Chris Mortensen reports what some want to hear.

VHawk

Reaction score
Said Pete Carroll will be monitoring RW's 3rd down conversions and will be ready to pull him out of the game if he struggles and put Matt Flynn in.I really hope RW can step his game up.

amill87

Reaction score
I doubt that. Too early to give up on Wilson. If you pull him for Flynn, you gotta give the season to Flynn unless Flynn goes out and is absolutely terrible.

*edit*Actually on second thought, I wouldn't put it past Pete to do it. He would probably keep rotating them like a RG....

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
And for all you so excited to see Flynn, just remember a few things: He didn't do squat in the pre-season, has not thrown the ball much at all the last few months with his elbow, he has the same lack of true targets to throw to as Wilson does, and Bevell is still the play caller.

Anyone expecting Flynn to ride in on a white horse and throw for 300 yds is going to be very, very disappointed.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
GOOD!

Not sure I believe C Mortenson but I want whoever is on the field to play well. To play better than Wilson has been thus far this year.

Let it be Wilson. That's fine with me and I will be cheering as loudly as any of you.

If not, get him out of there, please. I don't want to suffer the learning curve at the expense of wins.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
If we were 0-4 I could see this possibly happening. Possibly. But we're not.

I don't want to see a Carrol Quarterback Carousel, the rookie needs time.

Did anyone on here get a chance to listen to Jon Kitna on ESPN radio? He basically said the other 10 football players on offense need to make some plays and take some pressure off the QB.

amill87

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1ohrdwbk said:
And for all you so excited to see Flynn, just remember a few things: He didn't do squat in the pre-season, has not thrown the ball much at all the last few months with his elbow, he has the same lack of true targets to throw to as Wilson does, and Bevell is still the play caller.

Anyone expecting Flynn to ride in on a white horse and throw for 300 yds is going to be very, very disappointed.

:roll:

And if he does? Will you say it's because his line protected better, the receivers ran better routes, and Bevell called a better game?

Noone expects Flynn to throw for 300 yards (even though in one game he has thrown for more yards and TDs than Wilson has in his career) but hoping for a QB that can step up in the pocket, not make the receivers jump to catch balls, and hit wide open guys really isn't too much....

m0ng0

Reaction score
If he comes in I will root for him just as loudly and passionately as I did/do for Wilson.

amill87

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3k415fks said:
GOOD!

Not sure I believe C Mortenson but I want whoever is on the field to play well. To play better than Wilson has been thus far this year.

Let it be Wilson. That's fine with me and I will be cheering as loudly as any of you.

If not, get him out of there, please. I don't want to suffer the learning curve at the expense of wins.

Exactly. I was just talking to my friends last night about how pissed I'm gonna be if Carroll waits until it's too late to start Flynn and than on the odd chance Flynn tears it up, we end up at 8-8 and miss the playoffs because we wasted wins trying to teach Wilson.

But I am still rooting for Wilson to get better, because that makes the team better.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Me personally, I don't have a problem with RW and we saw what he's capable of doing in the preseason.

But this is year 3 of the PC era and he's built one of the best defenses in the league with a very good ground game, so expectations for a playoff year, a winning record is now expected and they cannot effort what I consider:

ON THE JOB TRAINING. We cannot sit and watch RW and the passing game struggle. We cannot gp thru his growing pains.

This Hawks have been behind in 3 of the 4 games going into the 4th quarter. This is not a team that can march down the field and a win from behind. Sure, we can make excuses for the 3 dropped balls that were not his fault, but that still doesn't excuse him for his terrible 3rd conversion rate. We're not talking about 3rd and long, they are 3rd and short and to me that's not excusible.

I hope he can make adjustments and go to his 2nd and 3rd options but he hasn't done it yet, so why should we think it will happen today?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck
Whitehurst
Jackson
Wilson
Flynn

You can't have five starting quarterbacks in two and a quarter seasons and expect to be a contender. Carroll needs to make a decision and stick to it.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1d9f7i55 said:
Hasselbeck
Whitehurst
Jackson
Wilson
Flynn

You can't have five starting quarterbacks in two and a quarter seasons and expect to be a contender. Carroll needs to make a decision and stick to it.

