Cowboys final play was worst than the interception vs Pats!

Tokadub

Reaction score
The final Cowboys play...

That was probably worst than when the Seahawks threw it over the middle and lost the Super Bowl vs the Patriots on a play where Jermaine Kearse was schemed to block Brandon Browner. Brandon Browner played for the Seahawks when we won a Super Bowl, so expecting Jermaine Kearse to block him so our #3-5 receiver (Ricardo Lockette) could try to catch a pass was IDIOTIC.

Not to mention we had Marshawn Lynch waiting to win...

I think what the Cowboys did here was worst than that trash Seahawks call with a short QB throwing a timing pass over the middle into mass coverage with a block vs Brandon Browner.

At least the Seahawks play made sense schematically (if you substituted a bunch of generic players instead of Brandon Browner and Malcom Butler), I feel what the Cowboys did was just straight up reckless.

So we can say we don't have the stupidest play call in NFL playoff history now.

- It was nice to see Kyler Murray throw an underhanded baby egg throw to the Rams on the goal line... that was worst play too, but we are talking about play calls.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tokadub":3541k1h9 said:

That was probably worst than when the Seahawks threw it over the middle and lost the Super Bowl vs the Patriots on a play where Jermaine Kearse was schemed to block Brandon Browner. Brandon Browner played for the Seahawks when we won a Super Bowl, so expecting Jermaine Kearse to block him so our #3-5 receiver (Ricardo Lockette) could try to catch a pass was IDIOTIC.

I think what the Cowboys did here was worst than that trash Seahawks call with a short QB throwing a timing pass over the middle into mass coverage with a block vs Brandon Browner.

At least the Seahawks play made sense schematically (if you substituted a bunch of generic players instead of Brandon Browner and Malcom Butler), I feel what the Cowboys did was just straight up reckless.

- It was nice to see Kyler Murray throw an underhanded baby egg throw to the Rams on the goal line... that was worst play too, but we are talking about play calls.

No it wasn't worse, not even close.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think you are talking about the outcome of the play.

I'm talking about the play call. There is no doubt in my mind the Cowboy's play call was far stupider. It was reckless, straight up idiotic.

Even more so than not running Lynch.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Running a play that goes from 80% win to 99.999999999% lose THE SUPERBOWL in the blink of an eye will always be the worst play in the history of the NFL. I'll call it even worse than the Falcons choke two seasons later.

seabowl

Reaction score
You can say that there is at least 1 call per every game that were worse than the call vs the Pats but that isn't saying much. It was all about the situation to win or lose the SUPERBOWL that made the call the worst in the history of the game.

By the way as I've stated before on here, what most people forget was Belichecks blunder. If the Hawks actually scored on "the play" his not taking a time out would have gone down as one of the biggest bonehead decisions ever but he came out smelling like a rose although verrry lucky.

Rat

Reaction score
Oh good, now I can finally move past it after seven years. I wish another team had done something stupid earlier.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":39s3d8w6 said:
You can say that there is at least 1 call per every game that were worse than the call vs the Pats but that isn't saying much. It was all about the situation to win or lose the SUPERBOWL that made the call the worst in the history of the game.

By the way as I've stated before on here, what most people forget was Belichecks blunder. If the Hawks actually scored on "the play" his not taking a time out would have gone down as one of the biggest bonehead decisions ever but he came out smelling like a rose although verrry lucky.

Or he was smart because he forced them to pass and put in the proper pass protection personnel knowing their tendencies

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And none of that changes the FACT that the defense gave up a 10 point 4th quarter lead. But please, continue to ignore that.

seabowl

Reaction score
ZagHawk":18u194g3 said:
seabowl":18u194g3 said:

Or he was smart because he forced them to pass and put in the proper pass protection personnel knowing their tendencies

I never bought into that theory. I truly think Belicheck messed up as he absolutely should have called a time out. He seriously got very lucky.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
chris98251":nv7mnb9s said:
Tokadub":nv7mnb9s said:

No it wasn't worse, not even close.

I agree. Not even close. Not even in the same ballpark. If I had to pick a bonehead - it's the Romo hold from years ago. This was just dumb - they weren't winning the game no matter WTF happened on that snap.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tokadub":g8yupxsp said:

The “2nd and wrong” in 49 was worse because it was the super bowl and cost you a Lombardi trophy.
The Dallas play is an extremely close 2nd though.

Elemas

Reaction score
Rat":3s09ckk2 said:
Oh good, now I can finally move past it after seven years. I wish another team had done something stupid earlier.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this but, no. You cannot move on.

Ye shall continue to wallow, wrecked with pain, just as the rest of us shall do. We’re still #1 in this category.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":jbcglo10 said:
And was even worse than the defense giving up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of the SB.
You do recall the injuries that occurred?? Tharold Simon?? Sherman with one arm? The horrendously bad drop by Kearse?

It was a horrible play by the boys..it just didn't come with a sb win a couple yards away with arguably the best back in football right there...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I remember all of it. They lost that game for several reasons. Not just one.
I was at the game, yes, I remember it all. It's the most p*** off I've ever been at the end of a game.
But, that one play is still not, and never was the only reason they lost the SB.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This will be barely remembered, brought up occasionally like the non-catch/catch by Dez Bryant.

Even if the Cowboys don't make that call, they had a low chance of winning the game.

And for a lower-tier playoff game loss.

Not even comparable to a play that went from likely winning the SB to 100% chance of a loss.

Not even close to the worst play call in the history of the playoffs whereas the SB call is widely regarded at THE worst play call in SB history.

They are not even close.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2cnos3ng said:
I remember all of it. They lost that game for several reasons. Not just one.
I was at the game, yes, I remember it all. It's the most p*** off I've ever been at the end of the a game.
But, that one play is still not, and never was the only reason they lost the SB.
At the game...I couldn't imagine live...the ptsd would be much worse

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And our section was right above it, literally. Going to a Super Bowl was something I will always remember and appreciate. Sure the ending sucked, but that was a hell of a football game leading up to that play. With all the guys in LOB playing injured, Avril going out with his concussion, losing a solid corner to a brutal injury etc. It was pretty amazing they were up 10 in the 4th quarter.
The miracle catch by Kearse to even put us in that spot, that was just a crazy sequence all around.
Him missing that pass earlier, it really did feel like that could haunt them later. They needed to add on some 4th quarter points.
To be honest, I had a hard time sleeping for several weeks after that game. But, at some point you gotta' move forward. And all these years later, I still get pissed off talking about it.
That's sports, sometimes it's a kick in the gut.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dciwf4w said:
And our section was right above it, literally. Going to a Super Bowl was something I will always remember and appreciate. Sure the ending sucked, but that was a hell of a football game leading up to that play.
The miracle catch by Kearse to even put us in that spot, that was just a crazy sequence all around.
Him missing that pass earlier, it really did feel like that could haunt them later. They needed to add on some 4th quarter points.
To be honest, I had a hard time sleeping for several weeks after that game. But, at some point you gotta' move forward.
Imo it was the best sb of all time..up until the end..if I wasn't a fan of either team I'd say no other matched that game. Yes it was a crushing defeat...it still bothers me to watch the ending

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've never watched a replay of the game, not once.
I see why so many want to blame one play, and that's fine. It just took me a long time to step back and realize there was a lot more to it than just that play. It has always been assumed that 100 percent he would have scored on a handoff.
It was other people who kept reminding me that we did have a 10 point lead and couldn't play add on.
And you're right, that was one hell of a game.