87 Million Cap Space

stang233

Reaction score
I think when free agency hits they'll be a pretty good chance we have around 87 million in cap space. That really should be enough to make a dent and some of our holes. I'm not a big free agency guy, but I think we could bring in some players to bolster a few spots like defensive and defensive end. Also going to have to really look at our left and right tackles defensive end. Also going to have to really look at our left and right tackles

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Gotta start by putting up names. Just bringing in players is kind of like 'draft a guy'.

Also, if you have that kind of space, it's because you don't have a lot of contracts. So it basically dries up almost instantly just trying to field a team.

nutluck

Reaction score
Where do you get 87 million? Currently the Hawks last I checked was 55 million with only 43 million effective cap space after they sign enough players to fill out the roster on minimum contracts.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Future year cap space is an illusion because it only includes a partial roster. The players on your team who hit free agency and aren't included are often the ones you'd like to retain at increased prices.

For example, we'd be much better off with another year of Penny's cheap rookie contract even though it would make our cap space look lower.

nutluck

Reaction score
AgentDib":gkymvayi said:
Future year cap space is an illusion because it only includes a partial roster. The players on your team who hit free agency and aren't included are often the ones you'd like to retain at increased prices.

For example, we'd be much better off with another year of Penny's cheap rookie contract even though it would make our cap space look lower.

Yeah but he is a FA now so if they want him back we will likely have to pay him well because some team will.

djb28

Reaction score
Why wouldn't we put it on offensive line. Why does everyone always want to bolster the defense and get receivers?

sdog1981

Reaction score
Just before everyone gets crazy about cap space, just remember....

THE NUMBER MEANS NOTHING!!!

The Seahawks have 87 million because they only have 37 contracts on the books for 2022. They will need to sign 16 more players to get to 53 with the top 51 contracts counting against the cap.

OP
OP
S

stang233

Reaction score
Bobby LJ Carson Dwayne Brown Myers would add another 30ish million

iigakusei

Reaction score
Yeah I am sure PC and JS will make some wise free agent signings just like 2020.

Jarran Reed $9.35m
Greg Olsen $6.9m
Bruce Irvin $5.9m
Carlos Hyde $4m
B.J. Finney $3.5m
Brandon Shell $3.475m
Quinton Dunbar $3.421m
Jacob Hollister $3.259m
Benson Mayowa $3.018m
Mike Iupati $2.5m
Cedric Obuehi $2.237m
Joey Hunt $2.1m
Branden Jackson $2.1m
David Moore $2.1m
Geno Smith $887,500
Neiko Thorpe $887,500
Luke Willson $887,500
Phillip Dorsett $887,500
Chance Warmack $887,500

What an absolute disaster.

seabowl

Reaction score
iigakusei":3nbj38ep said:
Yeah I am sure PC and JS will make some wise free agent signings just like 2020.

Jarran Reed $9.35m
Greg Olsen $6.9m
Bruce Irvin $5.9m
Carlos Hyde $4m
B.J. Finney $3.5m
Brandon Shell $3.475m
Quinton Dunbar $3.421m
Jacob Hollister $3.259m
Benson Mayowa $3.018m
Mike Iupati $2.5m
Cedric Obuehi $2.237m
Joey Hunt $2.1m
Branden Jackson $2.1m
David Moore $2.1m
Geno Smith $887,500
Neiko Thorpe $887,500
Luke Willson $887,500
Phillip Dorsett $887,500
Chance Warmack $887,500

Yikes

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
stang233":hwg3v1o6 said:
Bobby LJ Carson Dwayne Brown Myers would add another 30ish million

Wait, you're not bringing back ANY of these guys? And just because you're not bringing back any or all of them, doesn't mean you're not spending equal or greater numbers on their replacement.

You don't want Brown? Where are you finding a LT of his caliber for less than 10M a year? How bout a kicker?

You cut Carson, you're still paying 3M in dead cap.

So yeah man, not even CLOSE to what you're saying is our cap number. We'll be lucky to have 30M in cap space after the dust settles on all of this. Still a good cap place to be. But it's sure as hell not 87M.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
djb28":16q3fr1j said:
Why wouldn't we put it on offensive line. Why does everyone always want to bolster the defense and get receivers?

Because everyone only looks at stats and there's no sexy Fantasy Football stats for O-linemen. Imagine if there was some kind of stat they would drop on TV like oh this Lineman has pushed a D-Lineman on his ass X/season Y/game. This lineman creates a run gap X/game. Seriously the only mainstream stat there ever is on a lineman is negative ones (false starts, holding, given up sacks).

