Brian Flores - DC

hinton

Reaction score
Not seen this discussed anywhere, but what are peoples opinions on the potential of Brian Flores as DC.

The Seahawks D has ended well but started terrible two years in a row, and It's been average overall. There's some young talent for a DC to work with

IIRC Brian Flores was part of the Patriots stonewalling the Mcvay/Gurley Rams in the Superbowl year.

Edit: There's also the potential of him taking over from PC as HC eventually. Flores has HC experience and seemed to be doing a good job in a bad Dolphins organisation, I'm still surprised they fired him.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think he'll get another HC job this year but if not and Pete wants to move on form Norton then i think he'd be great.

Dolphins roster is garage i thought he did a pretty good job with what they had there.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Would be an upgrade but imagine he will get HC offers. Miami fans are pretty angry he got fired.

OP
OP
hinton

hinton

Reaction score
I was thinking he'd get HC offers too.

Maybe the prospect of being a DC with the agreement to become a HC of a well-ran organisation after a couple of years will be tempting.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hinton":uabeziyx said:
I was thinking he'd get HC offers too.

Maybe the prospect of being a DC with the agreement to become a HC of a well-ran organisation after a couple of years will be tempting.

So not in Seattle then?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The bigger question is, will there be an opening for a DC in Seattle and when?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
The fervor among Seahawks Twitter about Flores reminds me so much of the fervor around John DeFillipo in 2017 and Joe Brady in 2019.

Not to say Flores isn’t a good coach and his players seem blind sided.

But he’s getting a lot of hype for a guy that finished sub .500 in three seasons with the Dolphins. Pete was 2 games above .500 in year 3 by comparison.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Flores did it with garbage QBs.

How did Pete do with Geno?

Flores shouldn't be a DC.

Hopefully, Flores learns from this because it does look like he favors Defense to offense, and that is probably what got the Vikings HC fired.

To get the kind of results he got with the poor-quality roster doesn't mean he will be a championship coach. The NFL favors offense right now and you had better learn to score if you want to go deep in the playoffs regularly.

But remember he wanted Herbert, instead of Tua. And Tua was shoved on him. Tua is not great. At all.

Not saying Herbert would be as good in a different situation, but he looks like he would be better than Tua by miles.
If they had listened to Flores, they are probably in the playoffs. The problem was likely the GM, not Flores.

I would take Flores over Pete any day of the week (current Pete, not Pete 10 years ago, of course).

Honestly, I can think of 4-5 coaches I would rather have him over.

But if you don't have a QB, you don't have a chance. Ask Denver about that. And so he really did not have a chance.

Wonder if the Jags will take him? ...but he shouldn't be a DC. He can do better.

I will take Fangio or Zimmer for the Seahawks though.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yxes1122":o9kzlqne said:
The fervor among Seahawks Twitter about Flores reminds me so much of the fervor around John DeFillipo in 2017 and Joe Brady in 2019.

But he’s getting a lot of hype for a guy that finished sub .500 in three seasons with the Dolphins. Pete was 2 games above .500 in year 3 by comparison.

He inherited a bad situation. Started rebuilding with the generally incompetent Grier at GM. Forced to pick the wrong quarterback, and still went 10-6 and 9-8 after his 5-11 debut year where all the cornerstones got traded.

Flores got the can because either he wasn't on board with Tua, or because he lost a power struggle with Grier. Or both.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Bears are looking at Flores as HC. I would love to see Fangio take over our DC duties. Sadly, it looks as though Norton will be back.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Theoretically, Fangio is fairly compatible philosophy-wise. Probably not personality-wise.

Pass on Zimmer. Just a total culture mismatch.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":lsl844s0 said:
Yxes1122":lsl844s0 said:

He inherited a bad situation. Started rebuilding with the generally incompetent Grier at GM. Forced to pick the wrong quarterback, and still went 10-6 and 9-8 after his 5-11 debut year where all the cornerstones got traded.

Flores got the can because either he wasn't on board with Tua, or because he lost a power struggle with Grier. Or both.

Maybe comparing to DeFilippo/Brady was harsh. I don’t think he’s a bad coach by any means.

But there is always a media darling coach in the offseason that gets hyped. And fans don’t consider if his system fits the personnel of the team, if he even wants the demotion to DC, if his personality meshes with Pete’s, etc.

And if the goal is substitute Pete with Flores, I don’t get that either—given that I’d consider the roster Pete inherited from Mora was just as bad and by year 3, Pete had 2 playoff wins and an above .500 record. With less 1st round picks to turn the roster around.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yxes1122":251stgfx said:
Maelstrom787":251stgfx said:
Yxes1122":251stgfx said:

Maybe comparing to DeFilippo/Brady was harsh. I don’t think he’s a bad coach by any means.

But there is always a media darling coach in the offseason that gets hyped. And fans don’t consider if his system fits the personnel of the team, if he even wants the demotion to DC, if his personality meshes with Pete’s, etc.

And if the goal is substitute Pete with Flores, I don’t get that either—given that I’d consider the roster Pete inherited from Mora was just as bad and by year 3, Pete had 2 playoff wins and an above .500 record. With less 1st round picks to turn the roster around.

I agree that Flores is a bad fit for DC and I don't think I'd want him as a HC here. Just think he got a raw deal in Miami.

I think he'll do well in another role. Shame if he doesn't get another HC shot.

TCHawks

Reaction score
He would be fantastic but Pete doesn't want to be challenged. If Norton is gone he will hire someone who is forced to do it Pete's way. It's why we've had guys leave or not want to come back even though they love Pete. It's a problem

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TCHawks":2tdnos6z said:
He would be fantastic but Pete doesn't want to be challenged. If Norton is gone he will hire someone who is forced to do it Pete's way. It's why we've had guys leave or not want to come back even though they love Pete. It's a problem

Team fit is a massive consideration when it comes to coordinators.

He's a good coach, but where's the fit? Where's the synergy?

If Seattle was cleaning house, Flores would be high atop my list, but alas...

chris98251

Reaction score
Norton is safe because he follows Pete's instructions and doesn't make waves. We will have to deal with it.

jeremiah

Reaction score
hinton":11sjdb0r said:
Not seen this discussed anywhere, but what are peoples opinions on the potential of Brian Flores as DC.

The Seahawks D has ended well but started terrible two years in a row, and It's been average overall. There's some young talent for a DC to work with

IIRC Brian Flores was part of the Patriots stonewalling the Mcvay/Gurley Rams in the Superbowl year.

Edit: There's also the potential of him taking over from PC as HC eventually. Flores has HC experience and seemed to be doing a good job in a bad Dolphins organisation, I'm still surprised they fired him.

Sign Josh McDaniel, let him bring along his own DC. Lets' have an offensive mind for the new century...lol

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
None of these guys are going to be our OC/DC.

Not while Pete is here. It's a coordinator graveyard.