Seahawks request to interview Bears DC Sean Desai

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1483665842764087296[/tweet]

Before rushing to judgment - Bears fans seem to enjoy this guy, and that's really saying something.

You all wanted to murder both coordinators after 12-4 last year. Can you imagine the team being as horrendous as the Bears and all of us nodding and saying "yeah, but that DC? pretty good. did great for what he had."

That's a big, big endorsement to me.

Also Fangio tree, like Donatell.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He'd probably be great. Chicago's defense has often been better than it looks on paper.

But I refuse to get my hopes up that they'll actually hire someone exciting to do that job. Or that a candidate like that would even take the Seattle DC job.

They're just going to promote Clint Hurtt. People will play it off as "it's so nice that they promote from within," which I get. It's a nice story. It's also how we ended up with years of mediocrity at best (and some of the worst defense of all time in some stretches) with Ken Norton, Jr.

It really seems to be more about Pete being in total control, and not wanting voices in the room that he can't dominate. He doesn't want innovative people with vision, he wants people to execute his vision.

It there was any evidence in the past five+ years that his vision can successfully push this team to compete for championships, I'd have no problem with that. There was certainly a time that that was the case.

It just doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

nwHawk

Reaction score
From what I’ve heard and read this guy has huge upside. Very intelligent, creative, a teacher/ communicator and younger than 64!

Count me “in”.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me this is an interesting prospect. From him Pete could acquire some very fresh thinking which wouldn't hurt in the slightest.

Somehow though I expect we will hear of more names for the DC position, but Desai is and genuinely fresh face with genuine real apparent ability.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete has demonstrated, since USC, that the primary attribute he looks for and promotes internally is loyalty to Pete and/or willingness to move in lockstep with him.

When Pete was competent? That was tolerable.

But as Pete veers closer and closer to senility it becomes apparent that whatever we hire is going to be someone that does not rock the boat, will not challenge accepted thinking, and does whatever it was that used to work long ago (which is what old people always roll back to)

This time might be different but I doubt it.

Another reason Pete won't hire a Zimmer or Fangio. Because they would challenge him.

It is one reason that I worry that once Pete leaves we are going to have a team infested with sycophants, yes-men, enablers, hangers-on, relatives, friends, etc. It sounds like, or at least looks like, people getting positions are getting them, not on merit, but on willingness to blindly follow Pete.

I see no reason DC will be different. But hey, he did hire Quinn. So sometimes he finds someone solid despite the above predilections. The odds are not good though....

Jville

Reaction score
I don't buy into any subservient argument. Pete's program is about helping others become the best they can be. If there is a downside, it makes itself known thru the delegation of responsibility to those who come up short from time to time.

I think the primary characteristic Pete Carroll looks for coaching assistants is with their teaching and communication skills. Pete has said that picking the best teachers for a coaching staff is more challenging than staffing a team with the best players available.

I'm comfortable with Pete and John taking all the time they need.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":5n2p13de said:
I don't buy into any subservient argument.
I'm comfortable with Pete and John taking all the time they need.
Yeah, I don't buy into that "Yes Man" crap theory either.
Just judging from the difference in Coaching styles between the last few DC guys, tells you that Pete is more hands off. :vodka:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe it has changed. But it WAS a problem at USC.

People can change.

They just rarely do.

It wasn't like he was hiring his sons to coach our OL or anything though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1e0lkebz said:
Maybe it has changed. But it WAS a problem at USC.

People can change.

They just rarely do.

It wasn't like he was hiring his sons to coach our OL or anything though.

You mean like Marty Schottenheimer likely did for his son? That would hardly be a knock on Pete, I mean what better way to get them into the position Coaching business? :Dunno:

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A total of 4 of the posts in this 11 post thread mention Desai in any way.

Can we maybe reserve this thread for posts that are at least tangentially related to Desai? Rather than emo whinging about the evil Pete Carroll?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2qggzk90 said:
Pete has demonstrated, since USC, that the primary attribute he looks for and promotes internally is loyalty to Pete and/or willingness to move in lockstep with him.

When Pete was competent? That was tolerable.

But as Pete veers closer and closer to senility it becomes apparent that whatever we hire is going to be someone that does not rock the boat, will not challenge accepted thinking, and does whatever it was that used to work long ago (which is what old people always roll back to)

This time might be different but I doubt it.

Another reason Pete won't hire a Zimmer or Fangio. Because they would challenge him.

It is one reason that I worry that once Pete leaves we are going to have a team infested with sycophants, yes-men, enablers, hangers-on, relatives, friends, etc. It sounds like, or at least looks like, people getting positions are getting them, not on merit, but on willingness to blindly follow Pete.