Fade

Reaction score
seabowl":pl3cl136 said:
iigakusei":pl3cl136 said:

Jarran Reed $9.35m
Greg Olsen $6.9m
Bruce Irvin $5.9m
Carlos Hyde $4m
B.J. Finney $3.5m
Brandon Shell $3.475m
Quinton Dunbar $3.421m
Jacob Hollister $3.259m
Benson Mayowa $3.018m
Mike Iupati $2.5m
Cedric Obuehi $2.237m
Joey Hunt $2.1m
Branden Jackson $2.1m
David Moore $2.1m
Geno Smith $887,500
Neiko Thorpe $887,500
Luke Willson $887,500
Phillip Dorsett $887,500
Chance Warmack $887,500

Yikes

$50M spent on JAGs, what's the problem? :pukeface:

They then followed this up by panicking and trading away Two 1sts and a 3rd for Jamal Adams, realizing they had not acquired any blue chip players with all of that money spent. One of the worst offseasons in Seahawks history.

Fade

Reaction score
They can create a ton more room by cutting the vets that should be cut, and resigning the cheap ERFAs to fill out the bottom of the roster, so yes the Seahawks have more than $50M dollars to spend as it pertains to re-signing their own and upcoming UFAs.

Playing with the Calculator -->

I cut Wagner, Myers, Collier, Carson, Hyder, and Blair.

Signed cheap ERFAs: Neal, Mone, John Reid, Hart, Muse, Warrior, Rhattigan, Ursua, Heslop, Webb, Shepley.

Retained RFA Phil Haynes on the original round tender.
Also signed Geno Smith to a vet min deal as a place holder.

Giving the Seahawks 50/51 players on the roster and $70.4M in cap space.

Wagner is key, $16.6M in cap space alone can be created for 2022 by cutting him.

The salary cap has turned into a bit of a joke though. Teams have been signing guys with voidable years to keep the cap hits down, Seahawks included last off-season. Which the league should get rid of this practice if they actually care about competitive balance.

So the Seahawks can spend a whole lot more if they really want to. $50M could turn into as much as $250M if they want to stretch voidable years to their max. No team would, just trying to point out if a team really wanted to they could kick that can down the road. Ultimately there is more flexibility than just $50M to spend and that's it, it's not that rigid.

That is not even getting into restructures that can create cap space out of thin air at any given time when needed.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah it was so bad that year, we went 12-4 and won our division.

nutluck

Reaction score
Fade":2pek3hvk said:
They can create a ton more room by cutting the vets that should be cut, and resigning the cheap ERFAs to fill out the bottom of the roster, so yes the Seahawks have more than $50M dollars to spend as it pertains to re-signing their own and upcoming UFAs.

Playing with the Calculator -->

I cut Wagner, Myers, Collier, Carson, Hyder, and Blair.

Signed cheap ERFAs: Neal, Mone, John Reid, Hart, Muse, Warrior, Rhattigan, Ursua, Heslop, Webb, Shepley.

Retained RFA Phil Haynes on the original round tender.
Also signed Geno Smith to a vet min deal as a place holder.

Giving the Seahawks 50/51 players on the roster and $70.4M in cap space.

Wagner is key, $16.6M in cap space alone can be created for 2022 by cutting him.

The salary cap has turned into a bit of a joke though. Teams have been signing guys with voidable years to keep the cap hits down, Seahawks included last off-season. Which the league should get rid of this practice if they actually care about competitive balance.

So the Seahawks can spend a whole lot more if they really want to. $50M could turn into as much as $250M if they want to stretch voidable years to their max. No team would, just trying to point out if a team really wanted to they could kick that can down the road. Ultimately there is more flexibility than just $50M to spend and that's it, it's not that rigid.

That is not even getting into restructures that can create cap space out of thin air at any given time when needed.

I agree, I was only pointing out that as things stand right now, how much they currently have.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":20atlgzk said:
Yeah it was so bad that year, we went 12-4 and won our division.
Did we really though? We got kicked in by the Rams fielding a QB with a broken throwing hand at home. That was a pretty big L handed to us by a division rival in the playoffs.

hawks85

Reaction score
nutluck":152s2zb2 said:
AgentDib":152s2zb2 said:

Yeah but he is a FA now so if they want him back we will likely have to pay him well because some team will.

Exactly what I have been saying. Someone told me Seattle will offer him 2yr/8mil...Uh yeah that's not gonna happen. There will be at least one team that offers him a boatload of money despite the injury stuff. It happens every year. Some team will offer him 8-10 mil a year on a 2-4 year or something like that. I'm telling you it's gonna happen and we shall see where penny's heart lies. The money or staying in Seattle.