Big Al wants to return for 2022 season.

Jville

Reaction score
https://www.seahawks.com/video/al-woods ... the-awesom
"It was awesome," Woods said of his 2021 season. "All I can say is awesome. I had God on my side the whole time. It was one of those things where it was like everything was just clicking. I feel good. I still feel good. I just had a conversation with John Schneider and them fifteen minutes ago, and they asked me what I wanted to do, and I told them I wanted to come back. We're going to see how that works. I'm still ready to roll."

Asked what makes Seattle special having played for four other teams, Woods said, "For one, it's just the honesty. The honesty and level of communication that we have that you can be honest with them. You don't have to lie and try to limp your way through something. If you say, 'Hey man, my shoulder isn't feeling good today. I think it's best that I rest today and I practice tomorrow.' It's like, all right. Cool. No problem. Just make sure you're out there for the run periods so you can see your plays and see what you need to see, and then go get in the pool and work your shoulder out and make sure you're good for Sunday.' That's one of the main things that I think is a great thing here is the level of honesty and respect they have for us and we have for them. Just the pure energy. It's never a dull day. That's the awesome part, it's never a dull day. You come in and always have fun and express yourself. That in itself is unique."

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/monday-round-up-media-reactions-to-seahawks-38-30-victory-over-the-arizona-cardi[/urltargetblank]

Press Conference Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/video/al-woods-on-the-seahawks-organization-there-s-never-a-dull-day-that-s-the-awesom[/urltargetblank]

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Al Woods was one of my favorite players to watch this year. Good attitude, solid performer, and you can tell his teammates feed off of his energy every time he made a big play. I think Al is at the point in his career where he knows he has 1-2 good years left and he's been around enough to know the culture in Seattle is worth taking less than top dollar in FA for (which he won't see anyway).

Better question is, what do they do with Bobby Wagner? I don't see him coming back at his current salary. Quandre Diggs is also an X Factor, can he recover from his injury and will he come back or is it career ending? Those are two big shoes to fill.

As long as Russ is staying, the only real question I have on offense is will they resign Penny? On defense though, there are a lot of question marks.

toffee

Reaction score
Poona at 3 tech was underwhelming pass rushing wise, perhaps we move Poona back at 1 tech and split time with big Al? That way we could go and get a productive 3 tech, I don't think Collier could suddenly pull a Penny next season?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I remember a number of years ago when the self serving east coast press declared Luke Kuechly the best middle linebacker in all the land. Luke had the protection of big defensive linemen keeping him clean. Bobby Wagner on the other hand was on his own without such protection. Seahawk defensive linemen up front, the most memorable of which was Michael Bennett, were at greater liberty to wreck havoc.

What goes around comes around. There are 31 other organizations competing for the same talent pool. If interest in jumbo power players falls off, then supply improves and costs become more friendly. It's the areas of improved supply and coincidentally more affordable supply that John and Pete must exploit to be competitive every year. Because, every year all 32 teams reset and the resulting supply and demand shifts. The objective is to be out on the front wave of trends. Better to lead rather than follow.

For 2021, Bobby Wagner had the protection to roam more freely. Prior to his injury, Ben Burr-Kirven was a legitimate back up and potential spot player in passing situations because of his exceptional speed. With legitimate protection up front, Cody Barton becomes a viable backup and possible successor.

Big Al Woods has shown the way. He possesses more than the requisite size as a protector. He also operates with a requisite protector mentality. A siege mentality. And Al's mentality is consistently there in play after play. It's a mentality that Clint Hurtt highly values. I think that mentality was what Clint was brought in to install. A greater physicality. And in the aftermath of the last game, Al Woods was someone John Schneider sought out to ask how he felt about coming back for another season in 2022.

All of this leads up to the point that the front seven structure has changed considerably. So depending on what effect the other 31 organizations have on the talent pool, we could see a further evolution as trends work themselves out.

I would very much like to see Big Al return. Not only does he provide freedom to roam to the linebackers, he also demonstrates how to play in a manner that can only accelerate the development of some very promising defensive tackles.

sutz

Reaction score
I'd take him back. Our DTs have been pretty acceptable this year at clogging the running lanes up front and protecting the LBs. Not to mention throwing in a handful of sacks, which are pretty rare from DTs.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe the Seahawks will bring Woods back next season. Solid player.

The NFL draft is deep with DT talent. I believe it may be one of the stronger position groups in the draft - Phidrian Mathis, ALA, Tyler Davis, Clemson, Perrion Winfrey, OKla, or Devante Wyatt, GA may be available when the Seahawks pick in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-D...-College-Defensive-Tackles-2022-NFL-Draft.asp

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Clint Hurtt & company experimented with the Red Bryant type role in 2021. Who knows what John Schneider's crew will reveal for us a few months from now.

Déjà vu ?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":lmj586sf said:
Priority imo, he had a hell of a season.

I could not agree more! :2thumbs:

Was a huge (no joke) part of the improvement of the D as the season went on.

He was a tone setter and genuinely difficult for opponents to deal with running against.

It also appeared to be the case that the younger players thought a lot of him as well.

toffee

Reaction score
Al totally overwhelmed us with his performance, Poona somewhat underwhelmed as 3 tech. May be Poona and Al can split time as our nose next season? 17 games, got to save those legs for post season, splitting time helps. We lack a productive 3 tech that demands double teaming, if we have that, our DE will become more productive, also helps whoever that takes over the MLB position. Unless LJ Collier start eating his spinach and be the guy at 3.