BUT you CAN have 4???? Are we just now on the threshold? Don't tell Pete Carroll what he can't do.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
This is probably more Wilson COULD get pulled if he doesn't step it up, not he will CERTAINELY pull him. This is Mortensens shtick. He has less inside sources on the Hawks than Hawkblogger or Kearly.

That said, Flynn better succeed in his chances or go right back to the bench. If we have to suffer growing pains with both, i choo choo choose Wilson (and there is a picture of a train.)

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
amill87":1ddufmaq said:
FlyingGreg":1ddufmaq said:

:roll:

And if he does? Will you say it's because his line protected better, the receivers ran better routes, and Bevell called a better game?

Noone expects Flynn to throw for 300 yards (even though in one game he has thrown for more yards and TDs than Wilson has in his career) but hoping for a QB that can step up in the pocket, not make the receivers jump to catch balls, and hit wide open guys really isn't too much....

NO ... I'll give him credit if he does. I just don't think it's going to be like flicking a switch - Flynn was check down Charlie in the pre-season. He just looked....blah.

Yeah, I've heard the same tired story of how great Flynn was in all two of his NFL starts. The problem that people conveniently leave out is he was throwing to Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Randall Cobb, and Jermichael Finley. Doesn't exactly match up with our talent at WR/TE, does it? For all that budding All Pro buzz he built terrorizing the vaunted Lions defense in that game last season, it sure didn't translate to much demand on the free agent market, did it? Teams realize he was set-up for success in Green Bay way more than he would be anywhere else. That could all change, of course. Just how I see it now.

And if we switch to Flynn, any cohesion developing whatsoever goes out the window and it's a re-start. I thought it was an odd decision to start Wilson to begin with, but once you put him out there I feel you have to let him endure the growing pains.

But no, if they do switch I'll support Flynn. I just think people should temper expectations.

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is a challenge for everyone so concerned about QB and want to assign all the blame on him.

Actually watch his supporting cast today...YOU KNOW?...The people he has to depend on to keep the other team from trying to stop him.

Start with the middle of the O-Line, then work out from there. Watch his receivers, are they coming back to the ball to help him out if he has to run, and can/will they hold onto the ball when it is thrown their way.......?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Well, I would perfer a checkdown that picks up 5 yards on a 3rd down and 4 then watching a QB scramble out of the pocket, cutting the field in half, waiting his his primary reciever to get open-which doesn't happen- and go thru another 3 and out.

I'm pretty sure the defense feels the same way,

truehawksfan

Reaction score
It's called knowing your down amd distance, understanding what the defense will give, wear down their opposing defense and suddenly that checkdown reciver breaks a tackle, or runs by a missed tackle and you pick up big yards.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Largent80":1k3scrdf said:
Watch his receivers, are they coming back to the ball to help him out if he has to run, and can/will they hold onto the ball when it is thrown their way.......?

I think you just touched on a part of the bigger problem as the receivers don't know if they should finish their routes or look to start blocking as they have no idea what he is going to do with the ball once he starts moving, as the season goes on I am hoping they start to develop a little more chemistry. It is definitely a 2 way street in that regard.

With Flynn they know to finish their routes as Matt is not very mobile and has a quicker release.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Largent80":1r97f22g said:
Here is a challenge for everyone so concerned about QB and want to assign all the blame on him.

Actually watch his supporting cast today...YOU KNOW?...The people he has to depend on to keep the other team from trying to stop him.

Start with the middle of the O-Line, then work out from there. Watch his receivers, are they coming back to the ball to help him out if he has to run, and can/will they hold onto the ball when it is thrown their way.......?

You are the only one who has EVER done this. All those with different opinions than yours have NEVER done this because their bull's eye is trained exclusively on Wilson!

BRILLIANT!