Top 5 players you would not want on the team for 2022

seabowl

Reaction score
For me it's:

Mayowa
Fuller
R Green
Geno (need a better backup)
Carson (that's if they re-sign Penney, not that Carsons bad at all but just fed up with rb's that can't stay on the field)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Collier
Everett (not close to worth what he's getting paid)
Mayowa (has been invisible)
Hyder (brutal signing, has done squat for MOST of the season)
Myers

toffee

Reaction score
seabowl":158iiph3 said:
toffee":158iiph3 said:

How in the world could I have forgotten Collier?

ABSOLUTELY

Because he truly is a forgotten man! He didn't do much the few times that he was on the field, which justified why he didn't get to play much.

iigakusei

Reaction score
When factoring in salary cap considerations:

Bobby Wagner
Jason Myers
Nick Bellore
Kerry Hyder
Benson Mayowa

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1nxyg6nu said:
Collier
Myers

I seem to be in the minority on this but to me Everett has a ton of ability and think he could be a stud. He does not go down easily and can be a matchup nightmare with DK and Lock.

Hyder sucked
Myers just had a down year and would give him another (as with most kickers it was his head not leg that was the issue)

chris98251

Reaction score
iigakusei":1k8y0q7b said:
When factoring in salary cap considerations:

Bobby Wagner
Jason Myers
Nick Bellore
Kerry Hyder
Benson Mayowa

Wilson - $37,000,000
Wagner - $20,350,000
Lockett - $10,050,000
Ford - $9,675,000
Adams - $9,110,000
Jackson - $9,000,000

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":znca2a6q said:
Collier
Myers

Pretty much where im at too except swap Myers with Pocic. I think Meyers season was an aberration, but we'll see.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
seabowl":2lxt1t4c said:
I seem to be in the minority on this but to me Everett has a ton of ability and think he could be a stud. He does not go down easily and can be a matchup nightmare with DK and Lock.

Unfortunately, I think what we saw with Everett is pretty much as high as his ceiling goes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He has dropped some easy passes, he has fumbled several times. He flashes at times, but is he clutch? Nope

Best laugh of the day, people wanting Russ gone. Gotta' love the classics :irishdrinkers:

mistaowen

Reaction score
1) Hyder - what a waste of money
2) Collier - what a waste of a first round pick
3) Bobby at his current salary, need to restructure to bring that $$$ down for an aging B+ MLB
4) Myers at his current salary, tough going from automatic to can this guy make a PAT? at that kind of money
5) Mayowa - need more from his position, not 'bad' per se but we can do a lot better

Then put money into OL and DL. Basically this offseason needs to be beefing up the trenches and not skimping by signing a bunch of depth to starting jobs. Go get a few big name players and be the bully again.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Assuming we are talking players under contract (cap savings in parenthesis):

1. Wagner. ($16.6M) $20M is way too much and expected a cut in 2022 the day it was signed. Then confirmed the day we drafted Brooks.

2. Mayowa. (1.5M) Not worries about the dead money. Since we already have 2 years of dead money on voidable years. Roll it up to 2022, clean up our future cap and get an equally productive back end rotation guy for the 1.5M

3. Collier (.986M). Kind of a brutal dead money hit at 2.4M. But if his ceiling is a healthy inactive for a third of our games -- then his real value is that of being on the 53 man roster. His cap savings is more than vet minimum. Get a vet minimum street agent cut during next TC and it's just a straight up talent upgrade. With some cash in hand to boot.

4. Carson (3.4M). Like a lot of contracts, he is in final year with a void year. So his 3M dead money hit is really only 1.5M more than it will ultimately be. Like the player, but ultimately he may be done with football entirely anyway not unlike Avril and Chancellor with similar neck injuries.

Honestly, Carson at his best was not as good as Penny has been week to week these last few weeks. If it's me, I'm plowing his cap space to resign Penny. Both are equally injury prone, but I feel like Carson's is the more serious in terms of limiting his future.

5. Hyder (2M). Much like Mayowa above. Seems both of these guys were hedges for potential failures of Taylor and Robinson in their sophomore seasons. I don't see the need to hedge these players and aside from the real cap savings -- the roster spots alone have more value if we allot them to developmental rookies in what looks like a pretty decent class of day 2/3 edges.

Not on list:

Everett: He is a UFA. So he's already technically (and truthfully) not on the team.

Myers: His cap hit as a percentage actually drops next year. Kickers are notoriously mercurial in their effectiveness. Kind of feels like we'd be selling low on his value of sorts.

Barton: It took forever and a day, but it feels like he's punching his cap weight now. I don't see an equally productive alternative for his cap savings and would rather roll with Barton than risk hitting on an R5 or R7 player. At those ranges, you can't really fill need since the likelihood a worthy player happens to be on the board at a specific position of need is ridiculously small.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pete's most successful teams have resulted from a whole bunch of guys MASSIVELY OUTPERFORMING their contracts. For the 2013 Seahawks, think Russell, Richard Sherman, Bobby, Irvin, Kam, Byron Maxwell, KJ, Malcolm Smith, Brandon Browner, Jeremy Lane, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Sweezy, Bailey, Bowie, Carpenter, Luke Willson, Lemuel JP all on cheap rookie contracts. One of Pete's great strength as a coach is bringing young guys up to NFL-level players quickly. We can't be successful if we have a lot of aging vets taking up big cap and underperforming their contracts. The 2013 Hawks had a number of veteran contributors on cheap/reasonable contracts. The 2013 Seahawks salary cap also had a ton of salary tied up in big-salary veterans who undercontributed their contracts, e.g. due to injuries. Harvin, Rice, $22M tied up in those two at WR. It was only the ridiculous number of young, cheap, overperforming players that allowed the Seahawks to overcome such foolish overpayments. Baldwin and Tate delivered on the field while the big-money FA WRs sat out.

LEAVE
Collier - gone--or is he so cheap that we keep as a stopgap fill-in?
Hyder - not earning his keep

KEEP
Myers - I'm with others, kickers are up and down, bring in competition, if he wins, keep him
Everett - had some great plays and some disastrous plays. I don't think he's all that expensive. Lots to be said for continuity with Waldron offense and potential for year-to-year improvement.

OTHER
Duane Brown - Yeah, but who would we replace him with? How much tread is left on those tires?
Shell - Is he worth a contract going forward? Seems like he was decent when healthy.
Bobby - Hope we can set up his contract so he can retire as a Seahawk. He's still good, just not $20M great.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I'd keep Rasheem for sure.

When they drafted him he was a pup just scratching the surface. 4 years under his belt and still just 24. Just popped with a 6.5 sack season.

I think the Hawks should want to be the beneficiaries of the investment. Could be seen as a bargain by age 26/27 if you get him on a palatable deal now.

Young coming in and showing steady progression is the reverse Collier.

Michael Bennett, age 24 season: rookie with 1 sack
Shaq Barrett age 24 season: 1.5 sacks
Matthew Judon, age 24: 4 sacks
Za'Darius Smith, age 24: 1 sack

Sheem is trending in a potentially exciting direction.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Kyle Fuller - Orange cones can block better than him
Benson Mayowa - Washed up
Jason Meyers - Can find better kickers in a scrap heap
Kerry Hyder - DL version of Cary Williams

I don't have top 5 players - as Pocic played well enough to stick on the team, maybe not as a starter though.

Elemas

Reaction score
Collier
LJ
LJ Collier
Seahawk Defensive End who’s name rhymes with Nail K Smallier.