Another 100+ yards game for Penny

toffee

Reaction score
Penny has been productive, with help from our OL. At end of 3rd quarter, he has 103 yards on 17 carries, average 6.1 yards. Our boy is having a nice few games.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
21 carries, 173 yards. Our Penny is leading the league in yards per carry at 5.8 which will increase after this game which he is averaging 8.2 yards per. PFF rank: 75.8 before this game.

Sac

Reaction score
Healthy, he definitely looks like a first round pick. And a high one at that.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sac":22dfiyl4 said:
4 years too late. Even if we do sign him I really think we need to draft another guy and have him in a rotation. I do not trust the guy to stay healthy or motivated.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Cyrus12":kql83w7g said:
Definitely need a 3rd guy. I dont trust Carson or Penny.
Carson's career is pretty much done, that injury is the same one that ended Chancellor. I doubt that Carson will ever play another snap in the NFL again.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3ckrmiqo said:
Sac":3ckrmiqo said:
4 years too late. Even if we do sign him I really think we need to draft another guy and have him in a rotation. I do not trust the guy to stay healthy or motivated.
Funny, we agree but with a very different spin.

I don't think motivation was ever the real problem with Penny, and darned if his emergence doesn't coincide with Adrian Peterson being around to mentor him. I think it was a coaching and mindset problem and Penny learning to run between the tackles. Thank you AP, paying unexpected dividends.

Penny is showing he can be THE guy, can run between the tackles, can carry the ball 25 times a game, can move the chains. He is making Russell so much more effective, just like BeastMode did.

That said, any run-based offense needs multiple good backs, to deal with injuries, and generally spread the workload and keep at least 1 good RB healthy at all times.

So yeah, let's draft a good RB. We coulda had Jonathan Taylor but took LB Brooks, who is developing nicely. Or pick up a free agent or two. It would be foolish to only have one good RB.

All that said, here's hoping we re-sign Penny and keep him around and that this last stretch of games is also showing that Penny is figuring out how to stay healthy and available in the NFL.

Jville

Reaction score
One hundred and ninety yards on twenty three carries.

The over looked offense line has a lot to be proud of.

That was the kind of game the offensive line enjoys.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jville":38yxprm6 said:

I've recently come to believe our OL (acquisitions & development needs to prioritize run blocking for Russell to be most effective. After all, we won SB48 with unheralded rookies Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey as starters. They had one skill--pushing defenders off the ball, and occupying them so Marshawn could work his magic.

Obviously, Penny's been awesome... who is making such a difference in our OL on the run blocking? Is it this Jake Curhan dude, or some other combination, or is it better understanding of the Waldron offense by the OL, Penny, and Russell? 170, 190 yard games don't just randomly happen.

The Cardinals actually have a good run defense, and Penny and the Hawks OL lights them up for 190. So now the Penny naysayers can't complain that his big yards all came against weak opponents.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
olyfan63":3pnybool said:
Jville":3pnybool said:

I've recently come to believe our OL (acquisitions & development needs to prioritize run blocking for Russell to be most effective. After all, we won SB48 with unheralded rookies Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey as starters. They had one skill--pushing defenders off the ball, and occupying them so Marshawn could work his magic.

Obviously, Penny's been awesome... who is making such a difference in our OL on the run blocking? Is it this Jake Curhan dude, or some other combination, or is it better understanding of the Waldron offense by the OL, Penny, and Russell? 170, 190 yard games don't just randomly happen.

The Cardinals actually have a good run defense, and Penny and the Hawks OL lights them up for 190. So now the Penny naysayers can't complain that his big yards all came against weak opponents.
I think Curhan is the true take away here. Some of those holes I've been seeing are absolutely MASSIVE. Curhan has been killing it out there, bullying guys. We found a real one.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
:2thumbs:
olyfan63":fesvqegk said:
Jville":fesvqegk said:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
Well you will have to pay for him to stay now, rest of the league is going to bid for him.

This was not unexpected, the Cards aligned for him (yeah I did that) he was playing for his contract and he performed, don't underestimate the O line in front of him either, now you have to look there as well for retaining.

Thirdly Waldron and his offense worked when allowed to run, does Waldron get neutered again Game one next year as I will bet too little too late but just enough to save Pete happens now and he will go back to his controlling ways.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":3rohyrvj said:

Absolutely, OL was giving it to the DL and did a nice job, Penny was often untouched

mrblitz

Reaction score
The OL is definitely a big part of this, but it is great to see that Penny has such vision.

Jville

Reaction score
The late season emergence of Jake Curhan is no longer a secret.

And, Phil Haynes has worked his way back from previous injury and has shown well at both left guard last week and at right guard this final week. Great to have a versatile swing guard.

Very encouraging indicators of the direction of the offensive line. The line play has been a very good reflection of what Mike Solari is about.

Everybody benefits.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":1rx33j2h said:

And, Phil Haynes has worked his way back from previous injury and has shown well at both left guard last week and at right guard this final week. Great to have a versatile swing guard.

Very encouraging indicators of the direction of the offensive line. The line play has been a very good reflection of what Mike Solari is about.

Everybody benefits.

Instead of a wholesale change on OL, which could be very expensive, we might be able to spend more on LT replacement. Curhan, Jackson, Haynes, Lewis, and Pocic may be pretty good in run blocking, and adequate in pass blocking with some improvements.

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":u0vaml0g said:
Jville":u0vaml0g said:

Everybody benefits.

Instead of a wholesale change on OL, which could be very expensive, we might be able to spend more on LT replacement. Curhan, Jackson, Haynes, Lewis, and Pocic may be pretty good in run blocking, and adequate in pass blocking with some improvements.

Plenty of unfinished business to attend to. It remains to be seen if Duane Brown is done. Or if an encore performance awaits.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He's at like 650 yards the last 5 games. My take on Penny has always been put a good o-line in front of him and his break away speed and size will explode. . His ability to hit top speed after his first cut is exceptional for a back his size. Can the Seahawks trust his availability that's the decision they have to make. There's no doubt of his talent anymore this is like 5-6 consecutive games now of elite production. Does the o-line get some credit yes but Penny has the ability to take it to the house on any down so that's real.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Guys like Penny, they always come through when you don't need them. Time to move on. Let him be someone else's problem next year.

Latest posts