Rasheem Green and LJ Collier, keep?

toffee

Reaction score
Our two DEs, both young and drafted in high rounds, Green played a lot this season, Collier hardly at all. Do you want to keep or move on from these two? They were supposed to be our DE of the future when they were drafted.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Green at least flashes from time to time and makes some plays. Collier makes about 1 good play a season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even after June 1st Collier's dead cap hit is 1M.

So it really makes no sense not to keep him as depth. Hard to type that, but that's what he is, a mediocre too often healthy lineup scratch.

But again, really no reason to cut him, you're not saving much. Might as well let him play out his rookie deal.

Green played almost 70% of the snaps, so you need to keep him around, especially at less than 1M. That's a great deal for a DE that plays that many snaps.

All this conversation proves is how terrible our pass rush was outside of Dunlap and Taylor.

seabowl

Reaction score
I have been on this board saying for some time Green is a waste. Three years and little improvement. Cut

Collier is Lamar King 2.0. Cut

getnasty

Reaction score
Keep Greene he's younger with better upside. I'm fine letting Collier go though.

justafan

Reaction score
Depends bon what Green is going to ask for. OTC has him as a UFA. Collier? It shouldnt be hard to find a player good enough earn a uniform on game day. I would just as soon keep a undrafted player who at least has upside and eat the dead space. Maybe we can hope for that miracle contract year effort from him.
We need more pressure from the Dline or we will be in the same boat as this year.

hinton

Reaction score
If feels like we've been saying "next year Green will take the next step" for about 4 seasons.

It'll be frustrating as hell if we give up on him now and he becomes a baller for another team next season. If the number is low enough I'd keep him.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I dont know why, but I still hold out hope every season that Green is finally going to get it. He never does though lol.

Collier is just a waste. Let him go for sure.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I'd keep Rasheem for sure.

When they drafted him he was a pup just scratching the surface. 4 years under his belt and still just 24. Just popped with a 6.5 sack season.

I think the Hawks should want to be the beneficiaries of the investment. Could be seen as a bargain by age 26/27 if you get him on a palatable deal now.

Young coming in and showing steady progression is the reverse Collier.

Michael Bennett, age 24 season: rookie with 1 sack
Shaq Barrett age 24 season: 1.5 sacks
Matthew Judon, age 24: 4 sacks
Za'Darius Smith, age 24: 1 sack

Sheem is trending in a potentially exciting direction.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rasheem is a fine depth piece. People just want to cut every player that isn't a star, unfortunately.

You need those rotational guys.

rcaido

Reaction score
Not sure with all the hate on Green. I really like him.

As for Collier, i say keep him if we get a new DC.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rcaido":3pt60if9 said:
Not sure with all the hate on Green. I really like him.

As for Collier, i say keep him if we get a new DC.

48 tackles, 6.5 sacks.

I mean, on this anemic D-line, that's Reggie White numbers. So yes, if we're discussing to bring Green back or not for a depth D-lineman? Sure.

Jville

Reaction score
To my way of thinking, Rasheem Green came out of college too early.

I liked how Rasheem Green progressed this year. He played/contained the run much better than in the past. He finished the season as a much better balanced lineman.

It takes time to develop into a well rounded lineman. Some do it. Some don't. Green was involved in 66.8% of the snaps in 2021.

He may not be at the top of their list of priorities. But, I suspect Green's best years are yet to come. I suppose he resigns if he fits what Clint Hurtt is building toward in 2022.

L.J. Colllier? No comment.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Green seems like just a guy. Depends on the contract. Collier is probably gone.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Given Green's age, this season could have been considered a rookie year. And for a rookie, 6.5 sacks, 48 tackles and playing 66% of the DL snaps is great thing. You try to re sign him for sure. You won't get more production at that age for cheaper I suspect.

Collier is still under a rookie deal and you don't dump those guys unless they are awful since even journeymen veteran DL can be more costly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Green is a keep for rotation, and he is still improving and getting stronger.

For those that think you can sign a F.A dream team time wo wake the hell up, you need depth, and he is at minimum depth and cheap depth that performs.

kf3339

Reaction score
I agree with most that Green is worth bringing back, but Collier should be gone. There is nothing to save with him IMO.

John63

Reaction score
On the same sheet bring back green let colliar go.

Jville

Reaction score
I guess I'll make a comment about LJ Collier after all.

Collier is under contract for 2022. There is no significant cap impact in releasing him now. Like everyone else, he had an exit interview with his position coach. As off season events unfold, a position coach will work with Collier to develop a plan for success in 2022. At the very least, he should bring some useful experience to off season training activities.

My plan is to wait and see what role develops for Collier.