I see no reason DC will be different. But hey, he did hire Quinn. So sometimes he finds someone solid despite the above predilections. The odds are not good though....

So

Anything to say about Desai, or are you going to make the same post about Pete's abusive dictatorship (that, oddly, no one on the team seems to dislike) again?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It seems reasonable to me that in a thread about hiring a DC and the potential for this person to become our DC - that issues associated with the DC hiring process (which affect the selection potential of this person) would be inbounds.

Whether he would be a good DC or a great DC here, like Waldron in his circumstance, likely stems from 2 factors:

1 - Whether he is effective and able at his job

2 - Whether his coach allows him to actually effect #1.

It seems reasonable that if the selection criteria is less his competence and or ability to contribute, and more his ability to do exactly what Carroll wants, likely wanted before - then the outcome will likely not change either.

At that point, if all the DC does is follow Carroll to the letter - then the results will probably be whatever Carroll was producing earlier.

And that got the last DC fired.

We have a different opinion on Carroll, that is outside of the scope of this thread. But whether this DC can make an impact seems completely relevant.

On the surface, it would be difficult to be worse than one of the worst DCs ever in Seahawk history. So that is great. And the Bears produced solid results with a roster that wasn't star studded. But will it matter?

I don't believe that the best DC will get the job. And not sure Desai has much chance for that reason. But you never know. Again, Carroll hired Quinn. So he can occasionally not screw up DC hires. But he has a long, long history of getting some godawful assistant coaches and I do not think it is just by chance or even accident.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ir6wjer1 said:
It seems reasonable to me that in a thread about hiring a DC and the potential for this person to become our DC - that issues associated with the DC hiring process (which affect the selection potential of this person) would be inbounds.

Whether he would be a good DC or a great DC here, like Waldron in his circumstance, likely stems from 2 factors:

1 - Whether he is effective and able at his job

2 - Whether his coach allows him to actually effect #1.

It seems reasonable that if the selection criteria is less his competence and or ability to contribute, and more his ability to do exactly what Carroll wants, likely wanted before - then the outcome will likely not change either.

At that point, if all the DC does is follow Carroll to the letter - then the results will probably be whatever Carroll was producing earlier.

And that got the last DC fired.

We have a different opinion on Carroll, that is outside of the scope of this thread. But whether this DC can make an impact seems completely relevant.

On the surface, it would be difficult to be worse than one of the worst DCs ever in Seahawk history. So that is great. And the Bears produced solid results with a roster that wasn't star studded. But will it matter?

I don't believe that the best DC will get the job. And not sure Desai has much chance for that reason. But you never know. Again, Carroll hired Quinn. So he can occasionally not screw up DC hires. But he has a long, long history of getting some godawful assistant coaches and I do not think it is just by chance or even accident.

Incredibly insufferable post

Read the room.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is cute.

You have one year.

Shockingly you will figure out that the results are the same because changing the DC won't change the problem.

But I think you know that.

Desai is a very good DC and would probably thrive in many places. This is not one of those places.

TCHawks

Reaction score
I want a 3-4 which we ran at the year and someone who can turn Adams back into an all pro player.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TCHawks":3e8zydlu said:
I want a 3-4 which we ran at the year and someone who can turn Adams back into an all pro player.

If running a 4-3 under with bear looks... what exactly does switching to a 3-4 accomplish? Anything at all?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":1swbkqmy said:
Pete being a micromanager isn't conjecture. In order to not acknowledge this, you have to be ignoring a lot of information.

For starters, meddling with play calling to the degree thst you're causing delay of game penalties: https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/sea ... cromanager

Okay, so now you're saying that it doesn't matter who they bring in as the new DC, because Pete will just interfere with that Coach as well & cause a "Delay of Game" for the Defense too?

Lets take a look at just these last three games THIS season...It wasn't just me who noticed (and posted) a picture of Waldren's face when Penny broke for another of his Touchdowns.
Those three games looked A LOT like what Pete Carroll has been clamoring for in his much more "Ballanced Attack" approach...So, with an unsuccessful and "Nothing to Lose" 7 & 10 season ending with a showing of what >"Pete-balls" < Balanced Attack can bring to a stuttering Offense, and HELP take the HEAT off of your scrambling for his life Quarterback.
AS a Defensive minded Coach, wouldn't it stand to reason that Pete would know what kind of Offenses that would be the most challenging for his Defenses to go up against, and wouldn't he strive to find a DC that can make 'In Game' adjustments & could do better than Ken Norton Jr at getting the job done >ALL season long<?

>It was no accident that Pete went out & got Tom Cable to Coach his Power Run Offensive Line, and then hocked his socks for Marshawn Lynch, then Drafted an athletic Scrambling Russell Wilson.<

^This was a combo that Pete desired & built in the beginning^