad pops up on that backpack you were looking at 3 days ago trying to get you go back to REI. How many times has that CHI trade article made the rounds.

Wilson walking into Petes press conference and saying things are great doesnt sell stuff. Wilson helping the community doesnt sell stuff. Wilson wants to stab Pete in the neck sells stuff, AB sells stuff. Maybe Wilson started the Let him cook campaign but everybody who ran around clicking all the sites did the heavy lifting. One person strikes a match but its the herd who collects the firewood that turns it into a bonfire.

He will be here Sunday after that who knows.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":z2sxbynh said:
Wilson ended his Thursday availability by reiterating he wants to stay in Seattle.

“We’ve always thought I would be here,” Wilson said. “That’s been always my goal — to win multiple Super Bowls, and my plan is to be here and do that. You take every day and you just enjoy the moment.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... n-seattle/

I don't see Jody firing Pete and JS any more than I saw Kraft firing Belichick. If Russ truly wants to stay here, it will be with those guys, which means PC still runs the show.

I mean it would be really bad if a QB who didn't want to be here, made it a point to publicly tell everyone they don't want to be there. It's unprofessional and it shoots themselves in the foot regarding lost love by a city when they retire as it probably kills opportunity for publicity, media, advertisements, autograph signings, etc. etc. So yeah just a bad move in that regard.

Do we know that RW is upset with how things are? No. Do we know that RW is NOT upset with how things are? No (Sorry, I don't trust interviews for athletes and coaches who are professionals, because it's politics, they tell people what they want to hear and move on).

You're right it's hard to imagine Jody firing Pete and JS with all they have done for the org, especially from a business perspective. A team that is in playoff contention over a decade makes way more money than a team that goes up and down from toilet to contender once or twice at best in the same time span. That being said it's pretty obvious that the way PC wants to run the team/offense is NOT the way RW wants to play and/or be remembered as.

Yes all the rumors and speculation of what RW wants is just that rumors and speculation, but honestly there's so much of it, there's been interesting changes of schemes made and not made, and player decisions that it does seem there's a lot of truth of battle between RW and the FO. It's something that can't be ignored. Plus a lot of these media talking heads seem to get rumors and speculation from sources who wish to remain anonymous a lot of times they turn out to be the truth. Simply put...I'd take a rumor from Mark Schlereth almost as MORE truth than what a coach publicly said about a locker room situation in a post game interview.

Bottomline this offseason will bring us the reality it's going to end one of three ways.

1 - RW stays, Pete gets fired - RW will get to be involved with a new HC and we get to see what RW is capable of (or prove he really wasn't capable of all he thought he was)

2 - RW Stays AND Pete Stays - This means a serious conversation happened, Pete isn't gonna change, this means RW ate his ego and will play Pete ball.

3 - RW traded, Pete stays - RW couldn't eat his ego, Jody not firing Pete. Let's see if Pete can build another contender especially with RW's salary off the books. That being said he will still need a different answer for teams like the Rams even if he finds a QB that is capable at 1/10th of RW's salary.

If I had to put money on it today...I think it's #3 as the reality that will occur in the off season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points. NONE of us know what is happening behind closed doors. Is there tension? Clearly
But a lot of assumptions going on as well.
I hate to say it, but I think you're right. Starting to feel like Jodi is going to choose Pete over Russ.
Which would be a ridiculous decision, but I won't be shocked at all. :?

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kihwev8 said:
Good points. NONE of us know what is happening behind closed doors. Is there tension? Clearly
But a lot of assumptions going on as well.
I hate to say it, but I think you're right. Starting to feel like Jodi is going to choose Pete over Russ.
Which would be a ridiculous decision, but I won't be shocked at all. :?

Well you throw out the cook or you throw out one of the ingredients and replace it with a different one. If the cook is good he can create a new meal.